New to the game - pessimism all around!

Recoup

Not me, of course. Just around me, it feels.

I was watching this game pre-launch a while back under the forum username Kanith, but I noticed a lot of stuff got changed including what seems to be a dump of forum users. Interesting.

Anyway, I took a stroll on the 15-level trial and enjoyed myself so much I bought the game for the standard $15 and have been strutting my stuff around the Jung Ma PvP-RP server. While activity hasn't been exploding (coming from a guy who played WoW for some five years before quitting in 2009) I have enjoyed the small bit of interaction between characters on the server. There is one thing I've noticed, though:

Everyone seems so pessimistic. Perhaps I missed out on the real fun-time bash that was early Old Republic, but on the whole I am indeed having fun playing the game. There is enough life to not feel like the worlds are completely empty, but also not overcrowded so I don't feel "small". I'm just curious where all the dire vibes are coming from. Personally I'd like to cruise through the story, sidequests, and join a nice RP guild and settle down. What's with all the naysayers?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of experienced (and some times spoiled) MMO players have taken up this game. This has sadly lead to many people believing this game should be identical, if not far succeed, the game they left (or forced to leave in the case of Star Wars Galaxy) to play this.

Believe me, it was actually much worse in the past (especially around patch 1.2) and things have been improving quiet nicely since then.

What's with all the naysayers?

If you're having fun, ignore the naysayers. Those people will try to convince you this is a terrible MMO. It's not. It's really not a terrible MMO at all.

No, what we have here is a mediocre MMO. One which can be fun, does have its moments and some people really enjoy. Others find it disappointing, uninspiring and feel that it lacks any real innovation anywhere that counts.

We all have different opinions. If you are having fun with SWTOR, keep playing it for exactly as long as you are continuing to enjoy it.

This is without a doubt a great game, and people will always complain about any game they play, they want a new game that is different than WoW, they get one and then they complain that it isnt like WoW. They want the game to have 8 plus years of content within the first month of release, um its an MMO baby here it takes time to grow but they would rather talk trash about it instead of embrace it and enjoy what we have. THe game has gone leaps and bounds above what it had on release and my advice to you, stick around because this is IMO the best thing out there right now and not because it is star wars but because its still new and can only get better and better

A lot of experienced (and some times spoiled) MMO players have taken up this game. This has sadly lead to many people believing this game should be identical, if not far succeed, the game they left (or forced to leave in the case of Star Wars Galaxy) to play this.

I haven't really found this to be the case. SWTOR is very identical to many mainstream MMO's actually.

What really bothers me (and seems to bother many others), is the extremely slow rate that Bioware puts out content and fixes bugs. To make matters worse, it also seems like Bioware and EA have really stopped caring about us and the game.

But there is still lots of fun to be had for someone starting out. The class storylines are great!

Just keep playing as long as you're happy.

F2P may breath some new life into the game as well. Time will tell.

I agree, before I started the game I would visit the forums and it feels like EVERY other post

Is a complaint/I quit/Bioware fails thread.

It's a good thing for some reason in game the community doesn't feel that way (most of the time) I've been lucky to meet some fun, nice players.

But honestly, the attitude of some current subscribers really hurts the game potential and they don't even realize it. I hesitated to subscribe just because of all the negativity I thought wow these people are miserable the game must be terrible.

Im happy I gave it a chance though. I guess some people don't realize you DO have the option to quit.

This is without a doubt a great game, and people will always complain about any game they play, they want a new game that is different than WoW, they get one and then they complain that it isnt like WoW.

Although many people complain that it is exactly like WoW and that is the problem with it.

They want the game to have 8 plus years of content within the first month of release, um its an MMO baby here it takes time to grow but they would rather talk trash about it instead of embrace it and enjoy what we have. THe game has gone leaps and bounds above what it had on release and my advice to you, stick around because this is IMO the best thing out there right now and not because it is star wars but because its still new and can only get better and better

This part I agree with. However, there is a difference between not having 8 years worth of content and not having features that are considered standard in any modern MMO.

The game has come along enormously since release, but that is not to say that all criticism of it is invalid. While this game has been plagued by people filling the forums with baseless vitriol because it didn't immediately meet all and every expectation they had regarding their perfect MMO, the forum has also been plagued by fanboys who attack anyone who dares to raise any criticism of the game. Their usual tactic is to say that if a player doesn't like the game, it is the player's fault. You can usually spot these fanboys by their liberal use of the world "entitled".

Although many people complain that it is exactly like WoW and that is the problem with it.

This part I agree with. However, there is a difference between not having 8 years worth of content and not having features that are considered standard in any modern MMO.

The game has come along enormously since release, but that is not to say that all criticism of it is invalid. While this game has been plagued by people filling the forums with baseless vitriol because it didn't immediately meet all and every expectation they had regarding their perfect MMO, the forum has also been plagued by fanboys who attack anyone who dares to raise any criticism of the game. Their usual tactic is to say that if a player doesn't like the game, it is the player's fault. You can usually spot these fanboys by their liberal use of the world "entitled".

