Daniel Erickson thinks X-Server LFG is last resort

tkinnunzero

It has nothing to do with how many hours people play. It has everything to do with the RPG aspect of the game. Does WoW even have a story anymore? Do people even know why they are going into dungeons in WoW anymore? I raided in WoW because my quest lines pointed me in that direction not becasue I wanted to show off my epeen with dps meters and how fast we could complete the raid.

No, it has EVERYTHING to do with how many hours people have to play. If you have 2 or 3 hours to play and it takes well over an hour to even get a group, That is a very big problem for an mmo. Refusing to save this game because something might break your "immersion" is idiotic, if it breaks it, DONT USE IT.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to play a "Don't make me work for anything, I want it all now." game, I'm sure there are plenty of them out there. There are those of us who do not wish to see this game dumbed down to the point of some other games. A little effort and time spent will not kill anyone, but getting the "entitled" masses to understand that is impossible.

Wait... so standing around for 2 hours and spamming general "Looking for tank to do soandso Flashpoint paying if needed" makes it more worthwhile HOW exactly. Yes I know my flawed logic and all that about facilitating things in life dumbs it down too much <rolls eyes> I trust you like, wire messages with morse code and stuff, stay away from those telephones, tweets, and Instant messangers, they have dumbed down our society already... sheesh! I can't believe the entitled masses want cars, phones, computers!

If you want to play a "Don't make me work for anything, I want it all now." game, I'm sure there are plenty of them out there. There are those of us who do not wish to see this game dumbed down to the point of some other games. A little effort and time spent will not kill anyone, but getting the "entitled" masses to understand that is impossible.

So in your mind sitting around shouting in lfg or siting in a same server que for an hour with your thumb up your @#$ is working for something? thats funny i would call that a waste of time, not work.

Huh .. what are you talking about... where is incorporating an LFG whether same server or X-sever dumbing down the game.???

So you think spamming general chat, refreshing your LFG spam time and time again as it fills up with all kinds of dross is working for something... actually running a quest/raid I could say your onto something.. except without a group in which to run that shiney flashpoint or HM or even a mere Heroic 4 it means you have nothing working to start with....

Maybe try trolling another thread where your factless point of view may find you a cookie or two...

EDIT - LOLZ I guess I cant type as fast as some others who also think you talk total rubbish :D... I must try harder!

Edited by Bloodstealer

Dumbed down? I don't really think it can get any dumber than this one. Oddly, some people still want to do most of the dumb, easy heroics, Flashpoints, and Operations that are out there, but they don't even get the chance for that pyrrhic pleasure because there is no one for them to group up with . . . a better LFG tool with cross-server capability will help.

Is it entitlement to want to play a game one paid for? I think instead the entitlement I see here is often displayed by that sort of person says "**** you" to everyone who has a suggestion or critical viewpoint; perhaps you should stop reading the forums and keep your entitlement to yourself.

Huh .. what are you talking about... where is incorporating an LFG whether same server or X-sever dumbing down the game.???

Before X-LFD in WoW there was consequences in the dungeons if people were not prepared and it caused wipes. After X-LFD everything became an AOE spam fest and mechanics were dumbed down for the masses who had no clue what they were doing

Before X-LFD in WoW there was consequences in the dungeons if people were not prepared and it caused wipes. After X-LFD everything became an AOE spam fest and mechanics were dumbed down for the masses who had no clue what they were doing

You mean a dumbed down aoe fest like this games hm flashpoints are right now?

It has nothing to do with how many hours people play. It has everything to do with the RPG aspect of the game. Does WoW even have a story anymore? Do people even know why they are going into dungeons in WoW anymore? I raided in WoW because my quest lines pointed me in that direction not becasue I wanted to show off my epeen with dps meters and how fast we could complete the raid.

You are priceless....

It totally to do with the amount of time you have to play... becuase whether I have 2hrs to achieve a couple of raids etc or whether I have 6 hrs to achieve all raids etc... the whole aspect of my game is based around how long I have to play it RPG or not...

