The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

DPS MERCS and SORC GO AWAY

HaLeX

Seriously, when I have too many mercs and sorcs dps on my team its almost an instant loss. If you play these classes do your teamates a favor and switch to heals or reroll if you want to pvp. I cannot keep a merc alive long enough to make any difference. Now if you are the 1/100 who can outperform the real pvp classes then fine, but to the majority of you, your gimped toon is costing your team. Noone wants you in ranked and noone wants you in unranked either. Sad but true.

Ummm, how can i put this? HELL NO! I'll play my dps Sorc and if I end up on your team you'll like it. :p

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever I have a PT in my face they can spam interupt on any cast heals i have forcing me to switch to instant heals which are much weaker. Naturally that is when i need to bail or stun and run. I have never played PT so i couldnt tell you what skill they are using but most good PT's wont let you get a cast heal off. I think sorcs are better than mercs, but still ...

Whenever I have a PT in my face they can spam interupt on any cast heals i have forcing me to switch to instant heals which are much weaker. Naturally that is when i need to bail or stun and run. I have never played PT so i couldnt tell you what skill they are using but most good PT's wont let you get a cast heal off. I think sorcs are better than mercs, but still ...

Sorcs are even worse than mercs.

(Only casted heals, only 1 instant hot with cd on it)

And I can just imagine a interrupt, stun, pull combo to interrupt every heal.

But I haven't got my pyro pt to 50 yet, so I will see.

Sounds more like a "They killed me in PvP, so I am mad" article to be honest.

On my DPS Merc, I am able to break out 250k+ each WZ, which is usually 100k more than anyone else in the match, unless it's another merc, in which its about 100k.

250k man... thats nice

I'm leveling a merc now, just so I can troll the fotm classes when I beat them. Not having an interrupt is annoying as hell though.

Yeah my main is an Anni mara and Ive all but shelved my arsenal merc. Its kinda ridiculous when i attempt to play him in warzones. After I burn my 1 little CC I better burn the other guy down fast or its GG. Burning the other guy down aint happening usually cause if they have half a brain they're interrupting my TM cast thus preventing me from activating anything else in my arsenal.

In my guild we recently picked up 3 healers from a guild that was falling apart from inactivity. since one night we had 1 to many healers for rated our healing commando decided to switch to hybrid gunnery/assault to help DPS and holy crap. this guy was doing assault spec vanguard numbers on a commando. so just because alot of teams are running with these supposedly OP classes, there are places for DPS commandos and we also regularly have a DPS sage on our team as well. both PEOPLE perform well and top Damage charts right along side our sentinel and vanguard. they know how to play there class.

honestly most of these nerf threads should be started out with the title NERF PBKAC!! because 90% of the time it is the Person Between Keyboard And Chair that makes something OP not the class it self.

In my guild we recently picked up 3 healers from a guild that was falling apart from inactivity. since one night we had 1 to many healers for rated our healing commando decided to switch to hybrid gunnery/assault to help DPS and holy crap. this guy was doing assault spec vanguard numbers on a commando. so just because alot of teams are running with these supposedly OP classes, there are places for DPS commandos and we also regularly have a DPS sage on our team as well. both PEOPLE perform well and top Damage charts right along side our sentinel and vanguard. they know how to play there class.

honestly most of these nerf threads should be started out with the title NERF PBKAC!! because 90% of the time it is the Person Between Keyboard And Chair that makes something OP not the class it self.

If your vanguard do the same numbers as your merc then you vanguard is actually low skilled player.

Make me go away. I top damage boards regularly on my hybrid Sage alt in mediocre gear. I can only imagine what I'll be able to do in WH.

I'd do even more on a FOTM character? Maybe. But I'm still outperforming the majority of players, not to mention using my utility to disrupt DPS trains on healers (Force Wake is so good I feel almost dirty).

