The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Yesterday's interview with Jeff Hickman - lots of answers

Cenyala

We are ALL screwed, because there is the potential of being asked to PAY for each new patch, Premium, OR Fremium. Because THEY will decide which is "new content" and what is "performance patch". Because this is just the PR sales pitch, not the real thing.

And I simply don`t trust NEITHER of EA and Bioware with anything. Especially promises.

[EDIT]because, in their own words, Premium players will get access to all new content. Fine and dandy, but why do they need Cartel Coins, then?

Because the Vanity Stuff are still going to be bought with Cartell Credits?

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope F2P players who buy coins can post in the forums, and buy unlimited access via adventure packs to operations and flashpoints.

If that much is guaranteed, then I probably will migrate to F2P.

I hope its pay to win, then maybe it would be easier to understand how to get better lev 50 gear than it is with the complicated bogged down 18 different ways to pay vendors they have now!

Jeff Hickman is like a Bull in a China shop.

All the shop is destroyed, but the insurance returns look great.

Shop out of business but investors are happy.

Free to Play is the same thing, ruins the game for paying customers but short term makes lots of cash.

Hey deny this is right!

Guess what Jeff Hickman is Two for Two on killing MMO's. That is pretty impressive in my book

Guess what Jeff Hickman is Two for Two on killing MMO's. That is pretty impressive in my book

Yup, that is the worst thing about this whole mess. Realizing that somehow with a track record of massive failure this guy still has a job in video games.

Yup, that is the worst thing about this whole mess. Realizing that somehow with a track record of massive failure this guy still has a job in video games.

All one can do is write names down and never play a game that has them involved in.

What a load of crap. The really big content sounds like it isn't a priority and that the only way the are going to release content every six weeks so the can charge is to provide smaller bite content. Great promises at e3 for this year already sounds like they are braking this. Therefore I have no trust in them at this stage.

Yep, expect these 6 week content updates to give you about 2 hours worth of game play and will probably cost between $19.99 - $29.99 ea...

Yesterday there was a phone in interview with the folks at Bioware that answered a lot of questions at mmorpg.com author William Murphy

Here are some of the highlights:

CONTENT UPDATES ON AN AGGRESSIVE SCHEDULE

One of the chief things Jeff and Matt expect folks to spend money on if they're not subscribed (subscribers will always receive every bit of new content, regardless of CC) are content updates. They plan on releasing these every six weeks, and they'll include different sorts of content each time: warzones, operations, public events, and so on (even a mix of all three might be possible). And while there's no set price point for each update, they plan to break it down into different options enough so that PVP folks can focus on buying the content they want, and dungeon folks can focus on what they want, while others can buy everything in one package if they want as well. Again the goal with this model, they stress, is to give options to everyone and to open the game up to get the most people playing.

If this is aggressive I shudder. This equates to:-

week 1 - a new FP

week 7 - a new Op

week 14 - a new WZ

week 21 - a new event

week 28 - a new FP

This is even slower than WoW puts out content. I realise that you have paraphrased however you say yourself 'a mix of all three might be possible' which suggests one at a time is the norm.

week 1 - a new FP

week 7 - a new Op

week 14 - a new WZ

week 21 - a new event

week 28 - a new FP

This is even slower than WoW puts out content. I realise that you have paraphrased however you say yourself 'a mix of all three might be possible' which suggests one at a time is the norm.

I hate to tell you this but this content was already pre packaged. This was supposed to be part of a major content patch months down the line. Because they screwed up so bad releasing the game early they needed to hold back some of this stuff to keep people from leaving. Now its F2P they are going to push out the remainder of the already finished projects. Also our World Events were supposed to happen a bit more than one every 8 months

I hate to tell you this but this content was already pre packaged. This was supposed to be part of a major content patch months down the line. Because they screwed up so bad releasing the game early they needed to hold back some of this stuff to keep people from leaving. Now its F2P they are going to push out the remainder of the already finished projects. Also our World Events were supposed to happen a bit more than one every 8 months

Not disagreeing at all

"Essentially, Cartel Coins will buy a few things: actual in-game content (beyond the 1-50 experience that comes with the game now), vanity items, and convenience items (bank slots, bag slots, character slots, etc). There will be nothing you can buy with CC that will give you an advantage over other players in a competitive arena."

Yes. For now, we will have to take them at their word.

F2P in these sub-based MMOs always starts out with this type of convenience, not advantage tripe. Problem is that players will pay for advantage, and not so much for convenience. So there is a constant tension that exists. It's actually a pretty slippery slope and starts a little bit at a time; a stat boost here, a short buff there, but eventually consumes every aspect of gameplay. It's not entirely the pubishers fault. The player base sort of demands a sell out of the mechanics. We shall see...

