Did I hear this right?

Uluain

Which begs the million credit question we've been asking this whole time: Why haven't they put it in yet? They have every green light possible, yet they still falter. It's a mystery of life and our society has been established for the soul purpose of uncovering it!

...Or a couple of threads. :p

That's why, more than anything else, I'm confused over this whole thing. I'm only speaking for myself, but I've moved well beyond much anger to flat out puzzlement. It seems strange that they would not even give a straight answer to anyone, yet that article came out in October 15th.

The Led Zeppelin song, "Communication Breakdown," has been running through my head for days. After the reply I received from games industry International, it's become clear to me that the left hand really has no clue what the right hand is doing.

That's why I've been encouraging everyone that cares to write to GLAAD. To get an official, solid, public answer. That group has helped bring clarity to this before, and can do so again. The more that people write in, the more pressure BW-Austin will have to address the player base once and for all.

Edit: When it comes to possibly talking to children about the LGBT community and/or gaming content, a "T" rated video game forums is not the best place to look. There are many good websites out there for concerned parents on how to discuss these and other matters with their kids.

Edited by natashina

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already wrote GLAAD and they said they were looking into it. There's only so much they can do, which is why it's good that you're also hitting BW on all fronts. I also need to get my letter writing on one of these days! Maybe when my sub ends this week...

After all, that which does not bend, breaks :cool:

Yeah...he's just been repeating the same thing with slightly different wording for several pages now. :rolleyes:

My first toon was a lady SW. I can say right now that if ToR had forced me into a relationship with Quinn, I would have left the game entirely. Not only do I really dislike Quinn, but I would have preferred not being railroaded into an involuntary relationship.

I had to the choice to ignore Quinn thankfully. Just as others can chose to ignore any other companions.

I would like the choice that BW said they would give to possibly romance, say, Jaesa and/or Vette. Also, choose to ignore, say Kailyo. I have more a bro (sis)-mance with her. These are just examples and not necessarily a reflection of what I want in game.

We don't want this in tomorrow or even the next patch. We want solid confirmation that this is coming. In a public, direct and concrete way. From this site, to the player base. Not through any third party site.

Oh I thought your shameful involvement of GLAAD in an effort to trash the reputation of, and force an otherwise SGR friendly company to bow to your demands has already sorted this all out for you? No?

Driz

Edited by ImperialSun

Oh I thought your shameful involvement of GLAAD in an effort to trash the reputation of, and force an otherwise SGR friendly company to bow to you demands has already sorted this all out for you? No?

Driz

I agree with this post completely and truly believe that the LGBT community on these forums are being utterly ridiculous about this. This isn't even an issue of equality any more because Bioware has already stated that this IS coming eventually. They're trying to strong arm them into an ETA when gaming companies are always tight lipped with content on all fronts. It's not like they've given everyone else solid answers when asked about things like the secret space project. Yet the LGBT community, who are quickly becoming the annoying special snowflake faction of the gaming world demands that they be treated special and get constant reminders that their content (which is content that will be enjoyed by far fewer than the people who would play real space combat) be confirmed and they also demand in depth details.

Again, utterly ridiculous.

Edited by Galbatorrix

I agree with this post completely and truly believe that the LGBT community on these forums are being utterly ridiculous about this.

Couldn't agree more.

I was actually a supporter of this before, even posted about it, but now when i see this rather vocal minority in this and various other threads trying to impose this on everyone else by playing some ridiculous discrimination card i sincerely hope it won't be implemented anytime soon, because frankly i'd like to believe that the developers have more important priorities.

There are undoubtedly more pressing concerns regarding this game and its content than the ability to shag your same sex companion.

Couldn't agree more.

I was actually a supporter of this before, even posted about it, but now when i see this rather vocal minority in this and various other threads trying to impose this on everyone else by playing some ridiculous discrimination card i sincerely hope it won't be implemented anytime soon, because frankly i'd like to believe that the developers have more important priorities.

