Name changes

chris_rw

NO, it's not. And they said so in their communications. They even said it on the information screen after maintenance in the login window of the patcher/client.

So them changing a computer and giving it the name of an active server means the world has been altered? I'm sorry but just because BW changed some hardware does not mean my server moved. It means my server was upgraded to accommodate refugees from other servers. You are more than entitled to your opinion but in my opinion BW was trying to calm the water because they realize just how idiotic it was to keep the name of servers that were active.

If they renamed my server to Generic PVP Server X then I wouldn't have issue with it. But they didn't. They kept the same name of thriving servers and just put a bunch of people there.

Look at it this way, when asked by friends which server you are on you tell them, because this is your "home". Now a bunch of people are on a new home, they are going to give a different name. However for those of us who are still at "home" nothing has changed. We still give the same information. That post I made last year about which server I call home is still relevant, therefore I have not moved.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not gibberish, and can be read, I swapped out 2 vowels for phonetic consonants, so i basically put "Ys" in the place of "Is"

Still, the chance of the same name, is several million to one.

The name "Trystyn" is one of the many ways one would spell "Tristan" if it were already taken.. Tristan being one of the most famous Knights of the Round Table. How rare can you think it, or variations of it, would be in an MMORPG? "Trystyn" itself Is taken on 134 servers in WoW.

Edited by MadBlue

I'm sorry but just because BW changed some hardware does not mean my server moved. It means my server was upgraded to accommodate refugees from other servers.

You are ignoring the actual process they followed. They fired up new hardware and then ran a list of servers (orgin servers, which included old destination servers) through a transfer process that included processing for name conflicts. In essence they did what a lot of people asked for.... a level playing field (ie: ALL servers). It's a different process then the voluntary transfer process. In fact, it was a true server merge this time around.

You are more than entitled to your opinion

As are you... but I'm not expressing opinion, I am echoing what they said they did.

Edited by Andryah

I agree. Being as so many people are not even bothering to read the note they put up in the login screen after maintenance.

I guess they give the player base more credit for reading and reading comprehension then is warranted.

Alot of us read it and understood it, but didn't like it. It's a day later, I've had a good night's rest and I'm ok now ;)

The name "Trystyn" is one of the many ways one would spell "Tristan" if it were already taken.. Tristan being one of the most famous Knights of the Round Table. How rare can you think it, or variations of it, would be in an MMORPG? "Trystyn" itself Is taken on 134 servers in WoW.

Being a big fan of Arthurian legend, and the tales of Merlin, King Arthur and the Knights of the round table, I can tell that while it is not one of the least common names, it is not one of the most common of the names.

They would be, obviously first, Lancelot, Galahad, Gawain, Perceval, Bors, Sir Agravaine... their are a lot, but Trisan is not one of the more common....

The fact still remains, due to the spelling of the Knights name, Trystyn would be one of the less common variants of spelling it, as it is not the same phonetically.

You are ignoring the actual process they followed. They fired up new hardware and then ran a list of servers (orgin servers, which included old destination servers) through a transfer process that included processing for name conflicts. In essence they did what a lot of people asked for.... a level playing field (ie: ALL servers). It's a different process then the voluntary transfer process. In fact, it was a true server merge this time around.

I get that but unless they use new names it is meaningless. Why? Because gamers are stubborn, obsessed, and protective of such things. A level playing field would have been to give the servers new names, because then the destination servers actually seem like new servers.

I understand that the hardware was changed and the software was modified, but it does not change the fact that you are using old names of servers that (at least in my case) were thriving. This is where the problem lies. I'm not dumb I know the process they went through, but the fact is my server name did not change. It's not the actual logistics of it that I'm not getting. I am quite capable of comprehending that yes, everyone has been moved to a new server, which is amazing and great. Yes what they did went very smoothly as far as down time. But the fact that they chose to use the names of thriving servers makes it difficult for those who were on those servers to recognize it as "new", because nothing for us has really changed. There is nothing physical that we can look at and say that's right I've been moved. It isn't that we're ignorant it is that we're human and most people in this situation would feel the same way.

Counter Argument: What if said Character on a "dead server" was a hold out and was waiting for final moves (some people actually did this). Was a continuous sub from day one of early access. Was active everyday. The character in question was a level 50. The person with the same name may also have been a level 50 on that "active server" but, only stated playing 1 month ago. Who should get the name?

(Answer: The one who had the name longest with the longest continuous subscription)

:cool:

Couldn't agree with Urael more. You deserve to have name priority if you've paid more for it!

I get that but unless they use new names it is meaningless. Why? Because gamers are stubborn, obsessed, and protective of such things. A level playing field would have been to give the servers new names, because then the destination servers actually seem like new servers.