Damage is subjective though (maybe wrong word), Regardless of what spec i play on my sage I'm usually #1 in damage, often by a decent margin (even in ranked) however our damage is really just constant, not a real burst. Other than FoB and Turbulence, which dont seem to hit as hard after 1.3 (maybe cause i lost my adrenals). Those PT and Mara kill faster then us (even if they are lackluster defenced, glass cannons) So alot of people pick them first. I just stated it i can solo your average sent/mara (only hurt the rly good ones badly) and i can 1v1 most PT. I got off track maybe, idk, but in the end i ment to say, yeah i may have (example) 600k in a voidstar, and the PT or Mara may only have 400-500k, but i bet they ran through more people faster, despite what the kill count says. importance of damage placement.

I understand the argument that things are balanced because commandos have the ability to heal, but it doesn't hold up in reality. The DPS of my assault commando far outweighs the healing that I can do. So, just because I CAN heal doesn't mean that it's actually useful in a WZ unless I'm completely ignored and allowed to cast freely. Even then, the cast times/cool downs/ammo costs make it very inefficient to try to heal as a DPS spec. That being said, I would say that I top the DPS of my team 90% of the time unless I'm defending an objective. The problem with mando/merc is the utility. PT's and VG's can output the same or higher damage and also have grapple and area stuns. I would also point out that we're the only class without an ability to effect someone when they have full resolve. (I'm not counting a gunnery spec for PvP because that's just silly) All other classes can slow/root/pull a player with full resolve. (<please correct me if i'm wrong on this one) Stuns/slows/pulls/throws are often what win a match and our one KB that is plagued by lag just doesn't cut it.

I've won quite a few times with 3 dps sorcs on the team. I've even won a couple with 4.

l2p?

and really? you're complaining about them in unranked WZs?

I'd only take 1 dps sorc for rateds, and I wouldn't take a dps merc at all. But you're complaining about non-rateds.

People can do whatever they want in them. it's a game.

Edited by Synxos

yep all the skilled players chose maras and PTs, amirite?

I've done 750k damage multiple times on my Merc. But I know the subclass is gimped. Claiming otherwise would be like the professional cyclist who after coming in 6th place in a race with a 10 pund deadweight attached to his bike says, "There's nothing wrong with my bike, I just beat 90% of the people in this race!".

And the healing capability on Merc dps IS worthless. Compare that to the approximately 10% boost in productivity a PT Pyro gets from his free, instant cast taunts. For a same skill player, they will score 25% more on damage/protection/healing combined on a PT than on a Merc.

I attacked a Pyrotech player last night with 1/3 of his life left. I was full.

I rooted him, Dotted him up (I'm a Balance Sage in 5 piece WH, rest BM) and did everything in the book to keep him away from me.

Next thing I know, he's on top of me and in one Flame, my health went from full, to almost half. 2 hits later, I was dead.

His health went down to about 1/8th.

These guys are the WORST class for me to fight. Even Marauders are no where near as bad for me now a days. These Pyrotechs are just insane! I'll keep pushing forward, but something really needs to be addressed here.

I have no interest in subjective things.

I am late to the party here but this is one of the funniest things I've ever read on these forums. And this:

I have a degree in psychology and human behavior..

Was like Christmas.

Edited by AlyxDinas

The fact there are many bad players around doesn't make your sorcerer good fyi. I don't really believe sorcerers can do anything against focused dps of some good players which are probably marauders, pyros or smash spec jugs. "Tank" assassins or deception can also work. You will at least get 2k-3k from each gcd even you got full augmented, full modded war hero and even you use rakata fortitude stim which means you will have 20k hp and again you will die at most 3-4 gcds.

So yes as a sorc who is nearly Elite Warlord and definitely above average skilled i agree that no matter we are healer, full madness, full lightning or hybrid we will be nearly useless in warzones unless we get more survivability or burst.

Soon voidstar ties will be decided by the kills which will be even worse for us, civil war and novare coast are already very bad as you must stay at the range to interrupt or cap which will make you their focus.

I decided to reroll for rated as i won't ask my friends for a rated warzones spot as i don't want to be a liability for the team. If developers won't fix this sorry but there won't be any sorcerers in season 1 rated warzones. I am not happy about it but this is the truth.