The last one I played that went down this road was Aion, even when devs/GM assured that they will only sell vanity items, now they are selling p2w items like 100% success enchantment stone, pets way better than what you can get in-game, hp/mp pots way more powerful than the ones you can craft in-game, etc.

Other games I played that started with fluff item malls and eventually added p2w items are: R.O.H.A.N, RF Online, Atlantica Online, Perfect World, Fiesta Online, Flyff, Granado Espada, Twelve Sky, there's more but you get the idea...

Haven't play LOTRO nor DDO so I have no idea how those item malls work (since those are the examples everyone uses)

Exactly...+Rep

By the way, LOTRO ended up going down the wrong side of the hill just like the other titles, especially in PvP. It's pretty much P2W all the way now and complete garbage.

week 1 - a new FP

week 7 - a new Op

week 14 - a new WZ

week 21 - a new event

week 28 - a new FP

seeing as wow has 6-11 months between content updates no it is not slower then WoW.

Yes it probably will cost around 10 -20 dollars for Free players but it will be free to paid subscribers

Have you ever actually played World of Tanks? There is no play to win. Yes they have some gold rounds used by 'gold' (which is bought with real money) But they are super expensive and don't offer that much more armor pen. And 99% of the players save them for clan wars anyway. I have played World of Tanks since beta and they have a great Free to play model. You can play the entire game without spending a dime and see ALL content without spending a dime.

Yes, I did play it. And you claim +33% is not that much? I have some swamp land to sell you...

There will be a new event in August? This month? Ack. I sure hope it doesn't happen during the Star Wars Celebration, that would be a real pain in the butt. I wouldn't be able to participate in the event. :t_frown:

If it does start during CVI, hopefully it will run for a few weeks after it as well...

seeing as wow has 6-11 months between content updates no it is not slower then WoW.

Yes it probably will cost around 10 -20 dollars for Free players but it will be free to paid subscribers

Actually it is slower. The last expansion - 5 ops, 11 dungeons (I've ignored the re-skinned heroics from lower level dungeons) and 2 warzones. That's 18 individual bits of content in a period of Dec 2010 to Oct 2012, which if you divide out comes to less than 6 weeks. I'll also add that the 6 weeks quoted includes 'short term events' so in actuality it's longer than 6 weeks for each content release.

Of course the 'may' release 2 together, but if they don't then certainly the current expansion of WoW has had quicker releases overall.

Not hating, just making an observation.

It's been more than a month since 1.3, a patch with zero content, was released. We haven't heard a SINGLE thing about patch 1.4, and they want to promise us faster content updates? Seems like another empty promise to add to the list. Enough with the talk, Bioware. It's time you actually come through with your promises. Edited by Merex

Wrong. 7 lvl 75 toons on Nimrodel server. Joined game Jan 2008. I define the potions and the legendary "services" and the stat boosts as store bought advantages and thus you are paying for advantage.

Correct 100%. Some kool-aid drinkers define that as not being P2W but it absolutely is. Not cosmetic and not fluff. It has a real tangible effect on the performance of your character.

Correct 100%. Some kool-aid drinkers define that as not being P2W but it absolutely is. Not cosmetic and not fluff. It has a real tangible effect on the performance of your character.

Fantastic so now I have to spend my money on upgrades just to compete with the window licker who has no skill but the cash to spend on upgrades. Gee I wonder why F2P fails so bad?

But those can be bought with Turbine points and not real money if you choose to.

But those can be bought with Turbine points and not real money if you choose to.

Now, you're changing the subject. Is it or is it not an advantage?

Not convenience, not fluff. This is exactly what Turbine did. We're taking the screenshots just like we did with lotro. Time will tell. Every other game that has gone F2P has done this. Bioware copied wow and now they're going to copy lotro. What they need to do is make some content to keep the subs they have. All we have to look forward to is annoying gating and cartel cash sinks even as subscribers.

The big lie is Jeff saying people who quit said they didn't want to pay a sub so they are making it F2P because that's "what the players wanted". No, they quit because $15 a month wasn't worth waiting for new content that never came.

Edited by Jedi_Tyran

There will be a new event in August? This month? Ack. I sure hope it doesn't happen during the Star Wars Celebration, that would be a real pain in the butt. I wouldn't be able to participate in the event. :t_frown:

If it does start during CVI, hopefully it will run for a few weeks after it as well...

The scavenger event was actually supposed to start earlier this summer, but I guess the F2P, etc held it back. PRetty much this event will get us more crystals I think.

The big lie is Jeff saying people who quit said they didn't want to pay a sub so they are making it F2P because that's "what the players wanted". No, they quit because $15 a month wasn't worth waiting for new content that never came.

Folks, we have a winner.

Edited by Hambunctious