Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This issue is just beyond a joke now. I purchased a 60 day pass and the expansion pack. What a waste of money that was.

I've been playing other MMOs recently and it really puts into perspective just how bad this game is in most aspects...

The engine is bad, the F2P model is woeful, the customer service is just abysmal!!! Why should I contribute any more money to those corporate fat cats at EA?

At the end of the day the muppets managing this game do not give 3/5s of sweet F all about the APAC community.

agreed. im down to 8 days of sub time left and im not going to resub and ill take this game of the hard drive and get some space back. and maybe get defiance in a few months time.

Edited by deltadt

So this was found on the forums

http://i.imgur.com/cyPFTYr.jpg

wondering why they haven't got any news out for us - being an entire community, but this pops up out of no where?

I thought we had community managers that actually cared about our situation. Looks like a big fat no there.

This is terrible, inc transfers, and its a interview that gets the info first, not the offical website......thanks for the giant middle finger to our community....what's worse, are we transferring in the next 2 weeks? 3? 2.2? hot on the heels to me implies next week...but I'm willing to be we will have to wait ANOTHER 4 weeks or so..... that's not hot on the heels... its also my exam period....im so sure its gonna drop then lol.

BIO - Customer Service, Accountants, Marketing, Management... PLEASE READ

Last night the Australian government delivered the budget for our country. According to their data, we are one of only 7 countries in the world with any sort of reasonable economic growth.

Our economy is expected to be 20% higher in 2014-15 than before the finacial crisis <GFC>

Can you say the same for your country the USA or Europe... NO...

It would seem to me that less and less people in those countries can afford to pay for video games

While more and more can offord to pay for them in Australia and other APAC countries.

Not sure if you have heard but this is supposed to be the "Asian" century... with most of the global wealth and growth coming from our region.

Seeing as how it is your accountants running your company, it would seem to be economic sense that you would want to expand more into the APAC region, that you would want to support the customer base here.

Speak to your marketing teams, I am sure they get it, but are hamstrung because of the budget restraints you put on them.

Haven't you heard the saying "Spend some money to make some money"

We had zero advertising in Australia when the game was launch and you still haven't bothered to do so... and you wonder why the population isn't as big as it could be... Blizzard advertises here and I still see the TV advertising occasionally... maybe that has something to do with why their game is one of the biggest and longest running MMO around.

So wake up... look after the APAC countries... we are your future... not some economic basket case countries in Europe.

Edited by Icykill_

This is terrible, inc transfers, and its a interview that gets the info first, not the offical website......thanks for the giant middle finger to our community....what's worse, are we transferring in the next 2 weeks? 3? 2.2? hot on the heels to me implies next week...but I'm willing to be we will have to wait ANOTHER 4 weeks or so..... that's not hot on the heels... its also my exam period....im so sure its gonna drop then lol.

Eric has stated,

/Snip

I think the core of some of your frustrations is that you feel like Game Update 2.1 is “eating up a slot” for our regular content cadence, and because of that, you won’t actually be receiving any new content in this “cycle.” I figure the best way to address that is to lay out a bit of a road map of what the next few weeks looks like! This will help especially if you are only looking at what you are getting within one “content cycle.” As I have done in the past, I need to make it clear that everything I am about to say is our current plan and that it is subject to change, but I want to give you as many details as I can! Here is our current plan:

• Game Update 2.1 will release on Tuesday, May 14th
  • Game Update 2.2 will release on Tuesday, June 11th

If you are keeping track and we hit those dates, Game Update 2.2 will releasing 8 weeks and 2 days from the time we released Rise of the Hutt Cartel (so basically around our 8 week cadence that is often referenced). What that means is that even though I can’t yet tell you what is in Game Update 2.2, you are getting two Game Updates within that period. I will say this: Game Update 2.2 has no new Cartel Market features… Also, both of these Game Updates will come with the usual bug fixes, quality of life improvements, etc. which you have come to expect (reference the patch notes for more info).

/snip

So if the new transfer system is working by then, that is the soonest we will see the phase Eric referred to in this thread where we can transfer to our choice of destination before they close us and force us onto the NA servers.

No surprise that Eric has not told us any of this directly.

Not sure if you have heard but this is supposed to be the "Asian" century... with most of the global wealth and growth coming from our region. ...snip...

So wake up... look after the APAC countries... we are your future... not some economic basket case countries in Europe.

But unfortunately for the APAC servers, most of Asia cannot play on them with a lower ping than West Coast USA. Only some southern parts of Asia can use them successfully. It's not EA's fault, its the way Australia decided to connect to the internet. So, if they want to make a big splash into the Asian century, they have to put a server farm somewhere much closer to Taiwan, Korea and China. While I like the idea of APAC servers, they weren't put in a very good place. Great if you're an Aussie, but terrible if you live in Asia.

