Khem Val: Best. Companion. Ever.

Heezdedjim

Have no idea what is with all the khem lovers, but every

Inquisitor I talked to one on one, (sorcs AND sins) say khem is useless.

And a lot of these people vote for khem in public.

Srs guys.. You can say how you feel about stuff. Just cuz ur not

In the Kool Khem Klub, doesn't make you any less cool...

Please have the courage to have your own personality.

Willdo.

I love Khem :)

A fair number of people in this thread are actually objecting to Khem if you read through. And whether you think any character is good/bad is going to depend on (a) if you're more interested in their abilities than their plotline (gear also matters there) and (b) if your character has a style that meshes with them.

E.G. I'd probably get on with Skadge ok on my inquisitor, but I hate his guts on my BH who actually has him... Khem is utterly perfect for my Inq though (whereas Ashara's incorruptibility is annoying as heck, but would be fine for my BH). Even aside from that though, the genuine choice in Khem's plotline makes him one of the more potentially interesting characters out there.

On a standard-use play level, Khem is also handy cos my Inq is deception assassin so I like a dude who lets me use maul more frequently. A tank assassin could accurately say he's totally useless even if they actually like Khem as a character though.

Edited by Lakhesis

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have no idea what is with all the khem lovers, but every

Inquisitor I talked to one on one, (sorcs AND sins) say khem is useless.

And a lot of these people vote for khem in public.

Srs guys.. You can say how you feel about stuff. Just cuz ur not

In the Kool Khem Klub, doesn't make you any less cool...

Please have the courage to have your own personality.

Please stop hitting Enter at random times while you're typing. There's no need for you to do manual line breaks.

And maybe, just maybe, people say Khem is cool because they think Khem is cool. Being useless and being cool is not mutually exclusive. I think Khem is cool, but I also think he's rubbish in combat. You need to spend all your commendations, on every planet, on new gear for him, or his efficiency drops like a rock.

Andy is easier as he just needs a new set of blaster barrels once in a while. His damage output is ridiculously high compared to Khem's, even when not geared very well.

Khem is high maintenance, Andy is low. As an Assassin, I prefer to spend the money and commendations on myself, since I need to be able to tank Flashpoints without falling apart.

Khem does not like me. Since I decided to go light side on my new Sorc, he hates everything I do and I think if it was possible, I would have negative affection with him. He is also impossible to shut up - yes Clem (our name for Khem), I know that you want to break your bonds and eat me. I wish that I had thrown you into the depths of the pit when I first defeated you.

Actually for play he is not to bad. The problem is that he is not to good either. He indeed must be kept in the best possible gear or in any fight he melts faster than an ice cube on the sidewalk in Arizona at mid day in summer. I nominate him for he game's slowest closer. His damage is weak. But he has kept my healer alive through many levels, so I give half of a star and cluster to Clem.

So whether or not you like your Clem is your own opinion, but I would have to say that he is not the best companion ever (not even second or third or fourth or ......). After the first force leap by Ashara (who we call Sharona), Clem ended up banished to his spot in my ship where he now spends his time crafting junk and dwelling on the days when he ate force users for a hobby. My gal and I have since traveled the universe and have shared many an adventure together in happy (plutonic) harmony.

Edited by asbalana

• 3 months later...

My 2 level 50 characters are healers. Both a sage and a Sorc, I never leave the fleet without my 7 foot tall menacing tank.

I like Qyzen's personality a little bit better mostly, I suppose, because he thinks I am some sort of messiah. However, on the pure awesome scale, Khem Val wins hands down!

Khem speaks in a sophisticated sounding language but I'll bet to people who also speak that language he sounds like a slack jawed yokel. Lets face it, Khem is not a deep thinker.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that Qyzen sounds like a southern baptist tent revival preacher.

Hmmmm. I don't have any other companion but him yet, so it's fair to say he's best.

However, as a Darkness Assassin I am tank. Having a tank companion as a tank is not quite ideal, and not particularly fun. (Meaning, having a damage dealer companion as damage dealer isn't ideal either - but it's a lot fun - all or nothing.)

• 2 months later...
Honestly, I'm kind of a fan of all the Trooper companions simply because it's easier to keep them in gear. They all (w/the exception of the droid tank who is useless) have heavy armor with aim as the primary stat. Every time you get new armor, you simply pass your old stuff on to whomever your companion is. So they always stay in good stuff.

My sorc is at 45 and just heading to Voss and so far my only complaint is that he doesn't get to eat enough of our enemies. Overall, A++.

He does start out a bit whiny, but his situation IS deplorable. He ran with Tulak Hord, a real deal classic Sith Lord, so of course you don't impress him. But you get to earn his respect over the long arc, it's great.

Later on he gets another big reason to complain, but it's your chance to really get over with him and be BFFs if you go that route. At least I think that's where it is going...

So, instead of a big, dumb, sword-wielding lizard, I have a big, dumb, sword wielder who looks like the squash in "Plants vs. Zombies".

Hey now, Khem is an intelligent, sophisticated monster.

He is talented at solving mysteries (investigation) and extremely finely detailed, highly technical crafting (artifice), and loves cultural artifacts (gift preference).

• 1 year later...
honestly if you expect the best of of a simple companion khem val was bred into destruction you equip him with the best armor and weapons and watch him rip bodies and Jedi apart do some history research on him and experiment with him and you wont die but he will take alot of mobs with him before he dies he beats the gunner that i got and the stupid droid that heals very little. so he is my tank this however is my very post i am a lvl 38 sith assassin and i haven't gotten my healer on taris yet! first time playing :rak_04: Edited by corviante

honestly if you expect the best of of a simple companion khem val was bred into destruction you equip him with the best armor and weapons and watch him rip bodies and Jedi apart do some history research on him and experiment with him and you wont die but he will take alot of mobs with him before he dies he beats the gunner that i got and the stupid droid that heals very little. so he is my tank this however is my very post i am a lvl 38 sith assassin and i haven't gotten my healer on taris yet! first time playing :rak_04:

holy 2+year rez thread. why?

Xalek is the true best companion. Cold, ruthless, charismatic with his snappy one-liners of "Master" and "My Lord". He is everything a companion should be. With a softer side as well which he rarely shows. He would die on the battlefield to protect his master from death, he isn't just an apprentice to the inquisitor, he is also a best friend.

• 3 weeks later...
Ashara.......nuff said

Agreed. Especially if your a sorc healer he's useless. My Ashara is geared with all 168's and I'm but 1 away from total 180's. I would never use use khem. And if your playing a healer right he's a waste of time. Xalek works better than him and if you play healer right ashara's dps is the only way to go. I can solo Oricon in less than 20 minutes with her. Khen isn't even worth wasting ark gear on.

He works for my DS Inquisitor. He is a better match than Qyzen. Affection point scheme is easy. Favored gift is a hard to get one. Dies a lot in the game-supplied gear, so has to be geared. backstory is nice, but dialogues are boring. (Shrug) Nothing special for me. Looking forward more to meeting Andronikus and Ashara. Edited by DomiSotto