Resolve sucks

Bryanseven

You are making this all too negative.

First of all there is no 1v1 situation where you will be unable to act for 8 sec while getting pummeled, and if you lose 80% of your hp before getting to act then you forgot to wear your equip, or suffered an opener from a stealther with an equip 2 tiers above yours...or a pyro.

That thing you say "Wait for the second stun and hit CC breaker" is not a rule you know? You can break on the first or on the second or you can simply not break. Reading the situation is required to make the correct choice.

For example, i play with 16.5k Hp (17k now with the new offhand), and never need to use the CC breaker for defensive purposes, but save it for objective play and when a mate really needs that heal and can't wait another sec. Still i die an average of 2-3 times per wz.

This is what they mean when they say it's an art. Every situation is different, and you have to find the correct interpretation of it each time.

This^^. There are times Ill eat a stun with my CC breaker up even though I know it means my death. There are other times that I will break on the first stun even with my resolve bar not full if it will increase the chanses of taking an objective. Using your CC breaker is an economic choice and some people are not great with economic choices.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per the patch notes, the change to Resolve will not cause any increase in time spent under the effects of a CC. Instead, all that changed is that when two CCs are applied at the same time, only one of them takes effect and adds Resolve. You also get the benefit of a full bar no longer immediately draining.

Before:

Player A stuns you at the same time Player B stuns you.

You are stunned for 4 seconds and gain 800 + 800 + 400 Resolve (total of 2000). That means you have 20 seconds of Resolve Immunity, of which 4 are lost during the stun leaving a total of 16 seconds of Resolve Immunity once you are back in control.

Now:

You are stunned for 4 seconds and gain 800 Resolve.

Now consider a staggered situatioin:

Before:

Player A stuns you, then Player B stuns you 1 second later.

You are stunned for 5 seconds and gain 800 + 800 +400 Resolve (total of 2000). That means you have 20 seconds of Resolve Immunity, of which 4 are lost during the second stun leaving a total of 16 seconds of Resolve Immunity once you are back in control. (note that this is not very different from the Before example above).

Now:

You are stunned for 5 seconds and gain 800 + 800 +400 Resolve (total of 2000). That means you have 20 seconds of Resolve Immunity, none of which are lost during the stuns leaving a total of 20 seconds of Resolve Immunity once you are back in control. This is a net gain of time in control over the before scenario.

Now:

You are stunned for 5 seconds and gain 800 + 800 +400 Resolve (total of 2000). That means you have 20 seconds of Resolve Immunity, none of which are lost during the stuns leaving a total of 20 seconds of Resolve Immunity once you are back in control. This is a net gain of time in control over the before scenario.

Eeeeer nope

I usually agree with most of your post, I do believe our previous resolve system was fine.

But I think this last quote is not true. As I understand (and after a few WZs today, looks like), when you get that second stun 1 second later, it will full the resolve JUST for that extra second you're stuned, what means that after you get out of those 5 seconds stun, you can actually get stuned again.

I might be wrong, I haven't played too many (just around 8) but I think it does work like that now. Anyway, it's the first day... let's see how it goes.

Cheers

Per the patch notes, the change to Resolve will not cause any increase in time spent under the effects of a CC. Instead, all that changed is that when two CCs are applied at the same time, only one of them takes effect and adds Resolve. You also get the benefit of a full bar no longer immediately draining.

Before:

You are stunned for 4 seconds and gain 800 + 800 + 400 Resolve (total of 2000). That means you have 20 seconds of Resolve Immunity, of which 4 are lost during the stun leaving a total of 16 seconds of Resolve Immunity once you are back in control.

Now:

You are stunned for 4 seconds and gain 800 Resolve.

Now consider a staggered situatioin:

Before:

You are stunned for 5 seconds and gain 800 + 800 +400 Resolve (total of 2000). That means you have 20 seconds of Resolve Immunity, of which 4 are lost during the second stun leaving a total of 16 seconds of Resolve Immunity once you are back in control. (note that this is not very different from the Before example above).

Now:

(Emphasis mine) If I understand this correctly this means over the length of a match the maximum time you can end up immune is lower then before the change. I believe this is the problem we are seeing now.

Before, two uncoordinated attacks allowed me to gain immunity more quickly. Over the length of a match this means I'd have more opportunities to gain immunity. The isolated example the developers used didn't calculate immunity over time in the whole match only in a particular instance.

Edited by DashaAdair

Just think, if the resolve system worked properly, PVP Players (Like those who play Operatives because they know they suck at PVP) and Stun their way to victories would be left high and dry and their lack of PVP skills would be on display for all to see.

