Confirmed: SWTOR to have micro-transactions/in-game purchases

ShiningKnights

You seem to be guessing as the end there.

Will you tin foil hat people site your source!

In his defense a lot of games with cash shops have exclusive items only available from the cash shop. I have no idea what exactly EA has in mind just drawing from other games and what they do.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I pointed out it specified in game items. Server xfers arent in game items those are out of game things. More like services than items. Just trying to have a debate about the actual idea rather than simply insisting the article is flawed and from 2 yrs ago even tho it talks about losing 400k subs and the f2p in july which was just announced at e3.

yup thats why i said races too, for the f2p trial i just take that as a sign of the times, i think most mmos do f2p trials now dont they ?. I also have a feeling that article is just mashed together from loads of sources out of whack from each other as the reporter has tried to fill space.

Edited by Shingara

yup thats why i said races too, for the f2p trial i just take that as a sign of the times, i think most mmos do f2p trials now dont they ?. I also have a feeling that article is just mashed together from loads of sources out of whack from each other as the reporter has tried to fill space.

I dont think the f2p to 15 has any bearing with the micro transactions. I was just citing it to set the date of the article because that was just announced. Having a free trial is typical of all games now not just mmos. If they want to compete they have to offer the same thing. I think the MT will be focused on people who subscribe if it does happen. I mean its not like they have officially announced anything. Things can change plans can fizzle out. Who knows.

I also have a feeling that article is just mashed together from loads of sources out of whack from each other as the reporter has tried to fill space.

Which is what many have tried to tell, and show him. He can't grasp that for some reason.

Here's the Reuters article they are talking about: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/05/ea-starwars-idUSL1E8H4JV720120605

Which is what many have tried to tell, and show him. He can't grasp that for some reason.

Here's the Reuters article they are talking about: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/05/ea-starwars-idUSL1E8H4JV720120605

The entire article is from 2012 and about things they announced at E3. Where is all this 2010 stuff? Also Retuers is just one of the sources. Its not the only source. Again tho it just confirms everything I just said. Thanks for linking it.

Edited by Leggomy

The entire article is from 2012 and about things they announced at E3. Where is all this 2010 stuff?

The information about microtransactions is from 2010, NOT E3. The F2P till level 15 announcement is the only news in that article to come out of E3.

The entire article is from 2012 and about things they announced at E3. Where is all this 2010 stuff?

Earlier I posted a link going back to 2008 where it was reported that SWTOR would have MT's.

Old news, bud...old news.

Edited by Skoobie

I'm not believing the micro tansaction bit until EA/BW officially announces it to the public. For all we know the reporter could be assuming the "cash shop" would be added because of the free to level 15 announcement. For now I seriously doubt the MT part.

Are there other sources than can actually confirm this little piece from Yahoo? A single source does not make it fact, merely rumor. If other sources report on this then there is something to it. For now mini transactions is just a rumor. I don't fully trust Yahoo as a completely reliable source for gaming.

Edited by Kilikaa

Is it that hard to believe this is just news from E3? Since E3 is right now. We know they announced the f2p thing at E3. We know all this stuff was announced there. Just seems you guys are grasping at straws because you simply don't want to believe this could possibly happen. So any explanation other than it just is news from E3 works for you.

Is it that hard to believe this is just news from E3? Since E3 is right now. We know they announced the f2p thing at E3. We know all this stuff was announced there. Just seems you guys are grasping at straws because you simply don't want to believe this could possibly happen. So any explanation other than it just is news from E3 works for you.

Have i said micro trans arnt coming, at any point, at any point at all ? we know they are because they have said paid for xfer are something that is coming.

Edited by Shingara

first red part total fiction, and im well aware of the water army following this game. And wow has more of that content simply because it had 5 years development time and 8 years is it ? live time, its going to have alot of fluff simply based on time.

What basic features and technology is it missing exactly that isnt in 1.3 or here already, and what unfinished content was released, and dont say illum because thats only partly pvp and the pvp was mashed in by lob sided and ganking communitys who traded kills and exploited bugs to graveyard camp.

