Crew Skills for iPhone/Andriod?

Kierz

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly. We have some unflexible things:

- Price for missions to get material for crafting = You can´t drop your companions "salaries" and they dont use that money to buy goods in the market. You have costs, so you need to sell your goods above that price.

- Earnings from loots, quests, flashpoints, etc. = People do craft when they earn better then in that way

- Prices at NPC Shops (if you sell items) = People can sell their Items for a good Price

and Slicing brings you dircetly credits... = Tons of money....

But if we assume that the market will affected by the law of S/D it also the same.

My point is: Nobody will have a purchase power growth but you are wasting time by crafting goods 7/24 with your smartphone

All valid points. The major issue is, AFIK, at the level cap crafting is substandard for gear anyway. Hopefully that will be adjusted in the long term.

Crafters do it for the love of crafting. BW originally wasn't going to put in crafting at all. I like what they've done with it, hopefully they'll find a way to balance it against Operation drops.

i think you run into issues in that its a long standing principle that generally any advantages gained while not at the keyboard have typically constituted an exploit. Not that i would consider this an exploit, but given the history you might see reluctance.

I suppose the simpler issue at hand is not everyone has an iphone/android/blackberry, and by contrast those that do would have a severe advantage. While i think finding ways to keep people interested in the game when not playing it is a great idea, it think going so far as to let them affect the game when not actually playing it seems a stretch.

This was talked about a lot in the old forum and the devs even commented sayings it's something they are looking at. The downside is you have to balance it with the fact that players who don't have Smartphone's won't be able to use the feature creating a potential imbalance in the game.

I am all for it if they can work out those issues.

I can see it now...

Light classical music fills the air as you and your significant other sit across the fine china and candle light. The waiter approaches the table to refill your glasses with the fine selection you have made for the evening and notes that your lobster will be ready soon. From across the table your significant other asks why you keep fiddling with your phone to which you respond, "Just some questions from the office, it's nothing...".

Then from across the room you hear a shout "**** you T7, why the **** can't you finish a simple level 2 Treasure hunt!".

Wistfully you look into the distance, and think to yourself "I feel you bro, I feel you..."

I think this is a stupid idea. Can't we be away from the game at any time? There are many issues why this is just plain silly.

1. Play the game IN THE GAME. Play other games on your phone.

2. How is it fair to people who do not have smart phones? Right now they have tried really hard to make sure all players have the same chance in the game. I think that is one of the reasons they don't want mods and such.

3. People are already complaining about the potential of gold farmers. Can you imagine if they could use this as well?

4. There is a reason they aren't allowing us to line up as many crew missions as we can crafting. I think it is because they want us to be in game and doing the missions while we play not turning the game into SWTORville. If you are only playing 10 hours a week but running missions from work or whatever for an added 20 hours a week what would that do to the economy?

This idea is just not that great and I hope they never do it.

Just my 2 credits.

Well, off hand I'd say that an iPhone or Android should give you bonuses Slicing and Investigation. No clear synergy but decent for Agents, Smugglers or Bounty Hunters. And, hey, a pocket sized companion is novel in its own right.

... oh. You meant apps. Yeah, those would be nice, too.

The WoW iPhone app was a godsend. You could do AH trading from anywhere and check out all your characters across all the servers. It really helped the traders (like myself) to keep up on what was happening. The interface is extremely abbreviated from the full game and really only useful for buying mats and selling stuff. The fact that it pulled from your bank as well as bags was fantastic. It was well worth the $3/month charge.

One of the main limitations is that you can't access it while you're logged into the game. So, no trading on the phone while you're questing across the world from the AH. An understandable check put in place to curb exploitation.

I could see an app like that adding a lot to the game. First and foremost, it gives you something to do while waiting in the 50+ minute queue to get into the game. Secondly, being able to run crew skills while you're out and about is a natural extension of the game itself. Your character can remotely command their minions, so bringing that ability into the real world makes good sense.

The main benefit, though, is freeing up play slots. If I can run crew skills while I'm on the couch, that's one more server slot I'm not taking up "playing" every 5-15 minutes. This decreases server load for those people questing and PvPing and alleviates the queuing we're all getting frustrated about. Everyone wins.

I would love to add in GTN functionality, as well, but that might be too much. Being able to buy and sell mats as well as run crafting skills would be incredible, but maybe that veers too far into "competitive edge" territory. Either way, I would be willing to pay $3-5/month for this feature. The extra bandwidth and development cost needs to be covered somewhere, after all.

Hello,

What do people think about BioWare creating apps for the iPhone/Andriod?

I think it would be great to be able to micro manage your companions from your phone, access the galactic trade market and what not.

What do you guys think?

/signed

I think the coolest way they could do this is have an app with little mini games for each of the crew skills, where you play as your crew member doing the mission. That way, if you aren't playing the game, you still have to at least play a game to get results. I don't like the idea of sending your crew off while you go out to eat or work. The idea of the crew doing it for you over an extended period was so you could play the game instead of sit in a town and craft. Not so that you could send your crew off and go NOT play the game. Edited by Slaign

I have issues with this idea.

1. because your character gets more powerful while you're not playing the game (technically)

2. because you can make money/get loot by again, not playing the game

3. I don't have an iphone/android/whatever and this seems extremely unfair, and I don't see how you resolve that unless you make the skills (when used remotely) give no gains and reward no items (and thus, have no point).