SWTOR "looking at free-to-play"?

Abominant

IGN didn't write the article here is the original article

http://www.gamestm.co.uk/discuss/star-wars-the-old-republic-we-are-looking-at-free-to-play-says-lead-designer/

its no longer there

what you read was an article by IGN ABOUT the original article.

Well....IGN has not taken it down..lol. They must feel it has some merit to it. As does MMO Champ. Once something like that is out , a lot of web sites will jump on it like a hungry hawk on a mouse. lol. BioWare should make a offcial post refuting it and saying it was not something they as whole are considering. Failing to do so will only lead to supporting the comment in the post.

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can make that assumption if you want. I'lll just look at the facts: Something was quoted as being said by a developer, a few hours later the article gets pulled.

You asked for a response before and said you unsubbed because no response came. Yet, here is the response: Article was pulled.

So.. what now?

A PR move is hardly a response. My sub runs out on the 18th, after that I no longer care.

Well....IGN has not taken it down..lol. They must feel it has some merit to it. As does MMO Champ. Once something like that is out , a lot of web sites will jump on it like a hungry hawk on a mouse. lol. BioWare should make a offcial post refuting it and saying it was not something they as whole are considering. Failing to do so will only lead to supporting the comment in the post.

If you honestly believe they are not even considering it, you are out of your mind.

Well they repeatably said you can't bolt on free-2-play to their game engine. By the looks of things though, we now only have a few 100,000 players. If they don't do anything about the subs they will probably sunset.

Complete rubbish. If you just look at the numbers of people reported as being in Fleet on the destination servers (and there are still servers that have not transferred) you are easily surpassing a few 100,000 players. That excludes all the people on planets, in FPs and OPs.

rofl they don't need to take it down. Even if it turns out to be a complete lie because IGN isn't doing the reporting they are reporting on an article. That's why they link to the article and say

In an interview with gamestm,

also I wouldn't consider IGN or even Kotaku as big on journalistic integrity.

Or, because the Bioware guy was taken out of context. If Bioware gave an official statement to this site, they would have either been under an NDA or the statements wouldn't have been so vague. What probably happened is Bioware's Lawyers just called the site and demanded that they take it down for misquoting the Bioware employee.

Make no mistake though, they didn't take the article down because they posted it prematurely. If they were under an NDA, they wouldn't have posted it at all until the NDA was up.

IGN and Massively now have the article up :) This reminds me of the NGE. When that got leaked and was taken down and then one month later SWG announced the NGE. The forums were full of people saying SWG would never go that route and remove all those classes and change so much. Well we see how that went...

Edited by Rhysling

However, I do not think it will fully f2p. Just till a certain level. Which is 15 :) That's what they are talking about

I hope you are right but BioWare Lead Designer Emmanuel Lusinchi said this:

"We are looking at free-to-play, but I can't tell you in much detail. We have to be flexible and adapt to what is going on."

From Massively:

BioWare Lead Designer Emmanuel Lusinchi dropped a word-bomb on the Star Wars: The Old Republic community, stating that the game may be heading in the direction of free-to-play. Lusinchi said that the studio is investigating possibilities: "We are looking at free-to-play, but I can't tell you in much detail. We have to be flexible and adapt to what is going on."

This comes out of an interview in GamesTM magazine, in which Lusinchi addressed the challenges of being competitive in a largely F2P industry. While SWTOR has a large playerbase, it lost 400,000 subscriptions from its peak earlier this year as well as several members of its dev team.

Lusinchi says that the challenge isn't just that SWTOR is a subscription-based game, but that there's a lot of great options in the field. "If it was just free-to-play games and they weren't very good it wouldn't even be a question," he said, "but there are definitely good games out there and good games coming out, so of course all of this competition impacts your plan with what you want to do."

Of course we did hear about the limited free trial at E3, but this interview seems to indicate the possibility of a move to full F2P in SWTOR's future.

Can some one at BW confirm this?

I hope its is false. I don't wan't to see this game go F2P.

If you honestly believe they are not even considering it, you are out of your mind.

Lol! I do think they are considering it. The original post to me made it clear that lead designer was not refering to any FTP to level 15 stuff when he said they have to be flexible and adjust according to the way the model is leading.

I leveld my character at launch, I was the lucky bunch to play in a medium server at its best.

Then I leveled another one in highest populated server.

Today Im playing at that server, still good.

All that time I was faithful to Bioware and SWTOR and never went away. It was a great game that was highly overhyped to godlike expectations. But it had endless growing potential. No game made it to awesome point in a year.

BUT I cannot endure a F2P system. It is pretty much declaring that "This game is lost and done for, we will try to milk you losers with cash shop" statement. And I fail to understand, more than half of the community is pleased with final step of server transfers except total whiners, the game is living its golden age right now.

