Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Well, honestly, the really rude part is that they haven't answered us. They really could.

I really would like to play something that is LGBT inclusive or excludes all romance options.

Honestly, if they excluded all romance options at this stage I'd quit. Not for lack of romance options, really; simply because there's no good reason for them to uproot the romance system that's there when they can simply become LGBT-inclusive which, really, should have happened from word go anyway.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, honestly, the really rude part is that they haven't answered us. They really could.

Bioware doesn't have manners. If this were a dinner party they'd have been kicked out before the pre-dinner cheeses were even finished.

The only thing we can really do is continue to raise the profile of this and get the whispers going. They're never going to answer us because that means they have to admit to making the decision to discriminate against the LGBT positive community during development, and that goes against their "look at us, we're amazing *bats eyelashes*" stance.

Honestly, if they excluded all romance options at this stage I'd quit. Not for lack of romance options, really; simply because there's no good reason for them to uproot the romance system that's there when they can simply become LGBT-inclusive which, really, should have happened from word go anyway.

Oh, I kind of wrote that badly. I meant that I'd move on somewhere. Honestly, I'd rather they included SGRA's, but if they don't, then I'll go somewhere else where they either have no romances or have SGRAs.

Bioware doesn't have manners. If this were a dinner party they'd have been kicked out before the pre-dinner cheeses were even finished.

The only thing we can really do is continue to raise the profile of this and get the whispers going. They're never going to answer us because that means they have to admit to making the decision to discriminate against the LGBT positive community during development, and that goes against their "look at us, we're amazing *bats eyelashes*" stance.

Well...if they don't give me an answer soon, I'll be writing an article about BioWare Austin being discriminatory, and how one bad title undermines all the good work BioWare's done with The Sims and other games.

Well...if they don't give me an answer soon, I'll be writing an article about BioWare Austin being discriminatory, and how one bad title undermines all the good work BioWare's done with The Sims and other games.

The Sims is a (former) Maxis and (current) The Sims Studio game series.

Oh, I kind of wrote that badly. I meant that I'd move on somewhere. Honestly, I'd rather they included SGRA's, but if they don't, then I'll go somewhere else where they either have no romances or have SGRAs.

<nods> Gotcha. And it seems such a simple thing for them to baulk over. Hot-button or not, Bioware (as a whole) has a history of saying to the entitled heteronormative crowd, 'No, stuff it, we're putting it in because more options to include more people is just BETTER, yo,' and when it comes right down to the core of it there's no good reason Bioware: Austin can't do the same.

Edmonton gets it, and whether people have issues with the way they've implemented such things isn't as important a point as that they've taken steps to be inclusive. Austin needs to step up to the plate, and they need to throw this weird and pointless gag order in the bin.

<nods> Gotcha. And it seems such a simple thing for them to baulk over. Hot-button or not, Bioware (as a whole) has a history of saying to the entitled heteronormative crowd, 'No, stuff it, we're putting it in because more options to include more people is just BETTER, yo,' and when it comes right down to the core of it there's no good reason Bioware: Austin can't do the same.

Edmonton gets it, and whether people have issues with the way they've implemented such things isn't as important a point as that they've taken steps to be inclusive. Austin needs to step up to the plate, and they need to throw this weird and pointless gag order in the bin.

So far, no one has really made an issue about this, but it can be made into a major issue if someone wants to, and that could hurt BioWare, EA Games, and Lucas Film.

Hey everyone,

I've been following this thread for quite some time, as I'm eagerly awaiting/hoping for SGRAs. I believe that if a game features OGRAs, it should also feature SGRAs, period.

I see many posts in this thread that seem to be very reasonable, well researched, and well informed; I presume the regular posters here know much more about this subject than I do, and I feel like maybe I'm missing something important; allow me to explain my reasoning, and you guys can tell me if there are holes in it.

I've been getting the impression that many of you are worried about SGRAs being scrapped or delayed, but given what I've read, I would think the evidence would point to other, less tragic outcomes. I could be wrong, and please feel free to poke holes in the following few paragraphs if there's something I don't seem to understand.

