Will we see our Class Stories continued? Yes or no?

CelCawdro

yes you will see your class story continued.

No not on makeb.

Makeb not having class stories was confirmed a while ago, but what is worrying about this is that every question about class stories post-release has been dodged by stating something about story content in other areas of the game. They've all but stated that class stories are indefinitely on the back burner, instead focusing on generalized stories that can be experienced by all players regardless of class choice.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makeb not having class stories was confirmed a while ago, but what is worrying about this is that every question about class stories post-release has been dodged by stating something about story content in other areas of the game. They've all but stated that class stories are indefinitely on the back burner, instead focusing on generalized stories that can be experienced by all players regardless of class choice.

They have very talented and high priced voice artists in their game, Steve Blum as well as other well known anime voice actors. EA cut their staff, cut their budget, and likely told them they cant afford to pay these people as much.

You can bet they're going over the entire game and seeing just how much dialogue they can mash together and reuse without having to pay the artists more money. So yes, its going to take a long time. This game is great, but they did fail hard thanks to EA forcing an early release, and we'll suffer the consequences.

I pose a very simple, but very important, question.

I would very much like to see an answer to it, although I fear that I will not. That small question encapsulates, for me, the very essence of this game. SW:TOR does many things, but the only thing that it does that is unique in this genre is a personal story - one which forms your character. I speak for no one else, but I can safely say that if the answer to that question is, "No," I truly have no reason to continue playing.

New dailies, new flashpoints, new operations, new warzones - to me, that is all busywork. I've done it all before in other games, I've done a little of it here simply to see the content, but I have no desire to hop onto the gear treadmill again. I maintain a subscription to WoW for when I want to play WoW. The difference is that WoW is a common denominator to MMO players - virtually all of us have dabbled in it to different degrees. MMOs are best played with friends, and stating that BioWare continues to update with content akin to a game they're all already playing isn't exactly an easy sale to my friends and family who are already playing together.

Don't get me wrong - I love SW:TOR. But I do not love the aspects of it that simply ape other games. I love what it does, uniquely. I'm actually saving the Jedi Knight storyline for a Kel Dor which will probably never exist. I realize that I got a little wordy, but I truly do want this game to be successful, and I do not believe that it can be if it continues to cater exclusively to a group of players that are already enjoying a different game.

I understand that people need something to do, and thus I understand that repeatable content is required. I'm not asking that development on all non-story content be immediately halted, nor am I asking that I have a weekly story update for my characters. Planetary story arcs are fine, but if that is the sole future of the only unique aspect of my conceptually favourite MMO, I will be quite saddened, to say the least.

TL;DR I am not demanding that I get class story content now - I am merely asking if we will ever get more.

And if we're never going to see our characters develop further, at the very least, please replace the word "INTERLUDE" on the loading screen with "EPILOGUE." It's quite misleading.

They almost have to continue the class quests. The F2Prs get story for free and once they finish it. They will stop playing. I would. Cause if the stuff I have to pay to access isnt as easy as jumping in and playing with out a long process of organizing a bunch of people to do I am NOT paying for it...This is why I sub. I was really hoping TOR would have been more like guild wars 2 when F2P hit. I play both games. However I really like the fact that I payed for guild wars 2 and have access to everything in the game. Theres nothing in the shop I cant get playing normally for combat.

I doubt we will see story lines continue for some time yet.

I highly doubt EA are willing to pump any more money into the game yet.

If F2P takes off and nets them a decent profit then maybe but as it stands right now I can't see a chapter 4 anytime soon.

Edited by Gomla

They almost have to continue the class quests. The F2Prs get story for free and once they finish it. They will stop playing. I would. Cause if the stuff I have to pay to access isnt as easy as jumping in and playing with out a long process of organizing a bunch of people to do I am NOT paying for it...This is why I sub. I was really hoping TOR would have been more like guild wars 2 when F2P hit. I play both games. However I really like the fact that I payed for guild wars 2 and have access to everything in the game. Theres nothing in the shop I cant get playing normally for combat.

While I believe that class stories are a necessity to my continued enjoyment of the game, I do not believe that your particular justification applies. All content is finite in SW:TOR, and the point of F2P is to entice people to pay for additional content.

Yes we will.

Remember while you consider things like WZs and OPs busy work, the people that focus those consider leveling to be busywork. Think of it as a pendulum, they focus on end game for a while (which most people agree was lacking at launch hence the extreme focus on it till now) then to story, then back to end game, then back to story. Rinse and repeat as long as the game is profitable.

