*Spoiler* Who did you choose? (Trooper)

PepiDeto

I'll put my answer in spoiler tags so that I am not ruining this for people reading the devtracker. :jawa_tongue:

I chose Jorgan because I felt his demotion was undeserved and he had shown he was more than capable to fill the role of of my XO. Dorne is definitely skilled, but I thought she would better serve Havoc squad in her current position.

Bleeters covered the major reason I went with Elara on both of my troopers - she provides the valuable alternate perspective/different skillset to complement my troopers', particularly compared with Jorgan, who would have largely just gone along with whatever my trooper said. An XO that keeps you on your toes and makes you aware of what you might be missing is a lot more valuable than one that keeps their mouth shut or will simply agree with you.

Other reasons

- Elara demonstrates a maturity about her difficult situation (vis a vis the way she is treated after defecting) that Jorgan simply doesn't about his demotion

- While Jorgan has more experience, Elara has plenty - 5-6 years, including time spent commanding a SAR squad on Taris, which is a pretty dangerous/impressive position

- When you ask them why they should get promoted/be made XO, Elara explains why she feels she deserves it, while Jorgan more or less feels entitled to the position (he's even disdainful you're asking him). If you don't pick him, you get a conversation with him about how you're "blind" to what a great officer he would be

If I could, I would have promoted Jorgan as well, but I didn't really see anything in Act I that made me think he would be anywhere near as valuable an XO to either of my troopers as Elara. Your mileage may and will vary, of course :p

Edited by Lesaberisa
  • Like 1

They were equally competent. Jorgen had more seniority with my character and more seniority period so I went with him. The only wrinkle was that I knew I was going to marry Elara. Me personally? I would have promoted my future wife or, at best, taken myself out of the decision making process. But my character is better than me, so...

Honestly, I picked Jorgan 'cause I like Thundercats. Also, because he reminds me of Riker.

"Make it so, Number One"

"Get me my coffee, Number One"

:D

But also, it's cause I felt bad for him taking the fall for what felt like my guy's fault. Also, Elara was wayyyyyyyy too skittish for my taste at that time. Wish I could promote more people now that I have the whole squad.

It was mentioned a little up, but the whole reason I picked Elara was because of how Jorgan reacts if you ask him why you should pick him. He gets offended and insults Elara's abilities and acts like he's entitled to it. Overall, Jorgan is a very childish character. Elara details her abilities and her knowledge to get her promotion - moreover Jorgan's whole Act 1 character arc is how he is bitter and angry about being demoted, while Elara's is that she deals with extreme discrimination with a smile and by the book, because that's the right way to do it.

The fact that when you pick Elara, Jorgan gets a conversation where he A. asks why you chose her over him when you're dating, then B. calls you blind for missing how unqualified she is, then C. Tells you you've 'made the wrong choice' just proves it.

Jorgan is a whiny baby, not promotion material in the least.

• 7 months later...
It's obvious why this is in place: promoting a woman because she sleeps with you is very, very corrupt.

It is? It sounds like a smart choice on the woman's part. :)

All joking aside, I worked for a company about 10 years ago that ended up firing the head of operations because he was sleeping with one of the employees under his dept and he promoted her over other people with more experience. No proof of course that it was because they were having an affair, but that was what everyone was saying.

And yea, he was married as well.

She got to keep her position, I'm sure the company didn't want to get sued.

Elara, simply because she had to put up with even more sh*t than Jorgan did. In my headcanon, Havoc's new chain of command goes like this:

Me > Elara > Jorgan > Yuun = the Weequay guy > Forex

My 'additions' to Havoc end it up like this:

Me > Elara > Jorgan > HK = my starfighter crew = Yuun = Weequay guy > Rusk > Zenith > Corso > Iresso

• 1 year later...

I guess this is a really old topic, but for the sake of not creating another one saying the same thing (and it's nice for people with the same question to see what others did) I will respond here.

This is actually my second Trooper, rerolled the first one but I did get to the point where I could promote either Dorne or Jorgan.

First time I picked Dorne. Jorgan treated me like crap when he was the senior officer and when I asked him to make his case, he just whined. I understand that there was cause for him to do that. But... when his sniper team gets captured all he has to say about them is "careless." And when Iresso mentioned him on my consular, he really couldn't stand Jorgan. So obviously he is not someone who would inspire troops.

Now I am about to make that decision again. Will I pick Dorne again? She goes a bit too much by the rulebook. But, she also questions people who think they are above the law to the point where she will abandon her family and endure a lot of crap to prove her loyalty. I feel her unwavering moral compass *could* inspire troops, at least to be efficient, whereas her paperwork-happy attitude might not...

But then, maybe that's something she can learn while being second in command of my Squad, under an officer who wants to get the job done but isn't necessarily following every rule from the book. She is not being asked to be the CO.

Jorgan? Yes, he got demoted unjustly maybe... but I am not sure he is officer material either. I know in real life officers don't necessarily win popularity contests, but if both myself and someone else (from a in-game perspective) thought he was a pain, then maybe he needs to learn a thing or two about command before he starts preaching me as he does at the beginning.

