Why not B2P like GW2?

LibertySol

Currently the game is pay to play (P2P) - Initial 40-60 dollar payment and subsequently 15 dollars a month.

People are talking about it going free to play (F2P) - No initial payment nor a fee to access it but a cash shop where one can buy items and perks.

But why not go B2P a la GW2? That way you buy the game for 60 dollars and the cash shop is only for cosmetics and additional perks.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not let Guild Wars be Guild Wars and Star Wars be the way it is. There's no evidence that swtor will be free 2 play for now, and this are just hoax from a few people in this forum.

Every single one of your posts is completely unhelpful and isn't constructive at all.

Because this isn't Guild Wars 2, and I don't want it to be.

No one said anything about turning TOR into GW2 get your head out of the sand.

OMG...yet another thread on this subject. And it's Another Comparasion to GW to boot.

Yeah you literally added nothing to the discussion. Not sure if trolling or just stupid. What would you rather talk about on the Gen forums something totally irrelavnt like what my favorite speeder is? Yeah ok.

Why not let Guild Wars be Guild Wars and Star Wars be the way it is. There's no evidence that swtor will be free 2 play for now, and this are just hoax from a few people in this forum.

There is evidence. When a game loses subscribers thats evidence it could go free to play. Will it? Maybe. Maybe not. But to say there's no evidence and just a hoax would ignore every MMO that's ever gone F2P.

More than half of development will go towards said vanity items instead of content and expansions.

No, still think I'd prefer paying $60 + $15/month sub fee.

GW2 doesn't have "more than half the development towards vanity items". They're goal is monthly content updates why couldn't TOR do the same?

Guild Wars 2 doesn't have any endgame PvE content and probably never will. The only content expansions will be through actual expansion packs.

lol is the SWTOR forums full of trolls? This is just a complete and utter lie. It does have endgame PvE content. Just because they don't have 10 man instanced raids doesn't mean there no PvE content. And they've stated multiple times they will have content totally for free being added to the game.

Don't go around spreading bs. Trolling as an art and should be treated as such. If you're going to do it do it well at the very least. If not add to conversation at hand.

Currently the game is pay to play (P2P) - Initial 40-60 dollar payment and subsequently 15 dollars a month.

People are talking about it going free to play (F2P) - No initial payment nor a fee to access it but a cash shop where one can buy items and perks.

But why not go B2P a la GW2? That way you buy the game for 60 dollars and the cash shop is only for cosmetics and additional perks.

-Having to buy the best looking gear in-game

-Having to buy an expansion

April 28, 2005 (original release of the game, 60$)

April 28, 2006 Guild Wars Factions, 40$

October 27, 2006 Guild Wars Nightfall, 40$

August 31st, 2007 Guild Wars Eye of the North, 40$

with no real "content" patch in between, i dont see how its better.

Edited by ElitehunterDS

That was Guild Wars 1 not Guild Wars 2 jesus christ people.

There's no evidence that swtor will be free 2 play for now, and this are just hoax from a few people in this forum.

wanna bet?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/06/16/ea-weighs-in-on-star-wars-the-old-republic-going-free-to-play/

“We are looking at free-to-play, but I can’t tell you in much detail. We have to be flexible and adapt to what is going on,” BioWare Lead Designer Emmanuel Lusinchi said recently.
Edited by Briq

lol is the SWTOR forums full of trolls? This is just a complete and utter lie. It does have endgame PvE content. Just because they don't have 10 man instanced raids doesn't mean there no PvE content. And they've stated multiple times they will have content totally for free being added to the game.

Don't go around spreading bs. Trolling as an art and should be treated as such. If you're going to do it do it well at the very least. If not add to conversation at hand.

Personally this is exactly the reason swtor has become unattractive in its later months. You have the die hard fanboys that praise the game up and act like nothing is wrong; although the game is good i mean im still here it has many many many problems. People dont know how to take their heads out their anal cavities and be constructive, the community acts like children and cant comprehend that people can like more than one game at a time. Personally the B2P method could work but would have to be implemented in a manner that doesnt ostrcise the people that have thrown down more than 100 bucks on this MMO (ala me and many others).

