Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

CourtneyWoods

The fair and reasonable thing to do would be to have SOME form of name conflict resolution.

I implore you to actually tell me what you have in mind. "SOME form of miracle" simply doesn't cut it. If there was a fair and possible solution to this problem, they would use it. Bioware isn't in the business of actively screwing you over.

So please, *please* tell me what you would have them do to accomodate an unlucky conflict of names resulting from an offered, voluntary, free-of-charge server move.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole "Free Character Transfer........." is news to me. I've been busy the last couple of weeks with finals. Could somebody get me up to speed please? Does this mean that the server that I'm on will be taken down? Will all of my characters transfer over? I've got 3, all on the same server. If I do nothing will my characters transfer anyway?

Thanks.

This whole "Free Character Transfer........." is news to me. I've been busy the last couple of weeks with finals. Could somebody get me up to speed please? Does this mean that the server that I'm on will be taken down? Will all of my characters transfer over? I've got 3, all on the same server. If I do nothing will my characters transfer anyway?

Thanks.

Servers aren't being taken down.

It's per character, not per account, so it's on you to transfer each of them over.

If you don't transfer they will be left where they are.

check out https://account.swtor.com/user/account/transfer

Thanks.

The transfers are being done because a lot of players have complained that there are too few players on their server for the game to really be fun. As such, Bioware is offering those players a free-of-charge move to a designated target server, so that those who wish to be in a more population-dense environment can choose so.

The process is, at this point, entirely optional. You can choose to move none, one, some or all of your characters at your leisure.

It's unclear if the server you are currently on will be shut down sometime in the far future -- but that isn't what has been advertised currently. By all the data we have available right now, the only consequence of staying at your current server is that you will be left to play with others that decided to stay, which might not be a lot. But if retaining your character name is important to you -- more important than having a lot of interaction with other players -- then simply not doing anything right now might be the best option for you.

How should Bioware have taken care of you? Funneled you in first, putting someone else in your position instead? Are you worth more than other customers in this fashion?

To name a few ideas,

-Distribute populations to 2-3 servers of each type, less chance of this happening

-Give everyone a fair chance of transferring to their designated server (rather than leaving things to the arbitrary hand of god), I wouldn't be mad if someone beat me too it, but to have to wait in agony...

-Develop a naming priority based on character creation date/play time (I've had these characters since the first wave of early access -> once of the big reasons I preordered, to reserve names)

I don't think that anyone is being treated very fairly as a customer in this situation... I think that this is a very inefficient excuse on Bioware's part for "Free Character Transfers." The only reason things have been designed this way is to develop better PR and please the stockholders.

My gripe in this whole process is the lack of information. In the recent blog post (Community Team General Update: May 31st, 2012) it was stated that:

The aforementioned initiative is intended to improve communication between the fans, the Community Team, and the development team by creating focused specializations

Now I am not sure who would be in charge of letting the community know about server merges, but the information is lacking. Yes you are saying when another round is open, but aside from that there is almost no communication.

I understand that there is some wiggle room in how many servers are going to be allowed as destination servers, but I am looking at specific quotes from the last few weeks

In some cases, a large number of origin servers will be eligible to move to a single destination server. In others, very few origin servers will be transferring to existing high population destination servers.

I also could have sworn I saw a question if these transfers will be to the new 'mega' servers or the normal servers, and the answer was the normal servers.

With all that in mind it sure seems like all the servers are going to get squashed into 3 maybe 4 destination servers. I guess my definition of 'very few' is vastly different than that of the transfer team, since servers like The Fatman and Jedi Covenant have already gotten so many origin servers.

Of the original 46 PvE East servers 20 have been moved into two of the most heavily populated PvE servers. Best guess would say there would be at most 5 PvE servers left after the dust settles, realistically probably less. Again this doesn't fit my idea of a 'large number of destinations'.

I will admit that my numerical data comes from torstatus, and probably isn't completely accurate. However at this point it seems like Allison meant to say a 'very small number of destination servers will receive a large number of origin servers'.

I just wish that someone would come out and give some accurate information, even if it is 'we currently plan to have between x and y number destination servers.' Some communication on the matter would be wonderful.

So please, *please* tell me what you would have them do to accomodate an unlucky conflict of names resulting from an offered, voluntary, free-of-charge server move.

This is exactly how they want you to think of it, Bioware doesnt want to be seen as responsible for these catches to a "perfect solution." Rather, they implement what are really server merges in a very sneaky way.

Edited by Akatoshia

See all my characters rely on each other for crafting so If I were to move ALL my characters would have to move. On that Note I'm considering moving BUT I'm trying to get in touch with all my friends whom I've been leveling toons with to make them aware of the option to move and see if they have interest in moving WITH me. If they are not interested n moving then I wont move either.

With that said what's going to happen to all the servers that end up being dead after people xfer away?

Are they going to be forced Merged?

To name a few ideas,

-Distribute populations to 2-3 servers of each type, less chance of this happening

I can't say for North American servers -- I'm not North American, so frankly keeping up with the happenings there isn't really my concern -- but when I look over the list of sources and destinations for Europe, it is clear that what you ask them to do is exactly what they are doing.

-Give everyone a fair chance of transferring to their designated server (rather than leaving things to the arbitrary hand of god), I wouldn't be mad if someone beat me too it, but to have to wait in agony...

