Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Interesting interview with Peter Moore

Senden

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000106278&play=1

Personally think he handled it fairly well up until he goes something along the lines of "40% of players cancelling their subscription said if the game went f2p, they'd play it, play it every single day"

Guess some of the facts need to be embellished to save some blushes. Still it seems CNBC done more homework on the whole fiasco than EA themselves. Listening to Peter Moore (one of the few EA execs I actually respect) it seems fairly obvious that they're still fairly clueless as to how to save the "tortanic"

Edited by Senden

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes me wonder if they're just lying or if they actually believe the BS about 40% of the quitters quitting over the sub.

I think that this might be true that 40% said that... which don't mean that they are going to pay anything when they return. Looks like going F2P is the trend these days (actually, I wonder why SWTOR was not from the start buy to play, which I also consider a F2P model), still I am a little worried how EA and BioWare will set up that cartel shop and if it might be pay to win.

Maybe 40% said something like that. I just hope that they have considered that:

- Some people selected whatever because when quitting they didnt care.

- Some people lied, for fun or whatever

- Some people meant that if everything is free, they might be interested, not the same f2p they are going to offer

- and so on...

I think that this might be true that 40% said that... which don't mean that they are going to pay anything when they return. Looks like going F2P is the trend these days (actually, I wonder why SWTOR was not from the start buy to play, which I also consider a F2P model), still I am a little worried how EA and BioWare will set up that cartel shop and if it might be pay to win.

I think it was planned since the beginning, they made a subscription model just to sell the game at a high price

Personally think he handled it fairly well up until he goes something along the lines of "40% of players cancelling their subscription said if the game went f2p, they'd play it, play it every single day"

Guess some of the facts need to be embellished to save some blushes. Still it seems CNBC done more homework on the whole fiasco than EA themselves. Listening to Peter Moore (one of the few EA execs I actually respect) it seems fairly obvious that they're still fairly clueless as to how to save the "tortanic"

Over 50% of my friends that quit said that. What's your point?

EA just does not get it. They quit because the game is not worth 15$, and if it's not even worth that much what makes them think that people will return and spend money in the cash shop.

The message is "Your game is so bad that I do not want to pay for it, but even if it was free I would not play it because it is NOT FUN".

Look at Lotro and DDO, f2p was successful there becauase they had good core games. In the case of these games the need for a CC and a $15 sub was indeed a hurdle since many did not know what to expect from 2 titles which are niche games. And then people tried it for free, saw it was good and started paying money.

With Swtor everyone rushed out and bought a box on release day, people did not need convincing to try the game because it was Star Wars+Bioware+Kotor. And then the disappointment set in when many realized that it was a 2004 WoW clone without any Star Wars feel and fluff.

Edited by HammersteinSW

I think it was planned since the beginning, they made a subscription model just to sell the game at a high price

I don't think so, but I generally don't believe in any kind of conspiration theories...

The game is pretty bad prepared to easily fit in a cash shop. Basically, they could have waited with all their legacy stuff to make them things you have to pay for with real money. They talked about how inferior the F2P model is. They probably did not expected to have to fire that many people. I am pretty sure that they planed on beating WoW with subscription numbers, and that just didn't worked. It's BioWare's first MMO, and they learned many hard lessons in the last few months, so I don't think they had anything thought through when they launched.

I don't think so, but I generally don't believe in any kind of conspiration theories...

The game is pretty bad prepared to easily fit in a cash shop. Basically, they could have waited with all their legacy stuff to make them things you have to pay for with real money.

That's why it costs a boatload of credits to unlock stuff.

Even though they previously said that you could unlock mostly everything just by getting your Legacy level up,

First off lets be real honest here I firmly believe there is no one that said if this game was ftp I would play it everyday and I would be shocked if 5% of the people who quit stated they quit due to a sub. ofc there is no proof and they could muck their closing surveys to show this and couldnt be disputed anyway

But I filled out their little survey and I can tell you lack of balance, lack of content, lack of communication were in there. This game is going ftp and I will not play any day ever again

Just bs

Edited by mangarrage

i just wonder if those 40% would still play if it was free or if it was f2p. Those people who stopped their subs and said they would still play if it was free, my guess is that was if all content were free.

Does OP really expect the CFO of a major corporation to go on a national business TV channel and say "we really screwed the pooch here." ?

I don't. I think it just failed to live up to expectations. Look at TSW...sub + pretty large cash shop at launch. They clearly plan on going to F2P at some point.

Notice how the story gradually changes? First it was "40% of those who quit said it was due to the subscription and MANY of those said they'd come back if it was free to play." Now it is "40% of those who quit said it was due to the subscription and would play the game every day if it was free."

Of the roughly 30 people that I helped bring into the game (not trying to make myself look important, just stating some facts here), only 5 still play the game and only two do so in what I'd call an enthusiastic manner. None of those in that group of 30 quit due to the subscription. The subscription and news of f2p certainly have nothing to do with the haitus I'm currently on (I have to take these breaks from MMO's once in a while). Now, granted, my group of 30 is a small sample and therefore not necessarily representative of the SWTOR population (in fact, I'm very open minded to it being an anomolous minority). With that said though, when dev and executive stories keep changing, people do tend to trust what they're seeing with their own eyes more than other sources...

How is it the game designers/managers' fault if 40% of those cancelling said they were cancelling because it cost too much to play, and that if it was free they'd play it?

What do you all know about the responses the game admins get when users quit?

Answer: You know nothing.

They have the actual records. You have your imagination, some anecdotal evidence, and little else.

How is it the game designers/managers' fault if 40% of those cancelling said they were cancelling because it cost too much to play, and that if it was free they'd play it?

What do you all know about the responses the game admins get when users quit?

Answer: You know nothing.

They have the actual records. You have your imagination, some anecdotal evidence, and little else.

When the story keeps changing, that makes the B.S. meter hit the red zone. When you combine that with the fact that the true numbers are kept close to the vest, with only vague exceptions, then yes, people are going to trust what they see with their own eyes and what their trusted friends have to say over any other source. Call it stupid, call it anecdotal, call it what you will. It is what it is.

And remember, the first message was "40% quit due to the sub. MANY of them (vague reference with no meaning really) said they'd play if it was free". It was not "40% cancelled due to sub and would return if it's free". That's just one of many examples of stories changing. Bottom line, you're right, thanks to info being kept underwraps (which I understand) the haters, fanboys and others like me who like the game but are not optimistic about its future really don't know much. So we're left to speculate based upon our own observations and argue with those who have had different experiences/levels of wishful thinking.

Its very very foolish to think that 40% of people that couldn't be bothered to pay 15 bucks would pay to buy fluff, it will just change the reason that people aren't playing from costs too much to nothing to do. There sure isn't anything new for all those 40% of people who would play play every day if it was free.

He looked kind of sad. As much as many of us are not too happy with things as they are, I don't think the folks over at Bioware or EA are having that great of a time either.

Of course he has to answer things relating to this.

Edited by shinobiflip

They keep throwing 40% around, but in actuality as many as 70% have quit since January, so they should be worrying about a possible exodus of 1.2 million subscribers than repeating a percentage of that percentage to make us feel like F2P is choice rather than a final grasp at life.

But you know how, right? Your vast experience in clicking on a video game has educated you in both finance and game design, right?

You play a video game. That is the extent of your expertise there chief. LOL

EA.

Where charades are the most common form of answering real problems.

It's very clear from this video that Microtransactions WILL be coming to SWTOR.

Edited by Tiaa

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.