Appearnace Tab Is Needed....Badly

Thamelas

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'm sure the reason SWG died out was because it had appearance customization options in it :rolleyes:

It died because it was about silly stuff like customizing your appearance, decorating your house and not about gameplay. The SWG model was proven to be a failure.

If everybody can look like an epic character at level 1, what is the use of playing.

It died because it was about silly stuff like customizing your appearance, decorating your house and not about gameplay. The SWG model was proven to be a failure.

If everybody can look like an epic character at level 1, what is the use of playing.

Ahhhh, so here's the problem. You don't understand how these things work.

An Atab does not allow you to look like an epic character at level 1. You don't get to wear an appearance of something that you haven't A) acquired, and B) met the requirements to equip.

Link to the research that's proved this or it didn't happen :p

1. Being an epic character (i.e. have "epic" level abilities and matching gear--with stats in it, not just looks).
  2. Running through content and having fun. You know, actually playing the game.

Not necessarily in that order.

Also, appearance customization is not (necessarily) about "looking" epic (not entirely sure what "looking" epic means for that matter), its about looking the way you envision your toon (which might be a vagabond wearing street rags, not necessarily all flashy and shiny).

Edited by VisionStorm

Link to the research that's proved this or it didn't happen :p

1. Being an epic character (i.e. have "epic" level abilities and matching gear--with stats in it, not just looks).
  2. Running through content and having fun. You know, actually playing the game.

Not necessarily in that order.

Also, appearance customization is not (necessarily) about "looking" epic (not entirely sure what "looking" epic means for that matter), its about looking the way you envision your toon (which might be a vagabond wearing street rags, not necessarily all flashy and shiny).

And the servers aren't full of Darth Maul wannabes?

We will just have to agree to disagree. I think the game will benefit from a time sink rather than handing appearances on silver platter. More options the better, but you should earn it

We will just have to agree to disagree. I think the game will benefit from a time sink rather than handing appearances on silver platter. More options the better, but you should earn it

Earn it? You mean like running a flashpoint and winning the roll on a drop? Great, now you've earned that look. . . for a couple of level until that blue/purple item is no longer sufficient in stats.

You really don't understand the psychology of players that are interested in the appearace customization aspect of this type of game, or what things should be earned, and what things have nothing to do with earning them. Like I said in another post (in reply to you) a couple of pages back:

No, I dont like to "work" to in order to achive something as superficial as having the appearance I actually like for my character :p

I have to work to earn abilities... the way it should be

I have to work to earn high end ubah PvP gear... the way it should be

I have to work to earn the slave rags my character should have had since the start because of her background... erm, what? :confused:

Also, I don't have the attention span required to play a game for an extended period of time if I don't like to look at my character. Having a visually appealing character motivates me to play more--to grind through that content so I can gain levels, go through the story and unlock that ubah stat gear, which is the only type of gear that makes sense "working" for.

This game will not benefit from locking appearance behind endless grind, then re-grind as mentioned in the post below...

Earn it? You mean like running a flashpoint and winning the roll on a drop? Great, now you've earned that look. . . for a couple of level until that blue/purple item is no longer sufficient in stats.

Exactly.

Edited by VisionStorm

The competition already does this.

Rift - dyable armor, costume slots

LOTRO - dyable armor, costume slots

etc.

One can only hope this is the system they intend to replace "color as chest with". it'd be a shame to be forced to wear stupid looking armor in some vain attempt on the devs part to maximize the appearance of reward some people get from getting new boots with 1 more point of attribute and grey toes instead of green.

Making the system work is trivial. You allow people to color the primary/secondary colors of the armor with dyes that scale in cost / are crafted. Per piece

You use the costume slots per slot. To look like something, you have to own that armor and be able to equip it.

Works great, no fuss and everyone's happy.

Edited by Darth_Nox

The mod system allows you to customize stats of items while retaining a serious amount of control over the appearance of said item.

Insert a system where appearance and stats are completely non related, and you've just removed the entire reason for having a mod system.

Until end game where it has been nerfed so people cant game the system.

Well, if the mod gear is true as some are saying, where you can find the piece you like and mod it up...Then I don't see the reason for an A tab.

If it however is nothing like what people are saying, I'm still for an A tab. Simple as that.

EDIT: What I mean with the above is, people saying you can find any set as a mod set. If that part is true. Then yes I don't see a reason for an A tab.

Then again, doesn't matter how much you can mod gear if you can never mod it up to match high end gear, because you'll still need to switch out into said gear to get the best stats. And if that's the case, we'll all end up looking like raider man number 1000032 clone. So A tab would be good if this was the case.

