HuttBall 101 - A Player Guide

Highcommander

Can someone explain how you get 'game points' (cant remember the terminology).

I am only level 29 but am generally 3rd or so in both damage and healing. I can get around 4/5 medals per game, but I just can't get my points up. I'm refering to the points that you get for attacking or defending the ball.

I just don't know how they are calculated.

Can someone please share???????

Regards

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain how you get 'game points' (cant remember the terminology).

I am only level 29 but am generally 3rd or so in both damage and healing. I can get around 4/5 medals per game, but I just can't get my points up. I'm refering to the points that you get for attacking or defending the ball.

I just don't know how they are calculated.

Can someone please share???????

Regards

Defender points? In Huttball, I think they're accrued by damaging the person with the ball. I've never been 100% certain with that, though. The only map I can consistently get defender points on is Alderaan, where you get them by just standing near a turret that you own.

So when its a tie, the team who has possession of the ball wins the game? is that how it is?

Because I was just in a game, and It was 1-0. Then we scored and it became 1-1.

no one scored after that, and then the Rotworms took possession of the ball and held it for the last 30seconds, and they won.... I thought it was the last team that scored in a tie that won the matchs up usually. Atleast thats how it was in WoW with Warsong Gulch.

Do some PVP games have a mechanic where in a tie the team that had posession longest during the match wins? I know its a bit of a cry fest saying this, but in a tough match where we scored early, had posession , but couldn't score a second time. The other team finally scored and we lost posession of the ball in the final seconds. We thought because we had posession for the majority of the match or even because we kept the ball in their endzone for most of the match that we would be awarded the match on points of some type. We lost and felt cheated a bit.

Do some PVP games have a mechanic where in a tie the team that had posession longest during the match wins? I know its a bit of a cry fest saying this, but in a tough match where we scored early, had posession , but couldn't score a second time. The other team finally scored and we lost posession of the ball in the final seconds. We thought because we had posession for the majority of the match or even because we kept the ball in their endzone for most of the match that we would be awarded the match on points of some type. We lost and felt cheated a bit.

Yeah, I've had this happen, too. Had a game that ended 1-1. Our team scored in the first 30 seconds, then we literally went the entire game without any scoring on either side. They finally scored in the final few seconds, then grabbed the ball and won. Was kind of lame since we were literally in the lead for the entire game.

I think it's just one of those things where it sucks when it causes a loss for you, but it makes you feel semi-accomplished when it actually works in your favor.

Notes on MVP votes:

I was looking over the scoreboard after a match and noticed something on the MVP votes. I had 1k valor, 70 commedations, around 20k xp and I forget on the credits. As I was staring at the board, I recieved an MVP vote. The result was that my valor increased by 150, comm by 1 and xp by 500. It might have effected my credits but I didn't see the change. I was not the MVP overall but, the changes were still in effect. I can only assume that the MVP votes are perm and you get a set amount per vote at the end of the game. I long suspected that it effected your valor but, was unaware that it effected your other rewards as well. At the time I was 44. I'm sure they scale with level but, more testing on it would be needed to know for sure. I couldn't imagine it not doing so though.

As for ball running, I'll lay down some tips that my friends and I use in our guild when we team up.

Options, as previously mentioned, should be open to the ball carrier. Not everyone should head for the ball right off. Someone cutting left and another right. If the ball carrier makes it around, BE SURE to get past the first fire pit. Generally, the other team doesn't stay to defend their catwalks and instead, are usually glued to your ball carrier. If the carrier gets to the pit, and it goes off, you have just blocked their team from chasing you. Most times, this is an easy walk in score.

Next, DON'T JUST BLINDLY KILL!

The object isn't to kill (despite what the messed up rewards system says.) Keep them occupied. If you kill the enemy while your team mate is carrying the ball, you have just supplied the enemy with defenders. I can't count the number of times I've been focused killed trying to take down the enemy carrier. Only to respawn and be waiting to successfully knock the carrier in our pit.

The vents!

Unless you can perfectly time your spot on the vents, then don't bother with them. Most times i see the carrier try to hit the vents and it take them 3 or more tries to get it right. All that time spent doing the vents, they could have just walked around and gotten at least past the first fire pit.

Ranged players (sniper, some BH specs,ect)

Run ahead of the pack. If your spec requires some planting, run ahead of the pack and try to cut them off. This way you get the full time it takes them to run to and by you to fire off you abilities. You will either significantly hurt the carrier, kill the carrier or peel off some of the ball carriers defenders as they go to get you.

BH:

Use your support cylinders. It doesn't matter if you aren't specced into heal. I'm not either. However, those heals on the carrier often times makes the difference between and score or having the ball carrier not make it.

Use of sandbags, pillars or other hiding places:

Chances are, if you try to hang out for too long up on the very top, the enemy will kick you down. Most don't pay attention to the mid level. Hiding behind the sand bags makes it even less obvious. Stand behind those sand bags and the carrier can throw to you quickly, without even having to go far. Not only does this almost always catch the enemy off gaurd but, this spot is also past the first fire pit on that level.

