Gentlemen, I present to you…THE ULTIMATE POST.

mourasantos

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agreed with your simillar (and possible the same) post in the other section-so I agre with you here.

Ie: it needs to be a bit BIGER more GRAND-have more pop-

Hell yea to bounties-sorry but your in a universe where a pissed hut can and will opt to place buy a deathmark on you. (for instance) this-would add to the game. I want that (NPC here for example) to potentialy respond to the asskicking I gave it by placing a bounty. Players should have some simillar options.

By and large agre to you sir-I have the hutchpa to agre to-

100% needed

Anoyingly there will be some people who might say: oh but ships are housing; not the same. Maybe you call them pleasure barges instead.

I vote for this 100%.

I agreed with your simillar (and possible the same) post in the other section-so I agre with you here.

Ie: it needs to be a bit BIGER more GRAND-have more pop-

Hell yea to bounties-sorry but your in a universe where a pissed hut can and will opt to place buy a deathmark on you. (for instance) this-would add to the game. I want that (NPC here for example) to potentialy respond to the asskicking I gave it by placing a bounty. Players should have some simillar options.

By and large agre to you sir-I have the hutchpa to agre to-

100% needed

Anoyingly there will be some people who might say: oh but ships are housing; not the same. Maybe you call them pleasure barges instead.

I vote for this 100%.

thanks for the support

If you're not forced, then you ought to be. The distinction made between PVE and PVP servers is artificial, and one of the many outmoded tropes of MMOs that need to be well and truly done away with in order for the genre to survive.

Go to the server status page and look at the number of pvp servers vs pve servers. Don't even count the rp ones, just regular. The truth is, the segment of the gaming population in mmo's that enjoys constant pvp is smaller than the population that does not. The separation is no more artificial than not having to worry about legal reprisal for the npc's you slaughter. I do not like pvp, so I avoid it, just as I do anything that I don't feel like doing at that moment. If I choose to be on a pve server, then I do not wish to have pvp forced on me. Pvp on pve servers is always a choice, it can be avoided, your idea for a bounty system does not give that option, and it would cause pve players to quit, and since they are the majority, the game would suffer.

Now an opt in for pvp points, I'd be for that.

Go to the server status page and look at the number of pvp servers vs pve servers. Don't even count the rp ones, just regular. The truth is, the segment of the gaming population in mmo's that enjoys constant pvp is smaller than the population that does not. The separation is no more artificial than not having to worry about legal reprisal for the npc's you slaughter. I do not like pvp, so I avoid it, just as I do anything that I don't feel like doing at that moment. If I choose to be on a pve server, then I do not wish to have pvp forced on me. Pvp on pve servers is always a choice, it can be avoided, your idea for a bounty system does not give that option, and it would cause pve players to quit, and since they are the majority, the game would suffer.

Now an opt in for pvp points, I'd be for that.

I think what moarasantos is trying to say is that he disagrees with the different servers types and that people should have reasons to partake in all activites.

I came here form SWG and i would pvp there all the time, but only when I wanted to.

There was not PVP, PVE or RP servers in SWG. So when i logged into my main character I could do what ever i felt like doing that day. I could just flag myself for pvp and pvp would find me very soon.

Here I play on a PVE server because i wanted to choose, when i did PVP.

I stay flagged everytime time i log in and during the last year i have encountered maybe 2 other players that were also flagged.

It stinks, its a feature i dont get to take part in because the PVE players are on one server and PVPers are on another and the people that want to do both, cant.

Its a weird segregation and i dont understand why it was invented to begin with.

The bounty system in SWG was pvp oriented, if you killed another player you could get a bounty on you, so if you did not want to pvp you would not get a bounty put on your player.

The people that liked pvp, took the bounty as a status, the higher the bounty the more people you killed or the more bounty hunters you stopped and therefore you were a harder target. This lured out the more serious bounty hunters as well.

I racked up a bounty so high i could not go anywhere with out being on the alert.

Edited by kirorx

I think what moarasantos is trying to say is that he disagrees with the different servers types and that people should have reasons to partake in all activites.

I came here form SWG and i would pvp there all the time, but only when I wanted to.

There was not PVP, PVE or RP servers in SWG. So when i logged into my main character I could do what ever i felt like doing that day. I could just flag myself for pvp and pvp would find me very soon.

