The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A Tale of Two Games: ToR and WoW - Review!

dvvx

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you try to use the point of this game should be released to be a direct result of the time period it is in, you fail to think outside the box a bit.

Sure this game was started on in 2005 and WoW came out in 2004. How many years before 2004 did Blizz start working on WoW? I played WoW on day one and several years after and WoW was at best lacking some features of other MMO's out at the time, MMO's that had been out for years before WoW.

Now think on the other hand: Wow released in 2004, SW started work in 2005. They were working off the current status of MMO's at5 that time, we can all agree on this. Now think about how big MMO's are, how much time it takes to develop the background aspects, the coding, the story, etc etc... If BW stopped every time WoW or any other MMO released new and improved functions of their MMO and went back to attempt to match it for thier game... hmm.

All the previous coding would be stopped, they would have to go back to the drawing board, figure out how to implement the new features in their game, come up with new programming, internal testing, man hours etc. By the time they get caught up, the other MMO's released something else new... rinse and repeat.

If BW followed this protocol, the game would never be released.

That's exactly what happened to Duke Nukem.

Sure this game was started on in 2005 and WoW came out in 2004. How many years before 2004 did Blizz start working on WoW? I played WoW on day one and several years after and WoW was at best lacking some features of other MMO's out at the time, MMO's that had been out for years before WoW.

This is wrong, please name some of these features that WoW was lacking on release and several years later.

PvP is the only feature WoW didn't have on release which could have been considered status quo. It was subsequently implemented in the upcoming months. WoW had raiding, dungeons, guilds, mounts, on day 1.

This is wrong, please name some of these features that WoW was lacking on release and several years later.

PvP is the only feature WoW didn't have on release which could have been considered status quo. It was subsequently implemented in the upcoming months. WoW had raiding, dungeons, guilds, mounts, on day 1.

Wait a second, World of Warcraft gradually began adding content via large game patches well after the release date to improve the quality of the game?

Woah, what a novel idea! I hope ToR capitalizes on this!

Also, here are a couple of things off the top of my head that WoW lacked.

1. Any sort of feasible or enjoyable end game content.

2. Battlegrounds (not sure if this is what you meant by pvp)

3. Token currency system.

Edited by Jhonen

PvP and Player Housing were the two major omissions at launch. The game also released in a borderline unplayable state due to the loot lag bug. The common consensus amongst detractors at the time was that it was a cartoony, content-lite Everquest clone that would crash and burn due to its shaky launch.

PvP and Player Housing were the two major omissions at launch. The game also released in a borderline unplayable state due to the loot lag bug. The common consensus amongst detractors at the time was that it was a cartoony, content-lite Everquest clone that would crash and burn due to its shaky launch.

Agreed.

Let's not forget how much trouble Blizzard had at launch. There were numerous bugs in the game, some that made the game unplayable in some form or another. Servers were up and down, queues (yes SW has queues as well), and more.

Also If i recall correctly, Blizzard gave most subscribers a "free" week of play due to some servers being offline for several hours to a day or two at a time.

Not to mention that, like now funny enough, World of Warcraft had to compete with a Star Wars MMO that was, in my humble opinion, superior to WoW in almost every way/shape/form.

It's too bad that the moment a small portion of their player base went to go on to try WoW that SoE, well, turned it into a WoW clone.

If you want to see a WoW clone with player housing and space combat, take a look at SWG after the New Game Update. That is a WoW clone in space.

Oh wait, you can't. It was shut down five days ago for good.

R.I.P. SWG.

tl;dr - Nope

I'll give you a story of 2 Games...WoW Sucks with its Pokemon and Panda's making it even worse.

Tor took alot of what WoW and other games have and made it better plus adding in fantastic storyline.

To me this game is a keeper. I'm tired of WoW and its fanbois and I'm most definitely tired of the ridiculous grind to do anything with little in the way to entertain you which is what a game is all about.

Please go back to WoW and stay there..and I hope you enjoy the new care bear hand holding skill system when the expansion hits.

Edited by Kindara

I gave you PvP, and I'll give you player housing. What else? What major features did WoW not have. We're talking about features here, not whether or not it had a smooth launch, but by all means continue to throw out red herrings.

The problem is that I can list at least 10 standard 2012 MMO features ToR doesn't have off the top of my head. But you're so adamant in defending this game, you can't stay objective. See, I don't love WoW. As a matter of fact, I haven't played it for more than a year, but I completely understand why it's successful and why it continues to be the most played MMO. Do you?

If you do, then why do you even defend the lack of a combat log, the lack of mods, the lack of UI customization, the lack of PvP, etc. we see in ToR?

Edited by dvvx

I gave you PvP, and I'll give you player housing. What else? What major features did WoW not have. We're talking about features here, not whether or not it had a smooth launch, but by all means continue to throw out red herrings.