The quick win:

The longer the match goes, the more your reward grows. If you end the match a quick 6-0, you don't get much for it. Even on the winning side. If you find your team has 5-0 and the match still has a long way to go, consider farming the other side. I know, it seems cheap, but the bonus for doing so is great. Chances are, if you are even considering farming them, then there is no way they could win anyway. You may think that its better to win early and q up again but, you aren't gauranteed to do so well in the next match.

great post and i really dont have anything to add. just a tiny mistake. sprint is at lvl 14.

obviously this has no effect on the validity of your post, which is well deserving of it's sticky-ness.

Thank you so much! You are not the first person to tell me this in this thread and I thought I changed it; but I see it still says 15! So I went in and fixed it. I think I must have had it in more than one place.

Where on the Nar Shaddaa map is the 'pit', and where on the Alderaan map is that war zone.

I've never participated in pvp but would like to try it out and I'm just not certain where these war zones are. Thank you.

SixLombardi give it a try, click the little faction icon on the bottom right of your mini-map. This will allow you que up for match.

Awesome post, wish more ppl would read it!

Another trick my friend and I use (this is usually only doable with a premade) is have someone stealth into the opponent's base, and wait. Your teammate (carrying the ball) then proceeds into the pit, and passes the ball to you. I've scored a lot of points this way on my Operative.

Its important to note that any pass to a person in stealth will be incomplete, therefore you have to unstealth as the pass is thrown, or this strategy wont work.

Awesome post, wish more ppl would read it!

Another trick my friend and I use (this is usually only doable with a premade) is have someone stealth into the opponent's base, and wait. Your teammate (carrying the ball) then proceeds into the pit, and passes the ball to you. I've scored a lot of points this way on my Operative.

Its important to note that any pass to a person in stealth will be incomplete, therefore you have to unstealth as the pass is thrown, or this strategy wont work.

I do this quite often. Honestly, as a Scoundrel, I spend most of my time in stealth, either on the opponents side, or on my side near the incinerators.

As a courtesy to your stealthies, though, give them some sort of heads up that you're going to pass to them if they're not posted in an obvious spot specifically waiting for the ball. A couple of times now I've been running in stealth ahead of the ball carrier to position myself for a pass when I've suddenly had the ball come flying at me and I have to scramble to do something to unstealth before the ball gets to me. :p

Maybe ithas been mentioned somewhere, but there is a bug in the hutball map, i hope it will be fixed. When u jump on the thing which holds the ball, at the center of the map, you can't be seen by other characters. They cant shoot you, cant heal you, but you can do all these things from there.

Today I have been playing some HuttBall, and I noticed players jumping out of the pits to score a point in the endzone. Is this suppose to happen and am I just a noob? If so, am I the only one who thinks it is an unfair advantage?

You've just encountered either Force Leap or the Trooper/Bounty Hunter's equivalent. Basically allows you to target an enemy outside of the pit and leap to them. Could also be a Sage/Sorcerer Rescuing/Extricating them, which pulls the ball carrier from the pit to the goal line.

It's just another tool to use. It's not really an unfair advantage, since both sides have access to the same technique. There're a couple of counters to it, also. The first one is not to hang out near your endzone when there's a Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight with the ball in the pit. Another counter is to stand at the very edge of the pit when you're attacking them, so if the enemy jumps at you, they fall right back into the pit. Using knockback to immediately hit them back into the pit also works.

Most of the classes have some sort of utility that makes them valuable in Huttball. Some are more situational than others, though.

Edited by Prophetic

You've just encountered either Force Leap or the Trooper/Bounty Hunter's equivalent. Basically allows you to target an enemy outside of the pit and leap to them. Could also be a Sage/Sorcerer Rescuing/Extricating them, which pulls the ball carrier from the pit to the goal line.

It's just another tool to use. It's not really an unfair advantage, since both sides have access to the same technique. There're a couple of counters to it, also. The first one is not to hang out near your endzone when there's a Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight with the ball in the pit. Another counter is to stand at the very edge of the pit when you're attacking them, so if the enemy jumps at you, they fall right back into the pit. Using knockback to immediately hit them back into the pit also works.

Most of the classes have some sort of utility that makes them valuable in Huttball. Some are more situational than others, though.

Thanks for the response! And more importantly thanks for the tips!

i can not wait for some medals or Acknowledgment of TD passes or drives.. i started playing this WZ as a battle zone as kill or be killed(kill them all attitude)... and did well getting medals and what not.. flip side, i started to actually play the map, and in the end i go unnoticed by medals etc. Even though when i played the right way i felt more accomplished, but my nods or mvp votes did not matter that way.. which has me hurting inside. but at the same time i do not want to play the douchebaggery way, Sooo i hope they give medals for actions that can win the game as well Edited by JMESUN

3 step solution to hut ball:

Right click the warzone icon on the lower right of your mini map.

Click "Leave Warzone".

Re-queue.

You know...this actually makes me feel kind of stupid. I didn't know you could right-click the little icon to leave a warzone. I thought you had to physically log out, then log back in to quit one. X.x

Haven't really needed it, though. The only time I've had to quit a warzone was when I'd accidently stay queued when joining a premade group, so it'd queue us all seperately and I'd have to quit to try again. :p