Last i seen them talk about our class stories being continued, was Hickman talking at the show in Germany, where he said, that our class stories will continue in epic expansions, how often will we see an epic expansion, your guess is a good as mine, but I think they will be rare,, which is kinda sad for me, because the class stories to me was one of the best parts of the game.. I hope thats is at least still the case..:) Edited by kevlarto

I severely doubt we'll see any chapters beyond 3 for a long while, even if they are already scripted and recorded. Bioware would have thrown them at the shrinking subscriber base. I mean, for crying out loud, they did a free month to cushion up their quarterlies. So even if script and VA is already there, there must be some major development still undone.

Considering the positively glacial pace of updates, the tooling and / or processes must require some serious manpower and / or money, and this is something this dying game will not get.

I wished so hard for it to be otherwise, but by now, I call it like I see it. Any story half-done by now will probably rot in a drawer or a network share.

Were the voice actors contracted for future work on the game?

Even if BioWare paid them for more voice overs, if one of the ones that voiced the classes didn't return would you want your character to suddenly switch to a new voice for Chapter 4?

Even if BioWare paid them for more voice overs, if one of the ones that voiced the classes didn't return would you want your character to suddenly switch to a new voice for Chapter 4?

If that is the only way to have the class stories continue, then of course! The original voices would be great, but it certainly wouldn't be a game breaker. I just want more chapters, any way I can get them!

I doubt we will see story lines continue for some time yet.

I highly doubt EA are willing to pump any more money into the game yet.

If F2P takes off and nets them a decent profit then maybe but as it stands right now I can't see a chapter 4 anytime soon.

This assumes that they haven't already done it. Based on what they've said previous (but not for a long time) they scripted class stories out much further and because it takes so much time to do all the VO recording they hinted that some of that was done or already being done for content not out. I think they already have some money invested into continuing class stories, the question is how much and at what point they would be willing to cut their losses. I have a hard time believing that they've given up on it already, F2P is an attempt to breath new life into the game, should F2P fall on it's face, then we may not see any more content after that because EA may cut loses then. Overall I suspect we will see more story.

Also data mining for 1.5 on PTS shows there are Chapter 4 references in it.

Apparently so, they also have "stocks" of voice too.

I agree with everyone here that this is a must have for my continued enjoyment of the game although it's doubtful it will come anytime soon.

When Makeb comes out the level cap is raising to 55 which is not a full expansion. ( I believe)

I think that they will eventually release another large patch/small expansion to up the level cap to 60 and provide another planet with a planet story arc.

Then we will see a real expansion that leads to level 70 and continuation of our class story!

I think it will be a long time, if ever.

Here is an interview that does not reference class stories but it talks about companion storylines; looks like we wont be seeing much continuation for them anytime soon. I dont think individual storlines is financialy obtainable yet.

http://www.swtorface.com/2012/09/swtor-companion-qna-with-lead-system.html

Q: Are there any plans to advance on current Companion story lines? Some of us have developed intimate relations with our Companions, and even married them and now they won't talk to us!

A: I will put this as 'on our radar screen but not imminent'. Building companion content is very, very expensive for us (most people only play one of their companions heavily, so there is a one-in-forty chance that any companion content will be consumed). Also, the benefits of companions once you hit level 50 isn't great since you don't use them for operations or warzones. I'd really like to address the utility problem before we jump on creating more content for them.

Edited by kirorx

I think it will be a long time, if ever.

Here is an interview that does not reference class stories but it talks about companion storylines; looks like we wont be seeing much continuation for them anytime soon. I dont think individual storlines is financialy obtainable yet.

http://www.swtorface.com/2012/09/swtor-companion-qna-with-lead-system.html

Q: Are there any plans to advance on current Companion story lines? Some of us have developed intimate relations with our Companions, and even married them and now they won't talk to us!

A: I will put this as 'on our radar screen but not imminent'. Building companion content is very, very expensive for us (most people only play one of their companions heavily, so there is a one-in-forty chance that any companion content will be consumed). Also, the benefits of companions once you hit level 50 isn't great since you don't use them for operations or warzones. I'd really like to address the utility problem before we jump on creating more content for them.

A good solution to this would be to continue the love interest companion's story line while putting the other on the back burner. Maybe for every 3 LI story continuation you get 1 non love interest continuation.