PVP is filled with pvpers who stun to win because they have no skill to do anything else (Interesting how easy these same people are to kill when they have used their stun on someone else and you use nothing but attacks to kill them and they have nothing else to work with because of their lack of skills) or pvpers who go after Low End pvpers and think themselves Gods of War for it.

I always have respect for players who when going one on one, hell even two on one, may use a single CC on you for one of their long cast time attacks but then resume hitting you with other attacks and kill you without the use of multiple CC's. Zero respect for the ******* of PVP who do nothing but chain stun you until you die. I try not to use CC and still manage anything over 30-40 kills a match simply by using my attacks intelligently!! I especially enjoy seeing the scoreboard reflect my dmg/kill/medals being higher then a player on the opposite team who stunned their way to their kills.

The fact is whether Resolve works or not, PVP is a simple matter of who has the best gear and who can string together a series of stuns. These are the two most critical elements of PVP. It barely ever comes down to skill or who can chain together a beautiful series of attacks or strategy that doesn't rely on CC'ing til the cows come home. Nope, if you got stuns (and rely on them to kill) and at lvl 50, have war hero, you got PVP done and dusted. Then people wonder why Lvl 50 PVP doesnt have as many pops like when we all used to pre lvl 50 pvp.

And it will be even worse when many subbed players join the F2P lineup. :(

I play as a marauder and I can say: resolve is broken.

I was against a Gunslinger and Scoundrel today in Civil War.

1 - Gunslinger kicked my balls -> 4secs stun -> ok, resolve is at 60%.

2 - Almost finishing 4 secs stun, flash bang (resolve still 60%).

3 - almost finishing flash bang(8 secs), Scoundrel kicked my balls(more 4 secs and resolve still 60%).

4 - I have no cc breaker, 16 secs controlled.

This is NOT fun.

3 - almost finishing flash bang(8 secs), Scoundrel kicked my balls(more 4 secs and resolve still 60%).

This is NOT fun.

I personally would love to see PVP penalise players who rely on Stuns to do anything in PVP.

Like if you use more then a certain amount of stuns in a certain time frame or match, you are docked Commendations which would force players to either play with skill or get out and leave PVP to the players who want to play it as a form of skill. Then the reliance on Resolve and whether it works or not would not be an issue as much. But sadly EAWare wants to keep the game going with the Stun Wars mentality and then scratch their b@lls wondering why people either don't bother with PVP or the game anymore.

Edited by kharathos

This is NOT fun.

If this is true then it means that they screwed up somewhere, this is not what is in the patch notes. In your example you should have been immune after the flash bang, and for a longer time than in 1.3. If the resolve does not build up when you are actually CCed then it is a bug and people have all rights to be angry at this.

@Kharatos: I don't even want to start to point out how many things are wrong in your posts. Chain stunned and killed in 1v1? Lol.

If this is true then it means that they screwed up somewhere, this is not what is in the patch notes. In your example you should have been immune after the flash bang, and for a longer time than in 1.3. If the resolve does not build up when you are actually CCed then it is a bug and people have all rights to be angry at this.

@Kharatos: I don't even want to start to point out how many things are wrong in your posts. Chain stunned and killed in 1v1? Lol.

Yes, this happens today.

I'm not new in the game, I'm at valor 92 and you can believe me.

Really, i'm tired of this stun fest.

Honestly, I haven't seen much difference so far.

I'm getting stunned just as much as before and for just as long as before.

Now it's just trickier to get your resolve bar filled up before you hit the breaker.

But at least it seems that resolve ticks a little slower (or starts to tick later).

Overall no real improvement.

Save us ALL from Resolve headaches!

I'm truly sorry to the Resolve programmers, but please DITCH RESOLVE and ROOT, and ALL STUNS BUT stuns to light armor wearers in PVP. The maurader and sentinel can keep their 1 second interrupt type stun, not the issue of an unplayable PVP game.

Knockback has been nerfed into a cone and distance affect, resolve should NOT apply immunity to this, but it does. DELETE RESOLVE

The roots aren't building resolve, exceedingly annoying, and restoration doesn't clean them off. DELETE RESOLVE

Note: 79 valor as Republic on server where we had 5:1 Imps to Rep until last week (not taken a count recently).

resolve was a bad idea from the start, whoever thought it was a good idea needs to be locked in a room with some politicians.

Immunity timers work just fine and dandy but BW just have to prove they know nothing about MMOs, they hemorrhaged subscribers on probably the biggest IP and fanbase out there and now lost BWs founders. One day perhaps they will get someone with some stones to throw out the bad idea that is resolve

This is NOT fun.