If I log in with 2 hrs to play and 1hr of that is spent spamming the chat channel.. thats a complete waste of my time and ultiumately leading to me giving my monthly sub to another MMO that gets the meaning of what players pay to do.

You might like sitting there waiting around the fleet hoping for a grp or a WZ to pop, or maybe your one of thos who grew tired of being bored on a dead server and re-rolled somewhere else .. COS YOU ALSO WANTED TO PLASY THE GAME.... either way I am glad your enjoying it, many others aren't and in case you hadn't noticed its getting worse every day as players simply drift away... if that's how you think MMO's thrive then much experience you lack for sure....... but then maybe you are one of those classic basin dwellers who have nothing better to do than play a game endlessly all day long 24/7/365

Edited by Bloodstealer

Welcome to the design of current generation MMOs.

Stop running them at 10 levels above and do them at the level they require;)

And still you dont get it.... if players could get a group to run things at levels.. then it wouldnt need to be done as an over level walk through would it..... sheeesh sometime, somewhere the penny has to drop you would think :)

Edited by Bloodstealer

That has absolutely nothing to do with cross-server technology but is a direct consequence of the design in terms of how they want dungeons to play.

The two are not connected in any way other than being in the same game.

You are priceless....

It totally to do with the amount of time you have to play... becuase whether I have 2hrs to achieve a couple of raids etc or whether I have 6 hrs to achieve all raids etc... the whole aspect of my game is based around how long I have to play it RPG or not...

If I log in with 2 hrs to play and 1hr of that is spent spamming the chat channel.. thats a complete waste of my time and ultiumately leading to me giving my monthly sub to another MMO that gets the meaning of what players pay to do.

You might like sitting there waiting around the fleet hoping for a grp or a WZ to pop, or maybe your one of thos who grew tired of being bored on a dead server and re-rolled somewhere else .. COS YOU ALSO WANTED TO PLASY THE GAME.... either way I am glad your enjoying it, many others aren't and in case you hadn't noticed its getting worse every day as players simply drift away... if that's how you think MMO's thrive then much experience you lack for sure....... but then maybe you are one of those classic basin dwellers who have nothing better to do than play a game endlessly all day long 24/7/365

X-LFD doesn't make them thrive. It gives you the illusion that there are lots of players. Get over yourself. Bioware is aware of the population issue and if you read the OP where it was stated that X-LFD wil be a last resort. You may be getting your wish after all but not before they consolidate the servers.

You are so way off dude... the mechainics of a quest/raid etc dont get dumbed down to accomadate LFG's which ever form they come in... they get dumbed down to accomadate the carebears, the kiddies and the whinner brigades that game developers want to try and attract and retain in game, especiually when there are also cash cow incentives that come from bringing that kind of EZ moders into game.... LFG's only server to get people playing the game.. you need consider more than the game.. consider the business behind it.. features attract but challenging content can be risky business if players want it easier... learn the difference and you might go far.. :)

Dont get me wrong I much prefer challenging content anyday of the week.. but where old MMO's used to have age restrictions and such.. nowadays the $$$ wins over adversaty every single time... so challeng is removed more and more players who only want EZ mode come in... and its easier to hook them in.

Edited by Bloodstealer

What really gets under my skin is the hubris. Does this Lead Game Designer never entertain the thought that maybe he could be wrong?

Or maybe a cross-server LFG tool is a LOT more complicated to put into place on their end than a same-server LFG tool and server transfers. They already have the transfer structure in place from adding the Asia/Oceanic servers. A cross-server LFG tool has issues regarding which server hosts the instance, accessing player data from one server even though they are instanced on another server, characters with the same name or same legacy name, etc. So why would any sane developer put in place a cross-server LFG tool before they have a working same-server LFG tool?