There are undoubtedly more pressing concerns regarding this game and its content than the ability to shag your same sex companion.

Agree completely.

I used to endorse the addition of SGRs simply from the standpoint of more options is always a good thing. I would not take part in the content however more options and more ways to enjoy content keep the playerbase engaged and playing when they simply dont want to raid or PvP. I supported SGRs the same as I support hood toggles / speech bubbles / sitting / sandbox features etc etc...

That being said, with spam thread after spam thread of SGR supporters telling others what they are allowed to think or how they are allowed to feel about the issue, demanding special treatment from the devs that no other section of the community is entitled to such as constant updates on future content (no, players interested in hood toggles / speech bubbles etc do not demand nor expect a direct line to dev updates) along with the sheer level of intolerance for the views, opinions and beliefs of others in the community has genuinely turned my opinion on this matter.

These same people then demand instant acceptance, respect and tolerance from all other sections of the community in the next sentence, it's hypocritical beyond belief.

To my mind, the SGR community have shown their true colours and they are not rainbow coloured at all....clearly the thinly veiled fact is...."Give the SGR community exactly what we want or we will play the discrimination card...".

To have pulled such a stunt on the one company that has always previously been a supporter of SGRs via inclusion in their games is particularly shameful IMO.

Driz

Edited by AllisonBerryman

I know you’re not supposed to feed them, but since these posts are still up…..

“strong arm them into an ETA” — no-one is asking for an ETA. What we are asking for in this and the other thread, is confirmation that SGRAs are still coming and roughly when we can expect them. And since when is asking for clarification 'strong-arming'?

“demands that they be treated special” — well, not exactly. We’re asking to be treated equally.

“they also demand in depth details” — no… only for any info that can help us decide how to play our characters while we wait. And when we have asked for details, it’s usually in the context of explaining why it’s so upsetting not to know when to expect SGRs. And what’s with ‘demand’? You could have just as easily said ‘ask for’, but then that wouldn’t have suited the spin you’re trying to place on this, would it?

“trying to impose this on everyone else” — ‘imposing’ stuff that’s optional ? ? ? And if you were right about ‘imposing’, wouldn’t that be conceding that we’re entitled to feel angry at having OGRs ‘imposed’ on us?

“spam thread after spam thread of SGR supporters telling others what they are allowed to think or how they are allowed to feel about the issue” — well, I can only find two threads about SGRs, and one of them is hidden away here in Story and Lore (God knows why). Also, in the very title of the thread it’s signalled that the thread is about SGRs, so no-one has to deal with the issue (unless they want to, of course, but then that’s hardly ‘spam’, is it?)

“sheer level of intolerance for the views, opinions and beliefs of others” — there’s a lot of intolerance for homophobia, and there’s unwillingness to see threads asking for clarification on SGRs that are then being highjacked by people who want to discuss irrelevant stuff. And of course, there is a lot of repudiation of ill-formed and hostile arguments, yes. But arguing against ill-formed/hostile arguments isn’t exactly ‘intolerance’.

spelling & typos

Agree completely.

I used to endorse the addition of SGRs simply from the standpoint of more options is always a good thing. I would not take part in the content however more options and more ways to enjoy content keep the playerbase engaged and playing when they simply dont want to raid or PvP. I supported SGRs the same as I support hood toggles / speech bubbles / sitting / sandbox features etc etc...

That being said, with spam thread after spam thread of SGR supporters telling others what they are allowed to think or how they are allowed to feel about the issue, demanding special treatment from the devs that no other section of the community is entitled to such as constant updates on future content (no, players interested in hood toggles / speech bubbles etc do not demand nor expect a direct line to dev updates) along with the sheer level of intolerance for the views, opinions and beliefs of others in the community has genuinely turned my opinion on this matter.

These same people then demand instant acceptance, respect and tolerance from all other sections of the community in the next sentence, it's hypocritical beyond belief.

