TOR is pretty good

Neloth

Just want to put it out there since the amount of negative threads might give the impression it's not.

TOR is however very STATIC and I think it could use more DYNAMIC content (as in dynamic events (GW2, Rift), more customizable crafting (SWG), malleable real estate (SWG), territory conquest on land and space (EVE), player driven end game (SWG, EVE)).

(and yes TSW and GW2 are not good enough for me, they will fall into their 100-300k niche soon after the hypetrain slows down)

Just want to put it out there since the amount of negative threads might give the impression it's not.

TOR is however very STATIC and I think it could use more DYNAMIC content (as in dynamic events (GW2, Rift), more customizable crafting (SWG), malleable real estate (SWG), territory conquest on land and space (EVE), player driven end game (SWG, EVE)).

(and yes TSW and GW2 are not good enough for me, they will fall into their 100-300k niche soon after the hypetrain slows down)

I think you just perfectly stated what problems the game has for me. Add to that a questing system that has an impact, both on the character and on the world.

Dynamic public quests would have been a great addition to the game, it's a great shame that they weren't included and quite bizarre given that Mythic have also been working on the game. The 2 and 4man heroic dailies are usually quite enjoyable provided you can get the group together but public quests are far more casual friendly.

I don't disagree that a lot of the locations look static and dull but there are more pressing problems that need attention at the moment. This game desperately needs something good that will set it apart from all other mmos if it wants to succeed in today's mmo market. Some more mini games like Pazaak and a greater space experience would really do wonders.

Edited by Nyoro

quite bizarre given that Mythic have also been working on the game.

it is pretty strange that Mythic seems to have ignored everything that they did successful in other games. most notably RVR from DAOC and public quests from Warhammer

The only thing that kinda bums me about the game is some areas where it doesn't quite live up to it's potential.

For instance, the game has the best environments I've seen in any MMO I've played. But....they could have done more about them being so static. They need to bring them to life more.

For example, when I go into my hanger, I want to see workers or mechanical arms connecting/disconnecting huge fuel lines from my ship. Little things like that sprinkled throughout the game would do a lot to improve immersion.

Yes, with all of that, SWTOR would be rather excellent. :)

TOR is however very STATIC and I think it could use more DYNAMIC content (as in dynamic events (GW2, Rift)...

Dynamic events? You mean the Public Quests they stole from warhammer online? to be honest GW2 is looking good but they didnt invent anything you can be sure of that.

it is pretty strange that Mythic seems to have ignored everything that they did successful in other games. most notably RVR from DAOC and public quests from Warhammer

Why they didn't include things like the public group/quest system from WAR, and how SWTOR end up with such poor PvP and RvR (and now no RvR at all) with all the lessons (good and bad) from WAR, is one of the genuine mysteries of the Universe. :confused:

Why they didn't include things like the public group/quest system from WAR, and how SWTOR end up with such poor PvP and RvR (and now no RvR at all) with all the lessons (good and bad) from WAR, is one of the genuine mysteries of the Universe. :confused:

One of the biggest problems with RvR is that the engine simply isn't optimised to support a gathering of players and a reason that most mmo developers keep it out entirely. This may change in time but until the game can support over a hundred people in close proximity without running like a slide slow, RvR just isn't practical.

The PvP itself has the potential to be good. Warzones with equally matched teams are a lot of fun but since there is no matchmaking system, it is more often then not unbalanced and frustrating.

One of the biggest problems with RvR is that the engine simply isn't optimised to support a gathering of players and a reason that most mmo developers keep it out entirely. This may change in time but until the game can support over a hundred people in close proximity without running like a slide slow, RvR just isn't practical.

Yeah the engine is or was horrible, but then WARs was poor on its release, but they got up to being able to have 400v400 in one zone battles (before the server died).

There's no reason SWTORs engine couldn't be optimised to work with a reasonable number of people.

The PvP itself has the potential to be good. Warzones with equally matched teams are a lot of fun but since there is no matchmaking system, it is more often then not unbalanced and frustrating.

I'm not a fan of their mechanics. Resolve isn't fit for purpose and there's far too much stunning.

I think you just perfectly stated what problems the game has for me. Add to that a questing system that has an impact, both on the character and on the world.

Yeah It would add so much depth, but I don't think BW will do it :(

I guess.

I think one of these games is going to bust out because people are tired of the same ole same ole. People can say "GW2 isn't creating anything new" and they are right...but neither did WOW. It just took what other MMOs tried and polished it.

For example Rift's dynamic events are cool at first...a big thing opens in the sky and monsters pour out...players group up and fight back...but they are usually the same.

GW2's DEs are different. They are story based and if players fail then the event chains into something else. It's a lot more dynamic and they also scale. So any one in the area can join in. There is a difference here because GW2s DEs means that they could always throw in new ones to keep them fresh.