If developers won't fix this sorry but there won't be any sorcerers in season 1 rated warzones. I am not happy about it but this is the truth.

If anything season 1 will be such a joke, with the wacked out class balance BW managed to achieve.

Mark my words more people will un-sub due to class imbalance and overall class discrimination. On top of that, rWZ DPS being nearly exclusive to mara/pt by giving them 10 to 20 time more DPS slots on average.

There are better balanced more well known and more in-depth pvp games coming out like GW2.

Only thing I can say is it takes some serious talents to trash such a gigantic IP.

There are better balanced more well known and more in-depth pvp games coming out like GW2.

whoa, I wouldn't be so quick to call their pvp balanced, more well known, or more in-depth.

the only thing I'd say it does better is open-world pvp(and it does this better by far). If that's what you mean by in depth, then yeah, i'd agree with that part. But the actual skills used in pvp are simpler than in swtor.

The pvp is FAR from balanced, and SWTOR is more well known, just because it's star wars. Everyone playing mmos has no doubt heard of both of them.

Edited by Synxos

I attacked a Pyrotech player last night with 1/3 of his life left. I was full.

I rooted him, Dotted him up (I'm a Balance Sage in 5 piece WH, rest BM) and did everything in the book to keep him away from me.

Next thing I know, he's on top of me and in one Flame, my health went from full, to almost half. 2 hits later, I was dead.

His health went down to about 1/8th.

These guys are the WORST class for me to fight. Even Marauders are no where near as bad for me now a days. These Pyrotechs are just insane! I'll keep pushing forward, but something really needs to be addressed here.

I'm taking it that you forgot to mention that he used a medpac, and his adrenal...

plus it seems like a learn to play issue. he should've only gotten one hit on you before you used overload and kited him.

I'm taking it that you forgot to mention that he used a medpac, and his adrenal...

plus it seems like a learn to play issue. he should've only gotten one hit on you before you used overload and kited him.

Explain to me how overload will allow you to "kite" him. Yes most of his burst is in close, but really? They have a bunch of decent 30m ranged attacks that they can still use, the PT being rooted for a few seconds means next to nothing. And guess what? Pull.

FIRE. Sorc dead.

Really, only a PT that knows nothing about sorc abilities doesn't kill you.

This whole thread made me LOL. First, OP. Stop snobbing it up and listen to yourself. If you think that DPS mercs have no place in PvP, then you are very mistaken. A well-run DPS merc is more reliable than a not-so-well-run Sniper or Operative. Marauders are a no-brainer for DPS, but they're about to get hit with the nerf-bat if the usual "sniffle sniffle whine whine" pattern holds.

In short, if a player can't run a DPS merc effectively, then that player should reroll to a Marauder since they obviously aren't smart enough for the tougher class..... at least until the probable Marauder nerf, when we will get a whole new set of QQs going on because "mah l33t pwnage marauder iz not so l33t no more". :p

This whole thread made me LOL. First, OP. Stop snobbing it up and listen to yourself. If you think that DPS mercs have no place in PvP, then you are very mistaken. A well-run DPS merc is more reliable than a not-so-well-run Sniper or Operative. Marauders are a no-brainer for DPS, but they're about to get hit with the nerf-bat if the usual "sniffle sniffle whine whine" pattern holds.

In short, if a player can't run a DPS merc effectively, then that player should reroll to a Marauder since they obviously aren't smart enough for the tougher class..... at least until the probable Marauder nerf, when we will get a whole new set of QQs going on because "mah l33t pwnage marauder iz not so l33t no more". :p

I loved this lol. I agreed with almost everything you said, and I actually have a 50 Commando, Sniper, and Marauder, which are 3 of the 4 classes you mentioned. My Commando is more geared than the other two, so I won't compare their dps per wz, but I WILL compare my Commando compared to most of my teams in both regular warzones and ranked's.

In regular warzones, whether I'm with a group or soloing, I'm almost always top dps. In ranked warzones, I'm top dps more often than not (and yes, we actually win about 70-80% of our games as a guild, so it's not that I have a bad team). So yes, Commandos/Mercs still have a place in PvP.