To my mind, the SGR community have shown their true colours and they are not rainbow coloured at all....clearly the thinly veiled fact is...."Give the SGR community exactly what we want or we will play the discrimination card...".

To have pulled such a stunt on the one company that has always previously been a supporter of SGRs via inclusion in their games is particularly shameful IMO.

Driz

+10 good sir, couldn't had said it any better

I know you’re not supposed to feed them, but since these posts are still up…..

“strong arm them into an ETA” — no-one is asking for an ETA. What we are asking for in this and the other thread, is confirmation that SGRAs are still coming and roughly when we can expect them. Ands since when is asking for clarification 'strong-arming'?

First off, do you even know what ETA means? Estimated time of arrival. This is exactly what you're asking for. Also, You're strong arming them by contacting activist groups to get what you want.

“demands that they be treated special” — well, not exactly. We’re asking to be treated equally.

You ARE being treated equally! They aren't answering any questions about ANY upcoming content. What you're asking for is that they treat you "special". Why do your answers about SGR content take precedence over the guy wanting real space combat? I want to know when a hood toggle will be added. They've stated that it's coming... I wonder if there's a hood toggle activist group I can get involved.

“they also demand in depth details” — no… only for any info that can help us decide how to play our characters while we wait. And when we have asked for details, it’s usually in the context of explaining why it’s so upsetting not to know when to expect SGRs. And what’s with ‘demand’? You could have just as easily said ‘ask for’, but then that wouldn’t have suited the spin you’re trying to place on this, would it?

Regardless of why, you still demand details. Some of the posts have even stated that they're "unable" to play thanks to this. Utterly ridiculous. And I say demand, because again, you guys have taken this to the extreme and have gotten GLAAD involved.

Edited by Galbatorrix

You ARE being treated equally!

I think the original statement meant "equally" in context of romance content....like how there are already OGRAs in game and have been since launch....

Regardless of why, you still demand details. Some of the posts have even stated that they're "unable" to play thanks to this. Utterly ridiculous.

Desiring to know if a character you level to 50 will have this content available or if you would need to hold off isn't a game spoilering detail and I don't see why they can't answer this. Also, knowing which class will have SGRA's available for which gender.

"Space mission" player doesn't have to worry about this as it's taken for granted that any toon of any class/gender will have space missions available.

You won't miss out on the "hood toggle" feature if you've gone through all story content and leveled your toon to 50.

Do you see the difference?

Edited by stuffystuffs

First off, do you even know what ETA means? Estimated time of arrival. This is exactly what you're asking for. Also, Your strong arming them by contacting activist groups to get what you want.

When someone says 'ETA' they usually mean something like "a date/time that we expect to arrive, assuming nothing goes wrong". That'd be awesome! but I haven't seen anyone ask for that. On the other hand, when I say "roughly expected" I mean "sometime in the next 3 months" or "sometime in the next year" or "not for at least a year". Not the same as an ETA at all.

You ARE being treated equally! They aren't answering any questions about ANY upcoming content. What you're asking for is that they treat you "special".

Equal... except that straight SWTOR players have OGRs and LGBT players don't. If it were the other way around, you can bet straight players would be asking to be treated "specially", to use your phrase ("equally", using mine).

Desiring to know if a character you level to 50 will have this content available or if you would need to hold off isn't a game spoilering detail and I don't see why they can't answer this. Also, knowing which class will have SGRA's available for which gender.

This.

I think the original statement meant "equally" in context of romance content....like how there are already OGRAs in game and have been since launch....

"Space mission" player doesn't have to worry about this as it's taken for granted that any toon of any class/gender will have space missions available.

You won't miss out on the "hood toggle" feature if you've gone through all story content and leveled your toon to 50.

Do you see the difference?

You do NOT have to engage in companions conversations to get to level 50. You could easily leave those companions alone and then wait for your 5 minutes of kissing/blacked out screen. This is NOT stopping you from leveling your character and experiencing the rest of the game. heck, if you really wanted to watch the companion scenes without wasting your own, you could probably do so on Youtube....

