Rampant Ninja'ing?

LenaMarie

First, let me say I LOVE this game, its the best MMO I've ever played and Im already all subb'd with a CE, im here for the long term.

That being said, my problem isnt with the game itself, more with all the people playing in one place.

Let me give an example, on coruscant during the old market quests, there are tons of people running around killing mobs and taking loot objectives and killing off bosses with long timers, its everyone for themselves it seems. Its frustrating to quest in such densely packed game areas, i dont mind waiting for a spawn, though I know alot of people who do, but i do mind waiting only to have someone come kill steal it or ninja quest objectives while im fighting the mobs guarding it. Then waiting again for another respawn.

Now, im not suggesting instancing areas more, but i do think if this is happening too many people are playing on a server, that perhaps more world instances should open up, or the population needs to be spread out over more servers.

But really, im wondering if this is something thats going to be happening alont? Its annoying to play like this. I know Grouping is a solution, but alot of people dont want to group unless its for heroics.

Edited by LenaMarie

Yeah it's a cold galaxy out there. Eat or be eaten. Unfortunately this is the norm in MMO's.

If someone does it to me I try to follow them around and do it back to them. Eye for an eye.

Edited by Jnight

Op: I hear ya. When I got past the 2 bonus waves and had to go kill the captain there were a ton of people waiting there.

So, I just invited them into my group. Captain popped, we killed it and then all went on our merry way.

That was after 3 trys of having it KS'd.

I also get a bit bothered by the quest clicky folks that run up while you are fighting the mobs guarding it. but in the long run it isn't really worth worrying about. Most of them repop pretty quickly.

the ones that bugged me were on Taris, the vent in Rakghoul territory. those took forever to repop.

Ninja'ing bonus mission bosses is getting quite annoying. When you see someone waiting at the spawn point, just invite the guy before firing off your blasters as soon as the mob spawns. These things take a while to spawn and its really aggravating to get them ninja'd. A little courtesy isn't going to take anything away from you.

I've found myself getting annoyed with quests where you have to use/destroy objects in the environment because I'll spot one and start running towards it. Then while I'm killing the mob that's defending it, someone else will sneak in and use/destroy it.

At first I wouldn't do that to other people, because I knew how pissed off I got when people did it to me. But then I realised that if I didn't do that, I'd never finish the quest.

And then once I finished the quest, I found an area on the map that had plenty of those objects and not a soul in sight.

So, yea. I guess the choice is to either ninja things yourself, or look for less crowded area/times. But I guess being polite sometimes just leads to frustration.

haha i said it day 1! ninjas would come out of woodworks ^,^

companions can use gear

mods can be pulled in and out of gear

almost no gear my character cant use in some way shape or form...

i think idea of any gear belonging to any one class is fairly moot point in this game.

Yeah, this happens often. I will invite those standing around to a group to help kill an area boss on a slow respawn timer and all that is fine. Even the quest Ninja's are not too bad because Bioware clearly sped up the respawn time on quest objects.

The only one that really bugs the heck out of me is when I go in to kill a mob guarding a random loot box and someone Ninja's that. Very uncool but a lot of folks are doing it because the zone is crowded and, lets face it, they can.

It's happened to me a couple of times, (I can count on 1 hand still and I'm level 22). Usually when I stand around waiting for a boss I need and other people are there, I just hand out /invites

Only once did two Jedi knights team up and left me out (for whatever reason I don't really know or care), but in the 3 minutes I had to wait for re-spawns I went around killing other mobs so I could get at gather-able nodes (in my case archeology).

I'm not finding it to be a huge problem, not yet. But this kind of behavior is quite common across the MMO universe, especially from WoW or Aion type games.

My solution, grin and bear it, and go gather a few nodes of stuff and kill a few things while you wait. Extra XP never hurts no matter how small it is, and it's better than sitting around staring at the screen!

I have talked about this quite a bit and even discussed it in our Google + circle which several developers are part of.

They need to phase collection items and destroy Objects in quest because people are either waiting a very long in lines or dealing with ninjaing. Phasing these items dose nothing to hurt the community and in fact helps the community by taking away one less area of friction between players.