This is a lie. No reason in the world for them to flash bang you between stuns. If they would have wanted you controlled flash grenade would have gone first then another flash grenade from the scoundrel. So please tell that to someone else. IF, I say IF, they actually did that you just encountered the worse two smugglers in the galaxy. And IF, I say IF, the deed actually happened have you filled a bug report or you just resumed at QQing here?

I do agree that diminishing returns for resolve granted by overlapping CC abilities is not a smart change due to so many players just wanting to mash buttons and see nice big numbers. Guess the cc/resolve problem is too heavy for them.

Just think, if the resolve system worked properly, PVP Players (Like those who play Operatives because they know they suck at PVP) and Stun their way to victories would be left high and dry and their lack of PVP skills would be on display for all to see.

PVP is filled with pvpers who stun to win because they have no skill to do anything else (Interesting how easy these same people are to kill when they have used their stun on someone else and you use nothing but attacks to kill them and they have nothing else to work with because of their lack of skills) or pvpers who go after Low End pvpers and think themselves Gods of War for it.

I always have respect for players who when going one on one, hell even two on one, may use a single CC on you for one of their long cast time attacks but then resume hitting you with other attacks and kill you without the use of multiple CC's. Zero respect for the ******* of PVP who do nothing but chain stun you until you die. I try not to use CC and still manage anything over 30-40 kills a match simply by using my attacks intelligently!! I especially enjoy seeing the scoreboard reflect my dmg/kill/medals being higher then a player on the opposite team who stunned their way to their kills.

The fact is whether Resolve works or not, PVP is a simple matter of who has the best gear and who can string together a series of stuns. These are the two most critical elements of PVP. It barely ever comes down to skill or who can chain together a beautiful series of attacks or strategy that doesn't rely on CC'ing til the cows come home. Nope, if you got stuns (and rely on them to kill) and at lvl 50, have war hero, you got PVP done and dusted. Then people wonder why Lvl 50 PVP doesnt have as many pops like when we all used to pre lvl 50 pvp.

And it will be even worse when many subbed players join the F2P lineup. :(

See, that kind of thinking is the prime reason why players like you stay forever in the terribad zone.

I can point out maybe like 50 absolute nonsense pointers from the crap pile of a post above, but I'm not going to, since its something I've been doing everytime the resolve whiners show up and spew the scene with misunderstandings, lies, exaggerations, and tantrums.

Although I am coerced easily. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if resolve is broken, I'm assuming it is working as intended...I'm just firmly of he opinion that the entire cc mechanic here is fubar. Why can't they just change it? There is a vocal minority who seem to like the system, maybe they are all elite pvp'ers who can adapt to any situation and win and that is what makes them happy.

These same players could probably have half of their keyboard removed and their game running at 15fps and if they won they would be happy and say...working as intended.

I make no claim to elite pvp staus, I just like pvp. PLAYING pvp, not WAITING to play pvp. I think most people fall in pretty much the same catagory and even if they UNDERSTAND pvp and the resolve system...they just don't like it. I think most of these people did not have the dedication to this game I have and are already gone...

If they did say...halve the amount of crowd control one could experience in a warzone and then rebalance damage and healing to be appropriate...what would be the problem? Elite pvp gods could adapt and win and be happy...everyone else who hates the CC fest we currently have could be happy.

Just baffled.

There is a vocal minority who seem to like the system,

Point of fact - the vocal minority are the ones who hate resolve/any-cc-at-all.

People who aren't bothered by it have little incentive to post to say so. The vocal minority of people who don't like CC at all or can't get their heads around an unfamiliar system post endlessly moaning about it. Quantity of posts does not equal majority opinion.

As to whether it's bugged, didn't notice anything wrong with it last night. Though a couple of caveats: I only played a handful after my guild roped me into subbing an operation, and I was a bit drunk by then so I was just happily ganking whiny marauders. From stealth. Sometimes I stun them unnecessarily just to make them cry.

Point of fact - the vocal minority are the ones who hate resolve/any-cc-at-all.

People who aren't bothered by it have little incentive to post to say so. The vocal minority of people who don't like CC at all or can't get their heads around an unfamiliar system post endlessly moaning about it. Quantity of posts does not equal majority opinion.

As to whether it's bugged, didn't notice anything wrong with it last night. Though a couple of caveats: I only played a handful after my guild roped me into subbing an operation, and I was a bit drunk by then so I was just happily ganking whiny marauders. From stealth. Sometimes I stun them unnecessarily just to make them cry.

Point of fact, the sheer volume of posts that have been made on this issue would cast aspersions on your assertion.