As for Micro transactions ive not seen anything on the site to suggest they are coming apart from the obvious paid for xfers at a later date, although i could see races and char slots being mt's.

well as for unfinished I do believe that pazak and swoop racing were planed well before launch but they couldnt get them in, the acheivment system the devs have addmited is imcomplete, all over the worlds there are doors and areas that are mysteriously unused, they launched with almost no armor, mounts, or pets, crafting was not complete the gtn was not complete, legacy was imcomplete, they refer to 1.2 as having alot of the features they wanted in at launch, how long did it take them to announce that the space game was changing in the future, kinda sounds like a place holder is what we got, end game wasnt complete karagas launched with one boss and both operations were so buggy they were almost broken, and the devs admit they did not have the mechanics or difficulty level they wanted and yes illum was not anywhere near complete it wasnt just the players and the dallies side yeah that really feels completed

as for missing technology gee I dont know do we have real transfers yet, do we have duel spec, we barely have a combat log that has to be parsed and we just got that, group finder is just now coming and they havent figured out how to shuttle you back planetside yet [funny that it works fine with black talon but nothing else] the engine is not optimised, the world randomly shakes, we cant even change our names. in interveiws when these things are brought up or why there are missing features the devs go to excuess is we are trying to figure out the technology. man that sitting in chairs and ship customization must be a technical nightmare I dont know how other games do it.

I dont think you read my post and think I am just trying to troll or hate the game, anybody who plays the game knows this is pretty comon knowledge that the game released before it was ready and alot of the basic tech is missing. Im not trying to put the game down but I also am not going to lie to myself and be a blind fanboy. like I said the game is improving very fast and I do think bioware can pull off turning it into the best game on the market. but they need to be smart and think long term not be reactive and go for the quick buck to appease investors. I love this game and play way to much but it is lacking and does not feel complete or like bioware quality gameplay in a mmo. and I wish the devs would stop calling it the succesor to kotor it is not, kotor had playable companions skills that affected your in game progress through areas, useable items for all classes like grenades and mines and stealth belts it wasnt just combat quests either there was varity in gameplay that made it really addicting. swtor has none of that

on topic:

money does not make a game good and microtransactions are not going to improve the gameplay and bring people back. word of mouth and happy players having fun in game will

f2p isn't exactly an accurate term when it's only to lv15 which is more of a trial than anything...yelling swtor has gone f2p from the rooftops just gives more ammunition for the haters who like to keep saying tor is fail.

Have i said micro trans arnt coming, at any point, at any point at all ? we know they are because they have said paid for xfer are something that is coming.

Around we go again. Ok man I guess the only thing we agree on is that we disagree on this. No sense starting this whole thing over.

well as for unfinished I do believe that pazak and swoop racing were planed well before launch but they couldnt get them in, the acheivment system the devs have addmited is imcomplete, all over the worlds there are doors and areas that are mysteriously unused, they launched with almost no armor, mounts, or pets, crafting was not complete the gtn was not complete, legacy was imcomplete, they refer to 1.2 as having alot of the features they wanted in at launch, how long did it take them to announce that the space game was changing in the future, kinda sounds like a place holder is what we got, end game wasnt complete karagas launched with one boss and both operations were so buggy they were almost broken, and the devs admit they did not have the mechanics or difficulty level they wanted and yes illum was not anywhere near complete it wasnt just the players and the dallies side yeah that really feels completed

as for missing technology gee I dont know do we have real transfers yet, do we have duel spec, we barely have a combat log that has to be parsed and we just got that, group finder is just now coming and they havent figured out how to shuttle you back planetside yet [funny that it works fine with black talon but nothing else] the engine is not optimised, the world randomly shakes, we cant even change our names. in interveiws when these things are brought up or why there are missing features the devs go to excuess is we are trying to figure out the technology. man that sitting in chairs and ship customization must be a technical nightmare I dont know how other games do it.

I dont think you read my post and think I am just trying to troll or hate the game, anybody who plays the game knows this is pretty comon knowledge that the game released before it was ready and alot of the basic tech is missing. Im not trying to put the game down but I also am not going to lie to myself and be a blind fanboy. like I said the game is improving very fast and I do think bioware can pull off turning it into the best game on the market. but they need to be smart and think long term not be reactive and go for the quick buck to appease investors. I love this game and play way to much but it is lacking and does not feel complete or like bioware quality gameplay in a mmo. and I wish the devs would stop calling it the succesor to kotor it is not, kotor had playable companions skills that affected your in game progress through areas, useable items for all classes like grenades and mines and stealth belts it wasnt just combat quests either there was varity in gameplay that made it really addicting. swtor has none of that

on topic:

money does not make a game good and microtransactions are not going to improve the gameplay and bring people back. word of mouth and happy players having fun in game will

Pazzak and swoop racing are things only now being looked at, where do you get that they are unfinished. as for not complete and coming out in stages are 2 different things, my god this is the reason why miss information gets spread so much.

PS features are not tech. and i do read your posts but im going to stop now.

Edited by Shingara

Around we go again. Ok man I guess the only thing we agree on is that we disagree on this. No sense starting this whole thing over.

Around with what, *** are you on about, im sure you have a point in this somewhere so please get to it already.

f2p isn't exactly an accurate term when it's only to lv15 which is more of a trial than anything...yelling swtor has gone f2p from the rooftops just gives more ammunition for the haters who like to keep saying tor is fail.

