HuttBall 101 - A Player Guide

Highcommander

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great guide!

Not sure if it's been mentioned by other posters, but there's another couple of great tricks; one for grapple hook classes, and one for stealth classes.

If the enemy ball handler is going across the ramps, you can jump off (so that you would land in the pit) and harpoon the handler in mid air. This will hoist the handler out into thin air, and drop them into the pit.

With a stealthy partner, you can bypass the ramps altogether. You alluded to this with the addition of the Juggernaught intercede trick, but this is a little different. First, the stealthed player hides on the opposing goal line. The ball handler ignores the ramps (or tricks enemies into climbing onto it) and instead runs through the pit - dodging fire traps, precarious platforms and all sorts of concentrated dps.

When the stealthed player sees the ball approaching, he moves to the lip of the pit, decloaks, and the ball is passed to him. Result? The majority of enemies are trapped in the pit, and the ball is transferred to a full health (and fully cooldown'd) player just yards from the line.

The best way to defend is to have a stealthed Assassin just outside your spawn gate and have them pull the ball carrier whenever they get close to your goal thus instantly killing them.

I have reported people for doing this thinking it was an obvious exploit, but Bioware (in their infinite wisdom) has ruled that it is completely as intended.. even though there is no counter, no way to prevent it and nothing you can do about it what-so-ever.

Edited by Milco

It cannot be stressed enough that the team who has the ball is in control of the game.

I have seen way too many times a neutral ball situation where 2 or 3 derpmates are standing right next to the ball shooting their derprounds/herpsiles at random people and ignoring the ball.

In a classic situation just today I was low on life so I gripped the only enemy near the ball spawn so my friend at full life could take it, only to see him/her speed off into the sunset.:mad:

Edited by pokstair

I would like you to add how to pass the ball. The first time I played I thought the ball gets to you target. First - it's not easy to target you teammate in a warzone, Socond - it doesn't work. I was playing a Juggernaut, and since we don't have any AoE abilities I didn't see the circle to AoE.

Still a great guide, learned a few tricks now :)

I would like you to add how to pass the ball. The first time I played I thought the ball gets to you target. First - it's not easy to target you teammate in a warzone, Socond - it doesn't work. I was playing a Juggernaut, and since we don't have any AoE abilities I didn't see the circle to AoE.

Still a great guide, learned a few tricks now :)

There's a cast range to the distance you can throw the ball.

If you are trying to pass to a higher platform, try aiming your mouse at the corner, otherwise its very hard to target it correctly.

Also, HOTKEY YOUR PASS HUTTBALL ABILITY TO AN EASY TO REACH BUTTON, THIS HELPS A LOT

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this.

Recently, I noticed that at the end of a match, I've had only 400 objective points (200 offensive, 200 defensive) even though I'd scored at least once.

Is a score only worth 200 points? I'm used to seeing my objective points at least break a thousand. What did I do wrong that match?

Edited by duelpad

The best way to defend is to have a stealthed Assassin just outside your spawn gate and have them pull the ball carrier whenever they get close to your goal thus instantly killing them.

I have reported people for doing this thinking it was an obvious exploit, but Bioware (in their infinite wisdom) has ruled that it is completely as intended.. even though there is no counter, no way to prevent it and nothing you can do about it what-so-ever.

Isn't the spawn gate behind the goal? I'm surprised this works as I'd expect the game to score the point before killing the ball carrier.

Just so were clear, Huttball sucks for bounty hunters. Just sayin.

Re-spec Pyro and re-think your stance. We make fantastic Aggressors when it comes to range-hounding ball-carriers, and can control mid very well. (I'm Merc)

If you control mid, the opposing team can't even begin stage 1. Not everyone who is killing players down there is being a jerk. I'm fully aware my role is not suited to being a ball-carrier. I don't have a leap, I don't have a pull, I don't have an interrupt. I rip people apart. But even better than actually killing everyone I see, I scare them away from the ball and the carrier. Apply some DOTs, work in an instant-cast combo for 5-8k...and 9 times out of 10, they turn tail and scatter. Off to find easier prey, but not re-spawning ahead of the carrier.

I wish more people knew that when your team has the ball near your opponent's goal line, a stun/snare or pit KB is many times better than a kill. Or as I mentioned, do enough front-loaded burst to them to scare them off from the gravy-train. As much as it's logical to get yourself killed so you're back there to stop a ball-carrier from scoring...99% of all pug players succumb to their baser instinct to survive.

I hate having the ball in a pug...no one ever goes forward to receive a pass. They play it like rugby, staying behind you. It's brutal. I wish everyone was forced to read this guide before they queued. You always have the self-important J-hole at the start yelling "PASS THE BALL PPL!" but that same guy stands there scratching his *** 10 meters behind you waiting for a pass, when he should be 25m ahead, or on a different level to accept.

Also, when you have the ball and you're on the ground...for the love of everything that you find holy...look up!

I don't enjoy huttball. In fact, I'm finding I'm not enjoying PvP at level 50 much at all. I felt I was getting better (first MMO I've played PvP) and getting some strategies for my dps trooper before I hit 50, but those with good gear just slaughter me and I can't make a dent in them and I think my ever decreasing confidence is making me get worse with each day I battle to get my dailies done. I'll keep at it a bit longer before I toss it in and spin up an alt.

