New Playable Race in 1.4 (Cathar to stay or go?)

Briseius

No, when did humanoid cats come into the Star Wars Canon anyway?

Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith 1: Masters and Students of the Force comic in 1994 was the first appearance of a Cathar... but actually there was a humanoid cat in the Star Wars Holiday Special from 1978 which has since been retconed to be a Cathar... so ya they have been in SW canon pretty much since the beginning...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Yes to cathar and yes to more races this is star wars there are a ton of races. bring me cereans!

2) because if this goes well we can see more in the future maybe a 3-5 pack bundle for 10-20 bucks id buy that

cathar are a test to see how well adding new races goes with bioware/swtor gamers

3) Cereans must be added soon i demand it... :)

4) Yes Cathar should be a republic only race i think there too goody to be imp but i'll take trandoshan for imp side :)

5) they do but there allso diffrent i like.

6) we need more slide bars on character creation so we can make our characters broad or thin, so we arn't all the same body type. having more fur would be nice kinda like a lions mane. some pictures i've seen of cathar look lionish. side note GIVE RATTATAKI HAIR THERE NOT ALL BALD.

1) Yes or No to Cathar being the new race?

They're not a bad choice, just don't feel like the obvious one. Well it's happening anyway :p

2) If Yes, why? If No, why not?

They seem to work, I mean they're a companion for the trooper at the moment.

3) If Yes, Species you would also like to see, if any? If No, Species you would rather see, if any?

On the subject of companions, I don't care if they can't speak common, I want Jawa, Wookiee, Devaronian, Mon Calimari and Kaleesh. Although I think it's just Jawa and Wookiee that don't normally speak common.

4) Do you feel Cathar are too Republic aligned to fit well as a section for the Empire?

Legacy lets me play a Jedi Knight as a Sith, that's a pretty big point. Also, I'm sure they can alter one or two quests. I'm currently playing a Zabrak Bounty Hunter and there's a dialogue option for you to rebuke the officers reference to the Cathar as "dirty aliens" to which he replies something like "Obviously not you, it's just these guys on this planet."

5) Do you feel Cathar like most already implemented species resemble humans to greatly?

Apart from droids everyone seems to have two arms and two legs. Apart from hulking beasts like Khem Val and small characters like Blizz, I'd say every race seems roughly the same in terms of height.

It's just colour of skin, and a few minor things such as horns on Gault that change the way that armor would be equipped. It'd look just fine, I'm sure Jorgen doesn't have problems.

6) Addition Pro/Cons towards or against Cathar?

I dunno if a new race is something to get too excited about. I mean as a WoW player up until Cata Beta I didn't feel like any of the races changed much. The Cataclysm races were of almost no relevance to the story.

I guess I'd like a reason for Cathar more than anything. If they provide sufficient reason for Cathar other than *poof* Cathar forgot "Minor Existence" and learned "Playable Race".

The Draenei and Blood Elfs in WoW were an integral part of the story of Burning Crusade, the Draenei had fled from "Demons and stuff" and the Blood Elfs had been betrayed by their leader.

Side Note: I'd much rather see additional story being developed than new races, but I guess since the Cathar have already been implemented within the game as companion and npcs then I suppose it probably didn't take too long to sort it out. (I don't know about programming, but it seems like that would hasten the project). Although with that same note, Wookiees, Jawas, Mon Calimari... hell even droids could be a playable character.

Small > Medium > Large > Fat?

T7-O1 > 2VR8 > SCORPIO > M1-4X

But of course, we'd need to change the dialogue into droid sounds.

Just spit balling more than anything :)

Edited by Arcarii
Change font colours :)

1) Yes or No to Cathar being the new race? No

2) If Yes, why? If No, why not? To me they do not make sense as they are looked down on by the empire even worse than other aliens based on one being owned as a pet on Balmorra by an imperial.

3) If Yes, Species you would also like to see, if any? If No, Species you would rather see, if any? Chagrian, they look awesome. Also, a playable droid race would be cool

4) Do you feel Cathar are too Republic aligned to fit well as a section for the Empire? Yes

5) Do you feel Cathar like most already implemented species resemble humans to greatly? No i think for the purposes of smooth gameplay the races will need to be somewhat humanoid

6) Addition Pro/Cons towards or against Cathar? IMO cat people are a little too cartoonie

1) Yes or No to Cathar being the new race? No (Yes, overall, but not the very next species we'll see.)

2) If Yes, why? If No, why not? There are other species that are much more ingrained and fundamental to the Star Wars universe that should have 'first dibs' to being the next one that is playable. The only reason they were picked is because the first KotOR had the Cathar, Juhani.

3) If Yes, Species you would also like to see, if any? If No, Species you would rather see, if any? Barabel, Bith, Bothan, Duros, Ithorian, Kel Dor, Mon Calamari, Quarren, Rodian, Sullustan, Togruta, and Wookie are all severely prominent races that should be represented. And as a side note: Cyborg is NOT a species.

4) Do you feel Cathar are too Republic aligned to fit well as a section for the Empire? Yes.

5) Do you feel Cathar like most already implemented species resemble humans too greatly? Yes.

