Wait a Sec? $14.99?

Treii

OK so why if they knew they were going to drop the price in days didn't the Origin Store let buyers know of the upcoming price drop?

New buyers paying $19.95 are getting bonuses that folks like me who paid 39.95 just days ago aren't getting. F2P is one thing but charging new subscribers full price when you know a price drop is coming just doesn't seem ethical! :mad:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can pick up a copy of the Collector's Edition from retail stores for about $30, when most of us payed around $150 for it at launch.

... its kinda what happens after a game has been around for a while. It's also what happens when a price drop occurs.

Edited by Drakalu

OK so why if they knew they were going to drop the price in days didn't the Origin Store let buyers know of the upcoming price drop?

New buyers paying $19.95 are getting bonuses that folks like me who paid 39.95 just days ago aren't getting. F2P is one thing but charging new subscribers full price when you know a price drop is coming just doesn't seem ethical! :mad:

It isn't their responsibility. Consumers should be more aware and it is a burden on companies to go out of their way to say "wait, dont buy our product yet." You gotta think about it from the other side.

You can pick up a copy of the Collector's Edition from retail stores for about $30, when most of us payed around $150 for it at launch.

... its kinda what happens after a game has been around for a while. It's also what happens when a price drop occurs.

Yeah, I'm kinda pissed about that as I bought 2 of them at launch. I should learn my lesson really, I also bought a lifetime sub to STO when it launched :D

Pssst

It's going to be Free really soon.

I agree.

Just read an article about how the number of subscribers is under a million, which is bad news since the game has not even been out for a year. Shortly after releasing this information, Bioware announced a free to play option.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/5qTxkR/www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-31-star-wars-the-old-republic-goes-free-to-play-up-to-level-50-with-reservations

Edited by cool-dude

Its EA, they are cash grabbing try to recoup money after the games dismal failure. Ofc they are not going to tell you. It makes good business sense!

ahhh reminds me when I bought Rift for 49.99 and the next day it was on sale for 9.99 :)

Ouch... Just... Yeah, ouch...

Its EA, they are cash grabbing try to recoup money after the games dismal failure. Ofc they are not going to tell you. It makes good business sense!

QFT.

Edited by Katsuragisama

Because its not Steam, its Origin? :p

BW told us it was dropping the moment they released the F2P information, it was in the FAQ they put out on the same day. What company in their right mind would outright tell someone about to make a purchase "Hey don't buy this, it will cost half as much tomorrow, and we don't like making money"?

Actually usually the collectors editions go up in price by 8 months after release (and keep on rising) as they get rarer and rarer to buy.

Collectors Editions for MMORPGs very rarely drop in price after launch (unless a game totally bombs).

However as the F2P is basically making the orginal CE basically worthless, shops are clearing it out ASAP, before they are stuck with them.

Actually usually the collectors editions go up in price by 8 months after release (and keep on rising) as they get rarer and rarer to buy.

Collectors Editions for MMORPGs very rarely drop in price after launch (unless a game totally bombs).

However as the F2P is basically making the orginal CE basically worthless, shops are clearing it out ASAP, before they are stuck with them.

Yeh, exactly, that's why some of the CE prices I've encountered in stores for MMO's were along the lines of the following WoW TBC CE 20 Eur, WoW Cataclysm CE 39.99 Eur, LOTRO CE 1.95 Eur.

The only CE I've actually seen raise in price is the original WoW CE, and that's only due to the fact that limited quantity was actually limited. Not roughly 1 million boxes sent out with limited interest due to a high price :p. All others, I've been seeing drop in price in the stores as they couldn't get rid of it.

Yeh, exactly, that's why some of the CE prices I've encountered in stores for MMO's were along the lines of the following WoW TBC CE 20 Eur, WoW Cataclysm CE 39.99 Eur, LOTRO CE 1.95 Eur.

The only CE I've actually seen raise in price is the original WoW CE, and that's only due to the fact that limited quantity was actually limited. Not roughly 1 million boxes sent out with limited interest due to a high price :p. All others, I've been seeing drop in price in the stores as they couldn't get rid of it.