Bioware employees have said that SGRAs are coming, and no EA/Bioware employee has said anything to indicate that SGRAs been scrapped or delayed. The last word we have from Bioware was a tweet from Hal Hood, which confirmed that SGRAs were coming with Makeb, and was quickly deleted, presumably after Mr. Hood was reprimanded by his superiors. It's obvious that anyone with any information is under some kind of gag order from EA/Bioware, but any information that has slipped out has been good news. They did break the promise of delivering the full story before the end of 2012, but they haven't released any more story content yet, and Bioware did say that SGRAs were coming with the full story.

I believe that EA/Bioware should be more open about their plans for the game in general, but I see two plausible reasons (which could both be true simultaneously) why EA/Bioware would issue a company-wide gag order on this subject.

Reason #1: They don't want to reveal anything that they believe is a story spoiler, and they have a different definition of what a story spoiler is than we do. It's possible they have a great big manual of company policy that is difficult to change without cutting through a great deal of red tape, and that manual has a strict definition of "story spoiler" that isn't based on common sense.

Reason #2: They want to wait until the last minute to reveal SGRA content, because they want to avoid taking preemptive flak from bigoted activist groups; it's possible they're keeping SGRA content secret until the last minute specifically to protect SGRAs - imagine if hate groups found a way to influence EA's stock price, causing investors to put pressure on EA's top management to scrap anything "controversial" - I think such a basic issue of human rights shouldn't be controversial in the first place, but EA investors might consider anything that affects stock prices to be "controversial." If my last sentence is true, then EA's top management is simply doing the best they can to make sure SGRAs make it into the game before EA gets targeted by hate groups. EA's top management must know that once they add SGRAs into the game, they can't remove them without taking even more flak from reasonable people, so they want to get SGRAs into the game, because they know it's the right thing to do, and they want to do it "under the radar" so the investors can't cry for their removal in the event that hate groups find a way to target EA financially.

If my reasoning holds true, then SGRAs are coming, and we can all rest easy about this issue. But, as I said before, I could be missing something big, and there are a bunch of posters who are active in this thread who seem to be very well versed on the details of this issue, so please correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

coruscantdweller,

For some of us, they could ask us to remain quite. Honestly, we're fed up with this, and just telling us would be better. Thing is, groups like One Million Moms and The American Family Association will make their lives hell anyway. Unfortunately for BioWare, I'm to the point where I am just ready to walk away...but I'm not going quietly. I'm not just some random LGBTQA player....I have a rather strong voice and I wonder how BioWare would like an all out fight from the LGBTQA blogosphere at this point.

BioWare has done a great job with LGB Inclusiveness. Unfortunately, when you pride yourself on being inclusive and then fail, even the slightest failure is enough to tarnish your reputation.

BioWare has done a great job with LGB Inclusiveness. Unfortunately, when you pride yourself on being inclusive and then fail, even the slightest failure is enough to tarnish your reputation.

Again I would point out that the SW:TOR division of BW has no history of being inclusive as they are completely separate from the rest of the BW teams.

But even if we just take BW or even EA as a whole, simply failing to be inclusive in one game isn't a terrible thing considering their history, being that the game is their flagship MMO does make it worse though, given that they like to parade around the fact they feel they are inclusive makes it still worse, given the fact they let it 'slip' in video game site articles that TOR actually does have SGRA content makes that even worse, considering the fact that the posters in this thread have go to said sites and get them to correct the article makes that even worse, and the real kicker is the treatment of the community throughout all of this and the attitude from EA/BW that we don't even exist back here that just makes the bottom fall out of the whole issue.

So it isn't just BW-Austin's failures in living up to the purported philosophies of EA and BW as game developers, its the entirety of the situation taken as a whole that really makes this a black mark on EA and BW's reputation as inclusive developers.

Nozybidaj,

Very true, and now the question is, do they really want GLAAD on their case, or worse, the LGBTQ Blogosphere? That could be about to happen depending on answers that have been asked for.

Because, honestly, I'm tired of waiting without anyone saying it will happen and specifically when.