The problem is that I can list at least 10 standard 2012 MMO features ToR doesn't have off the top of my head. But you're so adamant in defending this game, you can't stay objective. See, I don't love WoW. As a matter of fact, I haven't played it for more than a year, but I completely understand why it's successful and why it continues to be the most played MMO. Do you?

If you do, then why do you even defend the lack of a combat log, the lack of mods, the lack of UI customization, the lack of PvP, etc. we see in ToR?

Just as someone else said in terms of Duke Nukem... if BW stopped and tried to implement every feature that WoW came out with along the way,t his game would never be released.

A game is not made in a month.

Anyways, you seem to be content on your opinion, so I am done responding.

Just as someone else said in terms of Duke Nukem... if BW stopped and tried to implement every feature that WoW came out with along the way,t his game would never be released.

A game is not made in a month.

Anyways, you seem to be content on your opinion, so I am done responding.

Also, it's not 2012 yet :)

everyone is entitled to there own opinion, even if its wrong. I love this game, every aspect of it. does it need improving? yes it does, but what game doesn't need improving? Even the almighty WOW needs improving in areas. Nothing is perfect and to expect perfection in anything is very ignorant in my opinion. I think this game will be around for years to come.

I disagree with the OP. The game is amazing. I am having a blast and plan on staying. Also I am sick to death of game comparisons. If WoW is so fantastic then stay there and play that. I played WoW for a long time and there was a time where I enjoyed it. I will not be going back.

Same here, last two years i got bored ********, time to move on.

I read an interview with Roger Ebert once, in which he said that he went into every movie he's ever seem wanting to like it. It is quite clear that you never had the intention to enjoy the game, and because of that your review should be entirely discounted.

Please do better next time. Pick up an issue of Game Informer and learn what a real review is

I do love these amateur reviews, thinking people actually want to hear what they have to say.

It's like when the BETA happened and we had 50 topics an hour with 'MY REVIEW IM KIND OF A BIG DEAL SO READ THIS'

Your comments seem to be 'WoW is better, ToR sucks and because I'm kind of a big deal you should listen to me when Is say this game won't last.

Well, go play something else.

And please, don't take up reviewing as a career, that was a horribly boring read.

I always find people comparing to a 7 year old game kind of funny. The problem with WoW (and we've been seeing it with declining subs over the last year) is that it's on a decline. The game is 7 years old, many people are starting to be fatigued on the gameplay style, the world, the whole package. It's hard to keep Azeroth feeling fresh after so long. That is where TOR has a potential in. I think it can have life because ultimately it keeps the formula "mostly" the same (which is a good and bad IMO) but it has a highly respected and enjoyed IP to push it forward.

Is TOR a WoW killer? I hate that question because it doesn't need to be. Does TOR have the ability to be a successful, fairly long term MMO? Absolutely. There is enough in the core game and it will only be expanded upon in the coming months. I personally expect to be out of here when GW2 arrives, but simply put TOR is a great and enjoyable game to play until I'm ready to move on.

Come on guys, the OP is obviously an employee of Blizzard and is desperately trying to deter SWTOR subscribers back to WoW as the WoW populcation starts to dwindle....

No disrespect to WoW as it indeed revolutionized MMO's for years to come, but it's best days are behind them and SWTOR has kicked off a new age as well as flavor to MMO gaming and will last a long time in my opinion.

May the Force be with you.....Always....

Edited by JediRaffa

Just to add 2 more points real quick:

1 - I find myself actually caring about my IA and his constant internal struggle (my own) to be a loyal Officer of the Empire without sacrificing his soul... I havent had this feeling about an IG character in a very, very, very long time. (Id say last time was my Priest in WoW Vanilla).

2- Again about the combat, I find running at bad guys who's health bar is down to nothing, shooting at them (pushing the white dmg button over and over) and watching them drop as I approach them to be a whole hell of a lot of fun! More fun than ive had in MMO combat in a long long time. Running up to people to knife them with a Vapor Blade to finish them off is ****** fun too. I actually find myself mashing my white dmg button harder and harder as I approach, much the same as you would IRL, as if somehow pulling the trigger harder increases the damage the bullet is actually going to do. Its as if inside im screaming "die! die!"

Really WoW macro auto combat to me the last 2 years I played was sooooooo a yawner.

Edited by pattongb

Long live Titan

Do you even know what Titan will be?

First u rant about SW:TOR being too much like WoW, yet somehow worse, backing it up with CS:S experience. Then u claim a game that is only known by its name will be the next big mmo. You mention fanboys, yet you seem to be a Blizzard fanboy yourself?

And i did not read most of your post.

Edited by Zakuras

Sorry dont mean to hijack the thread but any ex military guys out there?

Have you noticed that the sound of grenades going off in this game is most certainly taken from the real life sound of an artillery round hitting its target down range?

I was in the Gulf War and the first time I heard this sound I almost jumped out of my chair.

Very well done BW, bravo!!