Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Stupid F2P Restrictions

MoltenRog

Yeah a few I'd like to point out that I've not seen in other F2P games before.

A restriction on Death for F2P users, this isn't going to go down well, after 5 deaths you have to purchase a license to stop dying at the nearest point.

Sprint at level 1 disabled?

Purchase a weekly pass for flash points, nobody does flash points enough for you to provide it as a weekly pass?

Emergency fleet pass restrictions, gotta pay money to get an 18 hour cool down, good luck with that.

You might as well start charging people 50 cartel coins to login, or 50 cartel coins to buy an item from a vendor or to be able to sell.

Some of the features are stupid and you will get nothing but public out roar over it. Yes, I'm well aware some people can live without these features.

But i don't like it and im paying user who's been subscribed since release and i think some of these free to play changes are ridiculous, it's gotten to the point that the cash shop won't just be a content / cosmetic feature, but you people at Bioware will force new players to pay for most of the ground up features that are free in other games, so good luck with this plan because if you go through with it, it will most likely fail.

Edited by AllisonBerryman
typo

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no sprint at level 1 when many players leveled their first toon.

Just saying

yeah. seriously. you don't exactly need speed on korriban :rolleyes:

that's like complaining you can't use the first speeder at lvl 10 if you don't have your legacy unlocked yet.

game breaking? speed? yikes. reminds me of people yelling at me for joining warzones at lvl 10 because I didn't have speed yet and me still being the one with the top medals at the end... :D

Edited by amnie

None of this will bother me, I will remain a subscriber. 5 in the field then to nearest med centre. Man, is it that bad. I look at the way "the MMO that shall not be named" has it by going to a grave yard and traveling back to your body, or res at the spirit in the grave yards with a debuff. I personally think the way SWTOR has it is far better. not to mention, if you have died in the field 5 times in a row and need to go back to a med centre, chances are you will need to be close to repairing your gear. Edited by MikeTheDuke
Found more information

When I heard SWTOR was going FTP, I actually went and bought a month just so that I could come back into the game and fall in love with it. Now that I see the kinds of restrictions on FTP players, I'm once again facing the sinking, ice-in-the-gut feeling that is one simple fact: The game isn't worth paying to play, and FTP is just going to be a headache.

Three flashpoints a week? Outrageous. I run that on a new toon in the Esseles instantly. Three warzones a week? I burn them out in about two hours if that. Limiting inventory space and cargo hold space for cartel coins? Sheesh Bioware and EA, you might as well tell players "here is a butchered, neutered trial version of our game for you" and just get rid of the free-to-play notion.

Remember Free to play is just that Free. However a gaming company needs to make money so special stuff will cost you to unlock. Just like with free food......you don't really have a right to complain, if you don't like it then don't eat it.

When I heard SWTOR was going FTP, I actually went and bought a month just so that I could come back into the game and fall in love with it. Now that I see the kinds of restrictions on FTP players, I'm once again facing the sinking, ice-in-the-gut feeling that is one simple fact: The game isn't worth paying to play, and FTP is just going to be a headache.

Three flashpoints a week? Outrageous. I run that on a new toon in the Esseles instantly. Three warzones a week? I burn them out in about two hours if that. Limiting inventory space and cargo hold space for cartel coins? Sheesh Bioware and EA, you might as well tell players "here is a butchered, neutered trial version of our game for you" and just get rid of the free-to-play notion.

Actually sounds like a decent amount for free the way you put it. If you are speding that much time in the game support it(buy coins or sub).

Its simple really. If you want to keep playing the game, keep subbing.

If your still a subscriber when the game goes F2P, nothing will change for you. The game goes on as it always has before.

Edited by Z-ToXiN

None of this will bother me, I will remain a subscriber. 5 in the field then to nearest med centre. Man, is it that bad. I look at the way "the MMO that shall not be named" has it by going to a grave yard and traveling back to your body, or res at the spirit in the grave yards with a debuff. .

I started playing wow again after taking a break I forgot how utterly annoying corpse runs are. SWTOR spoiled me :/ Also, occasionally I have gotten stuck in terrain in ghost form and was forced to go back to the grave yard and start all over.

I find the F2P restrictions just fine given that its supposed to be for CASUAL players. And whining about sprint at level 1 disabled? It use to be like level 13.

Whining about 5 rezzes with med probe? Is this your first MMO? Thats a huge luxury option that doesnt even need to be there. WTB naked corpse runs across huge continents please.

You get what you play for boys and girls. The game, in some form, will be free.

You have some choices:

1. Play it free, and live with what is given to you for *nothing*.

2. Pay a bit for cartel coins to do some things you want to do, while not paying a monthly sub.

3. Pay for a monthly sub, and get to do all sorts of things.

4. Leave.

OP. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Remember Free to play is just that Free. However a gaming company needs to make money so special stuff will cost you to unlock. Just like with free food......you don't really have a right to complain, if you don't like it then don't eat it.

Exactly. Currently people who play for free can level up to 15 and that is it. Everything in the future of F2P is better than what they can do now. From a new player standpoint that starts when F2P hits, they will find that when they die they have to run back, (like most every other game out there) but they have 5 free uses to have a rez used to save them the trip. If they like that feature, they can pay to use it more.

totally agree with you. I've seen Cash Shops with things like this ruin some cool F2P games where I spend money on items to get augmented bag space, another char slot, stuff like that. I think the death penalty is gamebreaking enough as it is now, there's no need to mess that up even more.

Yeah i know that but you shouldn't have to pay cartel coins to unlock abilities, thats pretty much game breaking.

Not at all. Game breaking would be not being able to move at all. You'll just be moving slower without it.

The idea is to make some money off of people who won't pay the subscription price. I'm all for it. I don't think freeloaders should get everything that we pay for. If they want the convenience of moving faster, they'll pay for it. Otherwise they can put up with moving slower.

The same goes for the fleet pass and other features that we're getting as part of a subscription. Pay up or do without.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.