Devs: Alacrity

Baarabas

Thats the idea anyway, not holding my breath.

your quote is from the first terminator movie,where kyle reese is explaining to sarah connor the consequences of having a terminator after you

i are be can haz nerd points +10 XD

i seriously liked your quote though

Here is the Quote:

Community Q&A: May 11th, 2012

Freeborne: Alacrity as a stat seems to be encouraged in "Energy Based' classes (Troopers/Smugglers) through our talent trees. However, Alacrity seems to be a terrible secondary stat for us. The faster we use abilities, the faster we lose our energy - and the less energy we have, the less energy we regenerate. Are there any plans to review Alacrity, or at least its place in some class talent trees?

Austin: I agree. We're exploring ways of improving Alacrity that we hope to get working for a future Game Update. As much as I'd like to, I can't provide details on this plan yet. It's possible that we'll address passive Alacrity boosts in the skill trees, but those changes need to be solid and work for the long haul; it would be unacceptable to have a ‘temporary’ skill in place that we planned on removing at a later date.

Here is the link:

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-may-11th-2012

It has been a minute since we heard anything on this.

It has been a minute since we heard anything on this.

You mean two months, right?

Anyway, I want an answer on this too, as my Lightning spec Sorcerer uses alacrity to help alleviate his annoying cast times (which still get interrupted and made longer by damage, plus require no movement and reduces maneuverability). The spec rarely gets touched in patch notes and the downsides to alacrity really make it hard to stay viable in either PVE or PVP

The problem with Alacrity isn't entirely just that it's subpar for some specs and classes, but the whole stat system. This is the problem I see:

Sorcerer: Uses Alacrity, Doesn't use Accuracy

Sniper Marksmen: Can use both

Marauder: Only uses Accuracy

How do you balance that? Accuracy prevents damage loss, Alacrity delivers damage faster (and sort of prevents loss by being able to finish and move instead of interrupting). And then you have a few classes that can use both stats. Even if you suppose that the class using both just has less of each, it seems like a strange system to try to juggle.

It was stated by one of the Devs that Alacrity was being looked at? Is there any word on this yet?

I'll admit I wasn't paying much attention, but I thought in one of the recent patches they revamped some of the abilities to give both alacrity and resource regen improvement. So when you're under the affects of the faster cast times, you're resource regenerates faster too.

Though, admittedly doesn't do anything to help alacrity as a stat on gear. Still pretty much worthless there due to the resource management issues. Rather hit harder at the same energy cost, (power, crit, or surge) than hit harder at a higher energy cost (alacrity).

edit:

The problem with Alacrity isn't entirely just that it's subpar for some specs and classes, but the whole stat system. This is the problem I see:

Sorcerer: Uses Alacrity, Doesn't use Accuracy

Sniper Marksmen: Can use both

Marauder: Only uses Accuracy

How do you balance that? Accuracy prevents damage loss, Alacrity delivers damage faster (and sort of prevents loss by being able to finish and move instead of interrupting). And then you have a few classes that can use both stats. Even if you suppose that the class using both just has less of each, it seems like a strange system to try to juggle.

Not sure that makes much sense. There are always classes that get more or less out of different stats. Knights don't get much from willpower. Consulars do. Tank guardians don't much care about surge. Really dig defense.

Edited by GnatB

The cap on activation speed from alacrity is 30%.

The devs have already fixed the alacrity problem for scoundrels when they made diagnostic scan a viable way of healing. We changed our rotations and now alacrity is a nice stat for us scoundrels. Talking about healers obviously, you have 0 reasons to take that feat otherwise.

Edited by Spoletta
typo

In 1.3 they changedsome classes talents i.e. the bh talent in dps tree from alacrity to armer pen. Hopefully that's not the changes mentioned above in the post response from the devs. Imo nothing special needs to be done with the stat id be hppy if they just did wht every mmo does and give alacrity two functions one being to cast faster the other to regen faster. Now I wouldn't be opposed to say making a talent which converts alacrity to accuracy for classes who use both because of one tree being say a healer and the other being a dps. Then also making the penalty for not having enuff hit in pvp actuall matter so it would create balance in a way where maybe without x amount of accuracy a cc could be resisted or missed creating a extra layer on top of the resolve mechanic.

In 1.3 they changedsome classes talents i.e. the bh talent in dps tree from alacrity to armer pen. Hopefully that's not the changes mentioned above in the post response from the devs. Imo nothing special needs to be done with the stat id be hppy if they just did wht every mmo does and give alacrity two functions one being to cast faster the other to regen faster. Now I wouldn't be opposed to say making a talent which converts alacrity to accuracy for classes who use both because of one tree being say a healer and the other being a dps. Then also making the penalty for not having enuff hit in pvp actuall matter so it would create balance in a way where maybe without x amount of accuracy a cc could be resisted or missed creating a extra layer on top of the resolve mechanic.

Correction the BH skill you are referring to is Advanced Targeting. They changed it from Accuracy to Armor Pen. The BH skill System Calibrations still grants Alacrity. There have been a few changes that were associated with skills with Alacrity, but no buff to Alacrity or answer to the overall issue has been fielded.

Good point about alacrity and regen though.

I have never understood why there is so much Alacrity gear for the classes that use energy (Smuggler, Trooper, Agent and Hunter), since the more abilities you use in the same amount of time the less regen you have on your energy supply. It's pretty counterintuitive to take a class made with such a blatant focus on rhythm in times when you can do it and use it all up if everything goes to hell and say 'Hey guys, cast spells faster, I promise it can't hurt!"

On all of my energy-using classes I avoid alacrity like the plague; it does absolutely nothing positive and adds something negative to energy regen (which is the last thing you need.).

Though to be fair, I may just be doing something wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a change for Alacrity:

1) it affects the regen rate by 'X' 6amount

2) it also reduces the CD timer by the same amount it affects the cast time.

I like this, but CD redux cant get too crazy. I still wouldnt be upset with improved cast ratios and regen.

• 3 weeks later...