Over 100 servers locked- What is happening

I rarely come on the forums to shout, or bash. I am simply making a comment.

Upon looking in, I counted that over 100 separate servers have been "locked" I count them out slowly. What is the cause of this, and if they are locked will they ever be open?

I notice only about five servers actively open. Again, I love the direction of the game personallly. I love the story telling and no I'm not quitting no matter what. This isn't that kind of threat. Just as a paying customer generally concerned about this.

It's hard not to notice every time I log in.

• Dev Post

We implemented server transfers from some select origin servers to destination servers a bit ago. You can read more information about the server transfers in the latest blog (part II of a series):

Character Transfer, Server Populations, and You (pt. II)

You can also check out the Transfers Page for additional information!

And if you are wondering why there are so few servers, it's because they realized they can have mega servers that can handle much higher capacity.

No, it's because over 80% of all servers had less than 100 people playing on them. Like my old server Senator Constipex; never more than 10 people on fleet.

Edited by Maltuvion

And if you are wondering why there are so few servers, it's because they realized they can have mega servers that can handle much higher capacity.

No they realized that alot of people quit the game because its a bad MMO.

Have you noticed what the full caps were at launch and before the transfers and after the transfers? A mega server doesnt have a 3500 +/- limit to how many people can log in. Mega is suppost to mean real large and 3500 isnt large at all.

As Bioware always tries to word thing to not sound as bad as they are. Some Select Origin Servers? Really about 200 servers that were origin servers is some? Some would be about 20-30 if your dealing with 220 servers. 90% of something isnt some its most of or a hell of a lot of and not just some.

It is not a bad MMO it got released to soon, players hit level 50 with nothing to do

There is no way to fix it. The game is based all on story telling and the story telling stops when you stop leveling.

In order for them to add story they need to add leveling and when you add leveling you take away endgame. Its an impossible combination to have.

This game would be a very good(maybe even great) single player game but as an MMO its a failure.

There is no way to fix it. The game is based all on story telling and the story telling stops when you stop leveling.

In order for them to add story they need to add leveling and when you add leveling you take away endgame. Its an impossible combination to have.

This game would be a very good(maybe even great) single player game but as an MMO its a failure.

I agree the state of the game at present is as you mentioned. However I do think it can be fixed. But I am not sure they are willing to pour the funds back into the game enough to do it. And they would have to do even a larger shake up of the those who are leading the developement of TOR.

On the topic, the game has lost a lot of subs and the server transfers are nothing more than steps to control the future costs of maintaining the game. Rift had to do the same thing after they had lost a lot of subs.

Edited by Valkirus

I don't see why story has to be linked to leveling. Each character's personal story, maybe. Not all story.

They locked them the day they started the level 1-15 free to play promotion , which makes sense no point having people start their characters on the origin servers , because they would have to transfer them too at some point. Also I believe some time after the 30th of July they will move/merge these 100 servers together , hopefully keeping some more than the 25 servers that are available atm.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

It is not a bad MMO it got released to soon, players hit level 50 with nothing to do

I have been level 50 for months. Plenty still to do for me. The people complaining about nothing to do are the hardcore, for which this game could stand less of.

you would still find a way to cry about it if it was single player...

People like you are all the same, you find a reason to whine about something...while failing to realize that your negative attitude reflects in all aspects of your life. People around you move on and enjoy the roses while you sit back negative as hell in misery all the time.

Enjoy your mediocre life, I bet you complain about co-workers that make more money than you rather than perform better to justify a raise. People like you can be read like a book.

Have you noticed what the full caps were at launch and before the transfers and after the transfers? A mega server doesnt have a 3500 +/- limit to how many people can log in. Mega is suppost to mean real large and 3500 isnt large at all.

As Bioware always tries to word thing to not sound as bad as they are. Some Select Origin Servers? Really about 200 servers that were origin servers is some? Some would be about 20-30 if your dealing with 220 servers. 90% of something isnt some its most of or a hell of a lot of and not just some.

3500 concurrent logins is actually a lot of people. Some people play a lot, some people play very little, some only play certain days of the week. If people play an average of 4 hours, that makes 56,000 people per server if people play for four hours 4 days a week and you say that 3500 logins in normal for only 16 hours a day (clearly they aren't normal at 3AM). That is a low estimate, still... But that's over half a million people in this game.

