What will stop new people from rolling on the old servers?

Reevax

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The transfers are "optional" but honestly just about EVERYONE is going to transfer off their servers save for a few who want to be kings in their own kingdom or something....but seriously though the costs to keep those dead servers up just for all the inactive accounts and the few people who remain behind doesn't make any sense. They will eventually close down those servers and give people a warning that they have to transfer or they will lose their characters or something.

that's a good question.. and a good answer lol

I'd imagine that the servers will be kept open for transfers for a short time, so if new people roll on dead servers they can transfer over. Eventually they'll have to start removing some of the servers though, it's been a huge consolidation, and having so many empty servers serves no purpose in the long run.

but seriously though the costs to keep those dead servers up just for all the inactive accounts and the few people who remain behind doesn't make any sense.

This is the part that most people don't understand in regards to dead servers. They are on lease for an unknown amount of time (most likely till December), they have to pay for them regardless of whether they use them or not.

At this point, they have no reason to shut them down. If a new player mistakenly rolls there and has to pay for a transfer later, hey that's more money in their pocket.

For as much as it pains people to hear, SWTOR is a business first and a game second.

This is the part that most people don't understand in regards to dead servers. They are on lease for an unknown amount of time (most likely till December), they have to pay for them regardless of whether they use them or not.

At this point, they have no reason to shut them down. If a new player mistakenly rolls there and has to pay for a transfer later, hey that's more money in their pocket.

For as much as it pains people to hear, SWTOR is a business first and a game second.

Why would they lease servers instead of having their own.?

New guy rolls on a old server, after running almost alone on the starter planet he flys out to see theres 5 people on fleet.

If alarm bells arent ringing by this time, hes prob happy enough.

If he comes to forums or asks around, he doesnt need to transfer a lvl 10, call it 2 hours wasted and off to reroll.

New guy rolls on a old server, after running almost alone on the starter planet he flys out to see theres 5 people on fleet.

If alarm bells arent ringing by this time, hes prob happy enough.

If he comes to forums or asks around, he doesnt need to transfer a lvl 10, call it 2 hours wasted and off to reroll.

haha yes, very true

Some of you guys are missing the point. It does not matter what the lease is on the server or how long it is. Its about that new player logging into a dead server, saying oh well, and quitting the game.

Remember the vast majority of people never check these forums.

We want to make sure these new folks come to the busy server, its good for them and good for us.

If someones dense enough to bypass the full / heavy / standard servers at the server selection screen and head straight to the ones that are dead, im going to say they arent long for the genre to begin with. Edited by TKMaster

If someones dense enough to bypass the full / heavy / standard servers at the server selection screen and head straight to the ones that are dead, im going to say they arent long for the genre to begin with.

^

Its pretty obvious which ones have lots of people, if someone picks a "light" server on purpose opposed to one that is "standard", for me to state it's what they wanted would be redundant. they picked it on purpose.

Its been said by the Devs that server transfers are optional.

What happens to the new guy who has never played this game and rolls on a ghost town of a server?

They should flag them with a message "this server has been flagged for transfer please choose anotherone"

IF the playerbase grows again they can easily remove it but they will start to loose new players if they allow character creation on those

Anyone who's stupid enough to roll on one of the 180? 'Light' population servers deserves what they get. Evolution starts working in ways we shouldn't want it to when you hold too many hands.

And, I'd eat my own foot if the Origin servers stick around for long after the transfers anyways. At most, they'll last until the so-called mega server tech is ready to go, so Bioware can at least remove the old servers under the PR cover of mega servers.

Edited by revial

I'd be quite shocked if they were leasing the server farms however it is also true that the costs to keep the old ones running is negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Bandwidth probably takes up the larger portion of the on-going costs and that figure won't really change much in terms of cost. Rack-space fees for the collocated server farms in the various data centers would be another but it's doubtful that they are paying that on a per-machine basis.

The transfers are "optional" but honestly just about EVERYONE is going to transfer off their servers save for a few who want to be kings in their own kingdom or something....but seriously though the costs to keep those dead servers up just for all the inactive accounts and the few people who remain behind doesn't make any sense. They will eventually close down those servers and give people a warning that they have to transfer or they will lose their characters or something.

Oh boy I hope not. I can imagine the backlash from returning players who come back and find that their character has just been deleted. Would be horrible for Bioware.

It's a good question. When i bought the game in March I rolled on a "light" server. It was due to performance issuess, totally new to MMO's I believed I would experience lag if rolling on a "standard" server. I didn't think about the pop issue until I spoke to an IRL-friend who recommended rolling on his server instead.

To answer the question: BW could just lock the lightest servers for new rolling.

people should notice fairly quickly that their server is dead. (not 'I barely meet people on the super big planets like belsavis' but 'oh damn I'm the only person on the fleet')

so by lvl 10 they hopefully either just reroll on a standart/high/full/whatever server or use their internet browser to go to this forum and ask for suggestions (or maybe ask google)

Experianced MMO'ers should be that dumb to roll on one of the empty. The trap will be for a new MMO'ers, who no nothing about how getting on a good is important. There should be something to direct them a good server to start playing on, like marking some servers as the recommend server or something too that effect.

Bioware will still need to be paying the bills for the dead servers, they will close at some point.

If someones dense enough to bypass the full / heavy / standard servers at the server selection screen and head straight to the ones that are dead, im going to say they arent long for the genre to begin with.

Not a lot of server has standard or more for populations, only some JCJ/JCE and not even at all time. The count is done on the number of people connected at a time.

At the time of this post, The Ebon Hawk a JDR-JcE server has a light population even though it's a destination server and was tagged as Full yesterday (with even a waiting queue to connect).

I agree with this thread, a warning should be made when a subscriber (not just a new subscriber, all) is trying to roll a character on a new server (new= a server where he doesn't have character). The warning should indicate which server to take for population, in the same category that the one selected.

Oh boy I hope not. I can imagine the backlash from returning players who come back and find that their character has just been deleted. Would be horrible for Bioware.

Who says they would need to delete them? They could simply transfer all inactive characters of say L10 or higher a 'holding' server which is permanently flagged as 'origin' meaning when anybody inactive resubscribes they will be able to immediately transfer their characters off their 'holding server' and onto their 'destination' server.

They don't have to delete characters to remove the origin servers if that is their end goal.

Its been said by the Devs that server transfers are optional.

What happens to the new guy who has never played this game and rolls on a ghost town of a server?

Tell him L2read then. Why would anyone with common sense wanna join a server that is rated light ? Unless they purposely wanna be on a dead server I see no reason why they would go to one.