[ Space Combat ] - dont play it if you dont like it

PandaMonk

Reading the Q&A,

and according to the logic seen there, it seems to me that Bioware applies this reasoning regarding the subject of space combat:

Since "the metrics" are showing that a lot of people are playing space combat as it currently stands,

that means that space combat is not to be redesigned or modified/improved.

Rather, it will be expanded to more missions with the same current design.

So i look at this from my perspective:

Do i play space combat? - Yes

Why? - Because it gives me a XP boost and credits.

Do i rely enjoy it and like the way its done? - Definitely not.

So, if you are like me and you are playing space combat just for the rewards,

,stop playing it, since it seems that BW will interpret this

true metrics and conclude that i must like it if im playing it.

Not sure if it will be understood what point im trying to make.

Don't get offensive is you DO like space combat the way it is, i respect that,

im just stating my own personal opinion and in no way am competent to provide

some absolute strategic advice on game developmet.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading the Q&A,

and according to the logic seen there, it seems to me that Bioware applies this reasoning regarding the subject of space combat:

Since "the metrics" are showing that a lot of people are playing space combat as it currently stands,

It's nice to see people having an epiphany about things, yes not doing something you don't enjoy is a good start.

First, you can focus on things you enjoy and 2nd, it helps companies know how much liked their products are.

You can even expand that thought and not buy at all things that don't match your tastes.

As for the current space content, I just do around 40 missions while leveling a new character and that's all. It works somehow as a little bonus on my way of leveling but it's definitely not something I would do for long.

It needs a huge rework to interest me beyond that, I was hoping for something a lot better.

Agreed. Just because someone is participating in something, does not automatically mean they enjoy it. I do Blackhole dailies once a week because its the only way for me to currently get comms on my server; it does not mean I like them, when in fact I abhor dailies of any kind.

I will run a space mission if I need quick money, but I am sick of them at this point because I shoot the same things in exactly the same order every go; I might as well be botting.

That is the primary flaw with dead metrics. Just because people are floundering and trying to find something in the game to relieve the boredom does not mean they are enjoying themselves. They are trying to justify the sub fee they are paying. That is all.

Edited by Gungan

Reading the Q&A,

One part of me thinks BW knows the majority of people doesn't like space combat but do it because of the quick XP or extra daily commendation.

Another part of me thinks BW is just that dumb.

Well. That is the best way for game leaders to know if a feature is a good thing for a game. If a feature is not being used , then that tells them it is certainly not something the players want. Personally I donot care much for it and therefor, I donot do it hardly at all. I suggest as players, if you donot like a feature, the best way to send a message of that disapproval is to not use it. Most players donot complain on the forums and the developers know that. ;)

I only play it for fast XP on new characters, otherwise I feel like bashing my head because TOR uses arcade games and Starfox flashbacks.

Few years from now we really should get a huge overhall so we have actual space combat....

Edited by Eillack

I have no problems with the current space combat that is in game, but if BioWare would expand it to free roam, PVP and other such things I guess more people would find something to like. I know I would try them all.

As for the current space content, I just do around 40 missions while leveling a new character and that's all. It works somehow as a little bonus on my way of leveling but it's definitely not something I would do for long.

It needs a huge rework to interest me beyond that, I was hoping for something a lot better.

Yes agreed, but however maybe? you should skip that 40 missions while leveling a new character, so that a clear message gets sent via "the metrics" communication system.

Reading the Q&A,

Is it real ? i havent seen it, if its big disappointment ever!

Seems they keep being like WoW and losing sub.After this answer i'll preorder panda when available!

Edited by testcan

heh once again Bioware relies on it's infalable metrics and not on what there clients want. Good work :rolleyes:

I do use the space game to make a quick 100k and commedations but I think the rail shooter space game is a pile of pants(garbage for the layman), is that in your metrics?

I kinda like the Space Missions. I'm liking how my crew is shouting things as if they are manning the guns like in the 'Return' trailer. My character also shouts out relevant things sometimes that have to do with the mission like "They're getting away!".

Maybe it's because I only just got into the space combat now, and I'll eventually get tired of it. Or, because they really showcase the game's soundtrack which I personally don't hear enough of.

Here is the source:

IGN: How about space combat missions, will those be receiving any attention in 1.3? Do you find players still run these missions in-game and how much room do you feel there is to develop the system further?

Daniel Erickson: Space is still heavily utilized by our playerbase, according to our metrics. That being said, there aren't any significant space advances or tweaks..... (shortened answer, see below for rest)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/21/star-wars-the-old-republics-13-patch-revealed

Only this :

Space is still heavily utilized by our playerbase, according to our metrics. That being said, there aren't any significant space advances or tweaks in patch 1.3. However, we do have significant plans for space additions that are well underway, both something smaller for a future Game Update, as well as some very large, long term plans that we can't wait to talk about.

Why did you shorten an already short quote?

"...in patch 1.3. However, we do have significant plans for space additions that are well underway, both something smaller for a future Game Update, as well as some very large, long term plans that we can't wait to talk about."

You made it sound like they were NEVER going to add to space combat, and left out the most important part. People do play it now, and it will be improved further...just not in 1.3.

This thread is useless...

"space additions"

How i interpret the word "additions" is more content on the same platform and design.

If they wanted to announce a design change or modification, why not say so.

Additions are well ... additions.

Edited by PandaMonk

"space additions"

How i interpret the word "additions" is more content on the same platform and design.

If they wanted to announce a design change or modification, why not say so.

Additions are well ... additions.

What about "long term plans that we can't wait to talk about."

I guess Xpack will be big Space rewamp.

heh once again Bioware relies on it's infalable metrics and not on what there clients want. Good work :rolleyes:

I do use the space game to make a quick 100k and commedations but I think the rail shooter space game is a pile of pants(garbage for the layman), is that in your metrics?

If you use it and most players do also....then yeah...they feel like it is a feature most players like. You think they will pay attention to the few complainers here on the forums, versus thousands who use it? This is standard procedure for any MMO. One reason Blizz added the Looking for Raid tool for WoW was thier own internal data showed them the great majority of the player base was not experencing end game content.

Unless this completely backfires and they say "Welp, no one likes space anymore. Cut the staff working on the 3d space project"

Guess I fall into the enjoying it, and look forward to more stats. Perhaps some of us are getting what we want.

OTOH, I do not object to a future expansion that adds 3D Flight, as long as I get to keep this version, too.

If you use it and most players do also....then yeah...they feel like it is a feature most players like. You think they will pay attention to the few complainers here on the forums, versus thousands who use it? This is standard procedure for any MMO. One reason Blizz added the Looking for Raid tool for WoW was thier own internal data showed them the great majority of the player base was not experencing end game content.

Yeah, and metrics are only reliable to show whether people are doing something, or not. There's two finite choices.

Metrics don't show why they are doing it, or whether they like doing it or not.

A lot of people don't hate their jobs, they still do them because of the money they get.

Edited by Gungan