Okay, seriously....Yule needs and come and go now. I swear doom and gloom are contagious, even for me. :(

Nothing personal, just going through a very rough week physically. I'll explain in a bit.

The fact it was from a viewer email was listed in text as part of the podcast description. Since I wrote it, that's fine by me. I didn't want my handle attached in any way, shape, or form directly.

Guys, I actually talked to the people behind the podcast yesterday (after it had been recorded.) I spent a little over an hour chatting with the two main hosts. I wanted to make sure things were clear and we agreed on a lot of points. I obtained their public Mumble info and talked to them yesterday afternoon. I care about you guys and our representation on this matter.

I've been listening to the podcast for the first time as I type this, so I can offer my thoughts in a somewhat coherent manner. While I contacted them yesterday, I didn't get a sneak peek or anything like that. :p Nor did I desire one.

They told me that I "read their minds," and said, "exactly what they were thinking." Deidre aka Sunshine has been one of the supporters and lurkers for SGRs for quite some time. Part of this was their speculation and they did say as such.

They are very passionate players, and they are pro-SGRs. They explained to me where they were going with the Disney angle. Jeff and Deidre, two of the hosts, are husband and wife, so it wasn't too hard to get in touch with them.

At the end of the podcast, they readdress Disney. They know that Disney is not anti-gay, and that they wouldn't be surprised if they saw Disney do more with LucasArts and LGBT gaming content. They also said that will be interested in doing an update down the road.

I was impressed that they did do some homework and actually come and read these threads prior to the podcast.

With my follow up yesterday, I did let them know it was about the silence, not so much lack of implementation at this point.. I do disagree with them that they didn't have enough time, as I think that they had more than enough time. It's not like Hall Hood had to start this from scratch. I will let them know as such tomorrow or Thursday.

They were making sure our case was heard while still trying to maintain some sense of neutrality. That's what I want at this point. An article from someone that was pro-SGRs but not as emotionally invested as we are.

I'm honestly not sure why there is so much hate towards them. They are really balanced about their viewpoints overall. I don't 100% agree with everything they said, but they do have good points.

When it comes to the Cathar, I'm not offended. I'm still playing DA: O, as my dwarf rogue. I was rather taken aback when the first male SGR option came up as an elf, which I thought was a pretty bad stereotype. So I'm not sure how Cathars would be any worse.

Plus, TORWars was not saying that this was the way to go. Or even that was the way they wanted to go. It was tossing around ideas, both good and bad.

Please take a few breaths and re listen. They really are on our side with this.

I knew much of what they were going to do and how they were going to approach this.

I care a ton about this and I do believe in follow-ups.

They did not know about the gay Mando couple though. ;)

I promise they are good people. After everything it took to get here, I wanted to make sure we were in good hands.

I do agree with them about something. Be patient as well as be impatient. Don't be satisfied with our answer and keep working towards it. Yet, some of this really will take a bit. If you listen, Deidre was not trying to offend us at all.

We've got the stew on the stove (if you will) with all the ingredients in place. Now it needs some time to simmer and cook. In that respect, we do need to have some patience. I have a feeling that they are going to address this after the New Year. I'm not stopping, since I want to get that podcast circulating, but I am slowing down a little.

Please bear in mind GLAAD knows what BW/EA pulled on us. Remember, they do care and they are watching this (and EA/BW) with a microscope. They did say that they were pursuing this again after the New Year. Frankly, with the holidays and all the madness floating about as of late, I'm willing to be a little more patient. I have zero reason to doubt GLAAD at all on this one.

With the, "having an alien so it's not really female" comment, that was not the opinion of TORWars. That's something they simply thought that BW would say and do to appease the anti-SGR crowd. They do not say that is how it should be done. They are being cynical of how BW might handle this just as much as we are.

I plan on trying to talk to them on Mumble again tomorrow. Please give some constructive feedback for me to give to them. Their Mumble info is also easily found on the TORWars site if you want to (politely) talk to them directly.

I've also talked to other members of their guild. They were all open and even a little surprised that BW-Austin is being so quiet. They are a good bunch and I had fun talking to all of them.

Please don't rip on the TORWars team very hard. I have plans for this podcast now that it's out.