For the time being im still up in the air on whether or not i wanna continue with this game, in no way is it the gameplay for me but many other things that would be to boring to write about, and besides if i have an opinion ill either be a troll or get the note worth * Can i has ur stuff* quote.

Well technically both of you are correct. There's no really not much end game content in the BETA (Explorable 5 Man Dungeons are pretty much Tier 1.5 Flashpoints) but that's because they're saving it for the actual release.

Zhaitan the Elder Dragon with the power of Undeath? He's only available to fight after the game goes live.

As far as World Bosses go, the Fire Elemental seemed pretty well done. I'd say easier than Nightmare Pilgrim but way harder than Gargath or PD - which is saying something for Beta content.

and after that they announced the F2P trial up to level 15 with no time limits.

That was Guild Wars 1 not Guild Wars 2 jesus christ people.

and that change what? its the same company with the same idea and way of working, like thats gonna change.

Edited by ElitehunterDS

hmmm $40 a year for an expansion vs. $180 a year for a subscription.....

now comparing GW1 to SWTOR is really like comparing apples to oranges, but based on financials alone, your argument falls apart

I think that an intial investment for the client (probably $40 at this point) plus microtransactions would be a good model for SWTOR. Every sub game I've seen go to this model actually winds up offering more content and quicker. That it's ala carte is a bonus in my opinion.

That way, the developers can really see if people like gear grinding or story based content. Whichever sells the best wins. Basic economics instead of who can shout the loudest on the boards.

did you read the article nowhere does it say it is going F2P anytime soon but that they are looking into it also the interview is a little old that came out just before free to 15 .

F2P means i won ' t pay i also will not purchase future EA/BW products. i loathe F2P that much

did you read the article nowhere does it say it is going F2P anytime soon but that they are looking into it also the interview is a little old that came out just before free to 15 .

F2P means i won ' t pay i also will not purchase future EA/BW products. i loathe F2P that much

yeah I read the article...but the person I was replying to said that the F2P idea was nothing more than forum rumor mill output... to which I proved him wrong.

and after that they announced the F2P trial up to level 15 with no time limits.

and that change what? its the same company with the same idea and way of working, like thats gonna change.

GW1 is different from GW2. Extremely different. With GW1 they released expansions but GW2 will have free content updates just like a P2P game. You're just being difficult and/or trolling.

Edited by LibertySol

yeah I read the article...but the person I was replying to said that the F2P idea was nothing more than forum rumor mill output... to which I proved him wrong.

that doesn't prove him wrong just proves him right F2P is a forum rumor that has gotten well out of hand

GW1 is different from GW2. Extremely different. With GW1 they released expansions but GW2 will have free content updates just like a P2P game. You're just being difficult and/or trolling.

What people say and what people do, 2 different thing.

If you arent happy go play that zerging game.

Edited by ElitehunterDS

Did YOU read the article let me quote it for you:

"We’re going to be in the business from a long-term standpoint so absolutely we’re going to embrace free access, free trial, ultimately some day we can move in and embrace that model,”

Free trial has been done. Free access is WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT NOW.

What people say and what people do, 2 different thing.

If you arent happy go play that zerging game.

So your argument boils down to "I'm right because they're lying". Listen this isn't BioWare. Yeah I went there. BioWare hasn't be very truthful as of late with ME3 ending, etc. I do not assume that they're going to lie about the biggest aspect of their game. Everyone would quit and they'd be left with nothing so they can't afford to lie like BioWare can with SWTOR. If only 250k people play TOR then that's still 15 dollars a month from 250,000 people. B2P doesn't allow you to drop in quality as much.

that doesn't prove him wrong just proves him right F2P is a forum rumor that has gotten well out of hand

IT'S NOT A RUMOR.. it has been actively looked at by people at EA/BW.. are you really that dense? can you read?

and don't confuse my argument as saying it's 100% going to happen.. I wont pretend to speculate on the inner workings of EA/BW. but also don't stick your head in the sand and act as if it isn't being addressed/considered by EA/BW.