Unfortunately, every MMO forums are like this, people complain all day long over and over and that really scares a lot of people into not playing it.

This game is excellent... EXCEPT for what it seems BW has done to those that have played for quite some time. I know 1.4 is to be released rather soon, however, it seems that BW has ignored many of the players that have stuck around sense launch.

I know all current strats, both in OP's and HM's, well enough to do write ups. I "raid" maybe 2-3 times a week and dont do much else outside of that in game any longer, i consider myself very casual. This makes me only wonder about the people who invest much more time than myself in this game and how bored they must be not seeing anything new sense early April. Then BW shows a major incentive for the next OP by showing the next tier of armor. Shocker, its the exact same armor skins as campaign with different color schemes (if you follow the pattern of tionese-columi-rakata looking the same and apply the time it took for this armor to be released, then we shouldnt expect to see a new armor skin before mid May of next year.). The real slap in the face comes with the idea that instead of developing new armor skins that the art development is spending a majority of its resources on Free To Play market.

Just seems that BW spends its time trying to increase revenue by solely focusing on new members and sacrifices its current subscribers to do so. We will see how long the crumb of the cookie that is 1.4 will last until we all complain about the next thing.

Unfortunately, every MMO forums are like this, people complain all day long over and over and that really scares a lot of people into not playing it.
Which is the primary motive for most who do it vehemently every chance they get. Coating their daggers with "EA's stock is dropping / servers are dead / the game is dying / Bioware doesn't care / fanboys need to take off their rose colored glasses ... because I want this game to succeed" is laughably pubescent. Fortunately the in-game community (and it's much larger than the bash 'n trash types are willing to admit) is head and shoulders above the forum community. Edited by GalacticKegger

Honestly, I have my gripes with the game....

....but...I see it this way. The people that are negative and complaining are only doing so because they want it to succeed. Sometimes people are just not very good at getting their point across in a constructive manner.

If I (or they) hated the game, they wouldn't be posting or playing now would they? We all just want this to work...it's just they make some really bad decisions over there in texas....(in my opinion of course)

....but...I see it this way. The people that are negative and complaining are only doing so because they want it to succeed. Sometimes people are just not very good at getting their point across in a constructive manner.

If I (or they) hated the game, they wouldn't be posting or playing now would they? We all just want this to work...it's just they make some really bad decisions over there in texas....(in my opinion of course)

Meh, I'd call it 33/33/33. Some complain because they honestly want to see their opinion put in action as an improvement. Some go to far and just come off as attention seekers. And others are just using left over game time to complain about how they never get what they wanted.

The only bummer (way much more so than anything in or about the game) is the predictable retaliation for saying anything anything good about the game. Do it and you can expect to get gang-banged. Which is why I rarely visit general discussion anymore.

Oh yea several of us have gotten on internet hit list and labeled Bioware employees for being positive about the game, one was even falsely accused of being a Audio Engineer for Bioware. One thing about Star Wars MMO's it brings out the nutballs. :rolleyes:

The only bummer (way much more so than anything in or about the game) is the predictable retaliation for saying anything "feel-good" about the game. Do it and you can expect to get gang-banged. Which is why I rarely visit general discussion anymore.

Well, then, I will say for the price of admission this game has been very worth it. In a lot of ways it is similar to WoW, but at the same time that makes it accessible to people like me who are familiar with WoW's control scheme and shortcuts, but weren't all that enamored with the Warcraft universe. I do still find myself selecting the incorrect shortcuts at times, however. :p

To-date it is fun, and I like this game. Perhaps it's not the mind-blowing experience people were expecting, but I think Bioware pulled a Peter Molyneux in how much they hyped up the game experience. The developer has an excellent track record of making quality RPG's, but an MMO requires a degree of expertise I don't think they understood. EA, I think, contributes to this detriment by requiring the studio to continue to pump out AAA+ titles for the offline market, while still continuing with TOR's development. The leeches that are EA certainly do not contribute to the success of TOR, but at the same time it is also up to BioWare to take some initiative in how they spend their time.

Overall, nice place you got here.

This.

SWTOR being my first mmo, this game was great when I first got it.

Paid $60 off the shelf, installed it, and said this game is pretty good for $60. After one month, sub fee kicked it, ok $75 now, not bad, worth $75.

$90. Haven't done everything, keep paying/playing.

$105.

$120.

$135. Hmm.

$150.

$165.

$180.

Ok, as is, this game is not worth paying $180+ to play anymore (comparatively speaking to all the other video game options out there). Personal option of course. Will be back when game hits f2p to see what things are like. Til then!

Paid $60 off the shelf, installed it, and said this game is pretty good for $60. After one month, sub fee kicked it, ok $75 now, not bad, worth $75.

$105.

$120.

$135. Hmm.

$150.

$165.

$180.