I do agree that the co-host Brian sounds like he didn't read the mail at all and I'll mention that.

I had a lot of blood drawn today, so I can't type so well. I might have a fairly serious medical condition after a severe weight loss. I've been typing this in small chunks over the last 90 minutes.

I know it's so hard to stay upbeat, and I know we all still feel very insulted by EA/BW.

I have the next couple of steps forming in my mind....trust me. :cool:

Try not to be so gloomy! I kinda need the cheering up and I have a good feeling in my gut about the future.

I can't be the only cheerleader here. I love helping and leading you guys, but I can't be the only one that's optimistic. It's hard to for me, but I manage. I need your help in staying positive.

Do I think we'll magically get an answer? No, I still don't. Do I think finally that BW-Austin will have their double standards exposed? Yes, but it's up to us to make sure that happens. And yes, I have a plan.

Try to smile for me. That is a big one guys. We needed to first get the word out.

I'm not sure if you saw it, but they do do interviews with the bigwigs. That doesn't mean that they'll jump at Hickman (or whoever) to demand to answer about SGRs. To me, what it does means is a lot of people are going to hear this podcast. That'll mean more people aware of it....more people that we can encourage to write to the press.

I have my own theories about the answer. In the meantime, don't get mad or depressed. Get even; write the blogs you need to. I'll go into more later.

EA's stock is in bad shape to be true. For now, I'm going to state for the record that I think it will have no impact on SGRs. I honestly think that it really is coming with Makeb, they've just screwed around with us for a myriad of potential reasons.

All stupid.

So very...very...very stupid.

It does make me worried about anything post-Makeb though. That's when I think the first impact of EA's condition in the stock market is going to seep through. I don't think the whole Yule days scare is helping though. The 21st really just needs to come and go already. Too easy to see the bad side of everything.

Take care guys. Please stay strong for me.

Edited by natashina

natashina,

Two things...one, my only problem with what they said was the idea that this couldn't have been redressed faster. I'm a writer. Yeah, a novel takes ages to write, but this could probably have been done in six months.

Second, GLAAD isn't the only one paying attention. Yeah, the holidays are here and things are kind of slow and quiet.

But come the new year, the LGBT Blogosphere may be a bit less than forgiving at this point.

Yeah, I didn't have any problem with the podcast, other than the weird "alien and therefore not really female" comment. ***, so my female Chiss is not really female? damn. :p It's good that people are talking about this as many places as possible.

I don't get that either, this isn't The Left Hand of Darkness we're talking about.

As for the podcast in general, maybe they wanted to be accessible to listeners who haven't followed things, but it felt like hearing the same discussions we were having back in February and March about this. When they went over the developement/lead time scales, it just sounded like the assumption of "they haven't started yet" - that or Devil's Advocate to say the piecemeal patches are from slower completion times and not "dragging out finished content to buy time for the Cartel Market getting all the new stuff." (Maybe I was also in a bad mood after seeing the Makeb "we lied, pony up your money" kerfuffle and lack of new info with it.)

No offense to them, even the guy who sounded bored, but my first impression was "GLAAD seemed to grasp this better, sooner... and these people actually play the game." Thought about it more, and I get that it was a 'Dummy's Guide intro' for their audience to gauge opinions, more than us - a good start, hopefully it's fruitful.

Edited by Palar

natashina,

Two things...one, my only problem with what they said was the idea that this couldn't have been redressed faster. I'm a writer. Yeah, a novel takes ages to write, but this could probably have been done in six months.

Mind you, this isn't just about the writing. I'm a writer as well. It was also about VA and animation and all those details.

I'm not apologizing for EA/BW though. This has been really...fracked up. It does not excuse EA/BW doing shady crap like gushing about the LGBT gamer base with one of their two faces, the other ignoring us. My goal is to still let the world know about the double standards and punch a few serious holes into their PR image towards the LGBT gamer community.

edit: Also, I'm willing to bet now that SGRs are finished. However they are being childish and cowardly about it for now, for whatever reason.