As for SWTOR, you're right it would be better with all of those things...but it is not going to get any of those things because of the engine.

GW2's DEs are different. They are story based and if players fail then the event chains into something else.

lol, it's not, when I played the BWE many of these so called dynamic events consisted of a killzone where a lot of mobs were spawning while a bunch of player were waiting to kill them for their XP grind, then move to the next killzone, pretty much like your description of Rift and it also threw me back to 2008 when I did Public Quests on Warhammer.

lol, it's not, when I played the BWE many of these so called dynamic events consisted of a killzone where a lot of mobs were spawning while a bunch of player were waiting to kill them for their XP grind, then move to the next killzone, pretty much like your description of Rift and it also threw me back to 2008 when I did Public Quests on Warhammer.

Well I guess you didn't play enough of them because they do chain into other events and not all of them are about killing spawned mobs, but hey if you want to say something negative about it then everything in any MMO is about killing mobs.

Still it is a lot better than what is offered in every other MMO in my personal opinion and most seemed to be impressed. They have delivered on what they said it would do.

Well I guess you didn't play enough of them because they do chain into other events and not all of them are about killing spawned mobs, but hey if you want to say something negative about it then everything in any MMO is about killing mobs.

Still it is a lot better than what is offered in every other MMO in my personal opinion and most seemed to be impressed. They have delivered on what they said it would do.

I didn't say every single DE is like that, but many were, and the story context is not provided in many of those, unless you want to go back to reading textboxes.

DEs are fun, sure, but they are not the end all be all questing system, good thing is that they recognize it and have different types of quests, including personal stories like in swtor, which is good IMO because I enjoy those types of stories.

I didn't say every single DE is like that, but many were, and the story context is not provided in many of those, unless you want to go back to reading textboxes.

DEs are fun, sure, but they are not the end all be all questing system, good thing is that they recognize it and have different types of quests, including personal stories like in swtor, which is good IMO because I enjoy those types of stories.

Here is the thing though...they are fun. That's all that matters and if they can continue to make new ones then I don't see how it could ever be a negative about the game. The story sometimes is a lot more simpler in them.

How many quests in SWTOR were about killing Mobs? Pretty much every quest was kill this many mobs. Whether they were protecting an item you had to protect, or in a instance you have to fight through. Actually that must be around a good 70% of the quests in SWTOR. Fight through enemies in this instance to reach the boss which you will beat....or go collect this many of that item but watch out! Their are baddies surrounding the item!

From what I can tell there is a lot more variety in that other game. I think this is what it all comes down to. The questing experience in SWTOR is better than a lot of other games because of the story, but at times you are just killing things to advance the story and reach level cap rather than just killing things because it's fun. At least that is how I felt one too many times the longer I played the game.

From what I can tell there is a lot more variety in that other game. I think this is what it all comes down to. The questing experience in SWTOR is better than a lot of other games because of the story, but at times you are just killing things to advance the story and reach level cap rather than just killing things because it's fun. At least that is how I felt one too many times the longer I played the game.

I think questing is SWTOR is probably the best (at least once through) in SWTOR, but tbh it's not much better than LOTRO and LOTRO is certainly better mulitiple times though.

I think if LOTRO had full voice acting it would be the better one.

I think questing is SWTOR is probably the best (at least once through) in SWTOR, but tbh it's not much better than LOTRO and LOTRO is certainly better mulitiple times though.

I think if LOTRO had full voice acting it would be the better one.

To be honest, the quests in Swtor aren't good in any way for the most part. Voice acting and cutscenes were nice, but the storylines themselves were mostly disappointing and lacking. Most of them were there most uninteresting kind of your usual questtexts with voices. Good stories need characters that have personalities and twists, suprises and are longer. Most of the 'stories' in Swtor are "xyz is attacking us and stole our supplies" with the characters changing every few minutes. And even the dialogues lack optional information and a less tiring presentation (almost always the same camera angles). For the most parts there was no real storytelling nor anything resembling "Triple A storytelling" as Bioware puts it.

Edited by Frumyrfrenzy

To be honest, the quests in Swtor aren't good in any way for the most part. Voice acting and cutscenes were nice, but the storylines themselves were mostly disappointing and lacking. Most of them were there most uninteresting kind of your usual questtexts with voices. Good stories need characters that have personalities and twists, suprises and are longer. Most of the 'stories' in Swtor are "xyz is attacking us and stole our supplies" with the characters changing every few minutes. And even the dialogues lack optional information and a less tiring presentation (almost always the same camera angles). For the most parts there was no real storytelling nor anything resembling "Triple A storytelling" as Bioware puts it.

Yeah there's few amazing ones, but the voice acting does engage you (or at least me) once through very well.

But it's on going through the same content again where by the 4th time I'm finding myself just space barring everything except fresh class quests.