I am not saying "never go free" but It is TOO early for such step. If this goes live, Bioware will brand themselves as "We really f*ked this game up" and will lose another ever-believer customer here, FOR GOOD.

Edited by Ravagexe

I don't see it mentioned anywhere on here http://www.swtor.com/ so I'll wait and see what happens.

Even if they go F2P I'll still continue to play, it makes no difference to me at all.

Why do I get the feeling that if this was any other MMO, the reaction might be a bit more *ahem* positive? Hmm?

...just sayin'

F2P is the future of mmos. Many F2P also have p2p, more open access. It really depends on the game.

To be accurate "Hybrid" is the future. That is a mix of P2P with full content access and some extrabonuses or F2P with limited access where you use money to unlock the access that the P2P players get from their sub.

It really is too bad, people hear F2P and go "OMG FAILURE".

I don't get why MMO players are so unwilling to change. F2P is going to be the standard and closing your eyes and going "I WONT F2P" will only make you miss out on many great games. Charging a sub when there are so many high profile MMO's in the market is not going to work.

A lot of us have tried F2P and hate it. It has nothing to do with "closing our eyes and blah blah blah". We've played both and prefer the sub model.

That lead designer - he's just not good with PR. Here's what he said during the layoff debacle:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/28/swtor-lead-designer-on-bioware-austin-lay-offs-we-live-in-tough-economic-times/

Blaming "tough economic times" and saying MMOs are just tough to do probably isn't how BW wanted to spin the downsizing.

The correct answer to any questions on F2P was that they're happy with their current model but will respond to subscriber feedback, or words to that effect. Definitely not what he said.

What an awe-inspiring article. My favorite part:

“I think we did good. I think the game is really fun. We have subscription numbers that many of our competitors will envy, maybe not all the competitors, but we’re doing good. When I look at what is in the plan, in the prototype I get to play every day, some of those things are truly spectacular. Well, I think so. The players will judge!”

We have numbers our competitors would envy! Well, not all... but lots! Some things are truly spectacular. Well, I think... you can judge.

Edited by Ravager

Seeing other news articles did report on this now, I do expect a EA/Bioware statement concerning this to happen soon

Thing is though, this is just more proof of how our media system doesn't work. Someone posts something and everyone just picks it up without first consulting with the source of the news. These are moments where quality media and 'easy hits' media show themselves.

I like how Massively currently has a last line stating the origin article was pulled though, wonder how they'll pick it up now. My guess, they are on the phones as I type this. --edit-- retracted statement --edit--

Edited by Devlonir

If this game does go f2p i'm headed back to Rift. Or i might actually dust off the old 360 and see what's out there in the world of console games

Get ready for a rude awakening then. Nothing like dropping $60 on Assassins Creed 17 and the ubisoft logo pops up midgame selling you some optional chapters that introduce major characters etc. $60 only gets you about half of the game including locked DLC content on the disc itself.

IGN and Massively now have the article up :) This reminds me of the NGE. When that got leaked and was taken down and then one month later SWG announced the NGE. The forums were full of people saying SWG would never go that route and remove all those classes and change so much. Well we see how that went...

Yeah and MMO Champ from my experences are careful about posting stuff which they feel is not reliable. Usaully they post stuff they feel is prettty factual and they do sometimes warn such ariticles may not be true. On this article they only said it is not set in stone.

that seems kind of impossible since Sony didn't even know they where doing the NGE till 1 week before it happened.

What an awe-inspiring article. My favorite part:

We have numbers our competitors would envy! Well, not all... but lots! Some things are truly spectacular. Well, I think... you can judge.

LOL - that's exactly it. That guy cracks me up. He sounds like he'd be a cool guy to grab a drink with.

On the one hand it's refreshing Lusinchi is so bad at PR-speak, on the other hand you think he probably shouldn't be sitting down with interviewers without an EA press person right next to him to clarify remarks.

Edited by jgelling

What bugs me, really bugs me, is that so many gaming media outlets, just love to dump on TOR. Even the positive articles have a huge side of 'Ha ha!" to them.

I personally, never dreamed that I'd like TOR as much as I do and I'm glad I gave it a chance, but it's a weird feeling to love a game that is so consistently reviled...it's so weird.

...feeling like I'm the only one havin' a good time here. o_O

Edited by JediElf

Yeah and MMO Champ from my experences are careful about posting stuff which they feel is not reliable. Usaully they post stuff they feel is prettty factual and they do sometimes warn such ariticles may not be true. On this article they only said it is not set in stone.

MMO champion doesn't have the article up they only do WoW news.

Do you know a game that became more successful and gained more players after going F2P?

DDO and LoTRO. Player numbers rose (number of people choosing the P2P option also went up) and revenue rose significantly.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins