Regarding server queues

StephenReid

Why is it I could stay connected to SWG all day and all nite in a pet grind group and never lose connection but get kicked from TOR at leats 2 times a day? I think they kick people to get people waiting in the game, not to help the issue but to try and pacify people so they dont complain.

Actually there was one server that did some thing similar in my beta group. When it hit its max load it start dropping people randomly. It was said to be a bad server and was fixed it shortly after but there may have been more that had the same issue.

Edited by Silverrey

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very patient, and I know the game should be judged after the 20th, but just telling:

Tomb of Freedon Nadd - English PvP.

Estimated Wait Time: 2 hours.

Real Wait Time: 5 hours.

It just doesn't seem manageable and reasonable to me. Allow Guild Migrations or increase the capacity of the Servers with more player demand. And you have to do it as quickly as possible, the players are starting to be pissed.

By the way, these queues are the result of a total disregard to the 'smaller' European countries. Independently of the language, we feel like we haven't been treated like Germany, France or UK.

However, I can only speak for my community, the Spanish. It is a HUGE one, and we have experienced this issues in other MMORPGs. So, a few months ago, we sent an e-mail to the Community Manager Team, exposing the situation and proposing some ways to prevent it... Look to other succesful MMORPGs, and you will see what I'm talking about.

Until now, we feel that we have been completely ignored. After the 20th, we will need answers, and most important: Solutions.

Edited by Rodal_Lobar

I'm very patient, and I know the game should be judged after the 20th, but just telling:

Tomb of Freedon Nadd - English PvP.

Estimated Wait Time: 2 hours.

Real Wait Time: 5 hours.

It just doesn't seem manageable and reasonable to me. Allow Guild Migrations or increase the capacity of the Servers with more player demand. And you have to do it quick, the players are starting to be pissed.

By the way, these queues are the result of a total disregard to the 'smaller' European countries. Independently of the language, we feel like we haven't been treated like Germany, France or UK.

However, I can only speak for my community, the Spanish. It is a HUGE one, and we have experienced this issues in other MMORPGs. So, we sent an e-mail to the Community Manager Team, exposing the situation and proposing some ways to prevent it... Look to other succesful MMORPGs, and you will see what I'm talking about.

Until now, we feel that we have been completely ignored. After the 20th, we will need answers, and most important: Solutions.

The two largest unrecognized groups of players are the Spanish and the Brazilians, This is a major issue that I really wish BioWare/EA would've addressed. WoW had this problem because they left out the BR/Spanish community so they were forced to play on US servers. This ruined the gaming experience for Americans due to the large amount of Foreigners who didn't understand their language, and who couldn't comprehend with the language barrier. If BioWare offered these two large population of players their own servers that would free up space immensely! Don't forget those players BioWare they contribute to your success, even though I'm not a part of that community I can emphasize the lack of recognition they get.

Why is it I could stay connected to SWG all day and all nite in a pet grind group and never lose connection but get kicked from TOR at leats 2 times a day? I think they kick people to get people waiting in the game, not to help the issue but to try and pacify people so they dont complain.

Ppfff what an imagination. I've never been disconnected or crushed. The problem is either with your ISP or your PC.

OK, peeps, let's look at this reasonably.

Are the servers currently overpopulated? Yes. Are the queues way too long? On most servers, absolutely. On some servers, not at all.

What should BioWare do?

1. They need to raise the population caps on each server

2. They need to add more servers as soon as possible

3. They need to understand that a queue over 200 on any server is about 150 too many.

4. Allow some guilds to move freely to new servers to take pressure off of the busiest servers (Mind Trick server, I still love you, but I'd move in a heartbeat).

At this point, I think they've gotten it loud and clear.

What YOU can do?

1. Quit griping. If the queue is too long, go to a less busy server. None of us have gotten so far in our characters that we can't switch servers at this point.

2. Go try out an alt on another server even if you don't want to move the entire group or guild. It'll give you a chance to try out a server with a different rule set, or a different culture to it, and it'll let you try some class you might not have tried otherwise.

3. Recognize that 'launch' and 'normal operations' are not the same AT ALL. December and January will be the single biggest months that this game likely will have. EXPECT that it will be busy.

4. You can't just 'add more servers'. Those have to be run by _people_, and you can't just hire highly qualified (note the 'highly qualified' there) computer personnel for 1 month and then cut them loose again. You have to have more GMs, more staff keeping track of problems, etc., etc.

5. If you're going to not play due to long queues, well, join in late January or February instead of Launch day. No one says you have to play during the single busiest month this game will ever have. The game will still be here early spring.

6. You want to threaten with ditching a sub because you can't get on a specific server at the time you want without a line? Seriously? Before the game officially even launches? Some of you are complaining about 5 or 10 minute waits as if that's just the worst thing in the universe. Wow. My school-ager shows more patience and restraint than some of you here.

So BioWare needs to do two things:

a. add more servers, but not so many that they'll have to merge a bunch of underpopulated servers 6 months down the road.

b. increase the cap on each server.

What we can do:

Move, take a deep breath and wait, or take a break for a month or two til the server waits go down.

a. move to another server if the queue is unacceptably high. You all sound like you're stuck on 1 server. You're not.

b. understand that there _will_ be some queues at launch. LOTS of people want to play. You will NEED patience for the first month or so. It will get better as time goes on.

c. stomping your feel and taking your subscription ball home is fine. I'll even wave goodbye to you as you leave. Donations of your stuff to Lotus Fleet and The Walking Carpets are great.

d. Quit trolling. Aside from the fact that it clogs up the threads and keeps legitimate voices from being heard, I can tell you that you can never achieve the degree of brutally awful physical appearance that marks all 'real' trolls.

Are the servers currently overpopulated? Yes. Are the queues way too long? On most servers, absolutely. On some servers, not at all.

What should BioWare do?

3. They need to understand that a queue over 200 on any server is about 150 too many.

4. Allow some guilds to move freely to new servers to take pressure off of the busiest servers (Mind Trick server, I still love you, but I'd move in a heartbeat).

What YOU can do?

1. Quit griping. If the queue is too long, go to a less busy server. None of us have gotten so far in our characters that we can't switch servers at this point.

2. Go try out an alt on another server even if you don't want to move the entire group or guild. It'll give you a chance to try out a server with a different rule set, or a different culture to it, and it'll let you try some class you might not have tried otherwise.

3. Recognize that 'launch' and 'normal operations' are not the same AT ALL. December and January will be the single biggest months that this game likely will have. EXPECT that it will be busy.

4. You can't just 'add more servers'. Those have to be run by _people_, and you can't just hire highly qualified (note the 'highly qualified' there) computer personnel for 1 month and then cut them loose again. You have to have more GMs, more staff keeping track of problems, etc., etc.

5. If you're going to not play due to long queues, well, join in late January or February instead of Launch day. No one says you have to play during the single busiest month this game will ever have. The game will still be here early spring.

6. You want to threaten with ditching a sub because you can't get on a specific server at the time you want without a line? Seriously? Before the game officially even launches? Some of you are complaining about 5 or 10 minute waits as if that's just the worst thing in the universe. Wow. My school-ager shows more patience and restraint than some of you here.

a. add more servers, but not so many that they'll have to merge a bunch of underpopulated servers 6 months down the road.

What we can do:

Move, take a deep breath and wait, or take a break for a month or two til the server waits go down.

a. move to another server if the queue is unacceptably high. You all sound like you're stuck on 1 server. You're not.

b. understand that there _will_ be some queues at launch. LOTS of people want to play. You will NEED patience for the first month or so. It will get better as time goes on.

c. stomping your feel and taking your subscription ball home is fine. I'll even wave goodbye to you as you leave. Donations of your stuff to Lotus Fleet and The Walking Carpets are great.

d. Quit trolling. Aside from the fact that it clogs up the threads and keeps legitimate voices from being heard, I can tell you that you can never achieve the degree of brutally awful physical appearance that marks all 'real' trolls.

Okay.

Every popular MMO, such as SWTOR, have had long queue times at their initial launch. Heck, most even have queue times on popular servers months after launch.

One solution to queue troubles are more servers, but that is a double edged sword. As with all MMOs populations fluctuate over time. There will always be a chance of servers becoming ghost towns if populations drop too much. This will only lead to servers being merged with other servers and in that case may even create new server queues.

My advice is either deal with the queues or do not. No one is forcing you to stay and yes it may stink to have paid good money to have to deal with long queues. BUT, I promise in given time this problem will go away. Not immediately as some wish it to be, but over time.

Patience is a virtue and a populated MMO is a good MMO.

For your information I play on Krayt Dragon server and when I log in I have to deal with 30 minutes to an hour of a queue. What I do with my extra time is tab+alt back and forth between other things OR I even get up out of my chair and do something constructive. Like cleaning the dishes or taking out the trash. I am not saying you should do exactly as I do, all I am saying is this is something all players have to deal with. Sooner or later it won't be.

What should BioWare do?

What YOU can do?

What we can do:

You miss two MAJOR issues.

1) Bioware has its collective heads buried in the sand. They gave us this (fairly pathetic) response that says nothing, other than "We know." Most of us that do the griping just want to know that there is light at the end of this tunnel. We want COMMUNICATION, not instant magical pixie dust leprechaun fixes. I'm in a "70 minute" queue right now that takes about3, 3.5 hours. Come Tuesday, with no changes, taht becomes... what? a "3 hour" queue that lasts 9 hours?

