The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Yeah, this game sure is losing people...

Lium

It's a shame if so many players are becoming such fragile snowflakes that they'd choose the option to leave rather than fixing the situation, but this has been legislated over and over again on these forums ad infinitum.

I just transferred to a more populated server back in March, and continued having a wonderful time with the game. Too bad more didn't choose the same alternative...

You didn't transfer, you re-rolled. Calling people fragile snowflakes for not doing the same as you might make you feel better about yourself, but it doesn't counter any of the points the person you quoted made. And in my opinion he's right, the low pop situation probably caused more people to leave than anything else. Having been there myself, I can completely understand why a person might come out of that thinking this game isn't worth the sub.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't transfer, you re-rolled. Calling people fragile snowflakes for not doing the same as you might make you feel better about yourself, but it doesn't counter any of the points the person you quoted made. And in my opinion he's right, the low pop situation probably caused more people to leave than anything else. Having been there myself, I can completely understand why a person might come out of that thinking this game isn't worth the sub.

It's the difference between a problem solver and a problem victim. Please don't suggest to me that someone put so much time and effort into a character in 3 months that they couldn't bring themselves to re-roll on a new server to improve their experience by tremendous amounts, unless they honestly only intended to ever play this game for 3-6 months total. Otherwise, the entire argument falls flat on its face.

For anyone who came to this game to play for many years, 3 months is nothing. NOTHING.

NOTHING.

For anyone who came to this game to play for many years, 3 months is nothing. NOTHING.

NOTHING.

Though in fairness, 3 months is about as long as a majority players play an MMO these days before announcing it boring, a failure, etc. etc. :p

Though in fairness, 3 months is about as long as a majority players play an MMO these days before announcing it boring, a failure, etc. etc. :p

Yep afraid so m8y, they just dnt realise that they were not made to play MMO's, sooner or later they will.

Sorry. I have to call you out once again as you are speaking for the SWTOR community. First and foremost, I think you will agree that you are making a huge generalization. You don't know why "most" people remain here. You have your opinion based on your biases but that is hardly quantifiable by any means. And let me add that for many of us, specifically in my guild, new leveling content is not the carrot. We have other goals and pass times that are very much in line with what this game has to offer especially for endgame.

EDIT: Removed paragraph that was just a little too salacious.

Call me out on my opinion? Is it not ok for me to have my own opinion and share what I think? Or is it only ok if it agrees with yours? Can I call you out on your opinion as well?

Most of the people left are the ones that like story and not much else? On my server there are around 500 people on fleet, and according to the "who window" the vast majority of them are lvl 50s. When I go to Belsavis I see 50 ppl, and most them are lvl 50s. When I go to Kass I see less than 100, and still that 100 has lvl 50s. It looks like most of the people left are the ones that enjoy playing with their 50s.

If you call sitting on a fleet all day enjoyable.... all the power to ya.

I think SWTOR will be around a very long time personally, so much money was invested in the game it'll keep on running for eons

It may keep running in maintanance mode... but its pretty pointless to keep playing one of those games. They dont get updates. Thats what will pretty much happen if F2P doesnt turn it around for BW

It's the difference between a problem solver and a problem victim. Please don't suggest to me that someone put so much time and effort into a character in 3 months that they couldn't bring themselves to re-roll on a new server to improve their experience by tremendous amounts, unless they honestly only intended to ever play this game for 3-6 months total. Otherwise, the entire argument falls flat on its face.

NOTHING.

Re-rolling is a purely logical response. Getting frustrated and un-subbing is primarily an emotional response. In my experience, people will respond with their emotions more often than not. Expecting otherwise is great fuel for righteous indignation and might even help you get laid in an Ayn Rand booster club or something, but that's about it.

Re-rolling is a purely logical response. Getting frustrated and un-subbing is primarily an emotional response. In my experience, people will respond with their emotions more often than not. Expecting otherwise is great fuel for righteous indignation and might even help you get laid in an Ayn Rand booster club or something, but that's about it.

Funny, I find that re-rolling, YET AGAIN, is a symptom of OCD. Unsubbing after all this lack of content and communication, is a purely logical response.

I am currently still on the OCD side it seems... but am getting really, really close to the logical response and just unsubbing from this mess. :)

Funny, I find that re-rolling, YET AGAIN, is a symptom of OCD. Unsubbing after all this lack of content and communication, is a purely logical response.

I am currently still on the OCD side it seems... but am getting really, really close to the logical response and just unsubbing from this mess. :)

When I say re-roll I'm referring specifically to re-rolling on a new server after your original server dies. But of course YMMV.

