Does Splicing need a nerf?

TheSwamper

Disclaimer: I'm not saying it does, just asking the question.

This one skill is so lucrative it seems like a no-brainer to have one alt level up splicing and be an atm for your other characters. I've not tried it at the upper levels yet, but so far it seems to be a license to print credits.

This one skill is so lucrative it seems like a no-brainer to have one alt level up splicing and be an atm for your other characters. I've not tried it at the upper levels yet, but so far it seems to be a license to print credits.

Although it is good for credit boosts, I'm not sure it needs nerfed. You're not going to make money too fast at lower levels just by doing the missions. The 49-50 lvl missions take 30mins to an hour and sometimes you pay 2k creds for a 1k return.

Actually going out and farming chests can be lucrative though.

I think it prolly does, its a huge huge credit faucet, and could lead to a messed up economy quickly.

Edit: I'm referring to my beta experience, where you could get rich with it very quickly from missions. If it has been reduced since then, it may be okay and I may not know what I'm talking about.

Edited by Kleinone

Actually it is much tamed down from a few phases ago in beta, it tapers off and its best use is in the earliest levels. At high levels there are far more lucrative ways to make creds.

And yes it is the only pure money maker crew skill, but that is the purpose it is supposed to serve.

And if in doing so it also serves to get you and everyone else to roll another alt just to do it, it's definitely doing something right.

Alexis

*smiles*

I think it prolly does, its a huge huge credit faucet, and could lead to a messed up economy quickly.

If you're going to say that you may as well say Treasure Hunting is as well. You can get money, gear, and the rare gems needed for Artificing from treasure hunting.

No. You don't make a broken amount of money, and generally that means you won't be crafting your own items.....or at the very least you will be dumping alot of money into the AH (trade market...whatever it is) buying other peoples materials to be able to finish your crafting.

So no. It makes you some money, but that money goes back into the economy buying other crafted goods that you will need.

For the record, I currently have slicing but the next time I log-in I'm dropping it for Underworld Trading. Slicing has given me a solid nest egg, but it's simply not enough to make up for the Armormech mats I need that I can't get without Underworld Trading. After Terenthium, the prices absolutely skyrocket on the market... and right now, the best slicing missions take about 15 minutes and, even if they don't fail, the profit margin isn't always that impressive.

I might send my guys on one more mission each, grab the cash from those, and then start working on UT so I can focus on making my Armormech skills as awesome as possible.

probably at low lv artificer makes more money since you can buy the crystal stone at npc for 10 creds then reverse engineer it for mats that sell for 3 to 4 times the investment. Plus it takes small amount of time to buy and reverse engineer opposed to sending a crew to do slicing. Edited by Damedus

IDK.. lemme get out my splicers and splice and crimp this here cable.. crap back to the basic 8.. nope, no nerf needed.

By the time you add in the cost of the mission, your profit can be little to none.

There where quite a few missions where the credit box gave me less then the mission cost. I had a few missions that cost 95 credits but returned less then 95 credits from the credit box, resulting in a loss.

I started to find safes out in the world for full profit. One safe, i got a rare credit box that gave me 346 credits plus the normal credit box that gave a little over 100 credits plus 2 skill up points. Yea, that was payday :-)

So a nerf to Slicing would make it pretty much useless.

I'll be the first to admit that I have made a fair credit with slicing. But I also keep this in mind:

Slicing skill will cap, as will the average of money that you make from it. While it seems high now.... after economies experience inflation and the value of items increases, slicers will still be making the same amount of cash while the gatherers products keep growing in value.

So, I guess that means my answer is that the straight credits aspect of slicing may look a bit broken in the beginning, but I feel it will taper off in the long run into just being some spare change. I may be wrong, but that's how the future looks to me.

Edited by Aerokus

Level 41 Powertech reporting in with 400/400 splicing.

Just wanted to let you know that while splicing is amazing during the leveling process, once you get to 400/400 it stinks and I will not be keeping it at max level.

The advantage is that yes, it gives you credits while you level, but the max level missions aren't that great compared to the other professions.