An SWTOR pvp fan in an age of gw2?

Draksen

Hi there

I've always been a SWTOR fan. I like the game, no explanation to be given here.

I'll always be and I believe in its future and in the f2p option. That's not the point.

I'm a pvp player, have always been a pvp player, even in the most pve games out here hehe

The fact is that tomorrow a game called gw2 will be released, with a heavy pvp emphasis.

I'm not a blind fanboy: gw2 is going to bring very nice and innovative gameplay options.

I wonder what SWTOR is able to bring us in term of pvp, and what SWTOR is able to offer us, pvp players, which would prevent us from moving to another mmo pvp game?

Real and genuine question here. No hatred, no blind fanboyism, objectivity please.

Thanks in advance for your comments and replies.

Edited by Draksen

Here is where I hit my problem.

I haven't truly enjoyed PvP in an MMO since DAoC. After playing GW2 beta I had that same feeling I used to get during open world PvP ... something this game doesn't even come close to.

Now i'm not leaving this for GW2 because, fortunately, GW2 doesn't have a sub so I can play both and Secret World without my wife wondering why i'm forking out for 3 games at once.

The main difference is GW put a lot into it's PvP and GW1 was quite well known for it. SWTOR was never going to be a PvP game so a lot of us long term PvPers knew we weren't going to get what we wanted in that regard.

The PvP here is fun and a decent distraction from questing/flashpoints/ops but it's too small scale for my liking (as i've said before) I like bigger fights with more going on. I get really bored with small scale scuffles if I do them too many times.

SWTOR will never be able to match what ArenaNet has done PVP-wise. At most , expect to see new warzones (there's one coming out "soon"), and updated class balance. I doubt there will be world pvp because the engine simply is unable to handle it.

We'll have to see how good the pvp is. No healing classes and much less cc are the reasons I bought my copy of the game. But how good can it be without lightsabers? Also I sortof like the skill requirement for exceling with some of the classes in SWTOR (like sentinels/guardians). And I'm dubious about GW2's balance where SWTOR's is actually pretty good at the moment.

I see, nice inputs here, thanks.

I think BW can add nice and large scale pvp to the game, not in a whole like in gw2, but at least on a whole planet, it's doable. Will they do it? I doubt it.

A shame.

Something gw will never have: the franchise, starwars, it's awesome. Period.

SWTOR is also great.

But the pvp part of it, if we only look at that aspect of the game, is seriously lacking a big scale thingy.

Someone not as much addict to his trooper and jedis would be more than tempted to go for Charrs and other Asuras.

The thing is that, with what we have now, why blame him?

Edited by Draksen

SWTOR will never be able to match what ArenaNet has done PVP-wise. At most , expect to see new warzones (there's one coming out "soon"), and updated class balance. I doubt there will be world pvp because the engine simply is unable to handle it.

Class balance as in sages and sorcerers get pvp survivabilty? They need to fix that and the face rolling new 50's get in recruit gear. Pvp in this game at 50 is terrible.

I see, nice input here, thanks.

I think BW can add nice and large scale pvp to the game, not in a whole like in gw2, but at least on a whole planet, it's doable. Will they do it? I doubt it.

A shame.

Something gw will never have: the franchise, starwars, it's awesome. Period.

SWTOR is also great.

But the pvp part of it, if we only look at that aspect of the game, is seriously lacking a big scale thingy.

Someone not as much addict to his trooper and jedis would be more than tempted to go for Charrs and other Asuras.

The thing is that, with what we have now, why blame him?

The engine for this game can't handle real pvp.

I haven't truly enjoyed PvP in an MMO since DAoC.

When Warhammer was released I felt it was delivering a good large scale pvp experience, but it looks like the endgame was just a mess, many people said that Tier 1 and Tier 2 were much more fun than Tier 4.

SWTOR will never be able to match what ArenaNet has done PVP-wise. At most , expect to see new warzones (there's one coming out "soon"),

I at least when it comes to Warzone design I think they are of super high quality and a lot of variety as well, all the warzones are pretty different and the new one that's coming up is also pretty unique.

Many people told me that GW2 is PVP oriented while SWTOR is PVE oriented, so they are very different games I think they can share the same space without overlapping too much.

Edited by ChazDoit

Sadly, I dont have the experience of PvPing in other games. I always heard about the griefing, corpse camping, etc. So I avoided it like the plague. I tried PvP here in SW:TOR to get some of the blue gear at level 20. I ended up getting addicted to PvP and that competitive mindset (no surprise as I could watch youtube videos of high level Street Fighter players for hours >.>).

But in regards to your topic, I just dont see it in SW:TOR. You can play warzones until your eyes bleed, but thats all you'll be doing. Ancient Hypergate looks nice, it sounds fun, but eventually I'll probably get tired of running it like the rest. There's nothing to break up the monotony of warzone after warzone after warzone. I watched the video of Jeff Hickmans interview. When Ilum was brought up he tried to quickly change the subject. He finally answered questions the second time it was brought up, but he said they have a small team working on Ilum, and it's not one of their top priorities.

