SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

exca

Theoretical question: What would happen if someone would put the entire game onto a RAM drive? If I have 64GB of RAM, the game would take up less then half of it.

Theoretically it would load instantaneously. I have 24GB of RAM, I want to try this unleashed method this weekend. Probably donate 16GB to the effort. Windows and normal apps don't need more than 8 at a Max.

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theoretically it would load instantaneously. I have 24GB of RAM, I want to try this unleashed method this weekend. Probably donate 16GB to the effort. Windows and normal apps don't need more than 8 at a Max.

Not really, most of the loading time comes from network communication unfortunatelly :/

Is this still in development? Last update was 10/13, running that one, but not sure if with new patches it changes anything or if it is hurting performance. Just wondering thanks!

I'm still running the current version w/o any issues.

I just tried to run this and I think it screwed up my SWTOR install and my computer in one fell swoop. While I have full usage of my 8GB of RAM and HDD space restored to my gaming drive, SWTOR isn't patching correctly anymore (stuck at installing Assets 87) and all of my other games are slideshowing. I've gone into registry, BIOS, you name it, and I can't find anything wrong.

Does SWTOR unleashed screw with something deeper in a PC than we realize?

I just tried to run this and I think it screwed up my SWTOR install and my computer in one fell swoop. While I have full usage of my 8GB of RAM and HDD space restored to my gaming drive, SWTOR isn't patching correctly anymore (stuck at installing Assets 87) and all of my other games are slideshowing. I've gone into registry, BIOS, you name it, and I can't find anything wrong.

I suggest you try to read the original post entirely (especially "limits" part) since it answers your questions already.

Edited by exca

Make sure you either reboot or simply launch the Unleashed app and choose retail mode, as this will remove the ram drive and free up your memory. You also need to do this step when patching, and as Exca has stated....this is all covered in the original post.

Theoretical question: What would happen if someone would put the entire game onto a RAM drive? If I have 64GB of RAM, the game would take up less then half of it.

I also have 64GB and made a ram drive for SW:TOR. My main drive is a Samsung 830 256GB SSD. I also have a 5400RPM drive i tried on for comparison. unfortunately I didn't sit and get any hard timeing numbers but they would've been useless anyway.

the 5400RPM drive was slow. Took about 2 minutes to full playable load from the toon selection screen

The Samsung 830 is a lot quicker. about 30-45 seconds depending on pop.

the Ram Drive is a few seconds quicker on average with a very small fps boost (over the SSD).

MOST of the loading bottle neck is server and network side.

Long story short I no longer run from the ram drive because when I'm running other memory intensive apps (After Effects and the like) it causes issues and the small performance gain over the SSD is not worth the time for loading the RamDrive.

TL;DR; If you got a quality SSD just stick with that unless you never reboot and never use the ram.

I also have 64GB and made a ram drive for SW:TOR. My main drive is a Samsung 830 256GB SSD. I also have a 5400RPM drive i tried on for comparison. unfortunately I didn't sit and get any hard timeing numbers but they would've been useless anyway.

the 5400RPM drive was slow. Took about 2 minutes to full playable load from the toon selection screen

The Samsung 830 is a lot quicker. about 30-45 seconds depending on pop.

the Ram Drive is a few seconds quicker on average with a very small fps boost (over the SSD).

MOST of the loading bottle neck is server and network side.

Long story short I no longer run from the ram drive because when I'm running other memory intensive apps (After Effects and the like) it causes issues and the small performance gain over the SSD is not worth the time for loading the RamDrive.

TL;DR; If you got a quality SSD just stick with that unless you never reboot and never use the ram.

I also have a good SSD. I play unleashed with localapps+diskarena+fx+dynamic and it's quick to start and gives the best enhancement from what I tested.

I also have a good SSD. I play unleashed with localapps+diskarena+fx+dynamic and it's quick to start and gives the best enhancement from what I tested.

understood. the little side discussion was about running the whole game from a ram drive.

With the latest patch performance has really went down, may run from the ramdrive again but it seems to be more of a CPU or GPU issue but I could be making that up.

This totally changed my experience of the game ! I now run the game smoothly at high settings when i struggled getting constant framrates on low settings before ! thanks !

I'd just like to know if anyone has found which swtormain_area_ files to add for VOIDSTAR and NOVARE COAST warzones ?

thanks !

For about $50 you can get a quality 60-64GB SSD that will run this game (or any game) lightning fast without modifications, hacks, config files, or patch hassles. And if you shut down your PC you can take your game with you. :)

SWTOR Unleashed is also made for people with SSD such as myself. Please refrain from misleading people with this kind of comments. Regards.

SWTOR Unleashed is also made for people with SSD such as myself. Please refrain from misleading people with this kind of comments. Regards.

There is nothing misleading about my comment. If you are experiencing game delays while data loads from a conventional hard drive, you can install an SSD drive into a free SATA port, format it NTFS, copy your game installation there and change your launch shortcut, and the delays will stop. Unleashed may be "made for people with SSD," but it should not actually be needed by people with SSD.

Ever tried it with AMD RAMdisk?

http://www.radeonramdisk.com/

I'm curious in trying this out. Will get an SSD today, Samsung 830. It's not the fastest, but since my mobo still has SATA2 it won't matter much anyway, but primarily chose this one because it has the best reliability reviews.

With 8GB of OCZ Fatality DDR2 RAM, is it worth trying a RAMdisk solution?

Hey,

when I quit the game in Unleashed mode, how do I start it again without ramdrive being rebuild from scratch?

I already had this question and response was that program is already doing that yet I observed that it is being recreated when I click "Unleashed". I must be doing something wrong then but cannot pinpoint it.

Thanks

PS. If anybody wonders - program works equally great with Win 8 Pro.

This totally changed my experience of the game ! I now run the game smoothly at high settings when i struggled getting constant framrates on low settings before ! thanks !

I'd just like to know if anyone has found which swtormain_area_ files to add for VOIDSTAR and NOVARE COAST warzones ?

thanks !

I use ProcMon program for that. I set it up to monitor swtor.exe and set filter to exclude any events when game reaches to ramdisk. Then I enter the area I want to check, start event collection, after hour or so I check the report for reference to individual files and pick few top in two separate categories: number of references to file and amount of data from each file.

All what is left is to add these files to Unleashed list and do not forget to turn off collecting when you are not in area you want. ;)

Will get an SSD today, Samsung 830. It's not the fastest, but since my mobo still has SATA2 it won't matter much anyway, but primarily chose this one because it has the best reliability reviews.

If you format that SSD with NTFS (not FAT) and move the game there, you shouldn't need anything else.

There is nothing misleading about my comment. [...] but it should not actually be needed by people with SSD.

If you format that SSD with NTFS (not FAT) and move the game there, you shouldn't need anything else.

That's exactly what I'm saying. You don't understand.

Edited by exca

Ever tried it with AMD RAMdisk?

http://www.radeonramdisk.com/

I'm curious in trying this out. Will get an SSD today, Samsung 830. It's not the fastest, but since my mobo still has SATA2 it won't matter much anyway, but primarily chose this one because it has the best reliability reviews.

It will outperform 10x at least the best SDD, so yes.