Last I saw of a Warhammer Online CE it was over $300. :)

LOTRO CE = £199 not " €1.95 Eur". :confused: (are you sure it wasn't €195.00?)

I've no idea where you're getting your figures from.

Edited by Goretzu

I agree.

Just read an article about how the number of subscribers is under a million, which is bad news since the game has not even been out for a year. Shortly after releasing this information, Bioware announced a free to play option.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/5qTxkR/www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-31-star-wars-the-old-republic-goes-free-to-play-up-to-level-50-with-reservations

Misinformation. The game is not going free to play. That option is being added. Subscriptions will still exist. Further, the FTP option has been in the works for some time now. It is in no way the result of recent numbers. It would have happened either way and was based on market trends and future projections for the genre.

The days of sub based MMO's is over, or will be shortly. They are just ahead of the curve.

Edited by Blackardin

This is not correct. It is not a matter of time, but of development. Eight months or eight years means nothing. Since way back in UO, all prices of vanilla packages across the board go down once new options are available whether they be a free to play option or a new expansion.

Arguing differently is just game bashing.

Edited by Blackardin

jeebers, more misinformation for the sake of game bashing.

The game is not a failure, and it is not the boogie man that some make it out to be. It is a true MMORPG in the land of instant gratification, spoon fed gamers. It simply does not appeal to the types that desire story as a secondary aspect to end game raiding of the "challenging" nature and spoon fed "fun".

For those of us that enjoy true MMORPGs, it is a great game. For those needing content after content, unable to develop their own fun, join a guild, meet and enjoy the game with new people, it has no appeal. Those types tend to believe that the sun of gaming rises and falls upon them and therefore, because they do not enjoy it, assume everyone agrees with them and declare it a bomb.

The only thing that puzzles me is why some of them continue to hang around just to bash the game. Seems that common sense would dictate that if one no longer enjoys something they would cease paying for it and move on to something they did enjoy.

I hate to break to you, but price drops occur all time and you will continue to buy an item at near full retail price only to have the item drop in price shortly after. It happens buying computer parts. It happens buying games or movies. It happens all time. Now had you bought the game when information was available about the price drop, well that's your problem for not doing enough research. As for BW, EA, Blizzard, or what ever company informing their customers about a future price drop that's not going to happen. Why would corporations want to make less money? That how world functions.

Last I saw of a Warhammer Online CE it was over $300. :)

LOTRO CE = £199 not " €1.95 Eur". :confused: (are you sure it wasn't €195.00?)

I've no idea where you're getting your figures from.

Just looked it up. You can get a copy of Warhammer CE for as low as 9.99. If you look back to older sales that are still up you can see it as high as 49.99. I'm sure there is someone out there trying to sell one for 300, but there are also people trying to sell Desh for 10k each. ;p

Yeah, I'm kinda pissed about that as I bought 2 of them at launch. I should learn my lesson really, I also bought a lifetime sub to STO when it launched :D

Ha! Me too! We obviously know how to invest our money wisely.

On topic, it happens. You don't get shops telling customers not to buy something due to a reduction coming up. It's not unethical, it's the way it works.

You would think they would inform as they did with the F2P lol I think the monthly charge should be whats dropped down to even digits. 10 bucks a month or 30 bucks for 3 months 60 for 6 months and so on...with F2P coming on there will be no shortage of people playing and that would make this game complete 15 bucks a month is stretching when u have other bills like internet and other services etc. Its getting pretty pricey to play on line and I think the Consoles have one that war on gaming.

Bioware drop the monthly price even to 11.99 big factors guys

This is not correct. It is not a matter of time, but of development. Eight months or eight years means nothing. Since way back in UO, all prices of vanilla packages across the board go down once new options are available whether they be a free to play option or a new expansion.

Arguing differently is just game bashing.

Not "vanilla packages", I'm talking about Collectors Editions. :)

So we're not arguing, you're just talking about something else entirely. ;)