I hate to say it, but game population really fell off a cliff this week. I don't know if its due to GW2, or back to school, or a combination of both... but numbers are waaaay down after being basically stable for months after mergers.

It's 9 PM, and there are only 163 on Republic fleet (only one instance), on the Harbinger. I don't remember the last time we didn't have 2 fleet instances during prime evening hours.

I'm getting really pessimistic, again. I don't really care how the world at large feels about the game... only whether *I* am enjoying it. But obviously there's critical mass needed for the game to survive. I wonder if we can even make it to f2p without another round of mergers, at this point.

When I say re-roll I'm referring specifically to re-rolling on a new server after your original server dies. But of course YMMV.

ah ok, but I think the OCD comment still works, be it re-rolling another alt or re-rolling on another server (yet again). But yes too, I see YMMV. Hey, I learned a new accronym today, I had to Google that one :)

Oh, and any long time MMO player, me included, I believe has a diagnosable level of OCD. Seems to go with the territory.

People have different standards and expectations. It is a purely logical response to unsub if one's expectations and standards are not met. It is not logical to believe that everyone else's standards should match your own, and thus judge them as irrational when they do not conform to the behavior pattern your standards would dictate.

I don't know about dying but it sure has taken a turn for the worse. I couldnt get into a EV SM last week and I'm lucky if I can get a FP HM on a daily basis. PvP Q pops are taking a long time non-prime time and sometimes don't pop at all at hours when I, even on my old server, used to be able to play.

To make things worse I'm currently on a faction/server where people don't seem to like to play with non-guildies so I would really like those paid transfers. I'm on another server where I constantly see "lf2m for EC" etc, don't think I've ever seen that on my main legacy server. I bought a new month two days ago but I'm not sure for how long I will endure. My characters on other servers are fresh so I don't want to give up on my main legacy and pretty much start over. Paid transfers can't come soon enough, assuming that they will include transfers from one region to another. If I wont be able to transfer from EST to EU I will just drop the game. I initially rolled EST due to my work schedule, incase someone needs to know why I didnt rolll EU from the start,

Edited by MidichIorian

I hate to say it, but game population really fell off a cliff this week. I don't know if its due to GW2, or back to school, or a combination of both... but numbers are waaaay down after being basically stable for months after mergers.

It's 9 PM, and there are only 163 on Republic fleet (only one instance), on the Harbinger. I don't remember the last time we didn't have 2 fleet instances during prime evening hours.

I'm getting really pessimistic, again. I don't really care how the world at large feels about the game... only whether *I* am enjoying it. But obviously there's critical mass needed for the game to survive. I wonder if we can even make it to f2p without another round of mergers, at this point.

I know what you seeing. Each day evenings high populated pve servers had 2 fleet instances while now its 1 and getting lower each day.

I have closely looking the population trend myself and some people claiming school is reason. I doubt it. Seeing how many playing GW2 and now the Pandas. I think its everything added up together that is causing this. Im sure Bioware knows this as well, we can debate how much we want but truth is it has affected and a lot.

Question is can servers stay with normal population (reasonable queue pops for group content pve and pvp) before F2P arrives. If the group content have big wait times it causes unhappiness even futher - its called snowball effect that happened before merges.

People are trying to come up with excuses such as "school" etc. Here's the thing though, people attending school is normal, meaning that we're currently experiencing what the normal populations will be. You think what we have now is "good enough"? I don't since I don't want tohave to rely on a guild/ the same seven people every week to be able to play a good deal of the end-game content. I would definitely not play for single player end-game content aka running dailies. The direction this is going there won't be any need for subs because we won't have enough people online to play the things the f2p'ers arent allowed to play anyway.

And I just waited an hour for a pvp pop. Yes, it was 4 AM but I've never had to wait that long before. Not even before transfers.

Edited by MidichIorian

I have found next to no decline in server activity despite all this BS about GW2 taking over the playerbase.

Yep, GW2 is a great game but a whole other beast compared to SWTOR. They will coexist. I manage about 2 hours tops on GW and then log back to TOR to calm my nerves and rest weary eyes and ears.

Also, I could really not care less about the server population... as long as I can find 3 others to play with me through H4's the game is great, and I can. And to get together 8 good players for an EC or KP run is not problem either. 16 for World bosses might take a few minutes more but is completely doable.

I play on The Progenitor btw...

The thing is if you look at games like LOTRO (even Everquest 1 had such views come to think of it), they have zones designed to look great as well as play well.