Also, what if you have to level up your ship in the current game to play the secret space project? TELL US NOW BIOWARE, THE GAME IS UNPLAYABLE OTHERWISE!!

Also, with hood toggle, how my character looks is VERY important to me. I've leveled a character I didn't touch for Months 10 levels just because I got a cool new chest piece. Who are you to tell me my content isn't as important as yours?

Edited by Galbatorrix

So you consider doing it with a Twi'lek 'the norm'? Good to know...

In this context absolutely. . .

Look, I am not gay, but have dated several L/G women (or does the LGBT community call it experimenting) and i have no issues with people who are one sexual preference over another. Heck, for that matter I dont care what skin color you are, race you are, where you come from, or any other of 100 different factors people complain about when they say they are discriminated against. The simple fact of the matter is you are asking for something just as many of us who are not a part of your community ask for things.

The fact that Bioware doesnt answer you is the EXACT same answer we all get which is fair. Only under the last 10-20 years has the definition of fair changed to mean "if I am different I get something different from everyone else." Heck, I have a couple of my charactes (female) that prefer female companions - Mako - and it seems like it would be a fit with the personalities.

It isnt an option at the moment so I need to get past it (just like when I PvP and my Pub Jedi seems like a lightweight in a heavyweight arena). If it is going to be an "optional" part of the game so be it, but there really is no reason to get this worked up over it other than the fact that you believe because it isnt in game it is an affront to you, your friends, or even your community.

You do NOT have to engage in companions conversations to get to level 50. You could easily leave those companions alone and then wait for your 5 minutes of kissing/blacked out screen. This is NOT stopping you from leveling your character and experiencing the rest of the game. heck, if you really wanted to watch the companion scenes without wasting your own, you could probably do so on Youtube....

I don't want to watch youtube.

What you're suggesting could work but it's not a guarantee. Plus, I still want to know if the class I'm playing will even have an option (like, each class now has at least one OGRA per gender).

Also, what if you have to level up your ship in the current game to play the secret space project? TELL US NOW BIOWARE, THE GAME IS UNPLAYABLE OTHERWISE!!

Not the same. No matter the class/gender of your toon, that space content is available and may require you to get better ship parts. It's not as if these missions aren't available full stop b/c of the class/gender combination you selected for your toon.

If I have to do something extra to unlock SGRA content then so be it...I don't need to know the details surrounding this.

What I'd like to know..."Will this content be available for a female Jedi Knight?" Yes/No

I'm not demanding they put this content in the game now. I don't even need an ETA.

I just want to know if this content will be available to the characters I have...something that's taken for granted with all other content.

Also, with hood toggle, how my character looks is VERY important to me. I've leveled a character I didn't touch for Months 10 levels just because I got a cool new chest piece. Who are you to tell me my content isn't as important as yours?

But you see, I'm not the one going into threads telling the players who want hood toggles that their desires are less important than mine or others....that's just rude.

At this point, I honestly wish Bioware WOULD throw you a bone and say something like "in progress". Though I seriously doubt that it would stop you guys from complaining non-stop. Heck, they already did publically state that it was in progress and look where we are....... Edited by Galbatorrix

At this point, I honestly wish Bioware WOULD throw you a bone and say something like "in progress". Though I seriously doubt that it would stop you guys from complaining non-stop. Heck, they already did publically state that it was in progress and look where we are.......

For me, if there was some clarification on whether this content would be available to each class/gender or not (then which would have it?) then I'd be fine.

Like I said, if I suspected that any new PvP or Operation content wouldn't be available to a character of mine for some reason, I'd want to know.

Why do you guys care so much, character romance is terribly boring and if that's all you play this for- well then hello all you Bergeren and Ebon Hawk people, your thoughts are noted, but this is really a waste of dev time- they have bigger fish to fry, like keeping the Bastion from crashing.