Why do so many players not buff themselves?

Bulwyf

Why is it that I might not have my own buff on me? Two main reasons.

- I recently logged in, or recently died, and forgot that I needed to refresh it.

- I didn't notice that it had faded, as it is not a permanent buff, but does hang around a long time before it needs to be refreshed.

Gripe follows:

As for the "all four buffs within one" - you assume too much. Not only am I a fairly recent player, but I rarely put in more than about 10 hours a week, AND am an alt-oholic. I have several characters, and none are above 40. While it is an impressive (to me) accomplishment that you have at least four characters at 50, please try to avoid implying that it is a requirement, and that those who don't are somehow lesser. In another game (and not the one you likely just thought of), I was a fairly hard core raider. I have since lost interest in that kind of stress in my game. I am now so very casual that even casuals tend to call me casual.

I will try to remember to buff myself, but I'm no longer worried about every little detail, and sometimes they escape me. Oddly enough, I really like helping others, and what reminds me to buff myself is when I go to buff others and then realize that I needed to rebuff myself.

you only need to complete chapter 2 with a character which is done quite fast. you say your an alt-oholic, you will enjoy doing it too.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it's usually because I wasn't paying enough attention, and my buffs ran out. So, now I'm super hyper vigilant, and have been known to renew buffs every 15 minutes.

Lol, I renew my buffs like every 2 min.. it is just some kind of habit of mine but surely I am not the only one with such habit? :p

There are ppl. in starter zones who just don't know...I don't think I really understood it when I first started playing SWTOR. I do agree it's nice to have the 4 buffs. Relics are another item that a fair number of newer players don't understand it's a good idea to get them.

This strikes me as particularly amusing, since in every MMO I've ever played, you can just right click buffs to cancel them, if you really want to. And last I checked it works that way in SWTOR too.

Maybe so, but as far as I know that's a relatively new feature in the MMO world. In my experience, the older games that give you the ability to cancel buffs did not have that at launch.

They do steal them if you are fighting a group of linked mobs and you haven't done damage to one or more of them yet. You might argue that they aren't mine if I haven't damaged them yet, but if they are linked and I have them crowd controlled or they are attacking and damaging me and/or my companion, then I do consider them to be my claim. In any case, it's rude and uncalled for for someone to interfere with what I'm doing and potentially putting me in danger by breaking my stuns. I do not get credit for my quests when others roll through and kill my linked mobs. (Note that I'm not talking about any of the other mobs in the same area that aren't linked together. Those are fair game to anyone.) It has happened time and time again to the point where I try to wait until anyone visible to me has left the area or are preoccupied with something else before I start my fights. So no, I'm not going to buff or thank someone who comes through and robs me of my time because they can't seem to find their own mobs to kill, even if there are hundreds of mobs available other than mine. It's a huge pet peeve for me. Thank goodness for the instanced areas where I can handle my own fights in peace!

Amen!

OT - I will often be unbuffed because I hadn't noticed they had dropped off and frankly, levelling is largely a face-roll in this game anyway.

Edited by Galafray

Why you ask?

IMO, three of the 4 buffs are crap and you really wont see that much difference with them on you, thats why. The only buff worth anything is the crit buff. I don't even know why they bothered putting those buffs in the game in the first place, a total waste of time. They are more of an annoyance really. It's not like in the games of old where you saw a big differece in character effectiveness with buffs such as Everquest or Dark Age of Camelot.

The Trooper buff is crap. But how can you say that the Consular/Inquisitor buff is worthless?

Increases the target's Strength, Aim, Willpower and Cunning by 5% and internal and elemental damage reduction by 10% - that is very, very good.

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of BUFFS; skills I have acquired over a very long career. BUFFS that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will BUFF you.

rofl, nicely done. I tip my hat, sir.

When I first log in, I generally don't bother buffing until I get somewhere I'll actually be fighting, so standing around in the Fleet or at a spaceport, I may be unbuffed. /shrug

As far as buffing other people goes, I'll throw buffs for someone who doesn't seem to have what I've got, or they have it but it's running low (i.e., it doesn't seem like they have the ability to cast it for themselves). I'll mention, though, I've never seen so little return-buffs as when doing dailies on Belsavis. I know they're tedious and all, but why the lack of warm, fuzzy return buffs? I can't imagine ALL of these folks are measuring their DPS or what-have-you and are mad about me buffing them... but maybe they are. :confused:

One of the things I like to do when running into players that I'm not grouped with is check to see if they are buffed. If they are missing any of the buffs I can give them then I buff them. I have seen a large number of players and it appears to be growing that are out running around doing quests and fighting that have zero buffs on them. How do you not know that your class has its own buff? It just makes me shake my head to see how many people are running around hurting themselves by not doing something as basic as buffing.

Has this been something you guys have encountered as well? I used to feel a little irked when I would buff a person and expect them to return the favor with a buff I didn't have but after seeing so many people running around with no buffs I've stopped being irked by it.

Buffs are not needed for general running around killing, grinding, etc...they never were. The only time I ever make sure I'm buffed is for certain elites (while solo), pvp and raids. The buffs are rather insignificant and I've yet to have any need of them outside of the particular instances mentioned.

The Trooper buff is crap. But how can you say that the Consular/Inquisitor buff is worthless?

Increases the target's Strength, Aim, Willpower and Cunning by 5% and internal and elemental damage reduction by 10% - that is very, very good.

It's actually pretty weak until you get to endgame.

5% of 100 is 5.

But 5% of 1000 is 50.

Buffs are not needed for general running around killing, grinding, etc...they never were. The only time I ever make sure I'm buffed is for certain elites (while solo), pvp and raids. The buffs are rather insignificant and I've yet to have any need of them outside of the particular instances mentioned.

um they're still needed in the sense that it's easier to kill things.