Here I play on a PVE server because i wanted to choose, when i did PVP.

I stay flagged everytime time i log in and during the last year i have encountered maybe 2 other players that were also flagged.

It stinks, its a feature i dont get to take part in because the PVE players are on one server and PVPers are on another and the people that want to do both, cant.

Its a weird segregation and i dont understand why it was invented to begin with.

The bounty system in SWG was pvp oriented, if you killed another player you could get a bounty on you, so if you did not want to pvp you would not get a bounty put on your player.

The people that liked pvp, took the bounty as a status, the higher the bounty the more people you killed or the more bounty hunters you stopped and therefore you were a harder target. This lured out the more serious bounty hunters as well.

I racked up a bounty so high i could not go anywhere with out being on the alert.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Edited by mourasantos

Make it so you can only put a bounty on someone who have killed you. Ofc you need to pay that bounty yourself. If the marked player beats the bountyhunters he will collect the bounty. Once the bounty have been collected you cant mark that player exept if he kills you again.

That way the only way to get marked would be if you do some pvp. Also since it would cost to mark someone it´s not likely too many will get marked. Thoose that end up getting marked alot will be the ones that pvp and most of thoose wont mind some world pvp.

I actually liked some of your ideas and the points you made. SWTOR is my first MMO and I had it rough in the beginning (I joined because I'm a Kotor fan, not an MMO fan). You touch upon one of my biggest gripes about MMO's which is: nothing you do matters. SWTOR should be given credit in that the stories of each class give you a sense that you make a difference in the galaxy. However, you are right to point out that our decisions seem inconsequential in affecting the worlds/fleets played in.

Starting tangent: (an idea of mine) Frankly, I wish more areas were marked off as instances because the respawning of enemies is not only annoying but hurts immersion. Something along these lines damages immersion: "I killed those guys on the way into this cave why do I have to 'kill them again' on the way out? Sorry questgiver! It seems like I made no difference here because all the enemies I killed just respawned!" If that area were an instance however, like other parts of the game, then this would be less of a problem.

End tangent: Back to your idea about pvp results affecting the galaxy. I'd like to see something like this. To encourage participation there could be something indicating that "imperials are advancing" if only imperial players are queued and there is nobody for them to fight. That would mean that the republic players are needed for the war effort in order to stop the imperal advance. Note how the need in this case is real, and gives players a reason to fight, instead of just pvping for the sake of getting better gear. Players who don't want to be part of it don't have to be, perhaps pve stats could be included as well to a lesser extent. So those empire or rebublic npc troops everyone is slaughtering might count for something too (equal level or higher npc's only of course, no butchering low level worlds to make the war swing in your favor).

I agree that huttball should be moved out of warzones (and thus the war effort), not because I don't like it (I'm in favor of keeping it), but move it to Nar Shadda like you said and group it with stuff like swoop bike races and pazzak tournaments (things in kotor that, for some reason, were and still are ommitted from swtor) and let people place bets like you said. That just makes more sense thematically.

Edited by Kushluk_

Adaptive conversations

- The fallout series did a great job with this one

Cantinas

- Too much work for too little gameplay change

Classes

- Opening up a can of worms with this one... Massive QQ, but perhaps more cosmetic skills exclusive to each class (a la current racial skills)

Combat System

- Never had a problem with this, just needs more refinement (fix resolve bar and other bugs)

Companions

- companion-companion custscenes based on affection/achievements is good

Emotes

- NO, people shouldn't buy extra hardware just for that. Do make sounds for emotes though... AND FLIRT LINES!

Jedi Temple

- I'd rather view that from recorded data on my datacron

Old Hermit

- Not a good idea. We can't have people running around in god-tier items

Flashpoints

- Nah, adaptive conversation will do fine

Player housing

- Ship decors will do (AND ADD A MAILBOX SOMEWHERE IN IT!)

Speeders

- I don't mind

Sprint

- Why would you do that?!

Holo

- Meh, don't mind

Fleet

- Fine as is, gives me something to look forward to

Huttball

- Actually just let us choose the WZ map

World boss

- More background info is nice

Group finder

- No opinion regarding the matter since I don't use it

Travel

- Special features for each planet sounds nice

Player Role

- Can't do this in a way that will affect other players

Sound

- Eez 'kay for na0

UI

- Needs extra toolbar, otherwise eez 'kay.