My trooper picked Elara because she felt she was far more qualified than Jorgan and overall a better leader than him.

Imagine how she felt when her boyfriend yelled at her for picking the better officer.

If I already wasn't locked into his romance with my trooper, I wouldn't have had her romance him after that.

Jorgan, hands down. My favorite companion of the Trooper class. He gets along much better with my more down and dirty, run straight into a fire fight trooper. I see Dorne letting regulations getting in the way in the long run of missions. It's a plus that he dislikes Tanno Vik as much as I do. His Edited by h_weber
  • Like 1

Jorgan, hands down. My favorite companion of the Trooper class. He gets along much better with my more down and dirty, run straight into a fire fight trooper. I see Dorne letting regulations getting in the way in the long run of missions. It's a plus that he dislikes Tanno Vik as much as I do. His

I thought that was one of the reasons Elara was the better choice for my Trooper. She kept her inline, or at least a voice of reason. Kirk and Spock! The tried and true partner combo!

Jorgan is the better leader of the two.

While Elara is a good, forthcoming and stand-up person and a good subordinate, she demonstrates a lack of key leadership qualities to me - relative to Jorgan, that is.

The fact I plan to bone Dorne had nothing to do with my decision (because it shouldn't).

I love Elara but in the end it was Jorgan.

He got a raw deal being made the scapegoat for the original Havoc Squad's defection so it was really a matter of correcting an injustice done. Besides that, while both are about equally qualified, I get the impression that Elara is a little too by the book, while Jorgan would bend the rules a and defy the odds a bit more to see the right thing done, which is how my Trooper tends to be.

At the beginning of Act 2 you have to choose who to promote to your XO, Elara or Jorgan. I am just curious as to who you chose and why?

I chose Dorne to see if it had any effect on the romance story arc.

I chose Dorne - her obsession with forms and procedures can be put to use, that way (instead of irritating me no end in the field). Jorgen always seemed to prefer action.

I always choose Jorgan as my XO. He has more experience, got demoted for no reason other than to be a scape goat and I married him, so in my mind the wife/husband team should be CO/XO. God, I miss Jorgan, stupid frozen popsicles. =(

Anyway, even on my male trooper I'll pick Jorgan, mostly because Jorgan is his father.

I went with Elara on the basis that her morality was closer to my Trooper's morality, so my Trooper would know that she would continue to lead the squad the same way he did if he was ever incapacitated.

Yeah this was basically my reason to go with Elara as well. I really liked her as a character, but part of that was her level of professionalism. In the fight with former Havoc squad commander Jorgan competely lost it, and far too often had very emotional reactions. I like to see my trooper as someone who wants to win, but wants to win it the right way. Elara fitted much more.

The hissy-fit you get from Jorgan later only further reinforced my beliefs that I promoted the right candidate. Plus, I am particularly fond of Elara :)

I tried both on different characters, then indulged in a little "creative writing" to extrapolate the histories of the two alternate Havoc Squads with Dorne and Jorgan as XO, assuming in both cases that my character was killed/otherwise unavailable so that the XO took over.

With Dorne, Garza was eventually investigated by the Senate for improper use of military personnel, because Dorne insisted on written orders under Republic Military Regulation #whoknowsandwhocares. The efficiency and effectiveness of Havoc plummeted because everything had to be according to regulations, and Dorne was eventually "promoted" to a post managing logistics on Coruscant.

With Jorgan, the squad's equipment was always shiny, but Havoc was still an efficient and effective fighting force despite the loss of its talismanic and highly decorated CO, providing Spec Force with a good go-to squad for discrete interventions in conflicts throughout the Galaxy.

In both cases, the new CO hated Tanno Vik (the Weequay rule-bender), and he was dishonorably discharged by Dorne, while being dishonorably discharged out of an airlock by Jorgan.

Yuun and M1-4X were both largely unaffected by the different COs, although Dorne did find Yuun's Findsman ways to be a bit unsettling and could not really bond with him.

Basically, I think that Dorne would make a fantastic XO in a more conventional military unit, where they are rigidly within the chain of command. Havoc, like most of Spec Force, exists semi-independently of the main Republic Military, taking on ops where the military cannot go or cannot be seen (Ando Prime, before the character joins Havoc on Ord Mantell, for example), so a more independent "get it done any way you can" attitude serves better.

That semi-independence means I give Jorgan my vote as XO. He has a crusty exterior and loves rules/snap inspections (as witnessed by Felix Iresso in the Consular storyline), but as you see from a mission on Coruscant where Garza orders you to execute civilians, and Jorgan disagrees with her assessment, he has the capability to not just follow rules, regs and orders. You also see from his companion mission on Hoth that, for all the hard exterior, he really cares for his troops, both current and former. He could learn to lighten up a little, but that is a personal leadership preference of mine, but for the most part he has shown himself to be a good soldier with a lot of upside in leadership scenarios.

Edited by Erevan_Kindelar