2) I spent my time in queue today, all three hours of it. Three times. Glitchy, laggy launch (which is to be expected, not griping about that) hiccups the server and boots me. Yes, probably as much my ISP as the server/game. But that doesn't change the fact (well, opinion, but one shared by 95or so percent of us) that I shouldn't have to requeue for 3 hours because of a minor disconnect.

@JaeOnasi

Well crafted post, but you forget about us role players, that have been shoved with their respective guilds onto two(2!) servers by BW, that can possibly go nowhere else, the price being losing their guild AND the roleplaying environment.

BW did mess up big time here. If these queues (and I don't mind up to 30 minutes at launch, up to 10 minutes during prime time, no queues at ALL during regular hours) don't get alleviated somehow, players will start leaving in droves. That, as all of us can probably agree on, would be a terrible hit for TOR so early on.

BW needs to do something. And fast!

-E

Edited by Electricdawn

i can see everyone at bioware reading this just wanting to say 'calm the f**k down' its just a game...

so CALM DOWN its just a game guys. Its not even released yet and theres QQ all over the place. Give them time to resolve the issue instead of beating the same drum over 100's of pages of GD.

im sick of seeing people whinge about the QUES... they are aware of it clearly, and they will work on it...

i could understand if this was 2-3 weeks in to the game and there were no announcements as to what was happening, but honestly the greater portion of you people are carrying on like 2 year olds who want a chocolate

Honestly I don't like complainers either, But the 2+ hour que's though are unnecessary, the servers are NOT full they just want people to populate less crowded servers, 20 min que's are more than enough incentive to choose a low population server over a full server.

I know Wow had a bit of a rough start as well, (I was There) but hey they had thing going pretty well after 5 days.

And I must say i have been kinda pissed off after a 3 hour wait to play 10 min then have to be que'ed for 2hours after a disconnect.

And don't tell me I need a better Computer or internet connection, my Computer and provider better than most ,(I like my toys).

i can see everyone at bioware reading this just wanting to say 'calm the f**k down' its just a game...

so CALM DOWN its just a game guys. Its not even released yet and theres QQ all over the place. Give them time to resolve the issue instead of beating the same drum over 100's of pages of GD.

im sick of seeing people whinge about the QUES... they are aware of it clearly, and they will work on it...

i could understand if this was 2-3 weeks in to the game and there were no announcements as to what was happening, but honestly the greater portion of you people are carrying on like 2 year olds who want a chocolate

It is a Game i payed 140 Bucks for, and it is a game i will have to pay 13 each month if i intend to play it. For Bioware and EA it is substantial because they have to cover immense development costs.

So if you have it for free, let me know how.

Reasonable queues? Waiting too long?

The sense of this words worries me deeply.

One single minute is waiting too long, and any lenght of queue is not reasonable.

We, the "Folks", are clients, and we expect to enter the game INMEDIATLY.

We do, of course, understand that certain cirsumstances ( such as these first days of game ) will likely generate queues, and we accept it, but only as extraordinary happenings.

If you expect that the standard in the game are "reasonable" queues and not waiting "too long" much people is not going to purchase a second month...

Edited by Orejaempezar

Ppfff what an imagination. I've never been disconnected or crushed. The problem is either with your ISP or your PC.

Not exactly right.

Every ISP disconnects every 13.55 Hours.

A PC does not crash a client. Its mostly a Programm Error.

And he is mostly right about swg, beside the fact that you would have been auto logged out after a time afk.

4 hours queues is a bit ******** if you ask me. My server Legions of Lettow is one of the most popular EU Eglish PvP server and I'm in because of guild placement program. Half of the guild has to wait for literally 4 hours just to get in, if you DC you might as well not try again. Please lockdown the server and increase the capacity!

I got in with a 751 Queue in an hour and a half. Call your ISP about your internet disconnections.

your ISP has nothing to do about it.

You maybe have difficulties tu understand what Queue means.

It means that there are an ammount of X Players ahead of you to log in to the Server, once they all logged in, you can log in.

If you are in within this short span of time, it could mean people logged off in the numbers 700 and above or quite the Queue.

But it is not your ISP.

It is a Game i payed 140 Bucks for, and it is a game i will have to pay 13 each month if i intend to play it. For Bioware and EA it is substantial because they have to cover immense development costs.

So if you have it for free, let me know how.

what i am saying is the game has not even been released yet... i ould UNDERSTAND it if after a week or 2 AFTER release nothing was being done.

Your argument is invalid as the game is not released, however i can see where you are coming from. I am on Swiftsure and i am sure this is the most heavily populated server. i had a que of nearly 3000 and had to wait 5 hours to get into a game. All i am saying is be patient as the game hasnt even been released.