So I went through the 1.4 notes line-by-line for things that interest me

Felioats

And didn't come up with much. After three months since 1.3, I'd expect great game experience improvements for everyone.

Players can now use "match color to chest" for their companions, and can choose to show or hide companion head gear.

Companions no longer have their weapons drawn on the player's starship.

Several gathering nodes that were previously inaccessible (for instance, some that were underneath terrain) can now be harvested.

While participating in a Flashpoint conversation, using Esc to cancel a conversation and then pressing the "x" button to close the window no longer causes the player to exit the Flashpoint instance.

Players who leave an active Group Finder instance can now be returned to the location they were in when they used the "travel now" dialog option to travel to the instance.

A majority of offhand items can now be modified. Shields, Generators, and Foci accept Armoring modifications, and Vibroknives and Shotguns accept Barrels. Additionally, they can contain Color Crystal, Mod, and Enhancement slots (though the Color Crystal slot does not currently impact the visuals of the item). Note that there are some exceptions – not all offhands can be modified.

Several cinematics throughout the game have been improved. In many cases, animations have been cleaned up and missing or extraneous characters have been addressed.

Players can now use shift+right click to equip an item directly on their active companion.

Trees and large moving objects now cast animated shadows in the game world. Shadows are smoother, and players will notice improved self-shadowing. Additionally, the shadow system has been optimized to increase performance.

Many places in the world where players could get stuck have been fixed.

Several typographical errors have been corrected.

Not a fan of the mood facial expressions?

New operation?

Ability to trade boss drops for the first 2 hours?

Resolve adjustment changes?

Class changes in general?

Heck, these right here alone can create a large amount of great game experiences for everyone (Role players/ Raiders/ PVPers/ Leveling).

i'd say the only people they didn't work to improve the game for is crafters and those sandbox people who want their own custom housing.

I don't roleplay, raid, or PvP, and the class changes are kind of a wash.

If your expecting more class stories then your probably going to be waiting a long time....

Since PvP'ing and Raiding makes up probably 90% of end game content I'm not sure why you would hang around... If your expecting more class stories then your probably going to be waiting a long time.... I wouldn't expect anymore of that until a full blown expansion comes out and if F2P doesn't generate enough new revenue I doubt we will ever see one..

Players can now use "match color to chest" for their companions, and can choose to show or hide companion head gear.

That's a pretty decent update.

Moddable offhands are a very nice thing too.

Although I see the OPs point in the sense that these are quality of life updates as opposed to content.

Uhm, why are you here then? Crafting? Leveling alts?

Whatever it is you do, seems likely Bioware is appealing to the vast majority with these changes.

Lol, was thinking the very same thing!!

That's like saying "the updates done interest me - I don't play SWTOR"..........O_o

Not a fan of the mood facial expressions?

New operation?

Ability to trade boss drops for the first 2 hours?

Resolve adjustment changes?

Class changes in general?

Heck, these right here alone can create a large amount of great game experiences for everyone (Role players/ Raiders/ PVPers/ Leveling).

i'd say the only people they didn't work to improve the game for is crafters and those sandbox people who want their own custom housing.

Yeah, these are the things I thought would be here haha.

1. Where is the new planet, new warzone, new species, new companion, etc. The only SIGNIFICANT content update, in this long awaited patch, is a new operation. Man, I really want this game to succeed, but my patience is wearing thin. There is a lot of talk, but no delivery. I'll give it until the end of the year. If the promise of "more content, more often" is not being delivered, I'm off to try my hand at some of the other new games on the market. I want this game to succeed, but damn, give me "more content, more often!" You guys told us that would be the case - now get on it!

1. Where is the new planet, new warzone, new species, new companion, etc. The only SIGNIFICANT content update, in this long awaited patch, is a new operation. Man, I really want this game to succeed, but my patience is wearing thin. There is a lot of talk, but no delivery. I'll give it until the end of the year. If the promise of "more content, more often" is not being delivered, I'm off to try my hand at some of the other new games on the market. I want this game to succeed, but damn, give me "more content, more often!" You guys told us that would be the case - now get on it!

they have said constantly sense the f2p announcement that those will be spread out over a few major game updates. Every 6 weeks there should be a new major patch ---its all leading to the free to play.

they have said constantly sense the f2p announcement that those will be spread out over a few major game updates. Every 6 weeks there should be a new major patch ---its all leading to the free to play.

This.

I think F2P will hit with Makeb and Cathar. It might be free but I wouldnt bet on it. Id expect 1.5 in the November time frame. That will be when F2P hits.

Edit: No sources this is my gut feeling and therefore was pulled out of my arse

Edited by Imhotep

That's a pretty decent update.

Moddable offhands are a very nice thing too.

Although I see the OPs point in the sense that these are quality of life updates as opposed to content.

We have big content coming, though. Operation, warzone, and in time Makeb. Personally, I am glad that quality-of-life upgrades are making it in - even fixing typos, which don't change how the game plays at all but definitely bug me when I see them. Then again, it's hard not to. I am, among other things, and editor. :)

These look like nice changes. I'm glad to see them in.

Yea, seems to me Bioware is living up to its promise this time. We had an event 4 weeks ago, and this release will probably go live in 2-3 weeks. And I'm guessing 6 weeks after that, we will see the new wz. And 6 weeks after that, f2p with Makeb + Cathars.

Sounds about right, though I think Makeb may be farther out if it's really a big as they are hinting at.

As for Cathar.... people seem to forget that with Cathars come back annotations through the various eligible story arcs. I know people want all new story progression for level cap +, but inserting a new race into the game does inject new 1-50 storyline play as well.

We have big content coming, though. Operation, warzone, and in time Makeb. Personally, I am glad that quality-of-life upgrades are making it in - even fixing typos, which don't change how the game plays at all but definitely bug me when I see them. Then again, it's hard not to. I am, among other things, and editor. :)

I agree. It goes to refinements, and attention to detail (like cleaning up points in game that characters get stuck and need to pull the /stuck command), which is a normal component of post launch MMO work.

And they basically said after 1.3 that they would be shifting focus some toward quality of life as part of content updates (since they felt they had made all the needed major structural and adjusting patches by the completion of 1.3) Even the PvP changes this patch are more about quality of life (in a PvP context) then any major mechanics/balance changes IMO.

Edited by Andryah

The problem is they are making promised they cannot live up too. Content every 6 weeks has clearly been far, far to much to live up to up until now, and I can't see that changing post-F2P (with the dev team getting ever smaller).

I think they should be more realistic with their "goal", new content every 3 months maybe (maybe even every 6).