Any words on fleet raiding?

DarthWoad

Like getting a party of 32 players, travelling to the enemy fleet and killing everyone? The longer you're alive/the more you kill the more points you get? These points can be used to purchase the best equipment in game?

What about an entire planet dedicated to pvp, if a faction takes over most of the planet, it will warn everyone on the enemy fleet. Whoever owns the planet each player on that server on that faction gets an xp boost or something?

I really doubt it. The Fleet stations are deliberately supposed to be peaceful places to serve as a hub for Flashpoints, PvP, and general community interaction. Imagine some level 10 has just arrived on Fleet from the starter planet when suddenly a swarm of 50's lay the smackdown on him as soon as he steps off the shuttle... and then camps it for an extended period of time. Even besides that sort of scenario, I know it sounds crazy but believe it or not not everyone likes to PvP. People who aren't into that will very quickly become angry and frustrated when they can't get to the GTN terminal because it's being camped.

There are also potential performance issues. The design team has already said that they're carefully looking into how they might add a dueling area on a Fleet station, because the resultant combat could potentially seriously bog down the rest of the Fleet.

Finally, when you think about it, these "raids" make virtually no contextual sense. Assuming either faction even knows where the other's Fleet headquarters is, any "raid" on such a target would necessarily be a full-scale assault, requiring dozens, if not hundreds, of warships--after all, if you look out the window at either station you can see a lot of starships milling about, and an attack on such a vital location as Fleet Command would almost certainly be cause for all available ships to reinforce in defense. So, for these "raids" we are asked to imagine that this massive battle is going on all around, and then assume that somehow landing craft are able to breach the station's defenses, and then that these landing craft will dispense, not entire battalions of infantry, but at best maybe a dozen or two people who are expected to seize an entire battle station, which is mysteriously defended by no garrison but whoever happens to be there at the time? Even taking into account the players are supposed to be "special", this strains all credibility.

Could I see an instanced Operations-type raid roughly along the lines of "both factions fight over a station"? Sure, that'd be pretty cool. But actual Fleet raids? It's not going to happen--and for very, very good reasons.

With over 250 players on the Imperial Fleet of The Fatman, good luck with that 32 man raid. :)

This ^

Not because the smaller group will be destroyed, but because of the lag that would be created as soon as a massive battle broke out on the fleet. Just 200 people standing around can make for some serious stuttering, let alone effects from attack animations, etc. It would be an absolute slideshow.

With over 250 players on the Imperial Fleet of The Fatman, good luck with that 32 man raid. :)

:) 5 min loading screen upon entering the enemy fleet. Once you finally zoned in, you see your dead body as due the engine/graphics lag you were getting ganked for those last 15 sec of logging by 20 enemy players - while your client was still logging:P

I honestly would love people to experience this. Perhaps fanboys could taste some vinegar and shut up their hype already.

This ^

Not because the smaller group will be destroyed, but because of the lag that would be created as soon as a massive battle broke out on the fleet. Just 200 people standing around can make for some serious stuttering, let alone effects from attack animations, etc. It would be an absolute slideshow.

They'd get sharded or whatever into their own Instance and the people not in the right phase would be mad they couldn't fight.

:) 5 min loading screen upon entering the enemy fleet. Once you finally zoned in, you see your dead body as due the engine/graphics lag you were getting ganked for those last 15 sec of logging by 20 enemy players - while your client was still logging:P

I honestly would love people to experience this. Perhaps fanboys could taste some vinegar and shut up their hype already.

ROFL! Good one...I needed a good laugh..thanks.:)

On the topic of the thread first time I got swarmed by the opposite faction on the Fleet, would be the perfect excuse for me to cancel my sub..:p

I really doubt it. The Fleet stations are deliberately supposed to be peaceful places to serve as a hub for Flashpoints, PvP, and general community interaction. Imagine some level 10 has just arrived on Fleet from the starter planet when suddenly a swarm of 50's lay the smackdown on him as soon as he steps off the shuttle... and then camps it for an extended period of time. Even besides that sort of scenario, I know it sounds crazy but believe it or not not everyone likes to PvP. People who aren't into that will very quickly become angry and frustrated when they can't get to the GTN terminal because it's being camped.

There are also potential performance issues. The design team has already said that they're carefully looking into how they might add a dueling area on a Fleet station, because the resultant combat could potentially seriously bog down the rest of the Fleet.

Finally, when you think about it, these "raids" make virtually no contextual sense. Assuming either faction even knows where the other's Fleet headquarters is, any "raid" on such a target would necessarily be a full-scale assault, requiring dozens, if not hundreds, of warships--after all, if you look out the window at either station you can see a lot of starships milling about, and an attack on such a vital location as Fleet Command would almost certainly be cause for all available ships to reinforce in defense. So, for these "raids" we are asked to imagine that this massive battle is going on all around, and then assume that somehow landing craft are able to breach the station's defenses, and then that these landing craft will dispense, not entire battalions of infantry, but at best maybe a dozen or two people who are expected to seize an entire battle station, which is mysteriously defended by no garrison but whoever happens to be there at the time? Even taking into account the players are supposed to be "special", this strains all credibility.

Could I see an instanced Operations-type raid roughly along the lines of "both factions fight over a station"? Sure, that'd be pretty cool. But actual Fleet raids? It's not going to happen--and for very, very good reasons.

I got a woody with the thought of such PvP awesomeness. I would welcome that in a heart beat and PvP player would love if this could happen. I know I would and I would trade in my 50 to experience such PvP here =)

Edited by Asturias

Ya you on a PvP server huh? How much open world PvP ya see? Thought so.

All the time. All you need to do is leave the fleet and I am on a Dead server. If you would like to see more your self set up event on your server.

What? lol

Guess you haven't played SWTOR yet.

Did you not read the OP? he asked for a " planet dedicated to pvp" well on PvP servers we have them. just because people may not go to them that is on them. As I posted in my last post set up events on your server. Also get off the fleet that would help.

Like getting a party of 32 players, travelling to the enemy fleet and killing everyone? The longer you're alive/the more you kill the more points you get? These points can be used to purchase the best equipment in game?

What about an entire planet dedicated to pvp, if a faction takes over most of the planet, it will warn everyone on the enemy fleet. Whoever owns the planet each player on that server on that faction gets an xp boost or something?

Never. I hope.

I'm sorry, but the fleet is a safe haven.

That said, a planet dedicated to world control mini-games would be epic.

Never. I hope.

I'm sorry, but the fleet is a safe haven.

That said, a planet dedicated to world control mini-games would be epic.

would be better if they had them on worlds we all ready have. That may be just me tho.