But unfortunately for the APAC servers, most of Asia cannot play on them with a lower ping than West Coast USA. Only some southern parts of Asia can use them successfully. It's not EA's fault, its the way Australia decided to connect to the internet. So, if they want to make a big splash into the Asian century, they have to put a server farm somewhere much closer to Taiwan, Korea and China. While I like the idea of APAC servers, they weren't put in a very good place. Great if you're an Aussie, but terrible if you live in Asia.

This guy just hit the bingo. Australia is only good for Australia. Rest of Asia suffers. NA is better for the rest.

Let's think back to this...

Hey everyone,

I have an update for you on our long term plans for the APAC servers. Before I do that though I want to let you know up front that we still have quite a bit of work to do to make this happen so I cannot provide any timeframes for you today.

We know that when we asked you, the community, for your opinions on what we should do, we received quite a variety of suggested solutions. Some people wanted to be able to transfer to higher populated North American servers, some suggested merging the three existing APAC servers into one large APAC server, and then there were a host of other ideas as well. However, the one common theme from the suggestions, which we heard clearly, is that everyone wants the opportunity to play on higher populated servers. With this in mind, we have evaluated all of the options and determined that the best solution, that will offer the best long term play experience, is to merge the APAC servers with higher populated North American servers.

Getting to the point of being able to merge the servers is going to be a multistep process. First off we need to update our Free Character Transfer System to include the game changes that we have made recently along with the upcoming changes in Game Update 2.0 and the Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel. We will then offer Free Character Transfers to anyone currently playing on an APAC server to a North American server of the same gameplay type, specifically:

• Mastar Dar’Nala (PvP) will transfer to The Bastion (PvP)
  • Gav Daragon (RP-PvE) will transfer to Begeren Colony (RP-PvE)
  • Dalborra (PvE) will transfer to The Harbinger (PvE)

We will also need to update our server merge technology at which point we will ultimately merge each of the APAC servers into the corresponding North American servers as indicated above. We are moving as quickly as we can to make this happen, but we want to make sure this is a smooth transition, so it will take some time.

Why did we decide not to merge the three APAC servers into one large APAC server? We decided this for two main reasons. 1. The issue in doing this is that two play-styles (PvE, PvE-RP, or PvP) would need to sacrifice their desired play-style in order to have one server with a higher population. We feel that it is important that each player is allowed to continue to play SWTOR in their preferred play-style. Therefore, accommodating all the existing play-styles was a primary goal. By allowing you to move to a NA West server, you will be able to keep your play-style. 2. The move to North American servers better delivers on our ultimate goal of providing the best play experience, with the most possible players, long term.

I will continue to provide updates as soon as I have them. I know the next big question will be “when” and as soon as I have that information to release, I will do so. Thank you for your continued patience on this. I know it took longer than you would have liked but I intend to continue to give you information as soon as I can!

-eric

Since this post was submitted on the 25th of March 2013, we have seen a significant decrease in player population on APAC servers. Needless to say these servers were already suffering from lower than optimum population, and having a major statement like this was surely never going to cause anything but further reduction.

Considering the playing experience is now degraded even further for those people that still play on these servers (especially MD), can we expect a resolution to this matter anytime soon? I've accepted that we are going to the US servers (in some cases "going back") so I am prepared as I imagine most people now are.

Could I ask that BIOWARE take some responsibility for making such a statement that they would be aware would have significant negative effects on the playing experience of those who it affects. Expansions are wonderful, updates are wonderful, but perhaps BIOWARE's priority should now be to fix the degraded APAC gaming experienced they caused at the release of this statement.

We (APAC) are community members too, in many cases even paid subscribers that in some cases never stopped subscribing. Is it time we are given a little attention?

It's been over a year now since we were originally given free transfers to the new APAC servers. So we know the technology has been developed (tech not developed was the excuse for the original delay in transferring players the first time) and since we have seen the development of so many game systems, a new expansion and already updates to that, surely it doesn't take much longer than 12 months to update existing transfer technology? Should it?

Ooops, just had another EA moment...

If I was truly evil....

Put out the transfer for real money, and say absolutely nothing to APAC about any transfers... let us sit and worry, and decide if we want to pay... for months.... EEVILL!!!! :eek:

Sitting in the 30-54 pvp que for more than an hour today, no pop.

Sat in the que for 8 hours yesterday (same bracket) had 5 games, out of those 5, 2 ended early due to not enough players and in only one we had a full 8 man team.

Hurry up the ........ up and give us our .........ing transfers

Master Dar'Nala, the dead server .......

Ooops, just had another EA moment...

If I was truly evil....

Put out the transfer for real money, and say absolutely nothing to APAC about any transfers... let us sit and worry, and decide if we want to pay... for months.... EEVILL!!!! :eek:

They put character renames on the Cartel Market for $10 and every subscriber is supposed to get one free, but that didn't make it in time for the patch...though the money version did.

Don't be surprised if paid transfers appear and we get thrown the old, the free ones we promised you are coming...just not yet.

Is it evil...or just standard fare for EA/Ware.

Edited by DarthBrundleFLY