Merging servers is normal considering modern technology. When they started, they started with small servers specifically so everybody had room. Opening week, I played on servers that had 30 people in either fleet during peak hours. Even the server I logged into that was "FULL" was 120 people on fleet. Now most of the time, I see 250+ people on either fleet on merged servers during average times, and 300 or so during peak hours.

To answer the TC's question the game has lost a lot of subs. If you haven't heard they have also laid off a large number of staff. So in order to make sure the game still turns a profit, things are going to have to be cut.

They staff they laid off are the ones that MAKE games not RUN them....the game is made so now people are required to maintain and add to it. It has nothing to do with profit, everyone needs to quit doomsaying.

<nod>

I think it was a mistake from Lucas Arts to give the next Star Wars MMO licence to a company that had no experience in MMOs.

The game launches with few bugs (which isn't easy for an MMO, so they did that right), but they apprioach this game indeed as a single players game.

And it will be very, very hard to change too :(

This topic still up? I thought they were locked it after the CS response.

Here's my take on it and concerns for the future.

At launch they had sold well over 2 million copy's now obviously people do have lifes and some people just plain left they had to shut down an alarming rate of the servers. Yes over 100 I counted them out seperately. While I praise them for locking them and placing free transfers.

It's never a good sign when you have to take down server's after launch. The average life span of a MMO supposed to be a year and a half. The fact we are halfway through the year and they laid off an alarming rate of staff and locked down server's, doesn't sit well.

I just want our story's to continue. There are so many thing's that left to tie up in our story's. I don't want more daily's. I want to actually expand the current story line, since there are so many. I doubt being honest this will happen, if anything we will just get more maps.

I rarely come on the forums to shout, or bash. I am simply making a comment.

Upon looking in, I counted that over 100 separate servers have been "locked" I count them out slowly. What is the cause of this, and if they are locked will they ever be open?

I notice only about five servers actively open. Again, I love the direction of the game personallly. I love the story telling and no I'm not quitting no matter what. This isn't that kind of threat. Just as a paying customer generally concerned about this.

It's hard not to notice every time I log in.

Its 11 EU and 11 NA servers that are open to new character creation (you can play on a locked server and create toons there is you are already there).

What happened is that they opened far too many servers post launch when there were queues and have now been able to increase the caps on the servers. So BW consolidated the servers by offering people the chance to move onto one high pop server. At some time in the near future they will be merging the remaining accounts into destination servers. We could still have 1.3 million active subs as per the last report (note I am not claiming that we do have that) and they would probably all just about fit on the 25 destination servers (including the asia-pacific ones) especially if they raise the cap a bit more.

With the new server caps that have been seen by players (we know the current high pop servers can hold at least 3.8k people without queues) all the the servers could allow over 800k concurrent players, that is far too many servers, especially as BW have said they are looking at moving towards really big servers.

If they have sold 3 million copies of the game then having 1 million subscribers after 7-8 months that would be successful. Lots of people buy a game and then decide they don't like it enough to keep paying to play it. From a personal perspective I have tried quite a few MMOs and not continued playing after a couple of months because the sub did not seem worth it (EQ1, EQ2, Tabula Rasa, WHO, AoC, Aion, STO, GW) compared to the few that I did invest a lot of time in (WoW, LoTRO) and SWTOR which I plan to play long-term.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

With the new server caps that have been seen by players (we know the current high pop servers can hold at least 3.8k people without queues) all the the servers could allow over 800k concurrent players, that is far too many servers, especially as BW have said they are looking at moving towards really big servers.

If they have sold 3 million copies of the game then having 1 million subscribers after 7-8 months that would be successful. Lots of people buy a game and then decide they don't like it enough to keep paying to play it. From a personal perspective I have tried quite a few MMOs and not continued playing after a couple of months because the sub did not seem worth it (EQ1, EQ2, Tabula Rasa, WHO, AoC, Aion, STO, GW) compared to the few that I did invest a lot of time in (WoW, LoTRO) and SWTOR which I plan to play long-term.

dont see swtor has anything near 1mil subs other wise they wouldnt have merged servers true numbers will be in september when all the 6month subs + free months are up like myself

Edited by belizar

Addressing the underlined part...................yet you're still here.

Your hypocritical nature is on full display. If the game is so 'bad' please leave and let those of us that enjoy the game do so.

Maybe a little Wii action is more your speed?