Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Actually yes, you're right. All this guy is suggesting is that Bioware patches in SGRA's... like we've been told they will.

Seemingly unintentionally so, if I'm reading their context correctly. They suggested an outright expansion pack for it to make it optional, and only said "free expansion" to respond to how much of a PR nightmare it would be to extort the LGBT audience like that.

If they truly meant free expansion to be read as a content patch... There's absolutely no reason for this circular discussion. That was already the consensus, no?

I wonder if while they implement SGRA they will also think about wether they want to keep it mandatory that we be commited to only one companion.

At this time it seems that out characters are not only straight but also that should you want to go beyhond a certain point we have to make a choice.

examples Raina vs Kalyio or Akaavi vs Risha

Would it not be good if you could all be a big happy familly?

What do you think ?

That's... possible, but I sincerely doubt they will tweak anything that substantial. Removing that would mean essentially tossing out the dialogue portions that are already in place, as well as going against Bioware's entire history of writing relationships. In nearly every one of their games, save one instance in Jade Empire and maybe a few in Baldur's Gate (can't remember much about that, so I'm guessing here), they always stick to the "you like us both, now choose" formula.

Edited by Raiellyn

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you think ?

(and yes I am trying to steer the conversation away from more post deletions)

Poly relationships would work for my Sith Juggie and it would be a nice option. Of course you'd then have to have companions who are ok with that, which would involve a fair amount of writing (and testing the player's Diplomacy bonus (Diplomancers, hoo!)).

Dark Jaesa is apparently ok with you cheating on Vette to be with her (I think?), so maybe she'd be ok with a poly relationship. It entirely depends on the character and it's just as sensitive (if not more so? I think poly is generally a taboo subject when so many people are monogamous) as the LGB options. Perhaps you could have a female companion who only approves if the poly is a man?

Edited by Tatile

Seriously, this gets on my nerves, was posting in Joveth's thread, everybody started asking for info, he said he'd pass it along, I put a small request for info on SGRAs and immediately it turns into 'NO **** IN TOR!'.

Ignore them, Bioware's already said it's going to be in the game. It's annoying as hell and completely incomprehensible, but at least we know that SGR's are coming in. Or out.

EDIT: Seems like those posts have been removed.

Edited by Tatile

Ignore them, Bioware's already said it's going to be in the game. It's annoying as hell and completely incomprehensible, but at least we know that SGR's are coming in. Or out.

EDIT: Seems like those posts have been removed.

Yeh I suppose, but post one little thing outside of this thread, you get carpet bombed with discrimination.

Bioware is (supposedly) on our side, that's all we really need. If homophobes want to quit the game over optional content all power to them, they're not the kind of people I'd want to play with (homophobic and flaky as sin).

Bioware is (supposedly) on our side, that's all we really need. If homophobes want to quit the game over optional content all power to them, they're not the kind of people I'd want to play with (homophobic and flaky as sin).
BioWare's said before that they're not going to let peoples' protests or what-have-you keep them from adding SGRs to the game. So I think it's safe to say they are on our side. Even if they're taking their time. :o

Personally, I'd love to see the game gain a ton of new players because of SGRs. Since most games these days don't feature same-gender relationships, I can see a lot of people deciding to give TOR a try once it does. The game being F2P will only help with that. Personally, I'd laugh my butt off at all the haters if SGRs turned out to be the thing that made TOR's subscription numbers climb again. :D

Personally, I'd laugh my butt off at all the haters if SGRs turned out to be the thing that made TOR's subscription numbers climb again. :D

I really don't think that'll happen. I hope it does, I just don't think it will. As has been covered before there's not enough romance content to keep people purely based on that - which is fine, I think. I definitely want to see more and more and more companion content - extra companion missions, more and longer conversations, new abilities, perhaps even some banter between the companions (I'd love to see Kira and Doc get in an argument, or Corso getting all bro with Bowdarr) - but it is optional content.

I truly think that SGRAs could definitely get people interested in the game and that some of those people will keep playing it because, really, it's a great game... but I don't really see anyone staying with it purely because of SGRAs alone. And if all companion relationship content is free to everyone come F2P (which I think it should be) there won't be any real need for folks to buy a subscription if the SGRAs are all they want.

That's fine with me. I'm not sticking around only because SGRAs are coming. There's a lot more about the game that I like. And I don't plan on cancelling my subscription when F2P starts.

BioWare's said before that they're not going to let peoples' protests or what-have-you keep them from adding SGRs to the game. So I think it's safe to say they are on our side. Even if they're taking their time. :o

I was actually referring to the fact that Bioware's given us toss all information recently about when SGRA's are coming in, which implies they're so far down the list of development they rank somewhere just above "helmets that don't cause irreparable brain damage to Twi'leks" than to all the mind-numbling arse-backwards protests that so-called people are giving. I should have been more specific.

@Ixum: Yes, the individuals against SGRA's generally wouldn't blink at HLA and probably have stacks and stacks of it on their HDD's. You even so much as mention men in a sexual or romantic context and they suddenly become all offended.

Am I bitter? Yeah, a little. If only for the fact that this bizarre notion that people are automagically inferior to you simply because they're different is entirely without rhyme or reason and is one of the chief reasons why the entire world is an arse-backwards place.

I truly think that SGRAs could definitely get people interested in the game and that some of those people will keep playing it because, really, it's a great game... but I don't really see anyone staying with it purely because of SGRAs alone. And if all companion relationship content is free to everyone come F2P (which I think it should be) there won't be any real need for folks to buy a subscription if the SGRAs are all they want.
Yeah... that makes a lot more sense. My only excuse for my last post is that it was late and I was tired, and it made perfect sense to me then... less so this morning. Eh heh heh. :o

I was actually referring to the fact that Bioware's given us toss all information recently about when SGRA's are coming in, which implies they're so far down the list of development they rank somewhere just above "helmets that don't cause irreparable brain damage to Twi'leks" than to all the mind-numbling arse-backwards protests that so-called people are giving. I should have been more specific.
Well, we haven't heard a thing about Makeb or HK-51, or any of the new flashpoints or operations or space missions, since they were announced. Does that mean they've all been shoved down the development list too?

