Legacy Names no longer unique

mrpayday

If this goes through then Legacy means nothing, maybe scrapping the whole thing and having just first names is the answer.

Legacy names never meant anything other than a poorly implemented surname. Because it was able to be turned on or off at whim it was never anything more.

Edited by Fettered

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are misunderstanding. I am suggesting that those opposed to this change (of which I am not one) should offer solutions that accommodate both side of the problem.

There is no accomodating solution. Either people get to pick whatever legacy name they want, or they don't. If I need "permission", then I can't really pick my name.

The only saving grace from this is the Legacy title, at least if someone takes your name you can with the title up know that person is the original. And identify them as such. Lets hope they dont take that away from us.

I guess I don't pay enough attention to the options in game (shows how much I care about my legacy name), but I thought they were one and the same. :confused:

Edited by HarleysRule

The only saving grace from this is the Legacy title, at least if someone takes your name you can with the title up know that person is the original. And identify them as such. Lets hope they dont take that away from us.

*blink*

So the person that displays their name {FN Legacy Name} is not the original but the person that displays their name as FN <Legacy Name under FN as title> is the original? Last time I checked, EVERYONE has the ability to show their name as: FN only, FN Legacy Name, FN <Title under name>.

What are you trying to say?

Edited by Urael

There is no accomodating solution. Either people get to pick whatever legacy name they want, or they don't. If I need "permission", then I can't really pick my name.

You're asking me to defend a point of view I don't agree with, not going to happen. MY point however stands, those opposed to this change need to provide dialogue about it rather than attacks against those who support it.

Legacy names never meant anything other than a poorly implemented surname. Because it was able to be turned on or off at whim it was never anything more.

Well its Bios fualt, Look at the email they sent you when they were implimenting the Legacy system. To them it meant something. Thats it really nothing more to add. Thread over for me. :rolleyes:

Well its Bios fualt, Look at the email they sent you when they were implimenting the Legacy system. To them it meant something. Thats it really nothing more to add. Thread over for me. :rolleyes:

I said the Legacy name never meant anything, not the Legacy system. You can't turn the legacy system off, just the name.

I hate the fact that all of my characters have to have the same last name. :mad:

Agreed completely. This is the perfect opportunity to change that. We demand decoupling of the Legacy system from the naming system! And account wide legacies rather than server wide, and more character slots per server. Too much? :D

I said the Legacy name never meant anything, not the Legacy system. You can't turn the legacy system off, just the name.

Last post I promise. I understand that and I agree, But I remember the buzz that went around at the time, wastn a buzz about what the legacy system offered was a buzz about having a surname? surely it meant something ?

Agreed completely. This is the perfect opportunity to change that. We demand decoupling of the Legacy system from the naming system! And account wide legacies rather than server wide, and more character slots per server. Too much? :D

And hide hood, and hide companion head slot, and companion unify colour system...

And hide hood, and hide companion head slot, and companion unify colour system...

I agree the Companion hide head slot needs to be implimented. People have been calling for this for ages and I heard it would be implimented in the last patch to no avial.

Last post I promise. I understand that and I agree, But I remember the buzz that went around at the time, wastn a buzz about what the legacy system offered was a buzz about having a surname? surely it meant something ?

And even at that time of announcement there was a great deal of disagreement with the decision to make these names unique and limited in scope. Personally I feel the Legacy system is a good concept, that has been repeatedly poorly implemented. Since they probably have little to no intention of ever making the Legacy system something family memebers can share across accounts and they will likely continue to force people off of smaller servers even after the next round of server merges, I will support the removal of the necessity for the name to be unique. I'd be happier if other changes were made as well, but this one helps people who had no choice in the loss of their names or the inability to share names with family or friends, so I can live with some people being upset by their potential loss of uniqueness.

And even at that time of announcement there was a great deal of disagreement with the decision to make these names unique and limited in scope. Personally I feel the Legacy system is a good concept, that has been repeatedly poorly implemented. Since they probably have little to no intention of ever making the Legacy system something family memebers can share across accounts and they will likely continue to force people off of smaller servers even after the next round of server merges, I will support the removal of the necessity for the name to be unique. I'd be happier if other changes were made as well, but this one helps people who had no choice in the loss of their names or the inability to share names with family or friends, so I can live with some people being upset by their potential loss of uniqueness.

I love the Legacy system I can purchase repair bots post bots on low level players. It has a lot of benifits to it. The name we dissagree about. but I have said enough over it so its up to the powers that be to decide. The repair bot is a god send.

I love the Legacy system I can purchase repair bots post bots on low level players. It has a lot of benifits to it. The name we dissagree about. but I have said enough over it so its up to the powers that be to decide. The repair bot is a god send.

That and lvl 10 speeder!!!!

This is correct. This is a change made exactly for the preparation of server mergers.

For those of us who transferred back in July and then had to change our legacy names can we get a rest then?!?! I would like my old Legacy Name back!!!

For those of us who transferred back in July and then had to change our legacy names can we get a rest then?!?! I would like my old Legacy Name back!!!

Please read the patch notes or the first post on this thread. There will be a one time free legacy name change for all players in the future.

• Dev Post
Everyone, we've had to remove a very large number of posts from this thread for being off-topic, personal attacks, or otherwise against the rules. Remember that personal attacks, insults, and intentionally disrupting discussions will result in infractions or suspensions of your posting privileges. If you see a post that breaks the rules, please report it - don't respond in kind. Thank you.

It is coming the same time all of the other advertised content is coming:

(taken out of context from promotional videos, the developer's blog, facebook, twitter, & forum posts)

"Soon in the near future before January or before November but after today, before or after the time that F2P gets launched in the future, every 6 weeks regularly in the very near future."

The problem is you are conflating the Legacy name system with the @name system They are two distinctly different systems. The @name system was intended as a global way to identify player cross-faction (if you can call the Klingons a faction), cross game in (between CO and STO) and cross character.

The Legacy system has never had that depth. You are identified in game by your characters first name, tells are sent to the characters first name, guild rosters list you by first name, friends lists list you by first name. I can turn off my legacy name (or title display) and there is no way for another player to know what legacy I am a part of.

They are two different systems. If you want to argue for a @name system to be added to SWTOR that's fine, I might even get on board with you if it accompanies a decoupling of the surname from that system altogether so I can have different surnames for each character.

No. I am NOT. I was replying to what he said about Cryptic letting the unique identifier they have namely the @handles are shared. What's so hard to understand about that? He was the one who was confused what the unique identifier they use over there apparently.

And what you replied to even mentions this. Now if you want to continue taking what was said out of context, go ahead. But remember, when you change context and then argue it, you're only arguing with yourself.

Edited by Jacen_Starsolo