Voice

- Nah

Lots of resources required for mostly cosmetic/flavor stuff. I think Bioware should focus improving character optimization/community events before these ones

I actually liked some of your ideas and the points you made. SWTOR is my first MMO and I had it rough in the beginning (I joined because I'm a Kotor fan, not an MMO fan). You touch upon one of my biggest gripes about MMO's which is: nothing you do matters. SWTOR should be given credit in that the stories of each class give you a sense that you make a difference in the galaxy. However, you are right to point out that our decisions seem inconsequential in affecting the worlds/fleets played in.

Starting tangent: (an idea of mine) Frankly, I wish more areas were marked off as instances because the respawning of enemies is not only annoying but hurts immersion. Something along these lines damages immersion: "I killed those guys on the way into this cave why do I have to 'kill them again' on the way out? Sorry questgiver! It seems like I made no difference here because all the enemies I killed just respawned!" If that area were an instance however, like other parts of the game, then this would be less of a problem.

End tangent: Back to your idea about pvp results affecting the galaxy. I'd like to see something like this. To encourage participation there could be something indicating that "imperials are advancing" if only imperial players are queued and there is nobody for them to fight. That would mean that the republic players are needed for the war effort in order to stop the imperal advance. Note how the need in this case is real, and gives players a reason to fight, instead of just pvping for the sake of getting better gear. Players who don't want to be part of it don't have to be, perhaps pve stats could be included as well to a lesser extent. So those empire or rebublic npc troops everyone is slaughtering might count for something too (equal level or higher npc's only of course, no butchering low level worlds to make the war swing in your favor).

I agree that huttball should be moved out of warzones (and thus the war effort), not because I don't like it (I'm in favor of keeping it), but move it to Nar Shadda like you said and group it with stuff like swoop bike races and pazzak tournaments (things in kotor that, for some reason, were and still are ommitted from swtor) and let people place bets like you said. That just makes more sense thematically.

Very constructive, well written post. Thanks for this.

I dig it- stuff like this-stuff that makes the game feel big and epic.-

I totaly agre that hutt ball in its current state doesn't fit well.

As an aside: Do you supose some divsion of arena-net could be contracted to make this game get to the EPIC it deserves (probably not though).

Pre- launch on the website there was someone (forget the name) that described history so far- I thought it added a nice touch what happend to those kinds of things?

It's still here, under Holonet, I think. You should give the Jedi Temple section of my post a read-through :)

Yeah......I read up to the part with the classes and then stopped. Your idea with the bounty's is PREPOSTEROUS!

How unfair would it be that if I have a bounty on my head and land on a planet and then you say what I'm unable to leave because of it??? That is probably the dumbest suggestion ever brought up. Bounty's are fine and could even be a lot of fun but you can't prevent other people from enjoying the game just because there is a bounty on them. I don't care what incentives or bonus I get, I want to be able to do as I please. Also does it not seem rather unrealistic that just because I have a bounty I can't go anywhere? People who are wanted never flee.

I am just saying that one point ruined your whole post, I can't imagine what other tom foolery you included.

Edited by CthulhuRyleh

Plagiarism isn't such a bad thing on forums, we want our ideas to be discussed after all.

As that's the case, I'm going to support the first section of your post but not other areas like deprecating Hutt Ball and the LFG tool.

By all means, let people opt-out (or in, just as the options in the LFG tool allow) of the PvP games.

Your bias against the LFG tool is quite hollow though. The inclusion and thorough development of an LFG tool is simply critical (for an array of reasons covered at length in a number of other discussions).

I'm a little disappointed that you didn't also take my idea to use companions as quest-givers for daily quests and thereby also extend their interaction with players. (re: your section on Cantinas).

The linked opinion article has some validity but it also has significant flaws, not the least of which is a severe bias.

TFB I think illustrates very well that encounters can use the core principles of RPG's and still be highly dynamic and challenging and need not rely solely on grinding a bosses hit points down.

It would absolutely be nice to have greater interaction with our companions, more appropriate speaking lines would be great but the cost for creating and implementing them is comparatively high.

If they can do it, great, really I'd love it but if the cost of that means somebody loses their job or another aspect of the game doesn't get the attention it needs, I'd feel the price is far too high - on the other hand... we've got next to zero information on this sort of thing.