I have noticed less posts on it recently, but I attribute this to most of the players that were dissatisfied leaving the game.

The major problem seems to be people do not understand resolve even now ten months into the game.

HERE IS HOW YOU DONT GET CHAIN STUNNED:

Do not use your CC break on the first stun. Crazy I know, except when you eat a full duration stun and come out, chances are they will try to stun you again. Now your Resolve is White Barred. Use your CC break and proceed to be unstoppable.

Its that easy.

Point of fact, the sheer volume of posts that have been made on this issue would cast aspersions on your assertion.

I have noticed less posts on it recently, but I attribute this to most of the players that were dissatisfied leaving the game.

Quantity of posts still doesn't equal majority opinion.

No-one I chat to and play with in-game has ever raised it as an issue.

Edited by Wainamoinen

(Emphasis mine) If I understand this correctly this means over the length of a match the maximum time you can end up immune is lower then before the change. I believe this is the problem we are seeing now.

Before, two uncoordinated attacks allowed me to gain immunity more quickly. Over the length of a match this means I'd have more opportunities to gain immunity. The isolated example the developers used didn't calculate immunity over time in the whole match only in a particular instance.

Eeeeer nope

I usually agree with most of your post, I do believe our previous resolve system was fine.

But I think this last quote is not true. As I understand (and after a few WZs today, looks like), when you get that second stun 1 second later, it will full the resolve JUST for that extra second you're stuned, what means that after you get out of those 5 seconds stun, you can actually get stuned again.

I might be wrong, I haven't played too many (just around 8) but I think it does work like that now. Anyway, it's the first day... let's see how it goes.

Cheers

Here are the patch notes regarding Resolve:

•The Resolve system has been adjusted in the following ways:

•When a player becomes immune to control due to Resolve, his Resolve meter will not start decaying until after all the current controlling effects expire (instead of decaying immediately after the immunity begins).

•Players under the effects of a control ability now build less Resolve for other control abilities that target them. The exact amount of Resolve the player builds is based on the time remaining on the ability currently controlling the player and the relative strength of that ability's effect. If two stuns of similar strength (such as Electrocute and Debilitate) target a single player at the same time, the second ability would generate very little Resolve. However, if the two effects were applied so that the duration of their effects overlapped very little, each effect would grant its full (or nearly full) Resolve to the target.

•A new Codex entry can be found in the Game Rules section to help players who are unfamiliar with the details of the Resolve system.

Here is a Dev Post on the Resolve Changes:

Hey everyone - thanks for your feedback on the classes blog! We're reading your questions and concerns and will work on getting answers to some of the common ones. Today I spoke to Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) and Rob Hinkle (Senior PvP Designer) about the changes to Resolve in relation to coordinated and uncoordinated teams, which many of you have questions or concerns about.

First of all, please do keep in mind that reading about changes and experiencing them can be different. We are looking forward to your feedback once you've had some time to see these changes when the PTS becomes available!

In the live game, being affected by two stuns simultaneously only controls you for 4 seconds, but it gives you full Resolve. To be plain, this makes escaping a rampaging melee player very, very difficult. It's directly related to concerns we see regarding overpowered melee and them being inescapable. Going immune after only 4 seconds of control strongly favors the one being controlled.

What this change actually does is make "wasted" control not build extraneous Resolve. Once this change goes live, two well-coordinated players will not be able to control a target for any longer than they ever were able to before. In the live game and after this change, the optimal control strategy is and will continue to be "player B uses his control after player A's control has worn off." The only change is that two uncoordinated players aren't unduly and additionally punished for wasting their control.

I based my explanation on my interpretation of these two items. The intention (per the notes and post) is that stuns that are used within the same second (i.e. starting at approximately the same time) will not grant double Resolve any longer.

Your enemy's CD is still wasted, you still suffer only one CC, but now you don't get double Resolve for your stun.

This is a situation that rarely occurs in organized play, and is of such a statistically minor likelihood during PuGs to not really be a situation that you would be experiencing all that often.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that by "overlapped very little" they meant "maximum length of CC time".

I had interpreted that line to mean this:

CC1: |----------------------|

CC2: __|----------------------|

They could have meant:

CC1: |----------------------|

CC2: ____________|----------------------|

That would change the premise of my post entirely.

Edited by Darth_Philar

I really don't have any problem with resolve or stuns anymore. I got over it a longggggg time ago. The only thing I still hate is being pulled into fire but that's just how it is.

I think the resolve change that didn't just double the guys resolve when he got chain cc'd immediately was what they needed. Pugs make the bar go white on the ball carrier instantly all the time

Edited by drahzaar