I understand that the hardware was changed and the software was modified, but it does not change the fact that you are using old names of servers that (at least in my case) were thriving. This is where the problem lies. I'm not dumb I know the process they went through, but the fact is my server name did not change. It's not the actual logistics of it that I'm not getting. I am quite capable of comprehending that yes, everyone has been moved to a new server, which is amazing and great. Yes what they did went very smoothly as far as down time. But the fact that they chose to use the names of thriving servers makes it difficult for those who were on those servers to recognize it as "new", because nothing for us has really changed. There is nothing physical that we can look at and say that's right I've been moved. It isn't that we're ignorant it is that we're human and most people in this situation would feel the same way.

/agree

If they had changed the name of my server, I would have been pissed, but accepted it. The fact that they kept the name the same, and are now telling me I have to change my name, due to somebody being moved from a DEAD server is out of order...

A lot of people put effort into modifying vowels, or extended character sets, and miss the option to insert a silent consonant.

For example: Wendy can become Whendy

It works so well in fact that I have never had a name collision with Whendy in any MMO. It just does not happen. I have been using that name with a silent consonant for more then a decade in MMOs and never had a name conflict.

Note: Whendy is taken on my servers, so don't bother trying. :D Needless to say, my Whendy's have gone through all server consolidations unscathed.

Edited by Andryah

A lot of people put effort into modifying vowels, or extended character sets, and miss the option to insert a silent consonant.

For example: Wendy can become Whendy

It works so well in fact that I have never had a name collision with Whendy in any MMO. It just does not happen. I have been using that name with a silent consonant for more then a decade in MMOs and never had a name conflict.

Note: Whendy is taken on my servers, so don't bother trying. :D Needless to say, my Whendy's have gone through all server consolidations unscathed.

Whehnhdhy. :p

:D

/agree

If they had changed the name of my server, I would have been pissed, but accepted it. The fact that they kept the name the same, and are now telling me I have to change my name, due to somebody being moved from a DEAD server is out of order...

What SERVER it was from doesn't matter since they made an effort to make sure the TOON wasn't dead. Where they were is completely irrelevant, especially since other than the manual moves you had no control over how active your server is.

Did it ever occur to anyone that it might be the SUBSCRIBERS who got to keep their names during the transfer? That's why SUBBING will still be important, even more so when this game goes F2P. Sorry if you don't agree with that, but Bioware/EA is in the business of making money, not letting people play for free.

What SERVER it was from doesn't matter since they made an effort to make sure the TOON wasn't dead. Where they were is completely irrelevant, especially since other than the manual moves you had no control over how active your server is.

If a character is on a dead server then the likelihood of the character being active is very slim, dead server has no players, no community, they all went to active servers when they could not do much on their original ones.

Bioware should listen to negative feedback more then the positive. If you never tell somebody they are doing something wrong then they will continue to do it the way they have always done it, there is no need for improvement. If you tell them they done something wrong, they can improve it, and make people happier, and then use the same feedback to help make better games/expansions in the future.

Bioware dine this with ME and DA series, DA players said they disliked the way your Origins choices had no impact on DA2, so they say this is being changed, and will be a big part of DA3. ME fans hated ME3 ending, so they made a new one...

Did it ever occur to anyone that it might be the SUBSCRIBERS who got to keep their names during the transfer? That's why SUBBING will still be important, even more so when this game goes F2P. Sorry if you don't agree with that, but Bioware/EA is in the business of making money, not letting people play for free.

Right now, we are all subscribers... I have been subbing for ages, and am being told to change 3 names of people who were already in Red Eclipse.

My character, Ramos, who has had the same name since day 1 of early access, made it from Dreshdae Cantina to Shadowlands without needing a name change. Now, after merging DEAD servers onto the new "improved" Shadowlands, I have to change his name? It doesn't seem fair to me. I've played this character for the better part of 9 months regularly, and indeed have my legacy named after him.

My character, Ramos, who has had the same name since day 1 of early access, made it from Dreshdae Cantina to Shadowlands without needing a name change. Now, after merging DEAD servers onto the new "improved" Shadowlands, I have to change his name? It doesn't seem fair to me. I've played this character for the better part of 9 months regularly, and indeed have my legacy named after him.

THIS.

The fact is, none of us had problems with names until dead servers got merged with active servers.

Is is highly unlikely that a player on a dead server was active on that server, so any characters their are more then likely inactive, and it is them who should have their names changed,

in all reality everyone got moved to a new server, they just name it Prophecy of the Five or The bastion. this is literally a completely new server with an old name. the names go off of you had it first/longer and how long said person has been subscribed. i had checked one of my names on PotF and it was taken, but after the merge i kept mine (since i had it since early access).