Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So those of us on dead servers are...? Screwed till Monday?

In essence (although I wouldn't have put it in those particular terms), yes. If you are open to a suggestion, you could always hang out on the test server this weekend, I know that thing has a pretty healthy population. But yea, it is a rather sorrow inducing situation.

I'm on Luka Sene, we aren't in a terrible state on the republic side, I've had lots of pvp today too.

Sometimes playing lower populated faction does pay off. You might change your tune when you are playing WZ's for months against the same pre-made of two tanks, two healers and the "pugs" are filled with more or less the same faces.

That's not my cup of tea, I expect diversity in an MMO and I can't schedule my life around one hour window, give or take a few minutes, when queues do pop. Think outside of the box and if you really think population is fine on LS I say good luck to you and godspeed. I'll transfer as soon as we get a destination.

Do you have a link to a dev post about this? From the tone of your post I take it that some of this is conjecture based off of something said, I'd like to know where that is coming from.

While I foresee micro-transactions especially for things like extra character slots, I don't know that they are specifically looking to prevent "legacy" consolidation with the transfers. As it is possible if you just happen to have characters on the two servers they have picked.

You can only transfer from the origin server of their choosing to the destination server of their choosing. There are no other sorts of transfers allowed, including transfers to combine legacies. You can only combine your legacies if they are on the paired origin/destination servers picked. As a matter of fact, I think I can dig up a quote.

From the FAQ associated with transfers here:

Characters on a specific group of origin servers will only be able to transfer to specific individual destination servers.

and from the Community News posting before the FAQ was released:

We understand that some of you may be looking to consolidate characters from a variety of origin servers onto one server, and others may be anxious to move to a specific server to be with friends. With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible.

Daniel Erickson touched on their reasoning in an interview with Darth Hater:

We talked a lot about Legacy — what are the team’s current thoughts about Legacy? Is it something that people are enjoying? Are you thinking of making it account wide versus server wide?

There’s probably not going to be moves any time soon to account wide, particularly because server wide to account wide is massive from a tech undertaking, and the percentage of folks that have people spread around like that is not really high enough to make that a priority. What we are doing is of course bringing in the free character transfers so hopefully people can get their people all on one place. And we are very generous with what it means to combine Legacies, so you can take all the best parts of all the Legacy stuff you may have unlocked and bring it all together in one place.

The comment regarding charges for account transfers in the future can be seen in this section of the FAQ:

Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee.

Micro-transactions are mentioned here but to be fair that is not an official source and mostly came from a place of anger and bitterness deep inside me.

Regarding "If Bioware was given a choice between having you cancel your account or making a commitment to help you out with your fractured account some time in the next couple months, they would much rather you cancel," that mostly comes from my personal experience with customer service. If Bioware cares to comment on that or take any action at all to suggest they would prefer accounts to not quit, I encourage them to do so. Otherwise I am just as happy with them continuing to say "we have no information but something will be done soon." Unless something were to change this evening allowing me to consolidate my characters, I will no longer be posting here on Monday.

Sometimes playing lower populated faction does pay off. You might change your tune when you are playing WZ's for months against the same pre-made of two tanks, two healers and the "pugs" are filled with more or less the same faces.

That's not my cup of tea, I expect diversity in an MMO and I can't schedule my life around one hour window, give or take a few minutes, when queues do pop. Think outside of the box and if you really think population is fine on LS I say good luck to you and godspeed. I'll transfer as soon as we get a destination.

Who is the in pre-made? (character names)

You can only transfer from the origin server of their choosing to the destination server of their choosing. There are no other sorts of transfers allowed, including transfers to combine legacies. You can only combine your legacies if they are on the paired origin/destination servers picked. As a matter of fact, I think I can dig up a quote.

From the FAQ associated with transfers here:

and from the Community News posting before the FAQ was released:

Daniel Erickson touched on their reasoning in an interview with Darth Hater:

The comment regarding charges for account transfers in the future can be seen in this section of the FAQ:

Micro-transactions are mentioned here but to be fair that is not an official source and mostly came from a place of anger and bitterness deep inside me.

Regarding "If Bioware was given a choice between having you cancel your account or making a commitment to help you out with your fractured account some time in the next couple months, they would much rather you cancel," that mostly comes from my personal experience with customer service. If Bioware cares to comment on that or take any action at all to suggest they would prefer accounts to not quit, I encourage them to do so. Otherwise I am just as happy with them continuing to say "we have no information but something will be done soon." Unless something were to change this evening allowing me to consolidate my characters, I will no longer be posting here on Monday.

Fair enough and thank you for taking the time to find those sources, some of them I had seen, but others I had not.

To all of you who are complaining about how the transfers are going:

Bioware is trying to perform a herculean task - like herding velociraptors with water guns. They also have to make sure the rest of the servers don't go down when the weekend comes around and EVEN MORE people log on to those destination servers. And now you want to yell at them for covering their butts?

Guess what? This is life. Things change. I would prefer that Bioware Austin is more cautious about these things. It is their first MMO, after all.

Seriously, people. Chill out. Take a breather. Better yet, roll an alt on your destination server and see what you might be transferring into. Just because your server is deserted doesn't mean you can't play.

But there are some of you who won't listen to reasonable advice; therefore I offer you this statement in return. The rest of us will be here when you get back.