I will still state that BW-Austin had more than enough writer and other lead time up to now. I hated that assumption that came out of the podcast. Again, it's not like Hall Hood came up with the writing all by himself.

Please don't mistake me! I think BW-Austin should have addressed this a helluva lot sooner. That was one of the points I strongly disagreed with from the podcast. I will be bringing that up with them later.

I will also bring up the point that it sounded like Brian didn't do more than maybe scan the letter. That was the one area that I was pretty pissed off about.

That when he commented that the SSSP people haven't gotten answer for months either. "Except at the Livestream."

No offense to the members of TORWars that might be following this reaction, but he really missed the point. So much so it left me a little offended. If we had at least gotten acknowledged at the Livestream, this whole thing wouldn't have happened. Or at least not so quickly.

Second, GLAAD isn't the only one paying attention. Yeah, the holidays are here and things are kind of slow and quiet.

But come the new year, the LGBT Blogosphere may be a bit less than forgiving at this point.

That's more than fine by me. :D

After everything that's happened, I'm willing to relax for about 2 weeks. Until the New Year.

Then I'm going to do what I can to ramp things back up.

Your tone came off as really offended. I promise that I didn't mean to offend. :(

Edited by natashina

Oh and about relaxing on the issue:

I should clarify this. I'm going to start sending out that link to the podcast to the sites I've hit up before. I'm not contacting GLAAD about it just yet. I want to give this some time to get out there. I'm backing off on major emails for now.

I also need the help from some of the braver posters in here. I know for a fact that places like mmo-champ and others have had threads popping up quite a bit asking about SGRs. I mention the brave part because I don't think I could go into some of those forums and do it. I don't quite have the mental stamina. I was hoping if some of the more brave of you could start going to those sites and link the podcast?

A quick search on google will get a bunch of sites. I'll be emailing those sites, for sure. However, I need you guys to help spread the word across the net. Link it anywhere and everywhere that has threads about SGRs in this game.

Make sure that there is already a relevant thread on the subject. Please don't go in and hijack threads. If it's a top number of things that players would like to see in ToR, please write more than just SGRs. It'll show the other posters that you enjoy the game as well as desiring SGRs.

I do encourage starting your own thread though, for the more brave than I'll ever be. ;)

I'm keeping the pressure and noise up. Oh, they aren't getting away that easily. Not after all of this.

I'm just easing up some is all. Some=13 days.

I've also been nonstop at this since the 29th. I need to slow down some. ;)

Edited by natashina

I wasn't offended. Sometimes I can come across as a bit curt. I'll snag the podcast for my site for tomorrow. I'm in a lot of pain right now, so I'm not writing quite so coherently. Plus....some things in my TOR guild have made me a bit uncomfortable lately to the point of wanting to find another, more LGBT friendly guild even if it means changing servers and starting all over again.

Oh, and I did start my own thread...they merged it with another thread.

Edited by Joushigun

meh... silly podcast. I think some ppl just dont understand that SGRAs are stories, not a new technical feature or a game mechanic. New story is coming, so if its a priority issue they should drop one of the generic kill x amount of droids missions and focus on SGRAs.

I'm glad I didn't offend you. Oooh believe me, I do have a few points of feedback to give. I'm not going to shoot the messenger though, but our feedback will be heard.

<looks that a new thread started on swtor.com>

No no no...

Don't start your own thread here. I know that about as good as peeing in the wind at this point.

I meant on sites like mmo-champ, the various sites Gamespot and IGN host. Other swtor related sites you can find. :D

@Ixum That's how changes start though. One person does a well done story about this matter, it brings visibility. I'm not going to say that TORWars is 100% correct. I don't agree with everything they said. But, by spreading this podcast far and wide, it shows that BW/EA has not said a word. That they are jerking the players around in some way. And that people outside of our thread/community do care.

Also, they said they were trying to look at it from different angles. For the most part, they were looking at possibilities. They never said that some of the more iffy ideas were good ones or if that was what they wanted to happen.

One of the hosts I felt like was trying to blow the whole thing off, but I'm not getting into that further for now.

Now we make sure everyone knows this. Write your blogs and get the link out. I'm going to try to get more sites to write on this now.