Flashpoints - As mentioned first up, I'm glad you've mentioned it on the General forum & added to the idea.

Player Housing - the sheer number of SWG refugees demanding this probably means it'll be addressed somehow, hopefully in the context of an optional payment model and implemented in such a way that they aren't garbage tips for hoarders to obsess over.

Speeders - totally on board with this, I'd be very surprised if BW haven't already got this on their to-do list.

Sprint - is a completely misplaced concept that somehow migrated from KoTOR. It's completely unnecessary. Restricting low level characters to walking speed (approximately) only serves to frustrate people - critically the people you most want to avoid frustrating. Abolish it entirely asap.

Holo Terminal - it's almost certainly on a bug list, and far below many more urgent matters.

Fleet - the point of the Fleet is that it's a central place for characters of all levels, a place they can carry out all manner of tasks that relate to the social side, crafting, guild management, banks etc..

Most people like seeing higher level characters around, it's inspiring, you get to find out what they're interested in and working on (through general chat).

Information overload for new players is a challenge, turning your back on the challenge and trying to get along without that knowledge won't help new players come to terms with how the game works. Far better to jump in with both feet and even cop a few bruises than live in ignorance.

Player Role - changing the look and feel of entire zones, let-alone worlds to change as you've suggested would take an absolutely herculean effort; Aside from the vast effort required, I don't even think it's possible with current technology.

Sound - I think you'd find you're in a super tiny minority and that hearing your character grunt every time they jump would be worse than tedious, many people would find it seriously annoying.

Greater diversity of audio for various settings would absolutely be nice. I believe it's a relatively high cost enterprise though.

UI Design - I don't understand your grievance, the linked picture is 404. The current UI and the options to customise it are really good (despite a few deficiencies). There are absolutely things I'd change, I'd love to dive into a sweeping re-design but that would be better serviced through modding - people have very different values and interests when it comes to UI.

Voices - voice work is apparently the most expensive aspect of the game. I'd be very cautious about adding more and making sure it's as well used as possible.

Edited by Kynesis

Plagiarism isn't such a bad thing on forums, we want our ideas to be discussed after all.

As that's the case, I'm going to support the first section of your post but not other areas like deprecating Hutt Ball and the LFG tool.

By all means, let people opt-out (or in, just as the options in the LFG tool allow) of the PvP games.

Your bias against the LFG tool is quite hollow though. The inclusion and thorough development of an LFG tool is simply critical (for an array of reasons covered at length in a number of other discussions).

I'm a little disappointed that you didn't also take my idea to use companions as quest-givers for daily quests and thereby also extend their interaction with players. (re: your section on Cantinas).

The linked opinion article has some validity but it also has significant flaws, not the least of which is a severe bias.

TFB I think illustrates very well that encounters can use the core principles of RPG's and still be highly dynamic and challenging and need not rely solely on grinding a bosses hit points down.

It would absolutely be nice to have greater interaction with our companions, more appropriate speaking lines would be great but the cost for creating and implementing them is comparatively high.

If they can do it, great, really I'd love it but if the cost of that means somebody loses their job or another aspect of the game doesn't get the attention it needs, I'd feel the price is far too high - on the other hand... we've got next to zero information on this sort of thing.

Flashpoints - As mentioned first up, I'm glad you've mentioned it on the General forum & added to the idea.

Player Housing - the sheer number of SWG refugees demanding this probably means it'll be addressed somehow, hopefully in the context of an optional payment model and implemented in such a way that they aren't garbage tips for hoarders to obsess over.

Speeders - totally on board with this, I'd be very surprised if BW haven't already got this on their to-do list.

Sprint - is a completely misplaced concept that somehow migrated from KoTOR. It's completely unnecessary. Restricting low level characters to walking speed (approximately) only serves to frustrate people - critically the people you most want to avoid frustrating. Abolish it entirely asap.

Holo Terminal - it's almost certainly on a bug list, and far below many more urgent matters.

Fleet - the point of the Fleet is that it's a central place for characters of all levels, a place they can carry out all manner of tasks that relate to the social side, crafting, guild management, banks etc..

Most people like seeing higher level characters around, it's inspiring, you get to find out what they're interested in and working on (through general chat).