It's nigh-impossible to determine what's going on behind closed doors at a game company just by what they announce, and besides, anything they announce for TOR is going to be stuff they think will draw people in and make them want to play. Sadly, SGRs aren't likely on that list. But as I've said before, no news means only that, no news. Claiming the lack of news implies anything is just speculation.

Has BW said anything at all since the guild summit?

there all the layoffs and a complete restucturing of the game.

so is it still being worked on, or is it just quietly being swept under the rug?

As far as I understand the Summit is the last official word on it. Whether it's being worked on or not is a matter of some speculation; I guess it's a matter of whether we individually trust Bioware is still putting it in or not. I've decided to trust them.

• Dev Post
Everyone, we have had to remove many posts from this thread (again!). The forums are not the place to discuss social or political issues, and this thread is not the place to discuss whether or not you'd like to see this feature added to the game. This thread's purpose is to ask for more clarifications and discuss the feature, and disruptive posts will be removed without warning.

Thank you Mods! <Hugs Mods> ;)

Seriously I feel that I'm lucky not to have to many maxed level characters, on the off chance you need to start all over again for SGRA. Plus leaving some classes unplayed will give me the chance to experience both a whole new storyline and SGRA at the same time.

Thank you Mods! <Hugs Mods> ;)

Seriously I feel that I'm lucky not to have to many maxed level characters, on the off chance you need to start all over again for SGRA. Plus leaving some classes unplayed will give me the chance to experience both a whole new storyline and SGRA at the same time.

I've got one character at max (a Miraluka Jedi Sentinel). I'm hoping to have a Sith Pureblood Sith Warrior and a Twi'lek Jedi Sage at max before long. I'm suspending judgement as to who's lucky and who's not until after SGRAs are in; if I have a bunch more character options for making new SGRA-capable characters then I'm not going to be too upset. :p Miraluka Agent, maybe? Sith Pureblood Trooper?

Not entirely true. They have said that same-gender content will be implemented with other new story content, this year. That is a large ballpark, and it's only recent in terms of how long after the prior announcement our Guild Summit news came.

The intent might have been this, but unless they make it some sort of wonderful Christmas present, I'm starting to fear it will be side-lined in favour of F2P Fluff. I'm not saying it will be, but I am saying it's something that worries me. I realise that this means that people are going to want to reassure me and say that Bioware's said this and Bioware's said that and, while I appreciate the effort, don't bother. I know all of what Bioware has promised, but that doesn't alleviate my concerns. Like I said, I expect a monsoon and plan accordingly. I hope for sun.

I'm not trying to reassure anyone - just trying to keep in sight what the most recent information said. When I heard "this year", I stopped expecting anything sooner than December as, with everything else they were discussing, to hear that it would wait on new story content kinda told me it would be a while. There is still over 1/3 of 2012 to come, however, which leaves plenty of time for this to happen on schedule.

Not sure if anyone else saw it or has posted there, but there's a new thread that's a message from the community manager. He's answered several questions in it, and even though a lot of his answers boil down to asking the devs and getting that there's no new information, I thought it might be a good place to ask for more information on SGRs and remind BioWare that we're still waiting to hear from them on this.

How much it will help, I obviously don't know, but it can't hurt to make our voices heard again in a thread specifically made for talking to the people who talk to the devs. Worth a try.

Edit to add: please remember to just flag, not fight, over there too. I know we'll get the haters just by asking about SGRs, but let's not stoop to their level. I apologize to the mods here for slipping and replying to that troll this morning. :(

Edited by MusedMoose

Not sure if anyone else saw it or has posted there, but there's a new thread that's a message from the community manager. He's answered several questions in it, and even though a lot of his answers boil down to asking the devs and getting that there's no new information, I thought it might be a good place to ask for more information on SGRs and remind BioWare that we're still waiting to hear from them on this.

How much it will help, I obviously don't know, but it can't hurt to make our voices heard again in a thread specifically made for talking to the people who talk to the devs. Worth a try.

Edit to add: please remember to just flag, not fight, over there too. I know we'll get the haters just by asking about SGRs, but let's not stoop to their level. I apologize to the mods here for slipping and replying to that troll this morning. :(

Hmm. A hell of a lot of cynicism in that thread but I'm finding a lot to be positive about in JovethGonzales's words. It'll be interesting to see if any answers come of it.

Hmm. A hell of a lot of cynicism in that thread but I'm finding a lot to be positive about in JovethGonzales's words. It'll be interesting to see if any answers come of it.

The cynicism is largely because when we have finally started to see the Community Team (as in: holy crap, they're still alive?) all that has been given to us so far is vague, hand-waving gestures - or at least that's what it seems like. The cynicism is certainly not directed at us and I do have the feeling that some (if there are any) attacks on SGRA's as being "unwarranted, non-crucial content" (as in not Ops, Flashpoints, Warzones etc.) will be because of Bioware's inability to discuss anything with us and the frustration that creates. If Bioware gave more than just vague hand-waving responses to questions about the above, I'd like to think that people would be more relaxed to allowing the idea of non-end-game content. This is largely because with the lack of communication it gives us (or at least me) the sense that Bioware has extremely limited development resources and everyone is going to be clamouring to have the biggest portion of the development cycle, meaning they'd attack what they would consider "threats". See the PvE vs. PvP development debates - we're slightly smaller than either of those camps, so we make an easy target.