Maybe it's because I'm low lvl, but so far any orange gear I've came across has a very low armor rating on it. Doesn't seem like you can up the armor on them, so in the end your modded gear will still be lower than said higher lvl gear because of the fact that the armor rating is so low.

What am I missing here about that??

Edited by IHIavok

Well, if the mod gear is true as some are saying, where you can find the piece you like and mod it up...Then I don't see the reason for an A tab.

If it however is nothing like what people are saying, I'm still for an A tab. Simple as that.

EDIT: What I mean with the above is, people saying you can find any set as a mod set. If that part is true. Then yes I don't see a reason for an A tab.

Then again, doesn't matter how much you can mod gear if you can never mod it up to match high end gear, because you'll still need to switch out into said gear to get the best stats. And if that's the case, we'll all end up looking like raider man number 1000032 clone. So A tab would be good if this was the case.

Maybe it's because I'm low lvl, but so far any orange gear I've came across has a very low armor rating on it. Doesn't seem like you can up the armor on them, so in the end your modded gear will still be lower than said higher lvl gear because of the fact that the armor rating is so low.

What am I missing here about that??

There will be mods that can make your gear on par with end-game gear.

The mod system IS working as people describe it here. There was a LOOOOONG post by the devs about it before they wiped the forums.

There is NO need for an A-Tab. Everyone just want an "easy-lazy" mode A-Tab.

Yes, you need to work harder to get the precise look you desire.

If you don't like it, well.... GBTW

It's very hard to get a full optically matching set (!!!) of orange gear. There are only bits and pieces here and there. It's even harder to get the specific set you want. (I have yet to see my two favorite appearances as orange items - are they even out there?)

=> Appearance customization is very hard, to the point of (currently) not doable.

Bioware, please do something about that - it's really detrimental to my enjoyment of your game.

My suggestion:

Either give us an appearance tab (most obvious and most flexible solution) or give us the option to change every piece of armor we aquire into an orange piece of armor (this could be done by paying a npc or by a friendly player crafter).

Edited by Sarkhah

How is that worse than everyone in the same dungeon gear.

Apparently being a Darth Maul clone in a Star Wars game that features Darth Maul's race and class is the worst thing that can happen to this game. Better keep all characters running on piecemail gear :rolleyes:

Is there no end to these sppearance tab fanatics? How many of these threads you gonna make?

In case you haven't noticed:

• This forum is exploding duplicate threads all over the place
  • There are so many active threads all over the place all the threads keep getting pushed several pages back, sometimes seconds after someone last posted in them (no exageration, I've managed to post in this thread several times today, come back to check it less than one minute later, and its no longer on the first, or sometimes even the second page)
  • Lack of a "search" feature makes all of this even worth, since there's no way people can check for existing threads before making new ones (other than going through so many pages of different stuff--ever changing given the high volume of posters--its extremely difficult to find anything unless you already know existed because you've posted before)
  • You don't even get a marker to show which thread you've posted on, making it even more difficult to spot existing threads and not make new ones.

That being said, I've been trying to keep to just this thread for this topic all day long.

Edited by VisionStorm

For an MMO to be competitive and lasting, it needs to have all the little features that other MMOs have, all the things we have become comfortable with and love about our other games, so that people will make the transition from their old game and feel that they are making an improvement in their MMO life (it's like moving on to a better girlfriend to have a better love life lol.) If you look at the history of RPGs in general, even long before MMOs, they always seemed to learn from eachother and copy ideas from eachother, and that was great, because it made for an evolution of sorts.

I personally want to see TOR become the best MMO ever, but if it's going to stand a chance at that, it has to get with the program, they need to log into MMOs, research their content, and get great ideas from all of them to improve TOR so that it competes with every other MMO in every aspect. I don't want TOR to be another ok MMO where some things are awesome about it (and some are) but other things about it are surpassed by other MMOs, I was to see TOR grab all those things and add them in, so they're NOT surpassed in those features by any other game.

And lets face it really, many things should have been in place before launch, so many of these things experienced MMO players who were beta testing were screaming for two years, "Bioware, dude listen, your game is great and all, but I've played other MMOs and I know that these game totally HAVE to have X Y and Z". Appearance customization is one of the things near the top of that list for many RPG players... maybe not everyone, but I would say at least half the RPG playing community prefers having that feature. Your character just feels cooler when you feel that they look cool.

