I thought no LFG dungeon finder at launch was a good idea.

loudent

Only one reason for LFG not to exist and that's to make it so that less of the population gather the flashpoint items. Not having a LFG tool doesn't fix anything else, it doesn't make me like random people more. Most people will just skip them/

Honestly, questing in random areas where I might need some help completing a two man is where I am most likely to make friends. I found people in flashpoints to be rude because they KNOW you can't just leave and find someone else quickly.

Fortunately for me, my guild is friendly enough and large enough where we always have people to help... but even with that, a LFG tool just makes life easier.

My real life time is limited, so my video game time needs to be as optimized as possible.

Let's just all vote on having the tool, when it can be implemented, and those who hate it can go back to spamming for friends. It's a win-win scenario.

And like someone else said, I will be questing while waiting on a flashpoint with a LFG tool. Without it, I'm standing at the flashpoint doing nothing, trying to get someone to join me.

Edited by ExpLiciTSainT

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see why having the auto-group/auto-teleport/cross-server version of an LFD could be argued against. But why not at least let us have a global LFG channel so we can advertise while out questing? And if not that, how about something more like the tool WoW had during BC where you could flag yourself as LFG for specific quests/instances and others could search that list? And, no, the current implementation is NOT that. You can't look for people outside your current zone, you can't filter by instance/quest, etc.

I don't mind having to do a little work to form a group. I do mind having to just sit on the fleet for an hour, spamming general chat. And NO ONE uses the current method of flagging themselves as LFG. I do, but any time I go into the Who tab, I am literally the ONLY person that is flagged. I think I've only ever seen one other person as flagged in any zone I've ever been in.

Few people know that's even there. They need to make a completely separate tool rather than lumping it in with the 'who'. I'm not saying a dungeon finder, I mean a proper LFG tool where you can flag yourself for certain roles/flashpoints/heroic quests etc. The current tool isn't very good at all, and as I said, many people have never found it.

Yeah, like the one EQ had back in the day. You could sort by area, level, class, etc. You could even blacklist an entire guild.

I can see why having the auto-group/auto-teleport/cross-server version of an LFD could be argued against. But why not at least let us have a global LFG channel so we can advertise while out questing? And if not that, how about something more like the tool WoW had during BC where you could flag yourself as LFG for specific quests/instances and others could search that list? And, no, the current implementation is NOT that. You can't look for people outside your current zone, you can't filter by instance/quest, etc.

I don't mind having to do a little work to form a group. I do mind having to just sit on the fleet for an hour, spamming general chat. And NO ONE uses the current method of flagging themselves as LFG. I do, but any time I go into the Who tab, I am literally the ONLY person that is flagged. I think I've only ever seen one other person as flagged in any zone I've ever been in.

The problem with global channels is it quickly gets over-run with spam since it has the widest audience.

The problem with global channels is it quickly gets over-run with spam since it has the widest audience.

Which is why an LFG tool is a better option, IMHO. It's great when you're leveling in WoW, because it lets you find groups for dungeons without having to sit in a main city or outside the entrance spamming LFG.

Yah, global channels are completely useless. Picture 3000 people all using a single channel for everything from local heroic quests to flashpoint grouping. 20 lines per second of pure spam.

I hope this game NEVER has a RDF type tool. IMO, it ruined a certain MMO's community. Most people just sit in cities now.

You do realize that to have a good chance of finding a group now you have to... you know...

sit around in a city talking in general chat?

Reading through spam in a city chat isn't "social", it's annoying.

It is called LFG for ......... in chat if some some is also looking for it then you group up if not don't spam chat with it and move on.

Maybe it's my fault because I'm not the most social person in the world, but I recall leveling a number of characters barely ever settinga foot in a dungeon. Just too few people or the wrong configuration. While I enjoyed the games I reallly felt I was missing out. It was especially trying when the last quiest in a huge quest line ended in a dungeon and there just were no groups available. That really sucked.

The last time I leveled characters through the game I had a blast and I got to experience every dungeon at a level that was appropriate. I was able to finish long quest chains, do my classe quests and everything. It was among the most fun I've had in a MMO ever.

You do realize that to have a good chance of finding a group now you have to... you know...

sit around in a city talking in general chat?

Reading through spam in a city chat isn't "social", it's annoying.

There is going to be spam in any game you play.

LFD tools kills the need for a guild and having friends in the game.

There is going to be spam in any game you play.

LFD tools kills the need for a guild and having friends in the game.

And yet there are thousands of guilds and millions of people with friends in the game with the most comprehensive LFD tool to date. Stop using ridiculous hyperbole, please.

