Pvp def guardian is dead!

helloder

Run hybrid spec with gear having largely endurance and dps stats, and then be happy that you have far and away the best spec for dedicated tank role pvp in the game.

Defense guardian isn't dead; you're just setup wrong.

Yes, you are dead, face it, and reroll to pyro/vanguard. There are must be tons of fun.

Today on WZ my guardian (52.3% damage reduction, 29.25% defence rating, 26% shield) was fast and easy railshoted by pyro with several 3.9K crits. There is no fun in this game for play guardian. Zero fun.

Edited by TonyDragonflame

Run hybrid spec with gear having largely endurance and dps stats, and then be happy that you have far and away the best spec for dedicated tank role pvp in the game.

Defense guardian isn't dead; you're just setup wrong.

This ^

Shielding has not worked in PvP since early beta, so I don't know why this still comes as a surprise to some people. Stacking defense stats for PvP is about as pointless as an all-Merc team.

No, they aren't. Tanks are fine and extremely valuable on a team. While it's true that some mitigation does not work and the damage leaves more to be desired, that is not your job. You are supposed to be guarding, taunting, peeling, CC and protecting. You are still sturdy. You need a dedicated group, where you will shine.

Yes, you are dead, face it, and reroll to pyro/vanguard. There are must be tons of fun.

Today on WZ my guardian (52.3% damage reduction, 29.25% defence rating, 26% shield) was fast and easy railshoted by pyro with several 3.9K crits. There is no fun in this game for play guardian. Zero fun.

Got to love Google Translator

Dunno what to add..

Valor 81 Full Warhero War Leader ( defence spec gear ).

Still I can do up to 190k protection in match but only 100k dps.

And this protection is useless cause it's all because I'be been healed.

True. The problem is that devs didnt test guardian on wzs, They kinda made "smart slash", and some other "smart crap" instead of beeing clever = testing how things are working on wzs. And now seems that weeks of grinding for War Leader were waste of time, cause class is broken - if def..shields. abs. etc. dont proper work on wzs, why did they put such crappy mods?. Cause they dont have any idea about pvp here. We are testing and paying for that.

Mr Austin Peckenpaugh - Your job here is to create, maintain, and balance class gameplay in The Old Republic - so please take Guardian, put War Leader set and go to wz. You will see "Your creation".

Edited by Angevord

If you want to stay def spec? Run with def off pieces but Vig armour and saber.

Problem solved.

Edit: Also to the person who had 26% shield, thats too low. Shield rolls directly against crits and anyone who is serious about PvP has 30-40% crit so you need the same amount of shield rating if you want to cut crits.

Unless your shield rating is 30% or more, you might as well not bother because its going to be pushed off the table so often.

Edited by AKfourtyseven

Agree it is dead. Defence Guardian in War Leader gear is fairly useless. The game is a DPS race. Have to re-roll or re-gear.

Even in PVE a tank class is fairly useless for the day to day stuff. HM FP / Heroics - don't need tanks, I see that well geared DPS and Healers clears this content way faster and more effectively without a Tank. The only place Tanks are still needed is with OPS Bosses.

Edited by Midden

Edit: Also to the person who had 26% shield, thats too low. Shield rolls directly against crits and anyone who is serious about PvP has 30-40% crit so you need the same amount of shield rating if you want to cut crits.

I hope you're joking, crit bypasses shield completely (read up on a dev saying "critical hits pushes shield chance off the table"), and shield is only good against weapon damage (marauder, sniper) and the rest of the classes bypass shield.

Edited by Sookster

I hope you're joking, crit bypasses shield completely (read up on a dev saying "critical hits pushes shield chance off the table"), and shield is only good against weapon damage (marauder, sniper) and the rest of the classes bypass shield.

No the rest of the classes don't all bypass shield. Only sorc and stealthy op do, everyone else has attacks that can be shielded in some way or mitigated by those defenses.