Even though it was annoying at 15FPS, using Force Pull to drag the rebel scum healers into the middle of a group of Imps, and then killing their healers one by one until the rest of the rebel faction had no choice but to run away like cowards, it was fun. It was awesome watching the tide of battle change as we were getting pushed down the hill, only to play strategically and destroy the pubs in the end. Sadly, I dont think it will make a come back anytime soon, if at all because this engine just simply cant handle it.

That combined with GW2's no gear grind horizontal progression system, and having X Server PvP at launch, plus hot join and 5vs5 tournaments, I sadly dont see much of a reason to stay around myself. I might come back when GW2 bores me, as I still have a few friends that are sticking with TOR, but most of my guildies are going to GW2 as well...

If it was overall better done here(like, less CC for example...), and the engine was capable of handling huge epic battles on Ilum, I imagine I'd still be staying around. I've enjoyed the game (except for the bugs and the lag since server merge... also I did fall in with a great group of guildies), I'm not a huge fan but I do love SW, and nothing is more epic than huge battles of Sith vs Jedi goody two-shoes. :(

Edited by Katsuragisama

When Warhammer was released I felt it was delivering a good large scale pvp experience, but it looks like the endgame was just a mess, many people said that Tier 1 and Tier 2 were much more fun than Tier 4.

I at least when it comes to Warzone design I think they are of super high quality and a lot of variety as well, all the warzones are pretty different and the new one that's coming up is also pretty unique.

Many people told me that GW2 is PVP oriented while SWTOR is PVE oriented, so they are very different games I think they can share the same space without overlapping too much.

I don't think GW2 is pvp oriented. Sure, it has a brilliantly designed pvp system, but they have also created an incredibly vast pve experience, and you'd be doing yourself a disservice in ignoring it.

I don't think GW2 is pvp oriented. Sure, it has a brilliantly designed pvp system, but they have also created an incredibly vast pve experience, and you'd be doing yourself a disservice in ignoring it.

^This. People will go for PvP as well because there is no gear grind. As this also bleeds into the PvE, I figure I'll play more dungeons in GW2 as I wont have to grind for tier 1 to grind for tier 2. I'll like to just enjoy the game content without having to make it my second job... That is as long as the PvE dungeons in GW2 arent buggy as crap. Because that left me a bad enough taste in my mouth here. So I avoided it unless someone really needed me to fill a slot for them. :(

I will simply tell the OP to look at the people who reply and check out the signature from the poster luckily this game all the cry babies are quick to post the tears in their signatures. something ive come to love reading while i flip by all these forum posts.

By doing this you will see the difference between people who really PVP / Adapt / Explore / Overcome vs. those who just move on with their grass is greener complex. -Parasitism. :D

Class balance as in sages and sorcerers get pvp survivabilty? They need to fix that and the face rolling new 50's get in recruit gear. Pvp in this game at 50 is terrible.

Sages and sorcs are fins in pvp. In this games current build a balance/madness sage/sorc is probably has the highest potential dps of any class.

The problem is that most people who play sorc just dont have any idea what they are doing.

I love the classes in SWTor, I love my scoundrel. However, the engine is terrible and the PvP-content is bad. We got ONE! Warzone in 9 months. It would be okay if the PvP-content would fun and good. But it isn't, the PvP content is terrible.

I'm just sitting here speechless and i'm thinking: "Yes, that's it. Bioware did INDEED nothing to counter GW2. No announcement about Ilum, arena or something innovative. No surprise balancepatch, no surprise tournament in outlaw's den. This is really it. Bioware did nothing. "

Edited by Fyda

I love the classes in SWTor, I love my scoundrel. However, the engine is terrible and the PvP-content is bad. We got ONE! Warzone in 9 months. It would be okay if the PvP-content would fun and good. But it isn't, the PvP content is terrible.

I'm just sitting here speechless and i'm thinking: "Yes, that's it. Bioware did INDEED nothing to counter GW2. No announcement about Ilum, arena or something innovative. No surprise balancepatch, no surprise tournament in outlaw's den. This is really it. Bioware did nothing. "

They are doing one thing... collecting money. THAT is the one thing that seems to take priority.

Hi there

I've always been a SWTOR fan. I like the game, no explanation to be given here.

I'll always be and I believe in its future and in the f2p option. That's not the point.

I'm a pvp player, have always been a pvp player, even in the most pve games out here hehe

The fact is that tomorrow a game called gw2 will be released, with a heavy pvp emphasis.

I'm not a blind fanboy: gw2 is going to bring very nice and innovative gameplay options.

I wonder what SWTOR is able to bring us in term of pvp, and what SWTOR is able to offer us, pvp players, which would prevent us from moving to another mmo pvp game?

Real and genuine question here. No hatred, no blind fanboyism, objectivity please.

Thanks in advance for your comments and replies.

I completely agree, but you have to consider the age of SWTOR MMO compared to the other MMOS that's been there for years. SWTOR is completely new and has innovative potential. While others at just dead in their tracks with low risk high end income. GW2 seems to set the standard for new generation MMO's while others only care about you subs.

Hense why SWTOR seems to respect me as a customer, like DCUO, they care about my loyalty to their game with subs to support them, other MMO's don't care and will want you to pay them extra for expansion content and vanity items you should get because you loyal to them.

Its why I left them, I was a wallet number to them, bioware seems to understand that and adapt to it. Here's to hoping all games follow that goal.