Or it could be that they are genuinely worried that it will have a negative impact on the game? For it's improvements LFD had a pretty large negative impact on the game -- That being the fact that ninjaing loot and being a general jerk in groups has no consequences. Before LFD if you did that stuff, you were pretty quickly ridiculed and had issues finding groups. The community policed itself.

That's not the case anymore. LFD takes the self-policing ability away.

It's worth noting that in most of the threads I have seen fond remembrances for the days before the RDF, they're laced in comments about how back in the poster's day of TBC, you had to walk uphill in the snow both ways to get your raiding attunements and were damn grateful for the opportunity to make Tempest Keep merely a setback. In my experience, it usually has been gauzy-eyed nostalgia. But it's also entirely possible for someone to arrive at the conclusion that the RDF has been a net negative through other channels, something I readily admit.

The idea that there were somehow negative consequences for being a jerk before the RDF, however, is absurd. At least from my experiences in the Vanilla edition of That Other MMO That Shall Not Be Named, I had more than my fair share of parties blow up due to loot drama or folks being asses. It was one of the major disincentives to dungeoneering, at least for me: It took hours to put together a group that could, at the drop of a hat, fall apart due to loot or folks being unable to execute against a boss. The single greatest innovation of the RDF was to remove the risks inherent in dungeoneering: It's not longer a time-sink, as the matchmaker does the grunt work, and if folks can't execute, they -- or I -- can leave and try to find another group with relative ease.

A final note on "ninjaing loot": How, exactly, does that work with the Need or Greed system? And how does not having an RDF-type feature prevent such, given that flashpoints already use what is essentially a palette-swapped version of the same thing?

And yet there are thousands of guilds and millions of people with friends in the game with the most comprehensive LFD tool to date. Stop using ridiculous hyperbole, please.

Why? Its the Truth. LFD Destroys guilds. Go back to WoW you have only 1 reason to be in a guild now. Perks. Most people in guilds now dont ever run with their guild. They just Que to play the game. If you want a LFD Que go play a game that has it. Your playing the wrong game.

Why? Its the Truth. LFD Destroys guilds. Go back to WoW you have only 1 reason to be in a guild now. Perks. Most people in guilds now dont ever run with their guild. They just Que to play the game. If you want a LFD Que go play a game that has it. Your playing the wrong game.

I would agree with that maybe later in the games life cycle , as only the guildies who have preordered have been on .

Then you run into problem 2 which means your guildies have to be at the same level . Which leads you back to spamming and recruitment and because there are no guild perks you have 2 million 3-5 person guilds .

Which brings me back to LFD I spent 1 hour in LFG as a healer looking for one tank for Mandalorian Raiders when there were 167 people at the Imperial Fleet . Mind you I was spamming every 2 minutes or so to not be obnoxious . When you can't get a tank in an hours time that you wasted spamming during peak hours you need a LFD .

I've run Esseles, Hammer Station, and all of the Heroics on Coruscant with groups all found using... gasp, wait for it.... general chat.

Maybe Darth Bandon server is just awesome, even managed to join a Coruscant world boss group formed largely solely using gen chat.

Edited by piratepoet

I've run Esseles, Hammer Station, and all of the Heroics on Coruscant with groups all found using... gasp, wait for it.... general chat.

Maybe Darth Bandon server is just awesome, even managed to join a Coruscant world boss group formed largely solely using gen chat.

WOW YOU ARE AN AMAZING CUTTING EDGE PLAYER.

So what?

Just because you personally are not having issues does not mean there are no issues.

I've run Esseles, Hammer Station, and all of the Heroics on Coruscant with groups all found using... gasp, wait for it.... general chat..

Well of course you have, because there is no alternative other than guild chat. Every dungeon people have run is either done via guild or general chat.

I'm not saying it can't be done, what we're asking for is to be able to continue playing the game if we hit a time when no groups are forming.

• 1 month later...
give me a group finder but make it only the server and dont let it teleport everyone to the dungeon instantly, it ruins the community.

What community? The one that thinks sitting around in the fleet while spamming lfgxxx is social in some way?

Or the community that likes keeping black-/whitelists to exclude everyone from the game who in their opinion somehow underperforms, hasn´t the "reputation" of beeing the best tank/healer/dd on the server or didn´t invite them to their last birthday party?

Edited by Jann-ErikB

While I agree that the insta-teleport to dungeon ruined WoW's experience a bit, a LFG tool that JUST got you a group would be very welcome. You would still have to know where the hell to go etc

This point does apply to WoW, but I fail to see how subjecting players to loading screen after loading screen after loading screen in SWTOR is in any way beneficial.

give me a group finder but make it only the server and dont let it teleport everyone to the dungeon instantly, it ruins the community.
Teleporting to the flashpoint instantly would ruin the community? One wonders what community-building happens whilst people are running to flashpoint shuttles and being trapped on loading screens. Edited by Jazirian