We all know the PVP'ers want 15 second ques for their warzones, but a cross-server LFG tool doesn't really help the person with 4 people on their Fleet. Some people actually want to see other people around on their planets, meet some regulars on their server they can group with instead of only being able to do random cross-server groups and have a viable GTN and economy on their server. Instead of trying to put a bandaid (cross-server LFG) on the open, gushing wound, better to actually treat it with a prescription of server transfers, server merges and same-server LFG. They want to see how the server pops shake out after the transfers and then work on merges or super-servers or whatever they are calling it. They've already talked about cross-server LFG for Warzones at some point and that's fine to add that too for the PVP people, but it's not the solution for PVE.

X-LFD doesn't make them thrive. It gives you the illusion that there are lots of players. Get over yourself. Bioware is aware of the population issue and if you read the OP where it was stated that X-LFD wil be a last resort. You may be getting your wish after all but not before they consolidate the servers.

Eermm you wanna show me where I actually said I wanted X-server ... I know full well what any kind of group finder can do both good and bad for a game.

Additonally where did I say it makes a game thrive I said features can attract players into a game and an LFG in SWTORS case makes it easier for players to group up on their server or cross server... rather than spamming general chat. Attracting players into a game which is seeing population declione faster than it can attract is not what I would call thriving.... unless you can prove otherwise.

Sorry I cant compensate for your reading comprehension failures..maybe take a break from the basement mentality and let in the sunlight.. you may see things a little clearer.... better still take a long hard look at your Forum Sig and read it back to yourself as many times as possible... thats if you can actually understand your own strapline..... :D

And if you think server transfers is going to consolidate to the point the problem dissapears you really are reaching... but time will tell.

Edited by Bloodstealer

Eermm you wanna show me where I actually said I wanted X-server ... I know full well what any kind of group finder can do both good and bad for a game.

Additonally where did I say it makes a game thrive I said features can attract players into a game and an LFG in SWTORS case makes it easier for players to group up on their server or cross server... rather than spamming general chat. Attracting players into a game which is seeing population declione faster than it can attract is not what I would call thriving.... unless you can prove otherwise.

Sorry I cant compensate for your reading comprehension failures..maybe take a break from the basement mentality and let in the sunlight.. you may see things a little clearer....

And if you think server transfers is going to consolidate to the point the problem dissapears you really are reaching... but time will tell.

They have close to 200 servers which is damn near triple than what any MMO has ever started with. Transferring players and consolidating servers is going to be much better than what your little mind can perceive

Or maybe a cross-server LFG tool is a LOT more complicated to put into place on their end than a same-server LFG tool and server transfers. They already have the transfer structure in place from adding the Asia/Oceanic servers. A cross-server LFG tool has issues regarding which server hosts the instance, accessing player data from one server even though they are instanced on another server, characters with the same name or same legacy name, etc. So why would any sane developer put in place a cross-server LFG tool before they have a working same-server LFG tool?

We all know the PVP'ers want 15 second ques for their warzones, but a cross-server LFG tool doesn't really help the person with 4 people on their Fleet. Some people actually want to see other people around on their planets, meet some regulars on their server they can group with instead of only being able to do random cross-server groups and have a viable GTN and economy on their server. Instead of trying to put a bandaid (cross-server LFG) on the open, gushing wound, better to actually treat it with a prescription of server transfers, server merges and same-server LFG. They want to see how the server pops shake out after the transfers and then work on merges or super-servers or whatever they are calling it. They've already talked about cross-server LFG for Warzones at some point and that's fine to add that too for the PVP people, but it's not the solution for PVE.

Actually something I found interesting as my home server started dieing a slow death was that the PVP que times got better, I guess as there was nothing else to do as grps became impossible to get going and running alts only keeps players interested as long as they enjoy paying to play a solo game... but that's another issue for antother thread :)

They have close to 200 servers which is damn near triple than what any MMO has ever started with. Transferring players and consolidating servers is going to be much better than what your little mind can perceive

Like I said time will tell.. but keep telling yourself that and keep your fingers crossed cos you and I have no idea what the server transfers are gunna look like, which servers will be open to free transfer and what other effects will affect it.. ie legacy, naming policy, which are free and which are not, how many toon slots will they allow considering many players have left toons behind and re-rolled new ones elsewhere.... And of course whther it gets through testing or even if it does, whether it actually works or not

But again like I said.. time will tell.... my mind is pretty well open to anything as long as it improves the game cos it needs something to happen....yours however seems stuck in its own little world... but as long as your happy that's cool.

