Ancient Hypergates Warzone

Revan-the-knight

Adding to the discussion of faction imbalance in open world pvp......

Extra turrets against the faction with more players or extra healing droids for the short-manned side etc..

Anyone remember this? http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3666747

Players have voiced their preferences. BW has already been considering it; however we heard nothing since.

In fact BW said they were "Going back to the drawing board with Ilum" since as early as February.

Theyve actually put some info for this warzone-

It may be coming with an expansion, with makeb.

And they say it is about kills. I hope it is level 50 (55 post expansion) exclusive, because it is linked to terror from beyond Operation, which ruins the fun.

That being said, I hope this is not same faction (how can you make a war game of ancient portals??) and I hope they let us choose warzone.

I want them to stop trying to put band aids on sucking chest wounds. Do some real work, and make Open PVP with objectives, and faction bonuses for those objectives.

Until then, Its just more instanced, pointless, meaningless crap PvP.

Open pvp is dead, it's dead in MMO's in general.

Stop being that annoying little kid that begs for something he can and will never get.

Stop being that annoying little kid that begs for something he can and will never get.

Once you stop being that useless troll that has nothing better to do than try to be condescending to others.

Open world PvP may be "dead" as you say but it's under high demand and these guys are working on it. Ilum is being re-designed from the ground up right now. Hopefully it's taking so long because awesomeness takes time? :D

Seriously though... just because it's not the focus of many games, does not mean it's dead. The demand is there and BW is working on the supply part. If they get it right this time it could be awesome. *crossing fingers*

Open world PvP may be "dead" as you say but it's under high demand and these guys are working on it. Ilum is being re-designed from the ground up right now. Hopefully it's taking so long because awesomeness takes time? :D

Seriously though... just because it's not the focus of many games, does not mean it's dead. The demand is there and BW is working on the supply part. If they get it right this time it could be awesome. *crossing fingers*

i Hear Makeb is going to have Open World PVP objectives

I would like to see warzones that make more use of the environment in tactical play, with perhaps manipulation of the environment being key to success.

Huttball is currently the only zone that fits this bill to any great degree, the others are much more orientated around zerg fests at the nodes. Whehter or not the Hypergates zone will shape up in this way I haven't any idea yet.

Edited by Theagg

To enter this new Warzone you will need to spend 100 cartel credits for 1 day worth of access, or 500CC for a weekly access. For subscribers, there's only a 1 time purchase of 1000 cartel credit, and this Warzone will be unlocked permanently to the account and you can enjoy this shiny new WZ with unlimited exciting access!!! forever as long as you keep paying the subscription uninterrupted. Edited by warultima

I predict they're going to have a super special exciting new ultra wicked mechanic.

Like, you have one door where you have to plant a bomb at to proceed, or, you have two nodes you have to capture and hold to gain points and win.

NOVELTY AT ITS BEST!!!!

BW be right in a pvp decision?

Well, there's a first time for everything- maybe that will be it!

I predict they're going to have a super special exciting new ultra wicked mechanic.

Like, you have one door where you have to plant a bomb at to proceed, or, you have two nodes you have to capture and hold to gain points and win.

NOVELTY AT ITS BEST!!!!

Yes with extra kick to it. Only Marauders are Sentinels are allowed to plant the bomb on the 1st door. Having Powertechs or Vanguards guarding the 2 nodes will give bonus point to the WZ counter.

The room that you need to guard the 2 nodes are in a 10mx10m secured room, you will only get wz credit to win the game if you remain in the 10m by 10m area around the center platform in the middle of the room.

Edited by warultima

Yes with extra kick to it. Only Marauders are Sentinels are allowed to plant the bomb on the 1st door. Having Powertechs or Vanguards guarding the 2 nodes will give bonus point to the WZ counter.

The room that you need to guard the 2 nodes are in a 10mx10m secured room, you will only get wz credit to win the game if you remain in the 10m by 10m area around the center platform in the middle of the room.

So you're basically saying; nerf operatives.

I'd like something with a bit more dynamic terrain (whether indoor or outdoor).

I hate to use other games as examples but it truly helps get my point across:

Take Arathi Basin as an example. It had a node high upon a cliff, as well as a node deep within a valley. These geographic positions made attacking/defending each node reward different strategies (i.e., trying to knock players off the cliff from Lumbermill, or using the person guarding Lumber mill to scout for incomings to Blacksmith).

Again, I apologize for reference to another game.

Edited by Shlamorel

Well the Engine would need some work, since they failed when they tried to run this on Illum. But its nothing that can't be fixed, it just takes work. And they have to be willing to put that work in.

It wasn't so much the engine that ruined Ilum. What killed Ilum was a combination of mass amounts of people trying to PvP with mass amounts of spell graphics (no different than DAoC) combined with everything else that was running in the background. See, BW did a lot of work to make this game fun. But when it comes to open world PvP, all of that work went to screwing the one thing that they were trying to add that they had success with (some of the EA/BW people worked with Mythic on DAoC). When you zone into planets, especially the later ones, do you notice how long it takes to do so? That's because you've gotta load in all of the NPCs, all of their voice files, all of the moving background scenery, and all of the moving pieces. Even though you're not dealing with any of that, per se, when you PvP, you're still having to process it. Every time an AT-AT moves in your general area, whether on screen or not, you're still receiving the information. Add to that 100+ people moving and activating abilities, and everything goes to ****. Granted, it is only 16 people, but do you notice how none of those things are present in the War Zones? The scenic backgrounds in Civil War and Novare Coast are minimalistic, at best, and there is no moving weather (ie snow drifts) in any of them. The more static and spartan the environment, the easier it is for their servers to send and easier for your system to process and send back.

Ilum was a great idea and it would still work. It just needs to be treated as an instance and not as a planet. Hell, even applying the Wintersgrasp concept from WoW would make it desirable.

I'd like something with a bit more dynamic terrain (whether indoor or outdoor).

I hate to use other games as examples but it truly helps get my point across:

Take Arathi Basin as an example. It had a node high upon a cliff, as well as a node deep within a valley. These geographic positions made attacking/defending each node reward different strategies (i.e., trying to knock players off the cliff from Lumbermill, or using the person guarding Lumber mill to scout for incomings to Blacksmith).

Again, I apologize for reference to another game.

varying terrain is a great concept for warzones. hopefully we see something like this.

you know that mountain on hoth that has the chest on it? you get a speed debuff due to weather. that would be an interesting element to add into the "neutral" area or transit route between objectives.

Edited by Aaroneus

Anyone else excited? what do you hope for in this new Warzone coming out in the future?

I'm certainly happy to see another WZ. Not thrilled that it will be another 8v8 contest. We really need another 3-5 WZs with varying group sizes (6v6 death match, 12v12, even 15v15). The 8v8 stuff is getting tired.

Would like for Gates to be significantly different than the other maps. NC was too much of a knock off of CW to really be interesting. Hopefully, the new WZ will in fact be new in terms of layout and strat.

i Hear Makeb is going to have Open World PVP objectives

This would be awesome. BW has an opportunity to do Makeb right for OPvP. Hopefully, they pull it off.

got no idea what it will be like, but I sure could use a break from stunball

You will just be trading stunball for stungates... lol

The Resolve system isn't changing in 1.4 and neither is the cd on our CC breaker.

The open world pvp is, on the other hand, understood to be unbalanced, not entierly about skill, and more a matter of pure fun than of a serious competition.

And exactly what is wrong with having fun? Isn't that why we play these games in the first place?