It is just mind boggling that Bioware didn't do this from the start.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

Im glad to see some sane people around here. I do hope bioware takes a look at this, not because waiting spawns is a pain, at least for me but because of how people are. I try to invite people to group for things when I can but some people just insist on being children.

Personally, I think this problem has alot more to do with how overcrowded servers are, a good rule of thumb is if queues for over 30m or even a hour exist, too many people are playing on it.

there is a bug one one heroic where if someone attacks your wave, you have to restart there is NO way to finish it, so i had to restart i think about 3-4 times. Because morons would keep attacking my wave because they see a bad guy.

So i ended up having to invite some of the idiots so when they did attack my wave i got credit for it.

Not a lot of people go this bug, but definatly most annoying thing i have come across yet.

Other than that, go to a less populated server, i went to the new rp-pvp east server and it's way better than the old one. People are nicer, things sell in a hour on the galatic market, which is good unless you want to buy something.

Best way to do some mass quest where it's kill 30+ people invite someone to help you, finish it in half the time.

The only Ninja'ing that I care about is the one where the fricking item is protected by mobs and you have to kill them first before you can use/claim the item .... but anyone else can just walk up take the item while you're still fighting.

You can't fricking access the item but anyone else can just walk through the explosions, bulltes, and swinging lightsabers and steal it out from under your nose.

Most annoying damned thing in this game .... but the last time I warned and complained about this the flipping Moderators warned me for it.

:(

Edited by Zepath

First, yes it is annoying as hell.

However, given there is no ownership of anything they really aren't kill stealing or ninja'ing anything. I really hope we can get this stuff under control before this turns into another game we all know and terms start getting flung around and lose all meaning.

Is it dirty? Sure.

Is it greedy? Sure.

Is it annoying? Sure.

But, it isn't Ninja'ing, or Kill stealing as it really isn't against any rules other then our own moral tapestry. So, it sucks - but it is going to happen especially as others said, during bottlenecks.

Best thing we can do is invite them before the spawn, try not to do it ourselves and start early not throwing crap around but trying to do what we can to have a great community like MMO's used to have. (Hell, one thing they don't realize is being server centric, IE not crossing servers - the more they are jerks and annoying the more they get a reputation and the more they will find the server isn't thrilled with them).

This really only applies to classes with companion tanks. If a group of mobs are guarding the glowly mission item I will normally send my companion in while I click the item, then I take care of the mobs. It saves me from the guy waiting for me to pull so he can steal the item.

It will get better a few weeks from now when there are less people on each world.

The issue isn't with the amount on the server,more the merrier to be honest.The issue is more down to the fact that the game is brand new and everyone is around the same lvl.Given time this problem should become less of an issue,although it is an mmo and therefore will always happen to some degree

Might be the server you are on..I just hit 22 and have not run into any problems with this or anything that takes a long time to respawn. I did steal an item from another player on accident and I just stayed and helped that person get the item as a boss spawns. I had one guy steal an item i was going for but he said he was sorry.

You come into an area for a final kill on a bonus mission escalation. You see several folks standing around, so you decide to sit down on a local pipe and take your turn. You see the grouped guy take the boss with his friend (same guild). Good so far right? Another person comes as your standing, you invite them but they move off out of range so you figure they want to solo it. Well if they want to wait for another 5 or 10 minutes, you tried right? Then you notice the previous person, by himself, standing next to you. While you wait you are thinking “Well this guy already has his quest kill, so what is he doing here? Just wants to help? Damn nice of him :D But NOOO, as you stand up before the target re-spawns, you target and shoot the quest npc immediately when it spawns, it turns grey because a fraction of a second before the guy from the previous kill tags it. :mad:

When it is obviously to grief others, that’s what rubs me the wrong way…bottom line is A-hats tending to their fragile e-peens at another’s expense. If it was a one time thing you could chalk it up as a mistake, just a lonely kid, does not understand??? But it is a pattern forming way too early in the game for me. Last night in guild chat there was mention of one guy shadowing their group and trying to tag kills and then just stand there. The mechanic does need to be changed to not encourage this kind of behavior. Remember we are all here to have fun, when fun turns into frustration, the likely hood of one continuing to pay for the frustration is very UN-likely…the game goes south eventually. :(