Ok, as is, this game is not worth paying $180+ to play anymore (comparatively speaking to all the other video game options out there). Personal option of course. Will be back when game hits f2p to see what things are like. Til then!

Usually when people compare MMO prices costs vs games, they incorporate the amount of time played along with it. $180 = 3 AAA titles or 9 months of MMO action. I don't know about you but I could easily blow $180 on other games within a 9 month time span if I wasn't playing this game as often.

I don't know about you but I could easily blow $180 on other games within a 9 month time span if I wasn't playing this game as often.

This is very true for me as well. Although I am still leaving this game for a bit when my sub runs out in October. It's just not worth $15 per month anymore for me.

If you're having fun, ignore the naysayers. Those people will try to convince you this is a terrible MMO. It's not. It's really not a terrible MMO at all.

No, what we have here is a mediocre MMO. One which can be fun, does have its moments and some people really enjoy. Others find it disappointing, uninspiring and feel that it lacks any real innovation anywhere that counts.

We all have different opinions. If you are having fun with SWTOR, keep playing it for exactly as long as you are continuing to enjoy it.

Actually I have found it's the other way around. Complaints mostly seem to be leveled at Bioware, at it seems to me the most common action after that as far as who is trying to convince who is the smaller group of game supporters that try to convince those naysayers the game is fine, it is the naysayers fault, or they should leave and play something else.

Which of course 2/3 of the players did exactly that.

It is always interesting to me when a game critic will try and convince fans his opinion is a defensible one. After all, it doesn't matter what the game fans think...they will say and do anything to try and discredit the critic, and history is on the critics side...the game has lost a substantial amount of players. No amount of spin is going to change that.

What I am most concerned about is the folks that do not post their complaints and simply leave. I would rather they speak up...Bioware needs to hear what players feel is wrong with their game IMO.

Edited by LordArtemis

This is exactly the thing people who are "protecting" the game fail to understand.

$105.

$120.

$135. Hmm.

$150.

$165.

$180.

You are paying for a "service".

Think of the price of the game as the deposit on your cable TV or Sat Dish Box.

Then the fee you pay per month to watch said TV is your price for the service ( or subscription ).

I imagine most pay more per month on Cable TV than they do utilizing the service of any MMOPRG.

But, you have to determine the marginal utility of each product and service YOU choose to buy.

Edited by Urael

I was watching this game pre-launch a while back under the forum username Kanith, but I noticed a lot of stuff got changed including what seems to be a dump of forum users. Interesting.

Anyway, I took a stroll on the 15-level trial and enjoyed myself so much I bought the game for the standard $15 and have been strutting my stuff around the Jung Ma PvP-RP server. While activity hasn't been exploding (coming from a guy who played WoW for some five years before quitting in 2009) I have enjoyed the small bit of interaction between characters on the server. There is one thing I've noticed, though:

Everyone seems so pessimistic. Perhaps I missed out on the real fun-time bash that was early Old Republic, but on the whole I am indeed having fun playing the game. There is enough life to not feel like the worlds are completely empty, but also not overcrowded so I don't feel "small". I'm just curious where all the dire vibes are coming from. Personally I'd like to cruise through the story, sidequests, and join a nice RP guild and settle down. What's with all the naysayers?

I know what you mean. But just remember that forums are where angry people go to complain, usually, at least in terms of the General Discussion forum.

Of course there are others who come just to read and respond and contribute, but the percentage of players who visit the forums is a small one. Most of the players are in the game, having fun and playing.

I, like you, love the game, and i've been playing it quite a bit all the way since Early Access in December. I've still only completed ONE character class's story all the way to 50, and am almost to the end of Chapter 3 on my SECOND character class, which leaves 6 left to go, including all of the Imperial stories.

If you aren't rushing through it, and are playing all of the parts of the game, including PVP, there's plenty to keep people going.

Anyway, enjoy, and don't let the pessimism get you down!

All I can tell you is that over 1.5 million players unsubbed.

Make of it what you will, only reporting facts.

I know what you mean. But just remember that forums are where angry people go to complain, usually, at least in terms of the General Discussion forum.

Of course there are others who come just to read and respond and contribute, but the percentage of players who visit the forums is a small one. Most of the players are in the game, having fun and playing.

I, like you, love the game, and i've been playing it quite a bit all the way since Early Access in December. I've still only completed ONE character class's story all the way to 50, and am almost to the end of Chapter 3 on my SECOND character class, which leaves 6 left to go, including all of the Imperial stories.

If you aren't rushing through it, and are playing all of the parts of the game, including PVP, there's plenty to keep people going.

Anyway, enjoy, and don't let the pessimism get you down!

It's heartening to know that there is enough content to go-round. I was afraid that I'd breeze through the classes and stories lickiddy-split and be forced to make another class in order to continue enjoying some good storytelling. Already the game is miles ahead of other MMO's simply because the characters giving me quests feel like legit stories instead of being forced to imagine the sorrow of the widow who's husband's remains I must discover. Immersion, yes!

Edited by Recoup