Transfers Tomorrow - Are you excited?

wutru

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find their lack of communication disturbing :mad:

And just what do you expect them to communicate? I think it's pretty clear that they're going to start with a fairly conservative number of origin servers for a few (or even one) destination server and get a feel for how many people are transferring before they roll out more. The appropriate number of origin servers per destination server would be very different if 90% of the active players transfer compared to 10%, and I don't think any of us can give an accurate estimate of how many people are going to transfer that isn't pure SWAG (scientific wild *** guess).

Seriously, announcing a plan and then having to change it because your estimate was too high or too low would be far worse PR flack than doing exactly what they're doing. Can you imagine what would happen if their estimate was off? Having to change plans that they had already announced, people whining because they created alts to hold names on servers that they were scheduled to be transferred to just to have it change at the last minute and they wind up somewhere else with their name taken? Or worse, they start all the transfers right away, realize that they seriously underestimated the number of people that would take the transfer, and wind up with either full servers, or having to change a destination after transfers have started, splitting up friends/a guild? Or overestimating the number, and having to go through another round of transfers because not enough people transferred to reach their population goals on the destination servers?

Yes, doing straight merges would probably resolve this, but that's not the way they went. We don't know if it's because of the stigma of server merges or just some other factor that we don't know. So this is pretty much the best way to implement the transfers that they've decided to do.

I'm apprehensive because I don't really wish to see my server emptied of any more people, as it's one of the top population servers. Even then, it doesn't seem to have nearly enough people at times, and could certainly use more. Edited by ProsaicProse

No, I'm pretty worried. Since they are transferring people to already populated servers, the transfers will have to deal with the legions of names held by inactive and unsubscribed players. They are making it extremely difficult to move a guild, and the lack of advance notice just makes things that much harder. I'm dreading how many guild members I'm going to lose because they can't have their names anymore.

Basically, this is the worst way they could have gone about doing transfers.

I find their lack of communication disturbing :mad:

They told us they will give us more info on the 12th of June. It is not the 12th yet. Just because you want the info now, does not mean there is a lack of communication.

Interested to see if my server is a destination or an origin. Not sure I'm "excited" but either way it will be nice to have more people to PVP with and help make the group finder tool more usable once 1.3 is out. I feel positive about the strategy over all and have realistic expectations for this first wave of transfers.

:jawa_smile:

Excited?

Isn't it a sad thing when only 6-7 months in since launch that server consolidation is needed to keep things afloat?

Bioware keeps dancing around the issue and is just calling this normal server transfers. (As they should, announcing it straight out would be a PR disaster of spectacular proportions.)

These are effective server merges. Anyone who stays behind has a good chance of being on a server with only a handful of others.

It was a colossal misstep to put up 200 servers and have such a low population cap. They are going to now pay the price for that for the rest of the games lifespan. You only get one first impression and the vast majority of the gaming population didn't like what they saw during the honeymoon period. The game is a literal joke now in most gaming circles.

I'm just glad I will have more than 20 people on the fleet republic side now during prime time hours. Maybe even able to run some pvp games that aren't cancelled outright due to lack of players.

The simple fact was that this was needed back in February. The damage has been done.

Edited by Aquanatah

I'm apprehensive because I don't really wish to see my server emptied of any more people, as it's one of the top population servers. Even then, it doesn't seem to have nearly enough people at times, and could certainly use more.

Same with me. I'm hoping the server with most of my characters on it is a destination, and not a transfer off point, as I like my server and I don't really feel like moving. I also don't want my characters on one of the most populated servers to be a transfer off point otherwise that server will most likely become a ghost town then what am I left with? Lack of details until tomorrow is what bugs me. Time to play the waiting game...

I suspect no matter how and what they do.

The forum is going to be filled with angry people.

Seems to be the norm in this community.

History has been pretty much like this:

Players - "we want a LFG tool" - Bioware - "OK we are implementing one" - Players "It doesn't have what we want in it"

Players - "Servers are dead" - Bioware - "ok we are going to merge servers" - Players "Make mine a destination, this is going to suck, They are going to screw this up"

Players - "Some classes are over powered" - Bioware " Ok we made some changes to some classes that weren't as intended" - Players - "You nerfed me. This game is Fail and your devs have no clue"

It goes on and on and on and on...

Edited by MaulIsGod
Spelling

No I'm not excited. People at pve cant transfer to pvp, people at rp cant transfer to pvp or pve. Limits like the rest of the game, embarassing.

LOL

This post proved my last post.

If you want to be a specific type of server. Maybe you should have rolled there in the first place.

I know it would be stupid to reveal the entire list of servers but they could go ahead and tell us what the first destination server is, as well as the list of first origins so those of us that like to schedule our time wisely will know if there's any reason to bother being at the PC tomorrow.

I know it would be stupid to reveal the entire list of servers but they could go ahead and tell us what the first destination server is, as well as the list of first origins so those of us that like to schedule our time wisely will know if there's any reason to bother being at the PC tomorrow.

Patience, youngling. :csw_yoda:

LOL

This post proved my last post.

If you want to be a specific type of server. Maybe you should have rolled there in the first place.

If only it were always that simple. You got to remember a lot of folks got locked into their servers based on the guilds they were in pre release and not everyone in those guilds was on the same page about everything such as pvp. I for one wanted a pve server, but I also wanted to stick with my gaming guild that I have been a part of for a long time. As such I ended up going with them to a pvp server at launch. That guild has now died on SWTOR, but I still enjoy the game. With my server being dead I re rolled a character on a pve server like I wanted to originally and I have found a good group of people that invited me to their guild and I have now become friends with. Its situations like this that bioware overlooked when making their decisions about transfers. I am thinking though that bioware will open up transfers in the future that will accomadate people in my same situation so I wait here patiently for that option.

Where did they say they were using existing servers as destination? I must have missed that.

It'd make a whole lot more sense, to me, to start a brand new fresh server of each play type, not allow any new character creations on that server so folks can't go reserving names, and then let us transfer our toons at a controlled pace.

But to the point - I am very excited. This has the potential to save this (still) very fun game.

Where did they say they were using existing servers as destination? I must have missed that.

It'd make a whole lot more sense, to me, to start a brand new fresh server of each play type, not allow any new character creations on that server so folks can't go reserving names, and then let us transfer our toons at a controlled pace.

But to the point - I am very excited. This has the potential to save this (still) very fun game.

So you think the answer to too many servers is more servers? Hows that logic work?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.