No you read up... Crit pushes shield off the table when and only when crit rating is greater than shield, hence my entire point. When an attack is made it either hits or doesnt (acc Vs def), then its either a crit or shielded (shield vs crit). This means for any attack that can be shielded, if you dont have a shield rating for 30%+ it will get pushed off the table because the persons crit rating is always going to be higher.

plenty of teams run hybrid tanks. I can safely say that my team carries two hybrid tanks at all times. Yes its boring but they are need to guard nodes because they can survive long enough in one on ones and their guards are probably one of the most important things for any rated team. Tanks are far from unwanted. In fact its hard to find a good tank who can guard and still put out decent damage in a hybrid spec.

No you read up... Crit pushes shield off the table when and only when crit rating is greater than shield, hence my entire point. When an attack is made it either hits or doesnt (acc Vs def), then its either a crit or shielded (shield vs crit). This means for any attack that can be shielded, if you dont have a shield rating for 30%+ it will get pushed off the table because the persons crit rating is always going to be higher.

I believe the devs actually commented on this saying that only in the event that crit plus shield is greater than 100 will shield be less effective.

For example: 40 percent shield and 40 percent crit makes 40 percent chance to shield, 40 to crit, and 20 to do normal damage.

But say, 50 percent shield, 60 percent crit makes 40 percent chance to shield and 60 percent chance to crit.

So only on some special abilities or with cooldowns popped is it likely that crit will be sufficiently high enough to bypass shields.

I believe the devs actually commented on this saying that only in the event that crit plus shield is greater than 100 will shield be less effective.

For example: 40 percent shield and 40 percent crit makes 40 percent chance to shield, 40 to crit, and 20 to do normal damage.

But say, 50 percent shield, 60 percent crit makes 40 percent chance to shield and 60 percent chance to crit.

So only on some special abilities or with cooldowns popped is it likely that crit will be sufficiently high enough to bypass shields.

^ This is correct.

The hybrid spec is to take the Defense tree up to Blade Barrier, and the Vigilance tree up to Overhead Slash and Commanding Awe. In tank gear you will be quite sturdy compared to the other classes, but not a heavy hitter. In dps gear you will trade durability for damage (obviously). It's up to you to determine which set is more appropriate for your playstyle and team composition. I usually PUG in dps gear and team up in tank gear, although lately I have been going into pug matches in tank gear for the practice.

Guard is useful because (supposedly) your uber tank stats will mitigate the damage that comes your way. It also reduces the burst that your healer (or whoever) experiences.

Sorry m8 but is only "theory" - i had 60% shield chance, 60% absorb - and all dmg was cutting me as fresh, milky butter.

Sorry m8 but is only "theory" - i had 60% shield chance, 60% absorb - and all dmg was cutting me as fresh, milky butter.

lol, no, it's accurate.

If i have an ability that increases my crit chance to 90%, your shield chance will be reduced to 10%

If I have an ability that bypasses shields - like an elemental or internal damage attack, your 60% shield means f*** all. This IMO is contributing to the OPness of pyrotechs right now.

Dunno what to add..

Valor 81 Full Warhero War Leader ( defence spec gear ).

Still I can do up to 190k protection in match but only 100k dps.

And this protection is useless cause it's all because I'be been healed.

Im going to do only pve now cause this last patch completely killed my hopes to be a valuable member for a pvp team

Now one needs your as tank, they say you only waste heal on you, like a fat healer companion with extrely low damage and any dps or ofc healer can help your team more at wz

Even other tanks are not as bad in dps as defense guardian.

Goodbye my favorite pvp.. :'(

Yes I know to play hybrid spec and do up to 300k damage + ofc playing it objective way not stupid serg.

But I complain about def spec!

def guardian right here and im not in full warhero and get over 200k pro in a good game my highest is almost 300k pro healers love me your role is not dps your a tank your a picker i like to call it where you defend the healers and pick the dps attacking them off with cc no one attacking the healers go force sweep and put as much sunder armor as you can taunt and keep the dps low AND USE GUARDIAN LEAP !!!!!! i can make any healer a tank and with a healer i can survive and make them survive 3 people focusing you really people give up cause they cant kill us then move to different targets by that time the dps has killed there healers and the enemy is down

i really love my guardian

Right, you bypass shield with crit, but you need to bypass defense in order to crit.

I play two tanks, I have frequently been congratulated by healers when I tank for them.

And here is one thing to keep in mind, huttball. When you have a tank with all defensive build and gear, then you will know what a pleasure tanks are to play.