SWTOR seems to have missed some of that out somewhere, I very rarely have found a vista that I really through "wow" about in SWTOR, where as normally there's a few in every MMORPG (and ones like LOTRO more than a few).

Totally agree here.. but there are sometimes those hidden gems that you really don't notice untill you pan your camera to look at something at a certain angle and you will be wowed.

Like, for example, the view of House Organa from the fields south of it.. really stunningly beautiful. But in no way are you motivated to look at it that way.

The major problem here really is that the worlds were designed as the backdrop for gameplay and story, and not as a possibly real world where the story happens in. It is all streamlined towards the gameplay.

And this is, I admit, a loss for SWTOR. As they have so much diversity in the possibility of planets.. making them a gem to look at and making exploring views something worth doing would have added a level of depth to the game.

Since I got back to the game and moved from Bloodworthy EU (Locked) to Red Eclipse EU there has been around 200+ players on every planet. I think at one point there was 400 on Tython and Coruscant. The number gradually decreased the closer I get to 50 of course but that's understandable. I have no problem with FP queues, get matched up almost immediately.

Sometimes, though, I log on to my main which is still on Bloodworthy, and pretend that I am the emperor since I am, without a doubt in my mind, the best player there.

Since I got back to the game and moved from Bloodworthy EU (Locked) to Red Eclipse EU there has been around 200+ players on every planet. I think at one point there was 400 on Tython and Coruscant. The number gradually decreased the closer I get to 50 of course but that's understandable. I have no problem with FP queues, get matched up almost immediately.

Im sorry but i disagree with this about Red Eclipse. There is NOT 200+ each planet. Exception is when there was event and alot people were on Nar Shadda back then. Last week it has been really bad to get gr's for FP's in the busiest evening time frame (lvl 50). Couple weeks ago there were every day 2 instances on fleet now its almost half less people and FP pops are now really long (this experience is from doing dailys with 3 chars every days since group finder tool came). Some classes get instant pop but thats not the point here, as it was same just after 1.3 aswell.

Edited by Divona

Sigh... SWTOR atm have between 500k-1m :eek:

And by the end of year it will have more than 1.5m-2m, while GW2 will never get out from the 500k-1m active players.

Ummm, yeah, but not gonna happen.

First, most of the people who wanted to play SWTOR have already come and gone. BioWare/EA really believe their own spin when they think that the sub model was the problem and magically, with F2P, a lot of those that left will come back and that a ton more players will try the game.

Second, GW2 already has almost 3M - they have temporarily stopped selling the game it has become so popular. Also, GW1 had 7M players and maintained a healthy population all the way up to the release of GW2.

Edited by Wayshuba

On the fatman, at around 10PM server time last night it got down into the 70's on fleet. warzone pops are starting to take longer and longer, and often times, warzones don't fill up. Its starting to feel oddly similar to april / may.

I have to agree, but keep in mind that a lot of people wanted to try out the new shiny toy (Guild Wars 2).... I'm sure some people will stay with GW2 but some will also come back after trying it out...

I played GW2 for several days but I didn't really like it.. it's not a bad game but it's not a great game either... it definitely didn't live up to the hype....

Second, GW2 already has almost 3M - they have temporarily stopped selling the game it has become so popular. Also, GW1 had 7M players and maintained a healthy population all the way up to the release of GW2.

Where do you get this information? The only news we have is GW2 pre-sold 1 million copies and that was posted by several news agencies two days ago.. So your telling me in 2 days they sold 2 million more copies?

BTW, you can still buy the game at Amazon and other retailers, Areanet probably had a deal with the retailers that they would only sell so many copies on their website....

Edited by Monoth

they have more then double then EVE has

The population has been holding steady since the server mergers

..... so... no

open your eyes to more than just your server, only a matter of time before the effect trickles down to your server. sad but true dont get mad cause people with half a brain realize this game is losing ppl little by little. f2p is just a band aid on a sinking ship

Where do you get this information? The only news we have is GW2 pre-sold 1 million copies and that was posted by several news agencies two days ago.. So your telling me in 2 days they sold 2 million more copies?

BTW, you can still buy the game at Amazon and other retailers, Areanet probably had a deal with the retailers that they would only sell so many copies on their website....

No, the news was 1.5M "pre-purchases" and 1M "pre-orders" as reported by ArenaNet. They also have temporarily stopped selling the digital version because of how many copies have sold (though you can still get them from retailers).

They also mentioned recently (on Aug. 30) how they have banned 4,000 accounts already and that it represented 0.01% of the customer base. That equates to 4 million players if that is the case.