6) Addition Pro/Cons towards or against Cathar? I'm not opposed to Cathar being added, but all the other species I mentioned deserve higher billing due to their importance in Star Wars lore.

Yes

I am a kotor fan and that was my first exposure to Cathar. It makes sense to me for a continuation of kotor to include cathar above most other races that are currently unavailable.

3) If Yes, Species you would also like to see, if any? If No, Species you would rather see, if any?

Selkath, not as playable characters, but I would like to see their involvement as npcs since they were an important race in kotor (I saw one on Balmora but he had nothing to do with the story). As for playable races I don't have much of a preference beyond the inclusion of Cathar.

4) Do you feel Cathar are too Republic aligned to fit well as a section for the Empire?

Make them like other republic aligned races: available on Imperial side once you've unlocked it in your legacy. Although maybe a Bounty hunter could be cathar without needing to unlock it, since bounty hunters are generally aligned to themselves first and foremost and not to either side.

5) Do you feel Cathar like most already implemented species resemble humans too greatly?

Doesn't matter, and we should all keep in mind that any race that does not speak basic isn't going to mesh well with the character audio the gamemakers went to the trouble of accumulating, and any race too divergent to humans is just going to be weird when you get to the companion romances.

Not for Cathar but for races in general I would like to see some acknowledgement from npc's in the appropriate circumstances that you are playing as a certain race. Perhaps difficult to impliment since npc voice recording is done already but it would be a nice addition.

Edited by Kushluk_

1) Yes or No to Cathar being the new race? Yes.

2) If Yes, why? If No, why not? Any new species is addendum to the diversity. If this game thrives (and I hope it will), we are going to see many and many new different races in the future. We can just as well start with Cathar, I'm fine with it. Being a KOTOR-lover, if I go through the list of species of companions from back then, we have them present here: Twi'lek, Miraluka... and Cathar is missing so far. My personal opinion of Juhani aside, I think there will be enough people who will appreciate this.

3) If Yes, Species you would also like to see, if any? If No, Species you would rather see, if any? I have always wanted to see Mon Calamari, but it may be too non-human for Bioware to implement. I don't really care that much, or can't think of anything very specific at the moment.

4) Do you feel Cathar are too Republic aligned to fit well as a section for the Empire? Maybe. You can of course have slaves - no problem with Inquisitors, then; and Bounty Hunters can be probably more or less anything. Somebody had mentioned this

thing with the Cathar prince being released on Belsavis by the Empire, making it possible for them to start working together.

So I don't see that big problem per se - the main problem being in the missions on Taris where people are talking to you like "you know, we got those ugly savage beasts here, disgusting creatures, mind slaughtering them all?" But maybe they'll put in a few more dialogue options - if that's possible.

5) Do you feel Cathar like most already implemented species resemble humans to greatly? Yes, but that is not a problem. Bioware had announced in the very beginning it is aiming to introduce more or less human-like species. In fact, thinking back, given how close Cathar are to humans, it is surprising it wasn't implemented earlier. So, totally going for it. In the logic of the game, it is a must-have.

6) Addition Pro/Cons towards or against Cathar? Cathar have already been given quite large role in the SWTOR universe, so it's only fitting we have them as playable race, being the close-to-human species they are.

Structure:

My vote on this would be no, although it's a bit late..as they are coming.

Not Star Wars-ie enough for me. When I think of Star Wars, races like Rodians, Ithorians, Trandoshans, even Wookies which i dont like...come to mind. Cathar simply doesn't. Just feels like another bad choice to me. I like the game, but I feel they designers stumbled when choosing races.

They all look too much like Humans, either with different colors, or an added tentacle, or patch of circuitry.

Rodians, Trandoshans, Ithorians...heck..Id even replace Cyborg with a straight Droid option and have fun trying to be IG-88 or something. Could have some unique looks and such. Of course there would have to be a bunch of options available in the character creator...which falls a bit short IMO.

Not sure.

5) Do you feel Cathar like most already implemented species resemble humans to greatly?

Yes.

The best way i can sum it up is this, when you first heard a new race was coming, (and keeping in mind this was Star Wars), Im sure your mind had a few notions. The excitement of wondering what race it was. When you heard it was the Cathar...did you honestly feel a jump of excitement? I'd expect the number of people who can HONESTLY answer yes, to be a very small niche.

Personally, I went..meh...ok, and had to look them up!! Honestly, if someone has to do that you missed the mark IMO.

Edited by RichT

During E3 2012, EA previews a video with future features for SWTOR. One of these features was a new playable species, the Cathar. After having browsed the forums in search of information and concerns with this being the implemented species i came across almost an equal split of love / hate towards the humanoid cats. So in hopes to consolidate the overall opinion of the community regarding the issue I've created this thread as a sort of questionnaire.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Structure:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank-you for taking the time to read and involve yourself with this questionnaire, hopefully we can shine some light on how the community as a whole feels about the Cathar.

1) Yes.

2) Theyre going to be adding more and more races throughout the game's lifetime. They gotta start somewhere.

3) Rodians. I would have loved to have my BH be a Rodian with an itchy trigger finger. Wookies, and Jawas.

