MMO's Do Not Die.

WickedDjinn

Whatever the future holds, rest assured of one thing. The chance of this game no longer being supported even years from now is almost nonexistent.

MMOs generally don't die. Even the WORST MMOs are still alive and supported years later. Even the rare exceptions last at least a decade. There is no reason for all hysteria over whether the game drops out of existence within the next few years.

And even if it DID, that's more than enough time to get your enjoyment out of it. A game is either worthy of supporting Now, or it isn't. Leave the worries about what EA is doing to the self important pseudo journalists and 'insiders' and enjoy your game.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SWG says hi.

Which I addressed and proves the point more than anything. SWG lasted about a decade inspite of a mountain of problems, years of mismanagement and a relatively small player base.

Even then it would still be around if not for TOR coming along.

I'm guessing you've never heard of Auto Assault or Tabula Rasa

Again, that's besides the point. These are those rare exceptions that prove the rule.

Ultima Online is still running for goodness sake!

All evidence suggests that we have nothing to worry about as far as SwTor going anywhere.

Whatever the future holds, rest assured of one thing. The chance of this game no longer being supported even years from now is almost nonexistent.

MMOs generally don't die. Even the WORST MMOs are still alive and supported years later. Even the rare exceptions last at least a decade. There is no reason for all hysteria over whether the game drops out of existence within the next few years.

And even if it DID, that's more than enough time to get your enjoyment out of it. A game is either worthy of supporting Now, or it isn't. Leave the worries about what EA is doing to the self important pseudo journalists and 'insiders' and enjoy your game.

Warhammer Online has been in maintainace mode (MMO-undeath) for several years now and it was only realeased in Sept 2008. In fact it never really got any new content at all (a couple of classes that were supposed to be in at release and a new zone that was 90% developed before it went Live).

Believe me maintanace mode is pretty much death for an MMORPG, or at least undeath, zombieMMOs aren't much fun. :eek:

Edited by Goretzu

This is speculative. It is not fact. Your argument has many logical errors. There is no way to "divine" the future of SWTOR or any MMORPG.

Again, that's besides the point. These are those rare exceptions that prove the rule.

Ultima Online is still running for goodness sake!

All evidence suggests that we have nothing to worry about as far as SwTor going anywhere.

By stating "oh noes that's an exception", you invalidate your own argument. Since you emphatically stated:

"Whatever the future holds, rest assured of one thing. The chance of this game no longer being supported even years from now is almost nonexistent."

Again you show defensiveness in the defence of your premise.

Now all that said, I would like to see this game stay around for a while but, with defenses of SWTOR like this, we don't need any enemies.

This is just another example of:

"Quick Fanboiz Assemble! ™" :eek:

Good try. Poor execution. ;)

I suppose I should have titled the thread MMOs rarely Die.

Sounds less impressive though, and should be besides the point. Have MMOs vanished? A few.

But Ultima Online, Everquest and Asherons Call, the first MMOs, are still alive. Dozens of MMOs in worse shape than TOR, with smaller player bases and less support continue to exist years later. Almost every MMO ever made persists. To the point that an MMO actually dying is incredibly rare.

Point is, we have nothing to worry about. TOR isn't dying and isn't going anywhere.

Point is, we have nothing to worry about. TOR isn't dying and isn't going anywhere.

Again though WAR proves that to be totally incorrect.

Unless you are indeed potentially statisfied with SWTOR never having anything else added.

Personally I'm hoping they try to grow the game (so things like a JTL expansion can be added) rather than shut up shop and milk the SW licence in maintance mode.

I suppose I should have titled the thread MMOs rarely Die.

Sounds less impressive though, and should be besides the point. Have MMOs vanished? A few.

But Ultima Online, Everquest and Asherons Call, the first MMOs, are still alive. Dozens of MMOs in worse shape than TOR, with smaller player bases and less support continue to exist years later. Almost every MMO ever made persists. To the point that an MMO actually dying is incredibly rare.

Speculative. There is no way to be certain. One can only "hope".

This is speculative. It is not fact. Your argument has many logical errors. There is no way to "divine" the future of SWTOR or any MMORPG.

By stating "oh noes that's an exception", you invalidate your own argument. Since you emphatically stated:

"Whatever the future holds, rest assured of one thing. The chance of this game no longer being supported even years from now is almost nonexistent."

Again you show defensiveness in the defence of your premise.