You are being made to wait because if Bioware attempts to move everything at once (which would be necessary if everyone should be able to push the button at the same time and see who comes first), it would be a disaster if something went wrong. In this business, you do chunks at a time, because if a problem occurs, you have it limited to that chunk(and possibly preceding chunks) , and the amount of work and aggrieved customers is limited to the bare minimum. If you do everything at once, and an error occurs, everyone loses their marbles at the same time, and that is bad for business and for consumer satisfaction.

-Develop a naming priority based on character creation date/play time (I've had these characters since the first wave of early access -> once of the big reasons I preordered, to reserve names)

That is the only reasonable suggestion I've seen so far -- but can you imagine the riots when people who have been playing their character for 5 months suddenly are told they have to change their name because some dude just transferred in who has been playing his for 6? It may or may not be more objectively "just", but I can assure you that it would lead to even larger *****torms than the current approach.

Edited by heavenquake

You seem to equate the hour in which last do an update to the amount of work that we are all putting into this. Many weekends and extra hours have been worked in order to bring us to this point. Within the past 48 hrs, we've opened up 122 servers for character transfers in a service that has run (relatively and knock on wood) smoothly. We understand your passion and desire for a transfer, but know that we are taking many factors into account, including making sure that servers are stable.

Just posting again in case this has been glossed over: I'm really hoping you guys give options for people who want to switch time zones with their character transfer (East to West or West to East).

That is something that I would love to do that would help you balance populations and help me out as well (Hyperspace Cannon is NOT doing well on pop... that is for sure).

BIOWARE... i am sorry for being a BUTTHOLE lately but thankyou for restoring my faith in you guys :)......all i ask is that you please please please i beg you guys to please please make thise server Bondar Crystal be allowed to transfer to the The Fatman because i am leader of a guild in FATMAN and i really want my legacy there plus my money there 2 . This is all i ask from you guys i pormise ill be subscribed for years if this awesome thing happens...GREAT JOB :D

See all my characters rely on each other for crafting so If I were to move ALL my characters would have to move. On that Note I'm considering moving BUT I'm trying to get in touch with all my friends whom I've been leveling toons with to make them aware of the option to move and see if they have interest in moving WITH me. If they are not interested n moving then I wont move either.

With that said what's going to happen to all the servers that end up being dead after people xfer away?

Are they going to be forced Merged?

It seems to me that this whole "Character Transfer Policy" Is just a way for Bioware to cover up their true intentions of condensing the game population to fewer servers, without having to admit that they don't have enough subscribers to fill them all.

I think that after about 90% of the player base has been consolidated into ~10 servers for each region (NA, EU, ect) , the rest will be left alone until the dust dies down, and then Bioware will shut them down... maybe leaving a few to manage population trends.

These are just server merges in disguise, Bioware allowed these population problems to grow out of control. They just don't want want to deal with all of the catches.

Not sure if this question has been asked yet since I REALLY don't feel like going through two thousand some odd replies....

Has anyone had a problem transferring all 8 toons to the destination server? Mine says my destination server has 8, yet when I log in, there is only 7 on there. My last toon is stuck on my origin server.

These are just server merges in disguise, Bioware allowed these population problems to grow out of control. They just don't want want to deal with all of the catches.

They are dealing with the catches right now.

Why does it matter if you call it a transfer or a server merge? The end result is that the paying customers get what they want; denser populations on their servers.

Would you rather Bioware continued to let all servers retain their Light population? Your attacks make no sense. It seems incredibly counterproductive to me, to this heavily publicly deter other people from subscribing to the game -- as long as one keeps up with posting flames that serve no purpose against action that needs to be taken, one is actively and directly causing Bioware to lose more money than one pays them -- and yet one still has the nerve to consider themselves a Most Valued Customer?

Not sure if this question has been asked yet since I REALLY don't feel like going through two thousand some odd replies....

Has anyone had a problem transferring all 8 toons to the destination server? Mine says my destination server has 8, yet when I log in, there is only 7 on there. My last toon is stuck on my origin server.

Its a bug bro you need to contact customer servers in game though

Quick question, in the future will it be possible to tranfer a character from a EU server Eg - Rougue Moon to a US server Eg - Shadowlands?

yes this will happen at some point after they shutdown 100 servers and are stable once again so id say in about 5months maybe less...or never

So will we see any different destination servers? Are we looking at 1 or 2 total east coast pve servers after this all shakes out? We all know that closing these servers simply has to be right around the corner. They cannot maintain empty servers with just a few people playing on them. So once this all shakes out are we left with 1 or 2 total servers for pve on the east coast?

I mean I know I wanted populated but I dont know if I want to be fighting 20 other groups for a quest spawn or fighting 1000s for an egg etc. Its like an all or nothing thing with them. You either play on a deserted server or one packed to the brim.

On top of this they actually plan on charging for these in the future? You really want to put a nail in this coffin start asking for money to transfer. Make it like rift and free but limited to say once a week. So anyways ya Im sensing a great disturbance in the force. I worry swtor will end up like Aldeeran...

Surely that must be some sort of mistake. Why would they pick an east coast server as a destination when there are west coast options?

Ajunta Pall is the only west coast RP-PVP sever, BWs choice was to merge it with the East Coast RP-PvP servers, leave it as is with a low pop or move everyone to a non RP PvP sever. Seems to have been the best of the 3 choices.

Someone actually said months? Also I wouldnt be patting myself on the back until all servers are included. Right now there are more than half that are not.

122 Origin servers announced moving to 20 destination servers, that is over half the servers just in the ones listed are origin servers.

122 Origin servers announced moving to 20 destination servers, that is over half the servers just in the ones listed are origin servers.

When I say half I obviously mean the ones moving not the ones staying put...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.