Anyway, having read this guide, I've been trying to get ahead of my team mates, when I can see spots where I might be able to take the ball and then just toss it to the next team member (if there is a spot where I can do that before I get slaughered before I manage to pass). I just played a game where I ran in front of the ball handler. Everyone was in a big brawl quite a way back from the goal line, but having read this guide, I ran and stood over the goal line so he could pass me the ball - just in case there was a stealth lurking to take the ball off him. The ball handler stood there, not passing for a few seconds then told me to get out of the goal area. I'm just wondering, could he not toss me the ball or run it over the line because I was standing there? What have I missed? Really made me feel like I've completely missed something and nearly lost that goal for my team. Another confidence zapping game of huttball! I'd like to contribute more to the team, so feedback would be great.

Anyway, having read this guide, I've been trying to get ahead of my team mates, when I can see spots where I might be able to take the ball and then just toss it to the next team member (if there is a spot where I can do that before I get slaughered before I manage to pass). I just played a game where I ran in front of the ball handler. Everyone was in a big brawl quite a way back from the goal line, but having read this guide, I ran and stood over the goal line so he could pass me the ball - just in case there was a stealth lurking to take the ball off him. The ball handler stood there, not passing for a few seconds then told me to get out of the goal area. I'm just wondering, could he not toss me the ball or run it over the line because I was standing there? What have I missed? Really made me feel like I've completely missed something and nearly lost that goal for my team. Another confidence zapping game of huttball! I'd like to contribute more to the team, so feedback would be great.

If there was an enemy or two in close proximity to you, then perhaps he was worried the ball would be intercepted.

How far away from the carrier are we talking here? There is a limited range to how far you can pass - if the carrier is on the top scaffolding and you're at the goal line, you're too far. Once you get more experience running the ball yourself you'll get a feel for the range.

More likely though, he's just a baddie :p Lots of people miss point-winning passes cause they think they are good just cause a healer or two is frantically focusing heals on them.

Edited by pokstair

How far away from the carrier are we talking here? There is a limited range to how far you can pass - if the carrier is on the top scaffolding and you're at the goal line, you're too far. Once you get more experience running the ball yourself you'll get a feel for the range.

More likely though, he's just a baddie :p Lots of people miss point-winning passes cause they think they are good just cause a healer or two is frantically focusing heals on them.

I was pretty much back to the wall on the scoring side of the goal line, and he was standing toes to the goal line. I don't really get, if he didn't want to pass to me, why he didn't just walk it over the line, but told me to move?? Can he not walk over the line if I'm there ??

There was no need for you to move.

I have grown to like Huttball. Being Imp I really don't have much choice but to play it. Lots of pugs and lots of lopsided games but enough really good games to make it interesting.

Throwing the ball is tough to master especially when you are stunlocked and being wailed on and you can't do a thing about it.

You really need to control mid forward and have people clearing the path.

If you can pull your team then get in front and look for an opportunity to pull them to you.

Half the time the other team is looking around clueless as the ball runner crosses the line.

If you are a stealth class get in position to receive the ball in the end zone. You have to be unstealthed to catch the ball. If you have the ball don't stealth as you lose the ball.

Be careful around your end zone as the enemy may be able to pull them to you and if you are in the endzone well....

Be careful around your end zone as the enemy may be able to pull them to you and if you are in the endzone well....

Try doing Leap + Force Push + Leap to the goalline for a score. You'll feel like a hero (and the poor sod you just abused will feel pretty sad).

Edited by pokstair

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, you can instant kill someone by force pulling them up to your starting area, which is a great way to deny a score if you spawn when they are carrying the ball to your goal line... You don't get credit for the kill or objective though.

This is awesome..

by the way (and i don't want to start a new topic for this) My valor is around 50 right now, so I did couple of warzones. I found Frog Dog team is winning something like 70-80% of matches, doesn't matter which team I am in. A strange coincidence?

ok im not a big huttball fan but when i do get thrown into the games litterly everytime i step on the airlift i get thrown into the center where u pick up the ball it doesnt matter if i got the ball or not its getting really anonying and biowear needs to fix this!!!

I don't enjoy huttball. In fact, I'm finding I'm not enjoying PvP at level 50 much at all. I felt I was getting better (first MMO I've played PvP) and getting some strategies for my dps trooper before I hit 50, but those with good gear just slaughter me and I can't make a dent in them and I think my ever decreasing confidence is making me get worse with each day I battle to get my dailies done. I'll keep at it a bit longer before I toss it in and spin up an alt.

I love matches when everyone is in a big mass fighting and the ball is just sitting on the pedestal and I just walk up, grab the ball, and casually make for the goal, uncontested! Everyone else is too busy trying to kill each other!

I love when they get to 5/0 in a heartbeat...then one of our guys whos actually one of their guys...gets the ball. And since he's actually one of theirs on our team..they leave him alone. And he proceeds to run it back to our line and stands there as they then farm us to the end.:(

by the way (and i don't want to start a new topic for this) My valor is around 50 right now, so I did couple of warzones. I found Frog Dog team is winning something like 70-80% of matches, doesn't matter which team I am in. A strange coincidence?

On my server, Rotworms almost always win. What I've also noticed, is I've never ever been on Rotworms. I'm on Frog-Dogs literally every game, are characters just assigned teams permanently? I mean the statistical probability of that is astronomically low.

I play my face off, often having very high scores in damage, protection, with a high amount of effective ball carrying time, but it seems like Frog-Dogs are always behind or filled with people that drop group. :(

Edited by Nahela

Awesome Article!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, unless you are playing, practicing with a premade group all your efforts will go for naught. There is no way that anyone can ever collaborate like this with a PUG. To tell the truth the game is played more like kill the guy with the ball then Hutt Ball. Most of the time nobody even tries to score.

I think a good suggestion would be to take a page from Rift and make the ball carrier slowly lose health the longer he holds onto the ball. At least this way it will promote the passing game and perhaps actually make people try to score.