So, How Many Names Did You Lose?

Thaed

No one forced you to move. That's an awful lot of crying for a self inflicted wound.

I will save this post and remind you couple months later when servers will be shut down. Will see what you have to say then.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to laugh when they open the super servers and they decide to use transfers to move to them. Then it will be a 100% first come first serve for everyone and it will be 100% fair. And yes, I lost 4 names (2 origin servers), but hey, I can play with people so I'm completely happy. Plus as a healer, losing my name isn't a completely negative thing, those silly dps have to find me again in pvp.

Just transferred. I lost 1 out of 7 names. Not bad... hec, pretty freaking great actually. I'm starting to wonder though... Maybe my names are pretty unusual... Hmm... *insecurity creeps in* Lol!

Seems like irony but i would not worry :) perhaps you draw inspiration from something few have great knowlage about i do it :)

That dosent equal bad name ;)

I'll admit I haven't read this whole thread, I just check in now and again.

I've just been wondering what the odds are of someone's name being taken. If you figure that SWTOR has roughly 1.2 million subscribers for (I think) 120 servers now, that's roughly 10,000 users per server. Sure, most users have more than one toon, so I'm sure that could be off by a factor of 8. But let's say people are most concerned about their "main".

How many possible names are there? This is the hard part. Even just using normal human names, most baby name books have 25,000-100,000 names. However, there's a whole realm (pun intended) of fantasy & sci-fi sounding names. Then, you figure that many players (myself included) basically make a name up at random, and the pool of possible names is almost infinitely large. How many millions I don't know, but it's at least millions.

So, you'd think that the odds that one's name is taken among the 10,000-80,000 toons on a destination server is rather small. And yet there are many threads on here about not just one but multiple, or even ALL names being taken!

I guessed right and reserved what I could on both Harbinger and Drooga's in advance last week when I predicted my server would go there. Now that Vornskr has finally been announced as going to the Harbinger I will be losing my secondary character's name - Despereaux. I really shouldn't be surprised - it's not like I made it up. I took it from a Psych character and long before that it was a well known book character.

If I'd gone to Drooga's I'd have only lost the name of a character that hasn't even started Coruscant yet, but my wife would have lost all 3 of her higher-level character names.

Such is life, and it will go on. :cool:

I lost three but I expected for those names to be taken on Ebon Hawk. I found suitable substitutes and I am very happy with my new server!

Though I loved my BH's name as Scarlet, she now has a much more appropriate Twi'lek name Jasshi and my Sith Assassin was fun as Toy, but she's just as cute and malicious as Darth Trifle. I actually think I like my new names better honestly. Ch'sei was my last name lost..she is now Lia'ry, or little sister in Twilek.

Let's see:

5 out of 6 Characters lost names.

Lost my legacy name too.

So, effectively, while not the major reason to cancel my subscription, it was certainly the straw that broke the camel's back. It wasn't the name itself: It was the work, effort, and time spent getting to a legacy name, only to have to transfer and lose that name.

Am I alone in feeling that way?

I seemed to have lost 3 that I loved and any acceptable variation of the names were taken. I was left with compromising as best I could to get the names I wanted.

Gah, I wish they did this like FFXIV did this (with First name and Last name). There were 4 Bewoulf's in my guild with the same first name, just a different surname. Makes NO sense that we have to have different first names when we can choose our last names too.

Or even the way STO did this. Charactername@Accountname. Made whispering kind of awkward but I got used to it.

Edited by Bewoulff

Just transferred. I lost 1 out of 7 names. Not bad... hec, pretty freaking great actually. I'm starting to wonder though... Maybe my names are pretty unusual... Hmm... *insecurity creeps in* Lol!

My names are never used, and I draw my names from the actual species languages in some cases, and in others I've used for years in several MMOs and no one's used them, for some reason. I like it.

I didn't lose the one character name I wanted to keep and I actually self inflicted some forced renames on a few of my characters, so I'm actually pretty happy. I even got to keep my Legacy name. But I feel for those that had to change, I am attached to a name and would have been sad if I lost it. Not game breaking sad, but bummed for sure.

Let's see:

5 out of 6 Characters lost names.

Lost my legacy name too.

So, effectively, while not the major reason to cancel my subscription, it was certainly the straw that broke the camel's back. It wasn't the name itself: It was the work, effort, and time spent getting to a legacy name, only to have to transfer and lose that name.

Am I alone in feeling that way?

Nope your certainly are not alone, many of us feel betrayed since they should of done something with the naming policy system before they even introduced transfers. It is very limited, therefore flawed, my story is meaningless now because of this, not only did I loose my in-game username but my legacy name as well, both need to be resolved especially with the players that have stuck around since launch, we have paid our dues and deserve to have those names restored to us.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.