TL;DR: In order for an MMO to compete and be the best in the industry, it has to have all the the time-tested and player-loved features that other MMOs have, besides it's own unique ones. To retain players coming from other MMOs, people have be able to make the transition without feeling like they're missing so many of the things they've gotten used to in their old games. To be the leading MMO, the new MMO simply has to have it all. And wouldn't we all like this to become the best, leading RPG?

Would anyone buy a car with roll up windows these days when power windows come standard to every model?

Edited by AeonWeapon

Who the hell wants to be darth maul? Most boring Sith ever, just looks like a dude with a painted face for a devil halloween costume, or a member Kiss... well most characters from the prequels were pretty uninteresting

I think the game will benefit from a time sink rather than handing appearances on silver platter. More options the better, but you should earn it

People who preach that we have to "work" for every little thing, or who talk about "time sinks" are missing two very big points:

1. Grind is not fun, a game should not feel like work. Yes it should take effort to achieve power in the game, but when it comes to cosmetic stuff and roleplay elements, in a game that is story driven and meant to set an atmosphere and immerse players above ALL else, appearance customization should not be difficult, should not have to be "earned" or take "work".

2. Many of us don't have hours and hours to waste away doing tedious things in the game like grindy stuff, messing around with tweaking gear, or shouting for a team for 30 minutes. Many of us have jobs and responsibilities and can only free up maybe a couple hours in a day to relax and play the game, and we want to spend that time having as much fun as possible, we don't want that limited time to be wasted. A "time sink" is exactly that... a waste of my precious time.

Preach to me about "working" for things when you have to work 8 hours per day, 5 days per week, with an additional hour each way spent traveling to and from work, plus take evening night classes 4 days per week which come with reading and writing assignments, and try to spend enough time with your girlfriend that she doesn't forget you exist and dump you lol. Somehow, I doubt your life is so busy.

Edited by AeonWeapon

Who the hell wants to be darth maul? Most boring Sith ever... well most characters formt eh prequels were pretty uninteresting

People who preach that we have to "work" for every little thing are missing two very big points:

1. Grind is not fun, a game should not feel like work. Yes it should take effort to achieve power in the game, but when it comes to cosmetic stuff and roleplay elements, in a game that is story driven and meant to set an atmosphere and immerse players above ALL else, appearance customization should not be difficult or take "work".

2. Many of us don't have hours and hours to waste away doing tedious things in the game like grindy stuff, messing around with tweaking gear, or shouting for a team for 30 minutes. Many of us have jobs and responsibilities and can only free up maybe a couple hours in a day to relax and play the game, and we want to spend that time having as much fun as possible, we don't want that time to be wasted.

Preach to me about "working" for things when you have to work 8 hours per day, 5 days per week, with an additional hour each way spent traveling to and from work, plus take evening night classes 4 days per week which come with reading and writing assignments, and try to spend enough time with your girlfriend that she doesn't forget you exist and dump you lol. Somehow, I doubt your life is so busy.

fluff are going to require work in this game , live with it

When i was a little kid, my younger cousin used to play with her dolls, dress them up, virtually socialize with them and with each other and go on to epic adventures.

Im 33 now and im doing exactly what my little cousin use to do 25 years ago, but with male "avatars-dolls".

How is this normal?!?!

You don't lose anything if those of us who want this get it, so if it's not important to you, there's no point to the comments of those of you who feel like contradicting or attacking people who ask for this, except to be argumentative and troll people.

If you're for this, show support.

If you don't care about customization, there's no reason to even comment on it.

I don't think anyone actually has any good reason to be AGAINST the option. No one has presented one at least, they've just made "lol noob this is how it is deal with it derp" comments for the sake of being annoying.

When i was a little kid, my younger cousin used to play with her dolls, dress them up, virtually socialize with them and with each other and go on to epic adventures.

Im 33 now and im doing exactly what my little cousin use to do 25 years ago, but with male "avatars-dolls".

How is this normal?!?!

Lol, whatever troll.

Is it normal to sit in a chair playing video games or typing on forums? Shouldn't we be running around getting more exercise and hunting bison?

Is it not normal to have an imagination?

What an ignorant and narrow minded comment.

Besides, a large portion of the player base is roleplayers. I'm not one of them, I just like my character to look cool, it seems more realistic to me than having a robe that's red on top and blue on the bottom with a black hood... But you're forgetting a large portion of the player base, and this sort of thing matters ALOT to roleplayers.

And just because it's not something you care about, doesn't mean it's not important to others or that you should put anyone else down for it.

I bet you're the type of person who thinks like a high school student and won't be friends with someone because they have different interests than you.

Edited by AeonWeapon