Now all that said, I would like to see this game stay around for a while but, with defenses of SWTOR like this, we don't need any enemies.

This is just another example of:

"Quick Fanboiz Assemble! ™" :eek:

Good try. Poor execution. ;)

I am in no way a fan boy. In fact your last few lines betray your own bias, not mind.

I'm simply annoyed by the irrational TOR is dying threads.

Reality has already proven my premise correct. Almost nonexistent chance of this game dying anytime soon.

I did say almost. ;)

Hear, hear. Even SWG lasted 7 years, this game has barely been out 7 months. This game is going strong. All those people who are complaining on forums? They log in to one of many level 50 characters and have fun playing, i'm sure.

I am in no way a fan boy. In fact your last few lines betray your own bias, not mind.

I'm simply annoyed by the irrational TOR is dying threads.

Reality has already proven my premise correct. Almost nonexistent chance of this game dying anytime soon.

I did say almost. ;)

See you should have started out stating your premise this way and I would have had no problems with what you wrote. You are back peddeling from your original premise proving my point. I share your desires. I don't share your offered apologetic.

Oh I am a fan, just not rabid like some. But, I am more a fan of "Star Wars" than EA/BW (which continues to underwhelm).

Edited by Urael

SWG says hi.

Which lasted 10 years and only died because another Star Wars MMO was out. Look at Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. That was another big budget MMO that has been down to 1 server for a long time and only has maybe 50 people on during primetime.

With all the voice acting I would see the quality of the game dropping dramatically if it failed to be a big success. The cost of maintaining this game is higher than non-voiced MMOs. Not to mention writing for 8 seperate stories. IF the cost outweighed the profit or proved to be not worth it I could see it literally dying or transforming into something it's not. I doubt that will happpen, but just saying. Problem I had with this MMO from the moment it was announced was that it would hurt everything else that wasn't TOR. And that is true. Other games are being delayed or cancelled to funnel resources into TOR. I loved the Warcraft RTS games, but then WOW showed up and the good times were over.

SWG says hi.

lol, this.

Do you (OP) think that just because the game is backed by EA/BioWare that it will never "die"? SWG was around for 8 years. They were backed by Sony and LucasArts yet they still pulled the plug. If the game is not bringing it money then it is not viable to keep it active.

Shutdown MMOs

•AW Planet-

•Air Warriors: The first multiplayer air combat simulation and one of the first MMO games ever. Ran in one form or another on various platforms from 1986 to 2001*

Asherons Call 2 (AC2)- Cancelled on December 30, 2005. A very pretty game with a lot of good ideas seemingly challenged in a number of ways due to relationships, extreme technical issues and never having achieved a critical mass in community.

•Auto Assault (AA)- Tested but decided not to buy. Game closing in September 2007.

•Earth and Beyond (EnB)- Closed in September 2004. MMO space sim-esque game by EA.

•Faces of Mankind- Released March 2006 closed November 2007. Sequel was cancelled in June 2008. •Fury- Lasted ten months until it closed in August 2008. •Legends of Kesmai- Launched in 1984 or 1985 as a followup to the ASCII-based Islands of Kesmai on Compuserve (which was developed by the same group that launched Air Warrior). Shut down in 2001. •Irth Online- Closed at some point. Site still up but game cannot be played. Last update was in Feb 2008 when some server moves weren't going well. Guess they went real bad. •Middle Earth Online- Apparently nixed in 1999. License of the Tolkien source material eventually landed with Turbine who launced Lord of the Rings Online: •Mimensis Online- Release Jan 2002 closed March 2005. Post-apocalyptic mmo from Tannhauser Gate. Thanks Wasted

•Motor City Online (MCO)- Closed in August 2003. MMO driving game from EA.

•Seed- Cancelled on September 28, 2006

•Shadow of Yserbius from Sierra. Shut down in '96.

•Shadowbane- From Wolfpack. Shut down on May 1st, 2009. •Space cowboys: Fee Mmporg. Was shut down but due to some shinanigans. It has been largly relaunched in a near identical form by another company under the name Air Rivals. •Tabula Rasa- Announced shutdown on 11/21/08. Intended to close February 28, 2009.

•The Sims Online: Mar 2007 game changed to EA Land. Shut down in Aug 2008. •Underlight- Closed in 2007

•(the first) Warhammer Online- A joint venture with Games Workshop, begun in 2001, cancelled on June 21, 2004.