We might not be able to get an answer. I do believe we can get BW/EA held accountable for using and lying to the LGBT playerbase. Omission is as good and as hurtful as hate and silence. They used us, and we've got to make sure that it's known quickly.

Edited by natashina

Last thing, I promise. My left arm is cussing at me.

I've thought about some of the players that have been outed in their guilds and the tough time many of them have. There is going to need to be some refuges. I can also look around and see if there is any LGBT friendly guilds on my US server.

I'm in two guilds at the moment. One of them is my level 50 raiding guild. They are a really good bunch of guys. I use the term guys literally; I'm the only token female. :p I really have a lot of fun doing Ops and HMs with them and they are very patient. They'll allow me to fully watch a cutscene if I've never done the run before. They give me lots of tips and advice and I gel with their sense of humor.

However, they've kinda "been there, done that" too many times with the story and planet quests. I only have 2 50s, one of which I almost never play.

I joined another guild on an alt for the social aspect. I ended up roling up a LS Sith Mara this time. Good heart, but still a Sith. Sound familiar? ;)

It looks like a fun and very open minded bunch on the server. They are either pro-SGR or neutral. However, in time, it may prove to be a refuge. I know that they would accept me.

I don't know how well my raiding guild would react if they put this name from here together directly with me. I honestly believe that EA/BW will be forced to say something just after the New Year. When that time comes, I'll see the reactions from my guild. Again, I'll stress that these seem to be a good bunch of guys all in all.

I have limits though. Honestly, if anyone of them started the hateful LGBT bashing, I'd probably just leave. I wouldn't be able to stay civil.

If anyone wants to know what server and toon names I have, send me a PM. I have another idea for a couple of months down the road. I can also see if my server would be a viable place for me to help some of you guys attempt to contact a LGBT friendly guild.

I'm going to be starting a blogspot this week. I'd like a place where I can speak a lot more freely and where you guys can give feedback about SGRs and the handling of them more freely.

I'll let you know when I have it set up.

Edit: I didn't mean to ignore you coruscantdweller. I'll be addressing your post later, especially with reason #2. Thank you for the lighter hearted approach though.

Edited by natashina

We all know that it takes days or even hours, not a year, to disable the 'gender check' for the romances in the game, so time has nothing to do with why it hasn't been implemented yet, its just because they dont want to. But I'd like to offer a pro-active suggestion. Since obviously they are afraid of negative feedback for implementing this option, there's a super DUPER easy way to avoid it, it's super obvious but I've never heard anybody suggest it, so maybe this is one of those 'hidden in plain sight' deals. You know how they have companion gifts? I always like those by the way, thats a cool part of the game. You know how one type of gift is a 'courting' gift. Suppose they made that the 'trigger' for the SGRAs. You simply give the LI you want to romance, but up til now haven't been able to, a 'courting' gift, and that activates the romance, you can now romance them the same as any other LI. It would take away any and all complaints, because if somebody says 'Oh no, I've been hit on by (fill in the blank), this is terrible!' you can laugh at them and say 'Well why were you courting them in the first place?'. Anybody who doesn't want SGRAs in their game still wouldnt have them, because they wouldnt be giving courting gifts to an LI they werent interested in, and those who do want them would finally have them, because courting gifts are super duper easy to get and give to the teammate of your choice.

Of course the easiest thing to do is to just disable the gender checks and give us the SGRAs tomorrow, and I'd certainly enjoy it if they did that, but if they wanted to take a few days and do it the way I suggested, that would probably be the better way to go for them, in terms of making everybody on both sides happy. But whatever they do, hopefully the pressure we're putting on them will force them to do it soon.

PS, on the topic of companion gifts, until they do fully activate the romances for the existing teammates, they could at least make them respond to our courting gifts in a more positive way, 'as if' they were in a romance with our character. You know, the little things they say when you give them a gift. That wouldnt require any new voicework or anything at all, it would just be a nice little piece of the romance to experience until we got the whole thing. Maybe somebody could make that suggestion to one of the higher-ups, that'd certainly be something they could do in virtually no time at all and wouldn't make anybody unhappy.