What CAN'T money buy?

DPCummerbund

Okay, there's happiness. But other than that, is there anything that subscribers get that ISN'T in the Cartel Store at all?

Like a lot of people, I'm debating going F2P. I know I'd have to buy a ton of stuff from the Cartel Store, but what - at least as of launch, based on the 1.5 update - isn't available yet?

For example, it does not appear that additional character slots are available now. For me, that's a gamebreaker - if I only get the rumored 2 slots, and can't buy any more, I won't be able to play, as I have too many alts doing too much crafting.

Is there anything else that's simply unavailable to F2P players?

Okay, there's happiness. But other than that, is there anything that subscribers get that ISN'T in the Cartel Store at all?

Like a lot of people, I'm debating going F2P. I know I'd have to buy a ton of stuff from the Cartel Store, but what - at least as of launch, based on the 1.5 update - isn't available yet?

For example, it does not appear that additional character slots are available now. For me, that's a gamebreaker - if I only get the rumored 2 slots, and can't buy any more, I won't be able to play, as I have too many alts doing too much crafting.

TBH, you really should stay subbed.

$15 for a sub + allowance of 500 CC (valued at $5) = $10 net sub.

Say you are a PvPer ( or one of the other catagories (PvE, Space) ) you are free but pay 240 CC per week to fully access your favorite part of the game.

Not sure about you but I see Free + the COST of 240 CC as < value than Sub + 500 CC allouance.

Not to mention all the limitations that come with Freemium.

:cool:

Edited by Urael

Well, I don't PVP at all, I just do solo PVE, so most of the weekly PVP content that looks expensive isn't really important to me. All I do is level toons, and at some point (my guess is about 8 months from now) I'll have finished all of them. I like the idea of being able to just "buy the game" and not have to pay a monthly fee any more, so I'd be willing to pay quite a bit to get all the stuff I'd need. However, if there's stuff I can't get at all, there's no point to that.

At some point - after launch when everything is really official - I might just do the math and add up everything in the Cartel Store that is of interest to me, and see how much it costs. However, what I'm most concerned about are the things I'll forget about or didn't read about. If I dropped my sub and spent $50-$100 in the Cartel Store, and then found out that there's something essential that I didn't have, I'd be really ticked.

Edited by DPCummerbund

Well, I don't PVP at all, I just do solo PVE, so most of the weekly PVP content that looks expensive isn't really important to me. All I do is level toons, and at some point (my guess is about 8 months from now) I'll have finished all of them. I like the idea of being able to just "buy the game" and not have to pay a monthly fee any more, so I'd be willing to pay quite a bit to get all the stuff I'd need. However, if there's stuff I can't get at all, there's no point to that.

Stay subbed to rack up your 500 CC per month alotment to go with your initial CC alotment. Wait to see if at the time of the next expansion it is offerred for CC in addition to $$. That's what I am going to do. I too am mainly a leveler in SWTOR. :cool:

Edited by Urael

Am I missing something other than the character slots, though?

To me, it just seems silly that they'd take something away from Subscriptions (like slots) and then NOT sell it back to you in the F2P store. In the words of Fry, "Shut up and take my money!"

Edited by DPCummerbund

Am I missing something other than the character slots, though?

To me, it just seems silly that they'd take something away from Subscriptions (like slots) and then NOT sell it back to you in the F2P store. In the words of Fry, "Shut up and take my money!"

Just you proved why they don't do it. If they don't keep some stuff only available for subs, then nobody would sub.

Edited by JimG

Stay subbed to rack up your 500 CC per month alotment to go with your initial CC alotment. Wait to see if at the time of the next expansion it is offerred for CC in addition to $$. That's what I am going to do. I too am mainly a leveler in SWTOR. :cool:

So - you guys just play it through as a single player game, or do you do all the MMO-style stuff while leveling but just aren't interested in raids / 50 PvP? Just curious - I like both aspects and have a couple guild mates who ONLY like the end game stuff, but dont personally know anyone who does what you do.

So - you guys just play it through as a single player game, or do you do all the MMO-style stuff while leveling but just aren't interested in raids / 50 PvP? Just curious - I like both aspects and have a couple guild mates who ONLY like the end game stuff, but dont personally know anyone who does what you do.