To all of you who are complaining about how the transfers are going:

Bioware is trying to perform a herculean task - like herding velociraptors with water guns. They also have to make sure the rest of the servers don't go down when the weekend comes around and EVEN MORE people log on to those destination servers. And now you want to yell at them for covering their butts?

Guess what? This is life. Things change. I would prefer that Bioware Austin is more cautious about these things. It is their first MMO, after all.

Seriously, people. Chill out. Take a breather. Better yet, roll an alt on your destination server and see what you might be transferring into. Just because your server is deserted doesn't mean you can't play.

But there are some of you who won't listen to reasonable advice; therefore I offer you this statement in return. The rest of us will be here when you get back.

Why would I want to roll an alt on my destination server? I do actually, but I have a couple of problems with that. I don't know what my destination server will be and I can't make the race/class combo I want without my Legacy. So no, I won't be doing that.

Edited to avoid moderation :D

Edited by reagan_youth

That's kind of you. I will miss you guys too. I wish you all the best of luck.

Unless that was sarcasm. Then that was unkind of you. You never can tell.

No I was being sincere. There are very few posters who would take the time to find all the links, etc. like you just did.

Who told Bioware they needed servers filled to the brim? Wouldnt this whole process have been a whole lot simpler if they just take active server population numbers, set a goal of X people per server, and combined whatever necessary to hit these numbers WITH A SET PLAN? Worst case scenario, the game continues to die and you repeat the process in a year.

Seems to me they went into this with way too much flexibility in the plan, and ended up shooting themselves in the foot. Now they have servers that are too full, and the remainder will make servers that are too small.

Perhaps they need to start bouncing ideas off their player base, before doing some of these high impact changes? Use the collective brain power of your player base to get some creative solutions to your problems.

So after posting in "Customer Service" and getting a fantastic respose to this post i made.... They deleted this in less then 5 mins

I am sure we are not the only server that are yet to recieve a transfer but in saying that we are being screwed around. We all pay our subscription and yet we and a few other servers are left playing with a very few players online becuase of this.

WHY NOT TRANSFER EVERYONE TO THEIR NEW SERVERS NOW?

Ok you want to monitor the servers which is fine but gosh darn why leave such a small ammount of servers to suffer more low population gaming. So far since i have been awake i have seen 2 pvp games over the last 13 hours. THIS IS HORRIBLE !!!

Bio ware i pay my subscription, you make a promise of transfers on tuesday and its now friday and u have decided to take the weekend off ? Do we get to take a month of paying our subscription because we would like to monitor the servers? Wake up to yourself! This is a joke and we all pay money to be left on low population servers. You will lose more players unless you pull ur finger out and fix this!

gosh darn i have never been so angry over a game before and i feel like a large nerd but WOW !!!

I wanted answers from bioware or anyone with some power...

These pics where posted earlier by someone on Hyperspace cannon... That pic is a pic of EVERY person in the fleet... Explain to me how its fair to leave us there to suffer while u have a long weekend and we continue paying ur wages.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3111/facepalm1v.png

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7500/kneel.png

Edited by SimonANT

Basically, they're trying their best and their best isn't very good. Such is the life of trying to make your living off a service instead of trading goods.

You should probably comp players on affected servers the next two days to their account, since they won't be able to try the MMO version of SWTOR that the other 80% of players will be enjoying.

Why would I want to roll an alt on my destination server? I do actually, but I have a couple of problems with that. I don't know what my destination server will be and I can't make the race/class combo I want without my Legacy.

If they haven't announced where your server will be going, that is an issue. Still doesn't mean you can't play.

Who told Bioware they needed servers filled to the brim? Wouldnt this whole process have been a whole lot simpler if they just take active server population numbers, set a goal of X people per server, and combined whatever necessary to hit these numbers WITH A SET PLAN? Worst case scenario, the game continues to die and you repeat the process in a year.

Seems to me they went into this with way too much flexibility in the plan, and ended up shooting themselves in the foot. Now they have servers that are too full, and the remainder will make servers that are too small.

Perhaps they need to start bouncing ideas off their player base, before doing some of these high impact changes? Use the collective brain power of your player base to get some creative solutions to your problems.

I agree. It appears that the individual or team in charge of server population balancing has made the wrong decisions pretty consistently. There shouldn't be any monitoring involved at all. The calculations should have been made from their own data. There is a middle ground between empty and queues where players can find groups and PVP opponents in a reasonable amount of time. That should have been their target, with some head room for new players. Once that goal was set they should have tested their transfer infrastructure and gone as fast as they could to get the transfers done. That includes working a weekend crunch for some comp time in a week or two.

Fear. A lot of time companies are so risk averse (especially large ones like EA) that they take the overly cautious route to their own detriment. Conversely companies sometimes react to user pressure too easily as well (give them what they want and the will leave us alone) which causes other problems. Its a balancing act that is easy to get wrong and hard to get right.

Fear is the mind-killer.....

Do you have a link to a dev post about this? From the tone of your post I take it that some of this is conjecture based off of something said, I'd like to know where that is coming from.

While I foresee micro-transactions especially for things like extra character slots, I don't know that they are specifically looking to prevent "legacy" consolidation with the transfers. As it is possible if you just happen to have characters on the two servers they have picked.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/character-transfer-server-populations-and-you

Fear is the mind-killer.....

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

:)