Information overload for new players is a challenge, turning your back on the challenge and trying to get along without that knowledge won't help new players come to terms with how the game works. Far better to jump in with both feet and even cop a few bruises than live in ignorance.

Player Role - changing the look and feel of entire zones, let-alone worlds to change as you've suggested would take an absolutely herculean effort; Aside from the vast effort required, I don't even think it's possible with current technology.

Sound - I think you'd find you're in a super tiny minority and that hearing your character grunt every time they jump would be worse than tedious, many people would find it seriously annoying.

Greater diversity of audio for various settings would absolutely be nice. I believe it's a relatively high cost enterprise though.

UI Design - I don't understand your grievance, the linked picture is 404. The current UI and the options to customise it are really good (despite a few deficiencies). There are absolutely things I'd change, I'd love to dive into a sweeping re-design but that would be better serviced through modding - people have very different values and interests when it comes to UI.

Voices - voice work is apparently the most expensive aspect of the game. I'd be very cautious about adding more and making sure it's as well used as possible.

First of all I had never come across your idea to make companions daily quest givers, and I think it's fantastic. I'll be glad to add it to the companions section with your permission (while giving you due credit of course). I would even add my own personal stamp to it: what if there were daily Romantic quest lines? A handful of seemingly frugal adventures where, in order to appease our better half and keep our marriages in smooth-sailing territory, one has to, for instance, go pick a handful of Corelian Rainbow Violets, a rare flower whose pigment self-transforms into all the colors of the spectrum (yes, I just made that up). Might be something worth exploring...

Second, I think you need to re-read my post regarding the LFG tool. The reasons for why I'm against its current incarnation I think are pretty indisputable, if you give it enough thought.

As for my issues with the U.I., I'll edit the post so it's clearer. Also, thanks for bringing the broken link to my attention.

Edited by mourasantos

Maybe not the ULTIMATE post, but a dang good one. These are all good ideas, and id love to see the old [persuade] back from KOTOR! They tried to add it in game design, but it didn't work.

Social points is a GENIOUS idea here. Higher social, higher chance of persuasion success. Maybe in flashpoints it would work?

Hate to compare to other MMOs, but why not make an instances area on certain planets for housing. You know instanced neighborhoods? Maybe some slums on Hutta, a desert with some roads on Tatooine, simple things, where a guild (or friends of said guild) can put their houses?

World bosses do need a codex. Only one with one indirectly is the Tatooine one, it mentions the world boss in the "wraid" codex.

Maybe not the ULTIMATE post, but a dang good one. These are all good ideas, and id love to see the old [persuade] back from KOTOR! They tried to add it in game design, but it didn't work.

Social points is a GENIOUS idea here. Higher social, higher chance of persuasion success. Maybe in flashpoints it would work?.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm really digging your idea to make player housing more spread out and tiered according to the planet in which they're located. Something along these lines:

Tier 1 (800, 000 credits per lot)

HUTTA

Now's your chance to live amongst some of the more wretched, foul-mouthed miscreants in the galaxy! Marvel at the swamp-side views only these criminally affordable lots are able provide as you breathe in the noxious fumes from the nearby wasteplant and swat away those pesky wompa rats from your kitchen!

HOTH

If icy, bone-shattering winds are below your concern and hypothermia doesn't faze you, then the vast expanse of snow lands on Hoth will make for an ideal home. And now, for a limited time only, we are offering an all new range of Ortolan-made Igloos, the craftsmanship of which is renowned all throughout the galaxy!

Tier 2 (1.000.000)

to be continued

Edited by mourasantos

Thanks for the compliment. I'm really digging your idea to make player housing more spread out and tiered according to the planet in which they're located. Something along these lines:

Tier 1 (800, 000 credits per lot)

HUTTA

Now's your chance to live amongst some of the more wretched, foul-mouthed miscreants in the galaxy! Marvel at the swamp-side views only these criminally affordable lots are able provide as you breathe in the noxious fumes from the nearby wasteplant and swat away those pesky wompa rats from your kitchen!

HOTH

If icy, bone-shattering winds are below your concern and hypothermia doesn't faze you, then the vast expanse of snow lands on Hoth will make for an ideal home. And now, for a limited time only, we are offering an all new range of Ortolan-made Igloos, the craftsmanship of which is renowned all throughout the galaxy!

Tier 2 (1.000.000)

to be continued

Your prices seem way too high.