When I say it is going f2p everyone should know from the release the terms of swtor's "f2p" status. I would rather not have to keep writing f2p to level 15 and restricted etc everytime I mention it. We all know when swtor goes f2p what that means. I guess we will have to wait and see what comes.

Around with what, *** are you on about, im sure you have a point in this somewhere so please get to it already.

We already talked about how it says "in game items" which are not character transfers. Im not going to keep repeating myself while you rage on and on. Again I agree that I do not agree with your stance on this subject. There is no sense in keeping rehashing everything over and over. We do not agree. Thats ok. People dont agree a lot. We will wait and see what happens. You can tell me "i told ya so" in a couple years.

C'mon, microtransaction Server Transfers. I want to swap my US characters to the Oceanic servers like the rest of my mates were able to, but I can't because I have a US address. This saves me a whole lot of hassle starting over again from scratch.

And maybe a respec token that allows you to change your Advanced Class. After trying Sage Healing, I see little reason to keep my Trooper as a Commando.

Edited by fptackle

I don't think there's anything wrong with having micro-transitions available in a game, as long as a line is drawn. Cosmetics and fluff are fine but it's when the game starts putting stuff that you either require or gives you an edge in a store, that i feel steps way over that line.

I also play lotro, which went f2p last year. The f2p model brought in so much revenue and a much larger player base that I, as a player, was relieved to see happen as the subscriber levels were dwindling to a point of empty servers but pretty soon afterwards they (Turbine) because too greedy and started removing items from the game which were important and adding them to the store as the only way of gaining them. They then started screwing over the player base by adding mounts in the store too, which people had already gained in game by spending weeks/months grinding to attain. Now there are exclusive store only mounts, which for a horse collector like me, is just out of order.

The store was advertised as being "Convenience and not advantage", yet they started adding items which give a clear advantage over someone who doesn't use the store, for example morale potions which do not share the global cd of all other morale pots. Essentially you can heal yourself twice which people who do not use the store can only do it once.

Even pvp got store based items which were a distinct advantage, even getting to the point where you could buy your Creeps skills on the store, instead of unlocking them at certain pvp ranks, giving newer players a distinct advantage of becoming very powerful at a early rank.

I only hope that Bioware know where to draw the line and don't step over it, if they do indeed go to this model.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having micro-transitions available in a game, as long as a line is drawn. Cosmetics and fluff are fine but it's when the game starts putting stuff that you either require or gives you an edge in a store, that i feel steps way over that line.

I also play lotro, which went f2p last year. The f2p model brought in so much revenue and a much larger player base that I, as a player, was relieved to see happen as the subscriber levels were dwindling to a point of empty servers but pretty soon afterwards they (Turbine) because too greedy and started removing items from the game which were important and adding them to the store as the only way of gaining them. They then started screwing over the player base by adding mounts in the store too, which people had already gained in game by spending weeks/months grinding to attain. Now there are exclusive store only mounts, which for a horse collector like me, is just out of order.

The store was advertised as being "Convenience and not advantage", yet they started adding items which give a clear advantage over someone who doesn't use the store, for example morale potions which do not share the global cd of all other morale pots. Essentially you can heal yourself twice which people who do not use the store can only do it once.

Even pvp got store based items which were a distinct advantage, even getting to the point where you could buy your Creeps skills on the store, instead of unlocking them at certain pvp ranks, giving newer players a distinct advantage of becoming very powerful at a early rank.

I only hope that Bioware know where to draw the line and don't step over it, if they do indeed go to this model.

Yep it always starts out innocent enough. Lotro sells tier 7 stat tomes on the store for example. Ever have one of those drop for you? Extremely rare drop from the hardest raid. It can be yours for 500 tp tho (equivalent of $5).

Well, if
EA expects to earn significant revenue from additional features and through micro-transactions by selling in-game based items
is true then one thing is certain , they won't make significant revenue from just character transfers and fluff items.

Well like many other games. Orange armor pieces with 2-3 augment slots.

Orange Weapons with dual color crystal slots (so u can do a core and plasma color combo on your own).

Especially the saber I bet it will sell super well.

Wait its bad to give BW any ideas eh.

Well, if is true then one thing is certain , they won't make significant revenue from just character transfers and fluff items.

I dunno about that. LOTRO makes a fortune off selling $20 horses which are all the same except for the appearance. You can only ride one at a time and you also get one better for free in the game. They also sell a lot of cosmetic outfits on there.

Will the community ridicule those that buy their fluff items? I know I look down my nose at such things, but would not say anything in chat....maybe to a bud.

If game changing items are sold I am done...homey don't play that way.