4) The Cathar, I believe, are more of a neutral race. You just see a larger number of them supporting the Republic.

5) Meh, no opinion. I like humanoid Species.

6) Don't really have any additional comments.

[i--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Structure:

1.Yes

2. Because they're my favorite race and I resubbed just to be able to play one.

3. Toruga and maybe Duros

4. Let them be SI and maybe Bounty hunters at the start. Should be everything on the rep side

5. I'll take 8 human looking species people will actually play over 4 troll looking that no one would ever touch

6. MORE SPECIES YAY

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Structure:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) NO

2) No b/c they look like the monkeys from Wizard of Oz; they aren't appealing at all to me. Extremely lame. If this race was more hunch-back and didn't stand up just like a human with a holloween kitty mask on i'd consider it. There are so many other races they could add instead :(

3) Kel Dor, Nautolan, Togruta, Gormak, Trandoshan, Ugnaught, Rodian, Yoda's Species (only if you have legacy level 45 or 50 and when paid species change is available).

4) Honestly, they made this game in the Old Republic era for a reason and need to look into what races would be COOL for the game rather than 'oh this race doesn't have a very big diplomatic barrier lets add it'. If you have to make a cool race that is Empire only, and another cool one for Republic only, FINE! But add an interesting race. To me these humans with whiskers... anyway

5) YES my gosh. Cathar in this game look like humans with a kitty-cat holloween mask. Hunchback would be nice or something to make them look agile. Its super disappointing - HOWEVER its an added Race from a patch so you can't really be too upset over this hehe.

6) Pros - I can kill them in PvP.

Cons - We'll have to look at them... ;\

This youtube video below displays all the species listed above and many more for those interested:

Edited by Warlord_Maliken

• 2 weeks later...
During E3 2012, EA previews a video with future features for SWTOR. One of these features was a new playable species, the Cathar. After having browsed the forums in search of information and concerns with this being the implemented species i came across almost an equal split of love / hate towards the humanoid cats. So in hopes to consolidate the overall opinion of the community regarding the issue I've created this thread as a sort of questionnaire.

Structure:

Thank-you for taking the time to read and involve yourself with this questionnaire, hopefully we can shine some light on how the community as a whole feels about the Cathar.

1) No.

2) Cathar is not imperial aligned at all and i can only see a cathar serving the republic, having it as an imperial would be wrong due to the matter they are hunted by the empire on Taris and they do not fit as sith, and i cannot think of any cathar sith expect Juhani but she is not even an sith lord or any sith at all she is just a rouge dark jedi and not really a dark robe-wearing kind, like no cathar is. It would be better if they did one imperial race aswell if they are to have a cathar race, and they should make two new classes with that.

3) Quarren (squidfaced rivals to the calamarians on Mon Calamari), Rodian, Ithorian, Duros, Aqualish (spider-looking faces), Trandoshan, Gran, Gand, Klatooinian and finally Nikto, i don't mean to add all but these are the sugestions i whould want a spieces from.

4) Yes, like i said in 2).

5) Yes, more exotic spieces that are more non-humanoid whould make this game feel more star wars.

6) - None.

Edited by Adrian_Kajling

If they add I think mon calamari(water world), bothawui(crime world), mandalor, csilla(chiss home world), dathomir(rancors and witches), duro, geonosis, kalee(home world of general grievous), kessel, kuat, ossus(ancient Jedi world), rattatak(rattataki home world), or raxus prime(junk planet).

For some of thies planets if they add them to the game they could add the races that belong to the worlds.

Also yes for cathar :)

1 yes

2 it should be a fun race to play

3 i would love to see Kel Dors and bothens added but also wookies, jawas, and yoda's species would be sweet

4 no. the first cathar i ever heard about was a fallen jedi named juhani

5 maybe but i really don't think more non human races work how long would missions take if you were a hutt and had to slither every where.

6 none really there already some in the game i just think there should be more race based conversations and issues ie, i doubt on korriban that a pure blood sith would be a slave or treated like one during inquisitor training.

For anyone saying that the Cathar do not fit in the Empire your not seeing the whole picture. Let's do the classes.

Bounty Hunter Cathar, makes perfect sense your a bounty hunter any species could be one

Sith Cathar, it's said over and over again that they will take ANYONE force sensitive and train them on Korriban, most likely die during training, safe to say some Cathar made it through.

Imperial Agent Cathar, doing the class mission they talk a lot about how you're an alien (if your a non-human) so being a Cathar would fit into that as well.

And as someone else stated already during the Imperial Missions in Belsavis

You rescue a Cathar rebelled who was opposed to joining the republic, so clearly their are Imperial fans within the Cathar

Edited by CthulhuRyleh

• 3 weeks later...

Yes.

i think they are very cool and they are in the game as jedi and as troppes or another kind of soldiers.

a Toguta (azhara), Nautolan the Devaronian could be cool to and the Ortolan could be !"¤% awsome!!

Yes i dont think it will work very well as empire player i havent seen one of the race who is with the empire.

no i think they look great very well done :D

dont really have some but the Ortolan would be *********** awsome (the little blue elephant thing can be found on hoth :D