I primarily play it as a single player game and occasionally do some of the other stuff. I haven't been in a "large stable" guild in SWTOR yet to beable to do any "end game" content. If I want a theme park "end game" fix I go back to the large stable guild that I know that are playing WoW. :cool:

If u cant afford 14.99 something is wrong and u should sell your comp to make ur bills dont think that being a sub then going too f2p is going to be better its not it is really based on new players/old subs who just like the story if your a die hard tor player the last thing your thinking. About is the monthly stop the whining and play the game or dont and wait for f2p to come out and qq about that in a month i can see them now f2 sucks instead of all the im unssubing threads there will be resubbing threads

Even if it isnt available right at launch, rest assured they will sell you character slots. They will sell you bank slots, GTN access, flashpoint/op access, warzone access.... etc. Basically, anything access wise available in the pay game will probably be available on the cartel shop. It will probably cost you alot more then 15 bucks a month to get all that though.

Edited by Soluss

If u cant afford 14.99 something is wrong and u should sell your comp to make ur bills dont think that being a sub then going too f2p is going to be better its not it is really based on new players/old subs who just like the story if your a die hard tor player the last thing your thinking. About is the monthly stop the whining and play the game or dont and wait for f2p to come out and qq about that in a month i can see them now f2 sucks instead of all the im unssubing threads there will be resubbing threads

Thanks, but no. You may have noticed that this is not an "unsubbing" thread or a "QQing" thread, I'm just simply asking for more information about the F2P store.

As to being able to "afford" the $14.99 per month - again, not the point. I still have a LotRO account, but don't play it very often. I have friends who still do, though, and have played it off and on since launch 5 years ago. I like the idea of going F2P, and being able to go a month or two without playing & not have to bother with cancelling or resubbing.

Again, if you look at my posts, I'm expecting to spend $50-$100 to buy everything I need from the Cartel store, and I really don't want to do that and THEN find out I can't get everything I absolutely need. If you can afford to throw away $100 on an experiment, good for you, "ur" awesome. On the other hand, I can write complete sentences, so I guess we're even.

Thanks, but no. You may have noticed that this is not an "unsubbing" thread or a "QQing" thread, I'm just simply asking for more information about the F2P store.

As to being able to "afford" the $14.99 per month - again, not the point. I still have a LotRO account, but don't play it very often. I have friends who still do, though, and have played it off and on since launch 5 years ago. I like the idea of going F2P, and being able to go a month or two without playing & not have to bother with cancelling or resubbing.

Again, if you look at my posts, I'm expecting to spend $50-$100 to buy everything I need from the Cartel store, and I really don't want to do that and THEN find out I can't get everything I absolutely need. If you can afford to throw away $100 on an experiment, good for you, "ur" awesome. On the other hand, I can write complete sentences, so I guess we're even.

$ 180 buys you a year of no worries about having to choose features + 6000 CC. :)

Just you proved why they don't do it. If they don't keep some stuff only available for subs, then nobody would sub.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Assuming you use all aspects of the game (lots of character slots, all the gear, dozens of GTN slots, all the flashpoints, etc.), it would cost you several years' worth of subscription fees to buy all that in the Cartel store. People would still sub if it was obviously a lot cheaper. That appears to be the case here too. A subscription can offer either "value" or "access", and it seems they're doing both. I just wish they'd make it more clear.

$ 180 buys you a year of no worries about having to choose features + 6000 CC. :)

True, but again I'm using the LotRO players for comparison. It has been 2 years since their F2P launch. 2 years X $15 per month = $360. I doubt I'd spend that much in the Cartel store. The people I know who went F2P have spent maybe $50 per year, mostly on expansions and stuff. The longer you play, the more difference it makes.

Ok OP, I'm getting mad for you. You've asked a simple question (sorry, but I don't know the answer) and been bombarded with unwanted advice and arguements on why you should just stay subbed. Can anyone just answer this poor man's question without suggesting he doesn't know what's best for him?

Hey OP,

Here's a list of reasons I'm sticking with my sub:

- Free respecs for subscribers.

- Even cheaper mod removal costs for subs.

- Higher queue position. If F2P is as successful as they hope it is this could become an issue.

- Just the hassle of having to buy all those passes on a weekly basis seems annoying.