Edited by Bloodstealer

So in your mind sitting around shouting in lfg or siting in a same server que for an hour with your thumb up your @#$ is working for something? thats funny i would call that a waste of time, not work.

I'm not saying that spamming chat in fleet for 2 hours is a good thing. A single server LFG tool is a definite improvement. Unlike some, I'm just not willing to say that it will fail without giving it a chance first.

We all know that BW will be implementing instant ports to the instances. But, tell me, how many people would be willing to put in the MINIMAL time and effort to actually travel to the instance if BW did not include this feature, even though most of them will probably be sitting in the fleet anyway? I'd bet that percentage would be in the low single digits. "I want it NOW, how dare you ask us to do anything?"

Actually, there is a BIG difference. If you act like a jerk on the same server, you are accountable. People hear about a certain individual on a server who ninja's loot, or leaves a group that has only killed the first boss because it didnt drop the loot he wanted, people will hear about it and not want to join a group with that person ever again.

When it is cross server, there is no accountability. They can ninja loot, leave a group mid battle and not be held accountable because its likely they will never be seen again. But hey, if you want to delude yourself that this is the best thing for an mmo, then so be it. I will not stop you from thinking it is a good idea. All I can do is voice my own opinion, because I have had these experiences myself, and have left countless games when this cross realm server was implemented.

If you group with jerks like this, or are one, then I really feel sorry for you. :(

There are more than a couple people who are known for doing this kind of thing on our server and they have a VERY hard time finding a group because of it. I have been in groups where they were plain booted from the group for no other reason than the fact they have a reputation for doing what you talked about.

and this is why SWTOR is in the condition it's in. Why layoff's happened. And why (despite bee ess corporate shareholder belly rubbing lies) it has underperformed...

the ones in CHARGE are the ones needing FIRED.

This guy is obviously incompetent. And LFG brings faaaaaaaaaaar more plusses than minuses. And can and will help save dying servers and lost customers.

The LFG tool in WoW kept me playing another 2 years almost..well until I realized what crap cata was and left for good. But I certainly wouldn't have played as long as I did without the LFG tool

I can list many many maaaaaaaaaaaany reasons why an LFG is a good thing...points based off facts...those against it can only claim it "ruins community"...which is a bunch of crap. They cite WoW's crap community as the source of this stupid claim...while failing to realize the WoW communty WAS ALWAYS THAT WAY you just saw it more because YOU WERE RUNNING MORE DUNGEONS.

whatever..with this tool in charge SWTOR will never get to where it could (and should) be.

stupid..EA needs to step in and fire the lead designer and get someone with a clue in there...plain and simple.

And look what happened to the people playing World Of Warcraft when the LFG cross server was implemented. Instead of actual decent players, they became wordless, mindless idiots who cared for nothing but themselves. People who would need on loot they didnt actually need just to sell, or leave a group if a boss they fought didnt drop the loot they wanted, even when it was only the first boss. Why should they care about other people? It is not like they would ever see them again, and even if they did, they can just leave the group and LFG using the tool again.

Yes THAT is what you are promoting, the lack of moral fortitude, or willingness to be patient. So I vow here and now, the day cross server LFG is added, I am GONE!!!!!

and good riddance..like the post I just made....WoW was ALWAYS like that.

get a clue

Cross-server LFG is a disaster in my mind, because I prefer to communicate with those I'm playing with.

Besides that, there are a number of legitimate complaints. In WoW, I would constantly be matched with non-English speaking players who would boot you out if you didn't speak their language. Also, RP and non-RP servers were in the same battlegroup, so there would be additional conflicts of interest on top of the general anonymous douchery.

I like playing with people from my server because if I enjoyed playing with them we add each other to friends list and continue to group together in the future.

Edited by Jenzali